Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

My heart says Takayasu, but that head/neck hit in November was pretty bad and I don't know how he's been looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Taco Keisho
Tako Kenshiro

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Tamawashi
Ryuden

M6-10:
Oho
Hiradoumi
Myogiryu

M11+:
Okinoumi
Kagayaki
Chiyomaru

Bentai fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 3, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I want him to be fine, and I will happily take a demotion deeper into Juryo if it means he can put up a KK or even finally seal the deal.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

JSA opened up a new online shopping store, but of course they'll only deliver within Japan: https://sumall.sumo.or.jp

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://sumall.sumo.or.jp/products/4571588954321
Limited edition goodie bags for 11000Y that include a randomly selected tegata. They even have little charms made from the Kokugikan dohyo clay too. Neat little stuff.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

pseudodragon posted:

I should start paying more attention to Makushita. I've been checking the banzuke between basho because I've been tracking the prospects of Hak and Kise's guys as they're working their way up and the first of the actual recruits (not guys that transfered over like Hokuseiho or vets like Enho) are getting up into upper Makushita and should be pushing for Juryo soon. I hope they succeed and send a bunch of guys up to prove modern techniques work.
One of the joys of MidnightSumo and Karla_Sumoist is they show the entire banzuke, not just the top rank. Quite often some of the day's better sumo comes from the lower ranks, since those wrestlers aren't yoked with fat and muscle, so it's more judo/grappling than pusher/thruster.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Midnight Sumo is live and is showing the dohyo purification ceremony.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

quote:

Demon Kakka (Japanese: デーモン閣下, Hepburn: Dēmon Kakka, "His Excellency Demon"), previously known as Demon Kogure (デーモン小暮, Dēmon Kogure), is a Japanese musician, songwriter, entertainer, journalist, sumo commentator, actor and voice actor. He first gained fame in the 1980s as vocalist of the heavy metal band Seikima-II, before starting a solo career in 1990 and branching out into other forms of entertainment.

I love this sport. :allears:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It looks like Tokushoryu, the People's Champ, did not retire. He'll be fighting on even numbered days this basho (day 2, day 4, day 6, etc.) as Makushita #2 West.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, I'd love to take part in the discussions (or at least read the posts), but since I usually watch the NHK highlights, I'm a day behind most posters.
Would it be possible to put a day number before the spoiler tags?

Day 1 : Shodai lost again
If you want, NattoSumo on Youtube uploads recap videos every day with most of the pre-match ceremonies cut out, so you can get through a whole day of top rank in about a half hour or less.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 3: Terutsuyoshi still has not won. :smith:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 3: Papa is looking washed out this tournament, seemed like he was protecting his neck during the bout.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 4: Terutsuyoshi finally got a win! :woop:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kenning, if I can, I'd like to trade Oho for either Ura or Hokutofuji. Thanks!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kenning, sorry to do this but I gotta get rid of Okinoumi as well. Kotoshoho, Azumaryu, Kotoeko, Takarafuji. Dealer's choice.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 6: Papayasu and Okinoumi are kyujo. :smith:
*edit*
Removed spoiler tag for draft purposes.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 13, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Okinoumi is retiring

DeepL Translate posted:

On January 13, it was learned through interviews with persons in the know that Okinoumi (37), a former ozekiwake and the 12th rank in the nishi-maegashira division, whose real name is Ayumi Fukuoka and is from Okijima-cho, Shimane Prefecture, in the Hakkaku stable, has decided to retire from active sumo. The veteran rikishi, who became the first rikishi from Shimane Prefecture to be promoted to sekiwake in 121 years, will close the curtain on his career in the ring.

According to those involved, he had been complaining of leg pain since the Kyushu Tournament in 2010, and lost all matches from the first day to the fifth day of this year's Hatsu-sho (first tournament), and announced on the sixth day (13th) that he would be absent from the tournament.

Okinoumi, who stands 189 cm tall and weighs 161 kg, was scouted by the Hakkaku stable when he was a senior at Oki Suisan High School and decided to join the sumo world.

In the spring tournament of 2010, he became the first Shimane-born rikishi in 88 years to be newly promoted, and in the first tournament of 2011, he won the Fighting Spirit Award for the first time with an 11-4 record. He has won the Distinguished Service Medal and the Fighting Spirit Medal a total of five times. His first gold star came against yokozuna Harumafuji in the Kyushu Tournament in 2012, bringing his total number of gold stars to four.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I read that Okinoumi has elder stock, so he'll be kicking around the sumo world for quite a while to come. Not sure if he's going to open his own stable or what though.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 7: For the love of god someone get Shodai a sports psychologist, he's got SUCH a case of the yips, what is going on?

Abi v Hoshoryu was a solid match, Hoshoryu is a man on a mission. Also this was kinda funny at the end:
https://clips.twitch.tv/AbrasiveBelovedBubbleteaYee-k0O6mAN1IO0RVoPr

But oh my the Midorifuji vs Takakeisho match was just so good. Intense from start to finish, Keisho ducking or parrying almost half a dozen face slap attempts, and that mid bout standup/stare down? What a fight.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BigBelovedWormThunBeast-pMNr6pKHOyXiNnae

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It looks like my brand of sumo is to be the caboose of Fantasy Juryo. Goddamn.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 8:

Loving the crowd.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 8: Tobizaru with some clown sumo monkey magic to get the win, impressive leg sweep.

Shodai is officially washed from his Ozeki chance this tournament.

Hoshoryu straight up pulled a "throw the drunk out of the bar" on Sadanoumi. I need to get a good screenshot of Hosho's face just after the match too, it'd be a perfect emote somewhere.

Takakeisho with the slappatoshi win, still tied for the lead. A good day.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

bartolimu posted:

Yeah I saw those Hokutofuji signs and I have never wanted any piece of sumo merch more than that in my life. It's perfect.
I want one, and to find a way to politely ask him for his tegata on the sign.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 9: Ura the magician, I didn't know casting spells was a legal move: https://clips.twitch.tv/EncouragingTransparentMallardPJSugar-F5C9JOk32nK5WUN3 -- The slow motion replay is even better: https://clips.twitch.tv/LaconicInexpensiveCaterpillarTBTacoLeft-AN6D9kI7A4xJzNdI

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It was found out that Mr. Mustard is the head chef and/or owner of a trendy restaurant in Kanazawa. He was wearing his chef uniform as a way to "promote" the place by getting on camera for most of the day.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That part of the culture needs to go. If Hosh's doctors say "give it a day and come back if it feels better" then that's fine, he doesn't need to make it worse. :(

Day 10: Enho might have gotten his left arm tweaked in his fight. He got the win, but at one point he got trapped in an arm bar/lock that sorta looked like it might have hyper-extended his elbow?

Shodai showed up.

Hair game on point tonight:

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 17, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 11: Welp. Hamster ain’t getting the rope with a 13-2 yusho. But maybe in March if he keeps this up.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kicking back at his stable, left arm in a sling, drinking the finest cocktails and wearing the freshest kimono.

(dude pulled out on day 3 or 4 after he dislocated his left shoulder)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

YDC decides to not award him the rope, announcing that even with his Ozeki records, they feel that bleeding from the nose is not upholding the dignity of the position. :v:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Nativity In Black posted:

Imagine if keisho gets the rope and immediately goes kyujo.
Yokozuna privilege baby. Kick back on the beach for a couple months and rest up.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1617468219392131072

No rope for the Hamster.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There should still be a middle ground somehow, so a wrestler can get the recovery they need without dropping way down the rankings. Maybe limiting the number of times a year they can sit out without loss of rank, and then have a slightly less punishing rank drop if they go over that. Just kinda spitballing.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Natto claimed on his Ko-Fi supporters page that his latest takedown wasn't even a legit NHK copyright strike, it was someone with a grudge against them, trying to get him deplatformed on Youtube.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://tachiai.org/2023/01/25/new-juryo-for-haru-3/

Juryo promotions are out:
The People's Yokozuna, Tokushoryu
Tomokaze
Tamashoho
The newest Miyagino-oyakata/Hakuho recruit who bodied the Makushita division at Ms15 with a 7-0 yusho, Ochiai

No word about demotions, but it'll likely be:
J13w Kaisho
J11e Chiyosakae
J10w Terutsuyoshi

Bentai fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 25, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I know someone was trying to quickly archive as much as they could at 480p. Really hope they got all of it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/Sumo_Jason/status/1618111920032342017

We can’t have nice things.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Brut posted:

That's cuz you're seeing bad rebroadcasts at like 540p or whatever, go find a working Japanese VPN and look at the actual Abema feed.
I watch Midnight Sumo who does 720p from their Abema feed. The main dohyo camera for Abema has the white balance set to auto, you can tell because the moment the judges come up for a mono-ii it's like a drat flashbang went off.

NHK Plus IPTV has the english feed, but you have to jump through some wild rear end hoops to get access to NHK Plus, and even then it'll only be good for one month before they nuke the account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I had a dream earlier this week where the JSA held a Grand Sumo event at the MGM Grand in Vegas, and I hung out with a really dapper dressed Kaisei as we wandered to the arena.