Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

CaptainCourteous posted:

With regard to OP's point, I think the juxtaposition has to have something to do with Bond films.

Maybe I'm conflating things a bit since these were my two favorite franchises as a kid, but many of the Roger Moore films in particular--which were surely on the mind of early 80's action filmmakers for reasons good and bad--were also defined by a mix of classic, fun adventure and over the top kills.

Coming back to this after a few months, I just happened to watch Octopussy from 1983 for the first time (I'd seen bits and pieces on TV before) and the majority of the movie takes place in India, there's an early game of wits between Bond in a white tux and a villain seated in a very public place (though it's quite a bit tamer than a similar scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom), there's a chase through the jungle with various animals and creepy-crawlies (though it's quite a bit lamer than any of the similar scenes in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom), and a henchman gets eaten by a crocodile in a body of water (though far fewer than the numerous villains who get eaten by crocodiles in a body of water in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom).

Oh, and there's a dinner scene in a palace in which a villain offers Bond the entree "stuffed sheep's head" in the EXACT cadence of "chilled monkey brains" in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdb808P4CRU&t=102s
(frankly, I think the monkey brains looked more appetizing...)

So, um, I'm starting to get the feeling much of the plot and set pieces for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom were centered entirely around trying to directly one-up the most recent James Bond film. And yeah, truth be told, I must say Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom certainly is on the whole much grander, more exciting, funnier, more intense, and way grosser than Octopussy, for sure. And Harrison Ford looks better in a white tux than Roger Moore (not a fair fight, I admit).

On the plus side for Octopussy, it's arguably less racist (if you consider relegating all Indians as disposable henchmen and window dressing an improvement over playing a major, active part in the story but making their culture look like a total farce) and Bond floats around in a crocodile disguise. Oh, and it's called "Octopussy," which by itself is worth a few points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Shageletic posted:

It's still an odd moment. This is the end of your movie, the capstone of a saga of one of the most iconic, if not most iconic hero in modern movies. A new character knocking you unconscious because you've lost your will to live.

What a weird loving movie.

It's definitely odd to say the least, but to me it makes thematic sense within the logic of the movie. Indiana Jones is really old and ineffective in this film. He's getting by but he's not in his element anymore. The movie treats him with affection but not with respect.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

But who wanted that? Was there alot of public desire for an Indiana Jones, but he sucks?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Captain Jesus posted:

It's definitely odd to say the least, but to me it makes thematic sense within the logic of the movie. Indiana Jones is really old and ineffective in this film. He's getting by but he's not in his element anymore. The movie treats him with affection but not with respect.

Yeah I thought it was clunky but the general treatment of the character/supporting folks were fine and I didn't have a problem with the plot itself. Overall I really did like it quite a bit more than Crystal Skull but still didn't particularly blow me away. I don't know, fun stuff but I don't see myself watching it again. Maybe needed more time in some way to make it an all-timer but for such a late sequel it was cool.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Shageletic posted:

But who wanted that? Was there alot of public desire for an Indiana Jones, but he sucks?

I don’t know about everyone else, but one of things I liked most about Indy was that he was almost always in over his head. He was clever and capable but also lucky as hell and often got the poo poo kicked out of him.

But that being said, it does hit different when the reason he’s in over his head is that he’s 80 loving years old.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I took a piss after the scene where he was yelling at kids in his boxers after slugging a bottle of booze and I was kind of like, man do I want to go back to see this poo poo. It sucks

Thankfully I guess the movie didn’t spend too much time with old hosed up Indy but still.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Splint Chesthair posted:

I don’t know about everyone else, but one of things I liked most about Indy was that he was almost always in over his head. He was clever and capable but also lucky as hell and often got the poo poo kicked out of him.

But that being said, it does hit different when the reason he’s in over his head is that he’s 80 loving years old.

Going back and watching KotCS after DoD is hilarious, because much of the humor is about how old Indy is, which is farcical compared to the latest one. Actually, going back to it, with hindsight they could have just ignored all the "he's old" stuff because he doesn't seem it at all.

DoD even feels believable to me to some extent because I imagine 80 year old Harrison Ford does stuff no normal octogenarian does, like diving or rock climbing.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Just saw it. I don’t think they understood why people didn’t like crystal skull. It wasn’t because Indy had a son or that he was married to Marion it was because it had a lame rear end story and too many cgi animals which is still present here

Love how the director claimed the film is 90% practical when every single scene looks like it’s green screened and New York City looks like a cartoon backdrop. The only fun part was the opening scene maybe they should have just released that as a short film in front of a Star Wars movie or something and called it a day.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
They should have cut a couple of the chase sequences and had going back in time be the halfway point of the film. It's such a great concept that they could have done so much with. Have Indy's archaeological expertise be a key plot driver, or explore him coming to terms with it not matching up to his expectations/what he thought he knew, there's all kinds of directions they could have taken it that would have been a lot of fun. Have a chariot chase through downtown Syracuse if they really can't let that trope go.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They should have cut a couple of the chase sequences and had going back in time be the halfway point of the film. It's such a great concept that they could have done so much with. Have Indy's archaeological expertise be a key plot driver, or explore him coming to terms with it not matching up to his expectations/what he thought he knew, there's all kinds of directions they could have taken it that would have been a lot of fun. Have a chariot chase through downtown Syracuse if they really can't let that trope go.

Yeah and how was it that we didn't get people getting blasted by the ancient sci-fi weapons? They really missed a good Indy villain sendoff there.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah they really missed a beat with the ending not being much more of the film as it really is just an interesting place for indy to be, and could of let his character do interesting and fun things that arn't just old man action. It really was a great idea of where to go with the end of the franchise.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That chase in NYC looked awful, and for being so heavy with CG they could have at least made it look like more than 30 people were in lower Manhattan for the moon landing’s ticker tape parade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

DoD even feels believable to me to some extent because I imagine 80 year old Harrison Ford does stuff no normal octogenarian does, like diving or rock climbing.

He repeatedly crashes planes, that's pretty unique