Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Watching the CSK fans be broken whenever a wicket happens but them knowing it means a chance Dhoni bats is something strange.

What's the short story about Dhoni? Why does he get such massive reactions from the crowd (beside his wonderful hair)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He was the talismanic India captain for many a year. The people love him.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
god drat what an ending
SRH wins by 1 run on the last ball

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

god drat what an ending
SRH wins by 1 run on the last ball

Ya fuckin clutch that. Thought there was gonna be a superover

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

Watching the CSK fans be broken whenever a wicket happens but them knowing it means a chance Dhoni bats is something strange.

What's the short story about Dhoni? Why does he get such massive reactions from the crowd (beside his wonderful hair)?

Dhoni arrived at the perfect time and performed miracles to become a demigod.

Tendulka was coming to the end of his career so the Indian public was looking for a new idol, it was at this time dhoni was beginning to show his skills.

While India has been doing well in Tests the public really wanted success in ODIs and the emerging t20 format and Dhoni gave them it.

Has he played down the order he was usually the man to finish, successfully, bug run chases. This gave him an aura. He was made captain, something was very good at, and delivered world cup after world cup.

This took him from mere mortal to second only to Pakistan's greatest ever export.

Add to that that he wraps himself in the Indian flag and you have someone who is so far from touchable it is unbelievable. This is the guy who wore an army symbol on his gloves to an ICC event and got away with it.

Then add in he has won the IPL loads as captain and top player along with playing down the order means he cannot fail, only be failed AND he doesn't actually need to do much playing anymore AND he is that new breed of player that will be going well into his forties and, well, GOD.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The cult of personality around Indian cricketers is insane. A person was murdered last month for celebrating Rohit getting out. In 2022 a Kohli fan killed someone for saying Rohit was better.
It goes the other way too. There are numerous Kohli fan clubs that go out and feed the homeless on his birthday. It's wild and yet it seems somehow less intense than the Dhoni love.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

BWV posted:

The cult of personality around Indian cricketers is insane. A person was murdered last month for celebrating Rohit getting out. In 2022 a Kohli fan killed someone for saying Rohit was better.
It goes the other way too. There are numerous Kohli fan clubs that go out and feed the homeless on his birthday. It's wild and yet it seems somehow less intense than the Dhoni love.

Tbf I would kill for Kohli.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Dhoni is a fraud btw. He had like two important game winning innings and about 100 where he failed.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

That world cup final knock was pretty good.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BWV posted:

When the Indian team were last here, some random staff member let himself into Kohli’s room and posted a bunch of videos from inside on social media.

What an insane thing to get fired and blacklisted for lol

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/MatthewDaubney/status/1786674837353623922

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Rashid Khan seems to have fallen off a cliff, just getting smashed every game.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Broken link

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Josh Baker, the young Worcestershire spinner who died last week, was taken for 34 in one over by Ben Stokes in a county championship game. Stokes texts him afterwards to say "I got loving mullered in one over in a T20 world cup final, you'll be fine". Baker then concedes just 29 runs off 35 overs in the return fixture

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Corey Anderson is going to play in the world cup. For America.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Might as well give them a player or two to help out a bit.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

goatface posted:

Might as well give them a player or two to help out a bit.

The amazingly named Cameron Steel is also going to play

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I wonder which of the established nations is going to fall to one of the smaller teams. I would give a hearty lol if India lose to the USA

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Josh Baker, the young Worcestershire spinner who died last week, was taken for 34 in one over by Ben Stokes in a county championship game. Stokes texts him afterwards to say "I got loving mullered in one over in a T20 world cup final, you'll be fine". Baker then concedes just 29 runs off 35 overs in the return fixture

That's a Great story. I love stokes so much.

I never know what to say when someone passes, especially one so young. May his memory be a blessing (saying 100% stolen from our jewish pals).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I watched American Gods recently and kept being distracted by this character’s resemblance to a famous cricket player. He looks like said cricketer’s slightly less handsome older brother.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...5&bih=549&dpr=2

To which cricketer am I referring?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

therattle posted:

I watched American Gods recently and kept being distracted by this character’s resemblance to a famous cricket player. He looks like said cricketer’s slightly less handsome older brother.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...5&bih=549&dpr=2

To which cricketer am I referring?

Vm Kohli?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tarbrush posted:

Vm Kohli?

Yep! I’m not crazy for seeing it, right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think you'll find that's heresy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

I think you'll find that's heresy.

Only in India. And I did say that he was less handsome than Virat!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a risky stance anywhere these days. Haven't you seen the recent rumours about Indian security agents assassinating people in other countries?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Gotta laugh at Mason Crane taking a 5-for while going at 6.56 per over.
He actually did well to drag it back, since after 10 overs he'd gone for 90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Even Joe Root thinks the current English domestic schedule is loving broken