Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Variable Bounce is the name of my ska band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

webmeister posted:

Variable Bounce is the name of my ska band

Variable Swing is the name of my swing band.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

We used to play on mostly grass wickets in the West Norfolk League Division 2 matches when I was 14–17 years old.

Also, grass pitches only when I played for my minor county when I was u/15-16.

The best pitch I ever played on was at Trinity College in Cambridge.

A bit of a road, though.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
In Melbourne playing on grass wickets is definitely more common than astro at all levels. Even juniors and my relatively average level is grass only. School cricket will have a lot more astro, but if you're playing on the weekend in a proper club side it's more likely to be grass than not.

And yes the pitch definitely has a huge impact on the game. If it's rained a lot during the week you can get real slow wickets with no pace and low bounce which nullifies a lot of bowling but also completely messes up the batsman's timing, so makes for slow going hard and attritional cricket. Conversely if it's been a hot week you can get wickets that will play beautifully for most of the day then late in the afternoon start cracking and spinning big.

Generally at the amateur level you will see cracks, indentations, small ridges and other imperfections in the wicket much more frequently than in professional cricket due to the aforementioned lack of groundskeeping resources. Every inner Melbourne Council employs a team of curators who are in charge of all the public wickets in their suburb, but obviously they can't all be everywhere at once so the attention each individual wicket gets is far less than at the professional level. Almost every club will have a roller in the clubhouse they can use themselves on the day of the game too. In my league, clubs can be fined or docked points if pitch is not fit for play without any explanation.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 17, 2024

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

webmeister posted:

Most of the time in lower level cricket, you’ll be playing on fake grass/astroturf kind of pitches. Prepared grass pitches is something (in my experience anyway) that really only happens at the upper level of amateur cricket and then professional leagues above that.

Most suburban clubs don’t have the resources or equipment to fully prepare grass pitches - and even if they did, you’d get people trampling it inadvertently while walking their dog, kicking a football around etc

Not really true, especially in Melbourne. There's no shortage of clubs a long way from a real standard of cricket that have turf wickets.

The clubs themselves might not have the resources to maintain a wicket, but it's typically council ovals and facilities, or private school alumni clubs.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, I play low level English village cricket, and I can't think of a regular opponent that doesn't have a grass wicket. We are in posh Surrey, so maybe that affects things.

And yeah, it makes a big difference. Most clubs have fairly stable pitches, so you know if you're going to get a road, a pudding or whatever.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Heaps of grass tracks in qld as well growing up. Some of the highschool grounds were synthetic though.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Haven't played in over a decade but I can't recall playing a proper game on synthetic/concrete since primary school. Was lucky enough to play on some extremely well maintained grounds through high school.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The two cricket pitches near me are made of astro turf and dog poop

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fanatic posted:

The two cricket pitches near me are made of astro turf and dog poop

A stinky wicket?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/onetooves/status/1769771408744132612?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

THE HUNDRED DRAFT LIVE NOW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8uXgiPomgo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Thanks for the warning

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nobody wanted Davey Warner.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

goatface posted:

Nobody wanted Davey Warner.

Was he eligible?

Serious question. Coz I don't know which forms of the game he has or hasn't retired from.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Was he eligible?

Serious question. Coz I don't know which forms of the game he has or hasn't retired from.

The hundred isn’t international cricket. Yet.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The IPL starts tomorrow. I don't want to make an effort post but it's a great weekend watch for those of us in North America.
Gujarat and Chennai probably still have the best teams, and the latter is especially fun because the pageantry and genuflecting around Dhoni is like nothing else. Feel like there might be a bit of pressure on some of the older Indian guys to play well leading into the World Cup. Maybe this is the year these low strike rate bums finally get criticized but who knows.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Last year was my first time watching IPL and it ruled! T20 is such a fun format (thread title still true).
I crave that no ball siren.
And, yea BWV, time slot for NA is great for me. Makes my work morning go by much faster and I can actually watch the matches finish, unlike most Test matches going on in the middle of the night.

siriuslysomething posted:

Finally got over my denial about no libraries near me having it and bought Hitting Against the Spin. Excited to get to reading it.

I got about 30 pages left in this and it's been an amazing read. Really helping me understand so much more about the game.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

Digital Jedi posted:

I got about 30 pages left in this and it's been an amazing read. Really helping me understand so much more about the game.

It was super interesting. It helped me understand a lot of things better and mostly helped me appreciate T20 more (even though it is still my least favorite of the formats).

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
Decided I'm going to try to watch as much of the IPL as possible since I'm on break this week. Also, for no reason besides I had a Punjabi roommate in college think I'm going to support the Punjab team. Please let me know if there is any real reason not to..

Catching up on the Sri Lanka - Bangladesh Test.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
excited for more :siren: baffling Haydos commentary :siren:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Warner with a great drop catch

And a smashed 6 to win it by PBKS

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

love that old man Andre Russell still has "Dre Russ" on the back of his jersey and that he just walks in and starts mashing boundaries against these lil Indian boys. To think that West Indies could've had him, Pollard, and Narine all on the team but hosed it up.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Very competitive and excellent ending in the KKR-Hyderabad game. Some big TATA Dream 11 Jio Sport Sixes

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
God T20 endings are exciting stuff

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Is Hulu not showing the IPL this year? Cowards.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

A wild dog just ran across the field in the GT-Mumbai game. They should have this happen more often.

https://x.com/Fifa2022PS5/status/1771918312638644614?s=20

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
All sports should have dogs run onto the field of play

Coming down to the last two balls
And, they only get a 1! ouch

What a close match

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Digital Jedi posted:

All sports should have dogs run onto the field of play

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Chennia won again today with Dhoni still yet to face a ball. They had a few chances to bring him in during the last 2 overs but Jadeja and some guy named Sameer Rizvi (who was smashing it) came on instead. A human victory cigar that they don't even light. The funniest part is that the crowd still reflexively cheers every time batters 5-7 get out.
Rachin Ravidra has looked great.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
SRH just batting like crazy. 173-3 and only at 12.4 overs. Real high scoring pace

edit: 277-3, new IPL high score record. What an innings

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 27, 2024

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/voigthill/status/1772945073535143984?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Bit of a hit over midwicket

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What do the arrows next to player names mean on the cricinfo scorecards for the IPL?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

You can make 1 substitute.
E: if you scroll down to the match details it will tell you when the sub was made.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

So sub a batter on or off between innings to get another bowler when fielding? Yeah, guess that makes sense and I should have been able to intuit it, but I don't watch enough T20.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

SRH just batting like crazy. 173-3 and only at 12.4 overs. Real high scoring pace

edit: 277-3, new IPL high score record. What an innings

Just watched the highlights and that was insane. Speaking of the "impact player," my prediction is that we see a team get 300 this year or next. With teams now being able to play 8 legit batters and considering how good some of these lower order allrounders are it just makes sense that everyone goes balls to the wall and eventually you'll get something like yesterday.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Newbie to cricket - Did a interview project for a sports analytics company that used IPL data to test the interviewee's ability to create a model and learned a bunch. But it was after the IPL had completed (such a short season!) and meant to check it out this year.

I'm a few matches late, but I found Willow TV and watching now. This has the vibe of playoff baseball with even more dingers, I love it already.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nybble posted:

Newbie to cricket - Did a interview project for a sports analytics company that used IPL data to test the interviewee's ability to create a model and learned a bunch. But it was after the IPL had completed (such a short season!) and meant to check it out this year.

I'm a few matches late, but I found Willow TV and watching now. This has the vibe of playoff baseball with even more dingers, I love it already.

Hi! Feel free to ask any questions (that a basic internet search can’t answer). The rules and tactics can be quite arcane but this is a pretty friendly forum from what I’ve seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Recommendations on podcasts, especially tactics focused? Would love to understand how teams are shifting their fielding coverage, or how pairs of batsmen communicate on when to run? Saw a few hiccups on the latter - seemed to be some implication from the commentators that Kohli was shouting at Green in Hindi which lead to some confusion.