Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Me explaining that every point of Blast Radius Masterwork is directly reducing his Mountaintop's damage by 1.1% and he has to switch to Hard Launch & Spike Grenades or he won't do enough damagerino

The other guy is saying Ha ha ha shiny yellow border looks nice

Imagine giving a poo poo about perfect rolls when the hardest content you might do is legend stuff just shoot the gun and kill a guy lmao

Edit: I'm doing raids and taking guns like Funnelweb and some random first slot exotic and maybe a rocket or LMG or something iunno, oh look the guy died what do you mean "we could've one phased" the boss is dead dude look he's dead on the ground we did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Imagine giving a poo poo about perfect rolls when the hardest content you might do is legend stuff just shoot the gun and kill a guy lmao

Number must go up!

Orv
May 4, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Edit: I'm doing raids and taking guns like Funnelweb and some random first slot exotic and maybe a rocket or LMG or something iunno, oh look the guy died what do you mean "we could've one phased" the boss is dead dude look he's dead on the ground we did it

If the boss does not cease to exist when you step into the arena you should simply uninstall

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm gonna grind the poo poo out of everything to make a build with perfect rolls and perfectly optimised everything also I am so burned out on this game I don't even want to play it what do you mean I don't see the connection there at all

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Honestly I feel like the gameplay is very repetitive (we're doing Strikes from 2014!) so the guns and builds are what keeps the game fresh, to me

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Are there any statistics on how many people come back for a month~ after a new season drops, grab guns/armor/ornaments, and then gently caress off to other games?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Honestly I feel like the gameplay is very repetitive (we're doing Strikes from 2014!) so the guns and builds are what keeps the game fresh, to me

I'm just razzin, I enjoy buildcrafting and stuff almost as much as a lot of folks here, but really I feel like a lot of folks playing this game should've tapped out long before they burned out. Grinding all the red borders in one day is not gonna net a positive experience, and you'd be surprised how far content goes if you just play other games and do other things.

The FOMO isn't real it can't hurt you, it's okay if you don't get the shader or ornament or whatever it literally doesn't matter, you can just not play and I can promise you won't fall behind in any real or appreciable way that you can't immediately remedy.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Are there any statistics on how many people come back for a month~ after a new season drops, grab guns/armor/ornaments, and then gently caress off to other games?
Honestly people should just come back, get and play whatever content they want and then the moment they stop having fun just gently caress off. Don't even log in for Eververse dust poo poo, it doesn't matter. Spend days, weeks, months not playing, it's good. The game is still a good game, but if you're exposed to it all the time all you can see are the issues.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah, I honestly like to hop in for the FINAL month of a season, not the first one. The weekly drip-feed doesn't get along with my brain!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
When they said TFS campaign is gonna just be one long campaign not broken up with "also now go do some patrols or some poo poo" I was extremely happy. It'd be cool if they streamlined the rest of the campaigns to do that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

When they said TFS campaign is gonna just be one long campaign not broken up with "also now go do some patrols or some poo poo" I was extremely happy. It'd be cool if they streamlined the rest of the campaigns to do that.

That would be nice but honestly Lightfall was pretty tight already. The recent confirmation that they’re going BL/WQ style of the first episode being a direct continuation and most of the expansion content unlocking post-campaign makes me more concerned about the pacing of what comes after the main missions.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCgVE_kpkMU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh hey Amanda, cool that you're getting to do stuff... this... season... alright nevermind.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

thrustin' makes me feel good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

Oh hey Amanda, cool that you're getting to do stuff... this... season... alright nevermind.

She always was a little hotheaded

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNh1KBRluC0

I'm incredibly hyped for the environment design and skyboxes in the pale heart

gonna be some mighty fine skyboxes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just hope the patrol zone isn't constantly at +10 LL like neomuna, and that they basically get rid of LL because it's annoying and bad

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just hope the patrol zone isn't constantly at +10 LL like neomuna, and that they basically get rid of LL because it's annoying and bad

The 2023 Bungie post about TFS said that they plan for the campaign and the new patrol zone to be a fixed power level with no benefit or penalty from the actual power level equipped.

Plans can change of course, but it sounds like they're going to take the Neomuna system and start applying it to more aspects of the game. They also said that there will be fewer, but not no, activities where power level matters.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I really don't understand the point of power level, I've avoided things like GM nightfalls and Master lost sectors because until now I had never once managed to get to the pinnacle cap, despite doing the pinnacle farm for weeks sometimes. Having a higher light level has nothing to do with how well I understand the mechanics of the game, just how much time I'm willing to grind to get to a certain number.

In the past I would die in seconds trying that GM and master stuff, now I can do those things without instantly dying. My stats are otherwise the same, I've been using the same high stat armor for like 4 or 5 years now.

I think Destiny has really fun FPS gameplay, I enjoy the buildcrafting, and I enjoy farming god rolls for certain guns. But farming pinnacles to slightly raise my power level week after week after week is monotonous and feels awful.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The pinnacle cap hasn't increased in over a year and you still haven't reached it?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I have now, for the first time ever in D2. They should just completely get rid of it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They're gradually getting rid of it, but who knows if they'll totally extinguish it.

They still 'raise the power cap' every season by resetting your artifact. It's just a lot more pleasant to level up from XP, earned in your choice of activities, rather than hope your Powerfuls drop in the right slots

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno if I would go that far. Your choices are "do seasonal challenges" or "do bounties".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Trying to get that final slot drop on all your characters was/is the worst part of D2.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MJeff posted:

I dunno if I would go that far. Your choices are "do seasonal challenges" or "do bounties".

Yeah, if you want the fastest progress, but a) you are probably going to be doing those things anyway and b) you still get a small dripfeed from literally everything you do, even as basic as shooting enemies. Which is a big improvement over the old way, where most of the activities would definitely not increase your power and even the ones that promised to had a small chance of just entirely failing to do it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I would say that Bounties are one of the worst things to have happened to D2, but in a vacuum I really like the concept of Generic XP Leveling vs Eight Slots of Power Levels

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also don't forget that the pinnacle grind is actually still there, it has just ceased to matter for us terminal diehards with 2000 hours in the game. Newer players do still have to go through the everything/power/pinnacle drop funnel (not counting shortcuts like the new starting gear packs), the only recent change is that once you hit the pinnacle cap you stay there permanently and it's nothing but XP leveling for the foreseeable future

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Gear power level should just disappear. Turn my upgrade modules to glimmer and make everything the equivalent of 1810. I say this as someone who has hit the pinnacle multiple times: its miserable, it turns potential new people off doing harder things, it just sucks and is old RPG thinking which doesnt need to be present in the looter shooter of today. There's plenty of skinner boxing to be had with gun perk drops as has recently been discussed here.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Power level has always been just content gating. It's not like an MMO where a level 80 can go back to old content and solo a raid boss designed for level 50 players.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Heads up: Ada has a fun side-quest for a shader. :3:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

after a year without pinnacle grind, it's clear: the pinnacle grind sucks, keep it out of the game

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, with all the power delta systems they added and the proposed "fireteam power level' I don't understand why they don't just axe power level entirely. It's not even that they have some load bearing code problem - they just leave the power level where it is and hide it from player view, and maybe rephrase how they present the power-delta activities.

I certainly like the idea of a system in which you can grind for a little advantage, or things are like "soft nerfed" - eg: there's been a few examples of WoW raids where each week after some point there was a buff that would increase, making the raid easier and more accessible to less skilled groups (with the option to disable it for groups that want a challenge.) - I don't know how much Destiny needs something like that, but I think thats kind of the role power is/was supposed to provide - a way to get an edge over some challenging content, but it feels increasingly irrelevant with how many activities now are starting to have fixed deltas.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The pinnacle grind would be OK if Bungie weighted weapons/armor you don't have for higher-level drops. I was stuck at 1809 for months because legs straight up refused to drop.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

Oxyclean posted:

It's not even that they have some load bearing code problem - they just leave the power level where it is and hide it from player view, and maybe rephrase how they present the power-delta activities.
I dunno about that, the way Destiny's code is maybe the UI elements for power level are tied to matchmaking code somehow.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
I was looking at players loading into trials match last weekend, and saw someone in one of the two stacks had a power capped Redrix's on.

I typed out "lol this guy's under light" to my team, then realized he was on my team, not enemy's, like I thought.

Then I reinspected his loadout and saw he'd swapped.

To this.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

FlapYoJacks posted:

The pinnacle grind would be OK if Bungie weighted weapons/armor you don't have for higher-level drops. I was stuck at 1809 for months because legs straight up refused to drop.

Of all the self aware stuff that has been written into the lore over the years I can’t believe there isn’t a card about a Guardian who kept dying over and over because their boots weren’t good enough somehow.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 23, 2024

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I still don't understand how I have The Final Shape plus season pass. None of my bank/cc accounts have a purchase for it, it's not in my PS5 transaction history.

But I definitely have it, including the preorder weapon and extras.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mustang posted:

I still don't understand how I have The Final Shape plus season pass. None of my bank/cc accounts have a purchase for it, it's not in my PS5 transaction history.

They don't charge for pre-orders until ~30 days before launch!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Mustang posted:

Maybe someone gifted it to you?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think this might be the funniest tweet I have ever read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think this might be the funniest tweet I have ever read

Lol.

I've just come back, what is a shiny gun?