Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Gladiator

My vote is to stick around for at least another turn or two, by then if we're continuing to get sandpapered while not connecting in return we should bail.

The two moves I'm weighing are 1411 facing 1012 vs 0813. 1411 would let me shoot and melee the APC and keep my back protected, but with a +1 MM and in the Panther's PPC short range, which is probably a really bad idea. The other move would let me brawl with the Panther but would probably mean accepting that the APC and its troops are getting in there. I'm not too worried about the Assassin backshotting me while I'm still pristine, its weapons are so short-ranged that even with ACE it's going to struggle to simultaneously keep up its movemod and shoot accurately, especially on future turns.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

The two moves I'm weighing are 1411 facing 1012 vs 0813. 1411 would let me shoot and melee the APC and keep my back protected, but with a +1 MM and in the Panther's PPC short range, which is probably a really bad idea. The other move would let me brawl with the Panther but would probably mean accepting that the APC and its troops are getting in there.

What about 1512 facing 1412? Protects your back against backstabs and puts you in medium range of the PPC. Depends on whether you value the additional +2 to hit you vs being able to kick the APC.

I can handle Pather brawling duties this turn so you and Holybat can focus on the APC.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Gladiator

My vote is to stick around for at least another turn or two, by then if we're continuing to get sandpapered while not connecting in return we should bail.

The two moves I'm weighing are 1411 facing 1012 vs 0813. 1411 would let me shoot and melee the APC and keep my back protected, but with a +1 MM and in the Panther's PPC short range, which is probably a really bad idea. The other move would let me brawl with the Panther but would probably mean accepting that the APC and its troops are getting in there. I'm not too worried about the Assassin backshotting me while I'm still pristine, its weapons are so short-ranged that even with ACE it's going to struggle to simultaneously keep up its movemod and shoot accurately, especially on future turns.

Yeah I vote for this too.

If you want to take the Gladiator to 1411 I could take a jump to 1412. Hopefully our weight of fire on the side of the APC could smoke it this turn.

EDIT: Since I'd be hitting on 8s with everything, risky but I'm debating on an alpha strike on APC from 1412. I'll be a bit short of a shutdown roll...assuming the Assassin doesn't hit me with any Infernos lol

Holybat fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 18, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Holybat posted:

Yeah I vote for this too.

If you want to take the Gladiator to 1411 I could take a jump to 1412. Hopefully our weight of fire on the side of the APC could smoke it this turn.

EDIT: Since I'd be hitting on 8s with everything, risky but I'm debating on an alpha strike on APC from 1412. I'll be a bit short of a shutdown roll...assuming the Assassin doesn't hit me with any Infernos lol

If you alpha you will get tagged with infernos and shut down, if you don’t alpha the assassin will miss

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Maybe consider going 1210 and 1311- One takes the space on top of the APC and shoots the Panther, one takes the space next to the APC and shoots it or the Panther, both kick the APC.

By blocking off both those hexes, the Assassin is forced to jump if it wants to get backshots, giving you a decent baseline level of defensive mod, and forcing it to eat a lot more heat when it's already running warm.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 18, 2024

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Honestly I'm just going :aaa: at learning you can occupy the APC's hex. For some reason I had it in my head that mechs couldn't occupy enemy hexes of any enemy ground unit. So yeah I'm game for this idea if Dachshundofdoom is

So if I moved to 1311 facing 1312, weapons fire would be hitting the front facing of the APC right?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

If you are in the same hex as a vehicle, you cannot fire your weapons at them. You can totally kick them though. And I think you kick them from the front.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Ah yeah I missed that part. :downs:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, Mechs can share a hex with any unit other than another Mech, I believe. Vehicles can also share hexes, but only Infantry/Battle Armor or special anti-personnel weapons can attack things in the same hex.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

How many units can you cram in one hex? Like, can you do two vehicles and a mech?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

up to four units, no more than two from a single team, maximum one mech. if mechs get forced into a hex that doesn't have room for them (from skidding, pushed, etc) this will trigger The Domino Effect, one of the best-named rules in the system imo

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

can enough apcs unloading force enough infantry out to crowdsurf a mech(or car) into another hex?

because dang

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019

TheParadigm posted:

can enough apcs unloading force enough infantry out to crowdsurf a mech(or car) into another hex?

because dang

No, it has to be forced movement - a push/charge/DFA/etc.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

After double-checking things, it looks like the Panther is less vulnerable than I thought since the ammo is inside a pristine side torso, plus the fact that the Assassin can get to 1215, fire all its SRMs, and punch, I'm gonna go with my original plan instead.

Orders in - reversing to 2214 and shooting the Centurion.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Just to double-check, you can combine forward movement with backing up as long you don't exceed your walking MP, right? If so I'm going to walk to 1410 and then back up to lucky number 1408, which denies the Assassin my back and lets me hit the APC with my short range weapons for maximum chances at a motive crit.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

No, you have to choose a single movement type for your entire move. So if you choose to walk forward, you have to walk forward for the whole move.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Looking it up I think I can do it but it wouldn't matter because your move mod resets when you change movement directions, so functionally I can either walk there for MM0 or run there via the hex above me for MM1. In that case I feel more comfortable just walking to 1210 and getting a kick in, my move mod is gonna suck no matter what but at least the Panther can't get me there.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah the copy of Battlemech Manual I have says you can move forward and backward in the same turn as long as you stick to Walking MP and you can't change elevation.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Holybat posted:

Yeah the copy of Battlemech Manual I have says you can move forward and backward in the same turn as long as you stick to Walking MP and you can't change elevation.

This is correct, reversing is a form of walking movement so as long as you don't exceed your walking MP you can walk forward and reverse in the same turn.

LeschNyhan posted:

No, you have to choose a single movement type for your entire move. So if you choose to walk forward, you have to walk forward for the whole move.

This is half-correct, you have to declare which movement type you're using: walking, running, or jumping. "Reverse" isn't a movement type, it's just an action that can be done while walking.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 19, 2024

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Goddamn, did that change recently or have I been reading that one wrong for 25 years?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Gladiator

Alright, orders are in, walking to 1210 facing 1310 and hitting the APC. I don't expect it to be relevant, but just in case I threw in a conditional that if the APC is already dead and the Assassin has decided to close into melee range, kick it instead. Inshallah I'm not about to take 12 SRMs and MGs to the dome.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Wolverine

Orders in, went with original move of jump to 1512. The Assassin had just enough running MP to get a shot on my back and my rear RT is way too thin for me to be comfy in letting any SRMs through. plus I keep a high TMM since I'm in range of that Panther's PPC. I'm firing everything at the right side of the APC but I put in ace contingencies to shoot at it if the APC is down and punch the Assassin if moves into melee range with me.

Holybat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 19, 2024

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

TheParadigm posted:

because dang

No no no I like this. With my napkin math we should only need 534 people to crowdsurf the Assassin to another hex, and I think if we can get 534 people to the same hex we should be allowed to use them!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Frozen Assets: Turn 9

Brian bin-Thaqib drummed his fingers against the armrest of his Phoenix Hawk’s command couch as he watched the mech’s heat monitor slowly click back down towards the green. Phoenix Hawks were notorious for running hot, and not even Panzyr II’s subzero conditions were enough to fully mitigate the excessive heat output whenever Brian jumped or opened fire. Growing impatient, Brian stooped down, scooped several hundred pounds-worth of snow off the ground with his mech’s hand and slathered it across his chest plate. It did not seem to make much difference: the heat monitor maintained its sclerotic pace, and conditions inside the cockpit remained feverish.

A staccato burst of gunfire echoed across the hills as David’s Hermes II blasted away at the enemy Javelin. “Ha! One in the dome!” David crowed as the enemy mech reeled, its head visibly deformed by the impact. “Take that, bandit filth!”

A thin smile crept across Brian’s lips. David was hardly a greenhorn – next month would mark his fifth anniversary in the Phantoms – but his enthusiasm when he thought he was winning always reminded Brian of an overeager newbie celebrating his first killshot.

“Don’t get too excited,” Brian warned. “We’re not in a good place right now. The Captain’s punched out, Brenner’s cut off and surrounded, and our line to Montagne just went dead. I have a nasty feeling that our paycheck is about to disappear.”

David made a frustrated noise. “Well, what do you suggest?”

“We junk the Javelin and scram. Get back to the field base, let things cool down for a bit, then round up Larry and the others and come back to pick up the pieces.”

“What about Brenner? And the Captain?”

“We’ll pick them up too. Brenner’s a stubborn old bastard, he’ll go down swinging and buy us some time. The Captain’s even tougher – that Rifleman is the third mech she’s been shot out of. They’ll find somewhere to hide and wait for us to rescue them.”

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Right Side! Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates) takes 5 damage to Right Side, 8/13 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 8, rolls 10: 2 Missiles Hit! Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates) takes 2 damage to Rear (8/10 Armour remaining (Motive System Hit!)) and Rear (6/10 Armour remaining (Through Armour Critical!)).
--Chance For Motive System Damage! Moderate Damage, +2 driving penalty and -1MP.
--Critical Chance in Vehicle Interior! No Critical Hits sustained.

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 6, rolls 10: Hits Left Side! Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates) takes 5 damage to Left Side, 8/13 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 6, rolls 7: Hits Rear! Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates) takes 5 damage to Rear, 3/13 Armour remaining. Motive System Hit!
--Chance For Motive System Damage! Major Damage, Vehicle Immobilised!
-Fires SRM-6 at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 6, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires LRM-5 at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Right Leg! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage to Right Leg, 2/24 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-6 at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Allied):
-Fires PPC at Assassin ASN (Creed) (Pirates); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied):
-Fires Medium Laser at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 10, rolls 12: Hits Left Side! Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates) takes 5 damage to Left Side, 3/13 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 10, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Large Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player); needs 5, rolls 6: Hits Left Arm! Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) takes 8 damage to Left Arm, 2/10 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player); needs 8, rolls 10: Hits Right Torso! Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 10/19 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Medium Laser at Fire Javelin JVN-10F (Pirates); needs 11, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires AC/5 at Fire Javelin JVN-10F (Pirates); needs 9, rolls 12: Hits Head! Fire Javelin JVN-10F (Pirates) takes 5 damage to Head, 2/7 Armour remaining. Pilot Hit!

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Assassin ASN (Creed) (ACE) (Pirates):
-Fires SRM-2 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 7, rolls 8: 1 Missile Hits! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Arm, 10/15 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-2 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 7, rolls 11: 1 Missile Hits! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Arm, 13/15 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-2 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 7, rolls 9: 2 Missiles Hit! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 2 damage to Rear Left Torso (1/3 Armour remaining) and Rear Centre Torso (3/5 Armour remaining).
-Fires SRM-2 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 7, rolls 9: 1 Missile Hits! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 2 damage to Rear Right Torso, 1/3 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-2 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Fire Javelin JVN-10F (Pirates):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Panther PNT-9R (Pirates):
-Fires PPC at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Centre Torso! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 10 damage to Centre Torso, 9/23 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Whitworth WTH-1 (Pirates):
-Fires LRM-10 at Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms); needs 8, rolls 8: 6 Missiles Hit! Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage to Left Leg (9/14 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Centre Torso (16/17 Armour remaining (Through Armour Critical!)).
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! Two Critical Hits sustained! Engine Hit! Engine Hit!
-Fires LRM-10 at Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms); needs 8, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates):
-Fires SRM-4 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 6, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 6, rolls 10: Hits Right Leg! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Leg, 17/19 Armour remaining.
-Fires Machine Gun at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 6, rolls 10: Hits Right Arm! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Arm, 8/15 Armour remaining.

--

Zofia Sorkin (Fire Javelin JVN-10F) has taken 1 damage this turn! Must pass a consciousness test to avoid blacking out! Target is 3+, rolls 4: Succeeds!

Physical attacks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Kicks Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates); needs 1, rolls 3: Hits Left Side! Heavy APC (SRM) (Pirates) takes 11 damage to Left Side, 0/13 Armour, 0/2 Structure remaining. Left Side Destroyed! Vehicle Destroyed!
--Pirate Death Squad (Pirates) ditches into Hex 1311!

Subtracting 2 heat from all units due to Arctic Conditions…

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 13 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) gains 16 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 21 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 11 heat. Overheating!

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) gains 13 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 7 heat. Overheating!

--

Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms) gains 14 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms) gains 0 heat, sinks 6 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Assassin ASN (Creed) (ACE) (Pirates) gains 11 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Fire Javelin JVN-10F (Pirates) gains 4 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Panther PNT-9R (Pirates) gains 10 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Whitworth WTH-1 (Pirates) gains 9 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Military Police (Panzyr II) Squad #1 arrests 2d8 criminal scum: 10 criminal scum detained!

Military Police (Panzyr II) Squad #2 arrests 2d8 criminal scum: 12 criminal scum detained!

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) is planning on backing up to Hex 1706 next turn.

Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied) is planning on staying still next turn.

Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) finishes dumping LRM-10 ammunition.

Pirate Death Squad (Pirates) has no protective gear! All troopers immediately freeze to death!

Player Status

Ally Status

Enemy Status

Pirates Status

Special Abilities:
-Infantry: Dig In: Infantry units can dig in, sacrificing the ability to move in exchange for removing the ‘caught in the open’ penalty.
-Infantry: Harsh Weather Training: The infantry unit has been trained to operate in harsh environments and suffers no penalties due to extreme temperatures.
-Infantry: Sprint: Infantry units can sprint, moving an additional hex in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Oblique Attacker: Pilot can fire indirectly without a spotter and the penalty for indirect fire is reduced by 1.
-Rapid Autocannons: The pilot can fire an additional shot with standard and light autocannons. However, the shot will have a +1 accuracy penalty, and the weapon will jam on a roll of 2. If the gun does jam, it will remain unusable for the duration of combat.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.
-Sniper: Modifiers for all range brackets are halved.
-Tactical Genius: This ability denotes an enemy Ace. Enemy Aces can move during the players’ movement phase, making them difficult to predict.
-Toughness: Grants a -1 bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Armoured Cowl: Provides 3 additional armour points against attacks from the rear or side of the mech’s head.
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso to threaten an additional hex.
-Improved Targeting (Short): The mech receives a -1 bonus when firing at close range.
-Unbalanced: The mech receives a +1 penalty on piloting rolls caused by moving through difficult terrain.
-Weak Legs: When the unit is kicked or makes a Death From Above attack that unit has a chance of suffering a critical hit even if its leg armour is not breached.

--

Primary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of Minister for Trade and Industry Paul Montagne. (Complete!)
Objective B: Once Objective A is achieved, either ensure Mason Voyce successfully retreats from the battlefield or destroy or drive off all enemy combatants.
Objective C: Etienne Decimis must survive.

Secondary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of at least 30 auctiongoers (46/30) (50,000 C-Bill Reward) (Complete!)
Objective B: Facilitate the arrest of at least 60 auctiongoers (46/60) (100,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective C: Facilitate the arrest of all 100 auctiongoers (46/100) (150,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective D: Destroy or drive off all enemy combatants (200,000 C-Bill Reward)

--

Ace Contingencies
This mission contains an enemy ace. Ace pilots move during the player movement phase, making them unpredictable and hard to target. Players attempting to shoot at enemy aces are strongly advised to include contingency orders for alternative targets since the ace in question may not be in their field of fire once the shooting phase starts.

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 23rd 9:00PM GMT.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

quote:

1 damage to Centre Torso (16/17 Armour remaining (Through Armour Critical!)).
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! Two Critical Hits sustained! Engine Hit! Engine Hit!

This is the second most ludicrous TAC I've ever seen in an actual Battletech game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Treb

Jesus H Christ the dice hate my loving guts.

The obvious move for me is a run to 2118 and firing on the Centurion's back, but 9 to hit it has me pessimistic.

The rest of Goonlance can move defensively within the facility to protect against backstabs and try to focus the Assassin down.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Gladiator

Honestly even if I'd remembered the wall as a place the Assassin could move I wouldn't have thought it could shoot me from that angle. Regardless, APC is toast and the infantry immediately froze to death, which uh, gently caress, I didn't realize it was THAT cold. Also, we rolled really well on arrest count this turn, hopefully I don't jinx us but if that keeps up for a few more rounds we might get that full payday after all.

Regardless, I think this might be a good time for me to go directly after the Centurion via 1914. Full move mod, get a kick in, positions me to jump over the walls or run back next turn, and if the Assassin wants to stick to my rear he'd effectively be parking himself right in the center of all our mechs, which would be a great way to get shot up by conditionals from everyone else.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gnoman posted:

This is the second most ludicrous TAC I've ever seen in an actual Battletech game.

It’s a pretty wild one

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Alas poor pirate death squad

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Gladiator

Regardless, APC is toast and the infantry immediately froze to death, which uh, gently caress, I didn't realize it was THAT cold.

It's -50 Celsius, so yeah, a rag-tag bunch of pirates with no survival gear won't last long. Infantry that aren't specced to handle extreme temperatures immediately die unless they are inside a transport or a building, so my plan was to have the APC ram its way into the facility before unloading. Once inside the squad would murder a random number of auctiongoers every turn and probably kill / badly deplete the MilPols, so good job stopping that from happening.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

Pirate Death Squad (Pirates) has no protective gear! All troopers immediately freeze to death!

Lmao

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think we need to broadcast something to try and disengage the Silver Phantoms. We've arrested their employer, they know it, and there's pirates on the field. Our shots are still atrocious enough (or at least mine are) that I don't remotely think we can afford to waste time trying to kill a zombie centurion.

The APC going down is great so we've got time now, but we have to shift entirely to protecting Mason and clearing the pirates to have a chance.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I think we need to broadcast something to try and disengage the Silver Phantoms. We've arrested their employer, they know it, and there's pirates on the field. Our shots are still atrocious enough (or at least mine are) that I don't remotely think we can afford to waste time trying to kill a zombie centurion.

The APC going down is great so we've got time now, but we have to shift entirely to protecting Mason and clearing the pirates to have a chance.

Counterpoint: the Hermes and PHawk bugging out now leaves the Whitworth and Javelin free to come after us and I'd rather keep them occupied a few more turns until we can clear out at least one of the Assassin/Panther.

I agree in giving them the chance to leave, but preferably later after we take advantage of our current 5v3 situation.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm not suggesting we get them to leave, just "we won't shoot you anymore if you don't shoot us."

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gotcha. I'm down with that if the rest of Goonlance is.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Scintilla posted:

Pirate Death Squad (Pirates) has no protective gear! All troopers immediately freeze to death!

:discourse:

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah my heat burden is way high right now so I’m really just planning on jumping back to 2010 and cooling off this turn.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So going for a fighting withdraw now? And any chance of seizing the mechs that were up for 'sale' or they going back to the established owners?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It feels like the pirates have very little chance of grabbing them with no boots in the ground, so I suppose their options are:

Call it a failed op and bail
Secure the site until another crew can arrive
Spite-level it after driving us off because if they can’t have it no one can

The latter two don’t bode well for our troops inside or safe retrieval of their captives, and I feel like the existence of Pirate Death Squad as a unit name kinda points in that direction. Better to try and get what’s left of the Phantoms onside to even the odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imagine being a pirate infantry guy, you don't even get a lovely trash mech to drive around