Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Look, the first one was good for what it was, nobody should argue it was high art. Except for whenever Willem Dafoe showed up, which WAS high art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Julie Delpy coming back for this one?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Look, the first one was good for what it was, nobody should argue it was high art. Except for whenever Willem Dafoe showed up, which WAS high art

I admit that I loved Boondock Saints at the time, but I was also the exact right age and demographic for it. I'm a tiny bit curious to try watching it again now, but I feel like I already know exactly what my response will be to it from my 2024 perspective.

I did finally watch the documentary about Troy Duffy a few years ago, and I think that explains perfectly just why Boondock Saints appeals to rear end in a top hat teen boys.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

"what Boondock Saints needs is...worldbuilding spinoffs!"

The first John Wick was such a breath of fresh air. That slick, fast paced action paired really well with an intriguing world that told you just enough. Part 2 leaned more into the world building and it felt like a cartoon. I knew they were gonna dilute what made the first one so cool.

Oh so speaking of legacy sequels

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1771216403862815209?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Boondock Saints 3 trailer will be identical to the Beetlejui2e trailer except the slow song will be some Irish song and the end will be a toilet dropping and the duo firing their guns in a slow motion circle and hitting a lot of scenery but no actual people

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
still remember when SMG posted “The Boondocks Saints is an artless brand of fascist propaganda” and it became the title of the CineD forum for a while

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Update on Late Night with the Devil’s AI usage: lol, lmao they lied
https://twitter.com/stretchedwiener/status/1771170582437970104

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It turns out the Devil....is in the details!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That’s such a bummer. I was really looking forward to it and all the reviews have been solid-to-great, but I’ve zero interest in it now.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Should be deleted from its studio servers forever. Quality of the film be damned.

#SaveACME #KillLateNight

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
They should at least have claimed it was an intentional part of the design. Seems like an easy excuse to claim they used AI to give the set an other- wordly look, like nothing actually makes sense if you look closely at it. But no just laziness. Such a bad decision when the aesthetic is the whole selling point of the film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

Such a bad decision when the aesthetic is the whole selling point of the film.

Yeah, this makes it particularly galling - if your whole premise heavily leans on having a 1970s tv show vibe, and you put zero effort into creating that vibe, it really makes me question the whole project.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Gilmore is really a great comedy and I'm down for more Shooter McGavin

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You people are nuts, there’s no way anyone would have thought those are AI generated unless you’re pausing the movie, have experience with generating AI images and are thinking very hard about it. They shouldn’t have lied but this is also a total nothingburger.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

You people are nuts, there’s no way anyone would have thought those are AI generated unless you’re pausing the movie, have experience with generating AI images and are thinking very hard about it. They shouldn’t have lied but this is also a total nothingburger.

you say that, and yet it seems like a ton of people noticed it just from watching the trailer

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
1) lol nah it would have been pretty obvious, especially the previously-posted skeleton one

2) It isn’t a "nothingburger" because this is the exact kind of poo poo critics have been saying will happen with AI. It’ll be used to plagiarize and churn out crap, which is then edited by humans to make it actually workable at a lower rate than hiring them to make bespoke artwork. It’s taking away jobs from artists and enables the further decline of art from Art to Content™️

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vegetable posted:

They literally only announced it because people were noticing it before they said anything, dumbass

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s only being blasted on social media because the small segment of people very angry about AI are calling it out. Do a poll among the general public and there’s no way anyone sees anything out of the ordinary there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think "the general public" knows about this movie at all, that's why people were laughing at it earlier. They're swinging for the arty indie hipster demographic and hit themselves in the balls with the bat.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vegetable posted:

It’s only being blasted on social media because the small segment of people very angry about AI are calling it out. Do a poll among the general public and there’s no way anyone sees anything out of the ordinary there.

Do you really think “you won’t notice anyways” is an excuse for unethical behavior, even if we ignore that people absolutely noticed?

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 22, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ngl I'm still gonna watch the movie because I like the premise, that kinda aesthetic, and Dastmalchian

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got a ticket a night before the news of the AI broke so I’m locked in but it’s killed my enthusiasm.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, this makes it particularly galling - if your whole premise heavily leans on having a 1970s tv show vibe, and you put zero effort into creating that vibe, it really makes me question the whole project.

Considering that the filmmakers are really leaning on that they used practical effects as opposed to CGI VFX, but were lazy on set dressing, it's a real bad look.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is there confirmation that the backgrounds (not the intertitles) are AI? Or could it just be stylised art?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Based on the word of mouth so far, Late Night With the Devil is allegedly a good movie. But if the filmmakers are okay with using algorithm-generated sludge anywhere in their final product it makes me inclined to believe they made a good movie by accident.

I’ve turned off a movie set during WWII when I saw clearly that one of the soldiers was wearing black New Balance sneakers. It was a very cheap movie, but if you’re a filmmaker and you don’t even try to hide something like that, it calls your entire work ethic and vision into question. Why should I care about your movie if you don’t?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Vegetable posted:

how is your crypto wallet doing bro

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

Most people probably don't know where AI-generated content comes from (feeding it art made by people without informing, let alone compensating them), so calling it out can help inform them.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is there confirmation that the backgrounds (not the intertitles) are AI? Or could it just be stylised art?

No confirmation from the filmmakers that those backgrounds are AI-generated (but just look at it, cmon) but they did confirm they used AI-generated assets for 3 interstitial cards.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My favorite thing about proponents of AI art is how mad they get when people notice, then start calling them small minded luddites.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Codependent Poster posted:

Happy Gilmore is really a great comedy and I'm down for more Shooter McGavin

I hope he stopped eating pieces of poo poo for breakfast. That can't be good for your health.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vegetable posted:

lol get the gently caress outta here dweeb

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Also, they know they hosed up and did something lovely that people wouldn’t like. Why else would they lie about the extent of its usage when initially confronted?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

2) It isn’t a "nothingburger" because this is the exact kind of poo poo critics have been saying will happen with AI. It’ll be used to plagiarize and churn out crap, which is then edited by humans to make it actually workable at a lower rate than hiring them to make bespoke artwork. It’s taking away jobs from artists and enables the further decline of art from Art to Content™️

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite thing about proponents of AI art is how mad they get when people notice, then start calling them small minded luddites.

Laughing remembering the guy who requested a permaban from the forums last year because he insisted that everyone was being racist against AI.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Flying Zamboni posted:

Laughing remembering the guy who requested a permaban from the forums last year because he insisted that everyone was being racist against AI.

He would poo poo up the debate thread about AI art saying "The age of the idea guy is here!" and parrot all the toxic sentiments that working artists are inherently elite and should have their work co-opted because they're corporate pawns.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The people calling for a boycott are ruining the drat narrative and they should stop and actually talk about the issues instead of demonizing anyone who sees it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Flying Zamboni posted:

Apparently the Table Top RPG scene was bitching about that goon recently because he keeps spamming RPG store websites with hundreds and hundreds of pages of AI generated rulebooks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Young Freud posted:

Considering that the filmmakers are really leaning on that they used practical effects as opposed to CGI VFX, but were lazy on set dressing, it's a real bad look.

Filmmakers cut corners all the time because money is tight and time is short. I feel like the myth that films are a top to bottom labor of love and care through every facet of production is pretty silly lol. poo poo is all compromising to get it done

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
They just need to say that they hired an artist, and said artist like these AI images as a start or aid to his own work. Bet that didn’t happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They said they worked with the art crew to make it. So it’s possible everyone worked on it but who knows. Maybe someone will speak up on it so we can get more clarity on this issue lol