Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

mycot posted:

Tag yourself I'm whatever the hell is going on with that pelvis

I’m the left shoulder that hooks on itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m the left shoulder that hooks on itself.

i'm the nth dimensional mc escher lower left leg

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think AI will have a lot of cool uses in the future, but it is not ready for production stuff yet.

I disagree, it's ready to take work away from people and further the goals of capitalism. The goal of LLMs was never to make great art.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Margot Robbie’s career turn from sexed up Scorsese lead actress to mass market IP movie guru isn’t one I expected but, heck, I’m ready. Bring on the Furby and Tamagotchi movies.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

whydirt posted:

It sucks but I also think you overestimate how much people who aren’t terminally online will know or care

Online niche horror fans are like the only audience for this movie in the first place

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Want there a bunch of AI-generated posters spotted in the background of the new True Detective series and noone really gave a poo poo? Because the show sucked either way

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

whydirt posted:

It sucks but I also think you overestimate how much people who aren’t terminally online will know or care

It's an IFC Midnight/Shudder film, people who are terminally online are its entire audience. That's exactly what makes it so embarrassing, this is the one type of movie where they couldn't get away with this thing. If it was a major release by Paramount or Universal it'd be a footnote.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sucks because early reviews for it are fantastic, praising the artistic vision of the direction and pacing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Want there a bunch of AI-generated posters spotted in the background of the new True Detective series and noone really gave a poo poo? Because the show sucked either way

The showrunner gave some really insane defense of it. If I recall it was something like it was supposed to be AI posters that the character in the show had created and printed out to demonstrate how much of a loser he is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol ok

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sucks because early reviews for it are fantastic, praising the artistic vision of the direction and pacing.

Before I knew about the ai bullshit the most damning thing was the Stephen King praise quote

But I was like, he's not always wrong lol

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

The showrunner gave some really insane defense of it. If I recall it was something like it was supposed to be AI posters that the character in the show had created and printed out to demonstrate how much of a loser he is.

Ok, then hire someone to design things that look like AI. Didn’t they just do that with the upcoming Despicable Me movie trailer?

Answering my own question, yup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJa1oSgs8Gw

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The True Detective thing was especially stupid because like, they could have just gotten a KISS poster? I had forgotten about it until I watched the season (it was fine except the ending), but those posters stuck out like a sore thumb in that scene. Real distracting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

The True Detective thing was especially stupid because like, they could have just gotten a KISS poster? I had forgotten about it until I watched the season (it was fine except the ending), but those posters stuck out like a sore thumb in that scene. Real distracting.

you know honestly the real problem for me is less the myriad ethical issues with using AI for this sort of thing and more that nobody gives a poo poo about production design anymore

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Okily dokily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6yDanmWI1E

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

you know honestly the real problem for me is less the myriad ethical issues with using AI for this sort of thing and more that nobody gives a poo poo about production design anymore

Yeah, ethical issues aside it just comes across as lazy and cheap.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Okily dokily

That sure was a beetlejuice teaser.

You really think studios would of gotten bored with the 'slow down remix of classic song' by now. Pretty sure audiences have.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

dr_rat posted:

You really think studios would of gotten bored with the 'slow down remix of classic song' by now. Pretty sure audiences have.

Yeah this reminds me of Ghostbuster nostalgia in the worst way. Happy to see Ryder, O'Hara and Keaton and of course getting Ortega is great, but man does "Directed by Tim Burton" have the opposite effect from when I saw the same thing in the original's opening credits. WB being a gently caress-up doesn't help, they will run this poo poo into the ground even if it is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

It's an IFC Midnight/Shudder film, people who are terminally online are its entire audience. That's exactly what makes it so embarrassing, this is the one type of movie where they couldn't get away with this thing. If it was a major release by Paramount or Universal it'd be a footnote.

That’s unfair

The audience is horror fans who exist through all walks of life

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Beetlejuice trailer may be the blandest trailer this week, just not satisfying

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Margot Robbie's production company is developing a movie based on 'The Sims' video game franchise. I was not even aware of this, but the article mentions that there was a previous attempt to make a Sims movie that started production around 2007 but never got anywhere.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-sims-movie-in-the-pipe-from-loki-director-margot-robbies-company-to-produce

I have no idea how you would make this work when the whole point is to make your own family and just kind of do whatever you want. There are no characters.

Oh there are characters. Each premade family you can play in the games actually have their own backstory and the stuff you find on their properties hint at this. Bella Goth is probably one of the most iconic Sims characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM4LQms-4No

Vegetable posted:

Margot Robbie’s career turn from sexed up Scorsese lead actress to mass market IP movie guru isn’t one I expected but, heck, I’m ready. Bring on the Furby and Tamagotchi movies.

Heck, let her do Transformers and GI Joe too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

Beetlejuice trailer may be the blandest trailer this week, just not satisfying

Yeah, it was very weird and a poor tonal match. Like I kept on expecting them to subvert it but then it just didn't.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, it was very weird and a poor tonal match. Like I kept on expecting them to subvert it but then it just didn't.

With a trailer like that it should have been called Beetlejuice: Legacy or some such poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I read like half of the book for The Never Ending Story which basically covered the movie adaptation but stopped after that point because Bastian becomes quite intolerable as a character once he arrives in the fantasy world. That's kind of the point of the story but it doesn't exactly make it interesting to read.

It's going to be sort of an interesting challenge- even if you split it into two movies (which would make sense because it really feels like a game of two halves), the second half gets kind of abstract and tricky to visualize in places, I can see why Petersen and Co. punted on it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yep, it's the same reason blocking and lighting looks horrendous on this stuff. Who cares, right? It's all crap.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

dr_rat posted:

They get one extremely shaky bonus point for the song being diegetic in the film, at least.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I knew it wasn't going to happen, but in my heart of hearts I was hoping that the Beetlejuice sequel about Lidia's daughter would star the brightest, sunshiniest person who was determined to ray of sunlight Beetlejuice right back into the loving ground. Rebelling against the Tim Burtonness of their entire family by just being the nicest person out. The closest a human can get to Capybara.

Sadly, looks like we've got just... the same as last time.

At least Catherine O'Hara is there. She's always a delight.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe Bee2lejuice will finally be the thing that kills the trend of self-serious 80s legacy sequels

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe Bee2lejuice will finally be the thing that kills the trend of self-serious 80s legacy sequels

Nah it's massive success will only see more. Get ready for Xanadu (2026)!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Xana2u was right there

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

dr_rat posted:

Won't be the same without Gene kelly

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Xana2u was right there

Oh it will definitely be a modern dark re-imagining not a sequel.

But yeah, for a sequel they'd have to go with that.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Xana2u was right there

Xana2

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Oh there are characters. Each premade family you can play in the games actually have their own backstory and the stuff you find on their properties hint at this. Bella Goth is probably one of the most iconic Sims characters.

Ooh yeah you could do a Bob Newbie story, keeping up with the neighbours, maybe one of the characters discovers cheat codes and starts deleting other characters and making himself money.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

dr_rat posted:

They are finally going to make that Buckaroo Banzai sequel they promised at the end!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Xana2u was right there

Ish2ar

Earth Girls are 2 EZ

Krull 2: The SeKrull

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Alan Smithee posted:

Earth Girls are 2 EZ

Would watch

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1770899670098673711

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thirty years later, "Maybe third time's the charm?"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Duffy isn't involved in that. My guess is that people were looking for more John Wick type things and looked at an existing IP that still has some cult following and figured there's money there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"what Boondock Saints needs is...worldbuilding spinoffs!"