Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Zero_Grade posted:

loving lol that of all things to remake you pick Lord of the Rings, movies that caught lightning in a bottle and turned out incredible against all odds.

Megacorp with a single creative braincell divided across a board room of people see lightning in a bottle and assume they must make the same bottle over and over again.

If they were to make it animated, however, I would be all over that poo poo so hard. Also it has to have a 70s progressive rock score and it has to change art styles every 20 minutes.

Maybe I should just watch the Ralph Bakshi one again.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

lol. culture is literally real estate.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Big chin? you're in!

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Are there any examples of actor/directors big passion projects not immediately being complete failures?

I can only think of animated ones. GDT's Pinocchio was in development for at least 10 years. Phil Tippet had been trying to make Mad God for even longer.

I guess James Cameron was trying to get Avatar made since the 90s and I understand that was something of a success.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Napoleon was truly the joker of his time

Jack Nicholson would have played both if Kubrick got to make his Napoleon movie.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

And the larger these companies get, the more art and culture become "assets" to be destroyed for government discounts.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Big Eyes was pretty well regarded right? It's based on a true story about Walter Keane the "artist" being a fraud. No Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter or any garish CG to be found.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I like Mel Welles, a Corman regular who played iconic characters like Mr. Mushnik in Little Shop of Horrors and Digger Smolkin in The Undead.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I'm guessing whenever they decide to pit Tom Holland Spiderman against Tom Hardy Venom they'll have a big hit on their hand.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Wonder if the Never Lose A Fight clause is still in The Rock's contract. I guess you could still do a dramatic story of a fighter who only wins at greater and greater cost.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

that lost short Runaway Brain that played before A Goofy Movie ruled. Mickey gets his brain swapped with a giant Frankenstein's Monster Pete. It was even nominated for an Oscar. Of course the execs hated it and had it buried.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Verbinski also gave us Rango which is one of his best films and still looks great today. It was refreshing to have a CG animated feature that wasn't afraid to have grotesquely detailed yet appealing characters. Another great Bill Nighy villain performance too.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Just say he had another quarter.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I believe a movie about a 50 foot woman will perform 100 times better today than it did back in the 50s knowing how people on the internet react. I for one am already in line for tickets.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

In 3D!

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Sweeney Todd's only real downside is that some of the cast just aren't that great at singing, which is pretty bog standard when in comes to movie musicals. And it's nowhere near the level of something like Les Mis, it's just you wish they were a little better.

Sweeney Todd is kind of an outlier for Burton from that era as it only uses minimal tacky CG. The practical gushing blood fx are great. The music is top notch of course but yeah Depp's singing is pretty mediocre when compared to Len Cariou, the original Sweeney. Some pretty gorgeous sequences and shots too.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 2, 2024

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Flying Zamboni posted:

Laughing remembering the guy who requested a permaban from the forums last year because he insisted that everyone was being racist against AI.

He would poo poo up the debate thread about AI art saying "The age of the idea guy is here!" and parrot all the toxic sentiments that working artists are inherently elite and should have their work co-opted because they're corporate pawns.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

My pearls flew right off when Brad Pitt's dog clamped his teeth around the goofy murderer's balls and when he smashed the other one into a wall mounted phone and it makes a ringing sound. This Tarantino fellow ought to tone things down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

A new He-man should be entirely stop motion using the toys. Just let this guy make the whole movie.

https://twitter.com/justinrasch_ani/status/1687675392927412224?t=Od8uo_9bUZWrxclH-WwERg&s=19