Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

probably excessively simplified to blame one guy to that extent though. like, article wants to make him out to be a big business guy but his credentials are actually ridiculously good, and it seems to try to make it a pattern that he was head of search at yahoo when his bosses cut a deal with bing instead, with him pressuring the head of search at google with business deal things.

like, i expect he's a shithead and plenty to blame, but no way its quite this simple.

Google is famous for its extremely forgiving, fair, and straightforward engineering hiring practices. It's nice to see that they're extending that culture to executive recruitment.

Besides, So what if he was at the wheel when Google trounced Yahoo search? If anything his experience with search on the losing team will bring a lot of fresh perspectives to a company blinded by decades of innovating and winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Internet Old One posted:

Google is famous for its extremely forgiving, fair, and straightforward engineering hiring practices. It's nice to see that they're extending that culture to executive recruitment.

Besides, So what if he was at the wheel when Google trounced Yahoo search? If anything his experience with search on the losing team will bring a lot of fresh perspectives to a company blinded by decades of innovating and winning.

part of what i find weird about the take is precisely that he wasn't at *any* wheel when yahoo got trounced. he headed yahoo labs which did work on search, but actual management licensed bing and went on an acquiring spree. like, i can buy that the guy hosed up everything he touched at yahoo but nothing he touched at yahoo was used near as i can tell, and there were piles of management of the actual business and above him that seem more central to the fuckup?

rather the same with google in the particular moment described, presumably there were a whole management hierarchy above them that actually did this stuff, it is hardly good that the head of ads asked search to get people to look at more ads, but i don't know that i'd really *expect* the head of ads to express anything else

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

this is a systemic failure and by definition a systemic failure involves many parts of a system coordinating together to eat poo poo

so it probably wasn’t just that one dude, but that’s like saying oh it’s okay it wasn’t just one mouse that chewed up all your socks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

part of what i find weird about the take is precisely that he wasn't at *any* wheel when yahoo got trounced. he headed yahoo labs which did work on search, but actual management licensed bing and went on an acquiring spree.

as noted this is my nitpick with ed's theory too. like, it's well thought out of course (it is ed after all), but i feel like he fundamentally misunderstands that yahoo didn't really even have a search engine at the time. google, of course, has its own product, it's just become as bad as bing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

i don't even know what "head of search" does at yahoo when you've basically rented bing results

they weren't renting bing results when he started, but they were by the time his tenure there ended

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

they weren't renting bing results when he started, but they were by the time his tenure there ended

at that time, i could swear they were at least in the middle of transitioning to it. that happened before the guy started, i thought?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

at that time, i could swear they were at least in the middle of transitioning to it. that happened before the guy started, i thought?

they announced the bing partnership in 2009, he headed up search at yahoo between 2005 and 2012. 2004 was when they stopped using google and built their own engine.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way, i think the article is a touch fanciful in how it tries to make the story neat. but, it doesn't matter too much, not like it harms anything or anyone worth worrying about. as:

top-tier psycho poo poo through and through

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

either way, i think the article is a touch fanciful in how it tries to make the story neat. but, it doesn't matter too much, not like it harms anything or anyone worth worrying about. as:

top-tier psycho poo poo through and through

Ed Zitron suffers from a terminal case of what I'd call "Jimquisition Syndrome". He has dedicated his content to being the Two Minutes Hate for tech and will gladly oversimplify problems and fake incredulity just to give his audience a chance to feel righteously angry. Now, since he's covering tech he's never completely off the mark, but his willingness to go off at literally everything reduces the impact he could have if he learned how to modulate the anger in his reporting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

even the tone becomes exhausting at times.

still, they're often good summaries of topics that have come up in yospos

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Anyways, Dell is from 2-3 bubbles ago, but this seemed thread-relevant...

quote:

Dell's remote workers will not be eligible for promotion in new policy
The new policy will begin in May.

Another tech company in Central Texas is supposedly going through some new policy changes. Computer giant Dell Inc. is enacting a more strict return-to-office (RTO) mandate, according to Business Insider.

Dell, headquartered in Round Rock, previously had a flexible hybrid working culture for more than a decade. But now, Dell employees who work from home (WFH) will reportedly not be eligible for a promotion.

In February, Dell introduced the new RTO mandate to staff in a memo which seemed to penalize employees who choose to be fully remote. Business Insider reports that under the new policy, staff were told that beginning in May almost all employees will be classified as either "hybrid," or "remote."

Hybrid workers will be required to come into a Dell office for at least 39 days per quarter, or about three days a week. However, if staff choose to be "fully remote," they will not be considered for promotion, or be able to change roles, Business Insider reports.

The memo reads: "For remote team members, it is important to understand the trade-offs: Career advancement, including applying to new roles in the company, will require a team member to reclassify as hybrid onsite." Dell told MySA in an emailed statement that "in today’s global technology revolution, we believe in-person connections paired with a flexible approach are critical to drive innovation and value differentiation."

That is certainly one way to try and kill WFH.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

LanceHunter posted:

Ed Zitron suffers from a terminal case of what I'd call "Jimquisition Syndrome". He has dedicated his content to being the Two Minutes Hate for tech and will gladly oversimplify problems and fake incredulity just to give his audience a chance to feel righteously angry. Now, since he's covering tech he's never completely off the mark, but his willingness to go off at literally everything reduces the impact he could have if he learned how to modulate the anger in his reporting.

Ya I would agree with that.

I tried listening to his podcast and it was very much "two minutes of hate" style. I couldn't even finish an episode because of that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/revhowardarson/status/1767606200441737350

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do you guys not know zitrons backstory or something? did you like consider him a serious journalist or smth rofl. i'm sorry. he rules and is an awesome guy and i enjoy reading his blog but he's not going for a walter cronkite thing. mans been on chapo ffs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he's a marketing guy who writes op-eds, i don't know who thinks he's a journalist

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

this is some terminal management brain right here

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

man has this dork like entered a search query in the last couple months lmao?

next he’s gonna complain about global warming not being real because he hasn’t left his basement in 5 years

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Eeyo posted:

man has this dork like entered a search query in the last couple months lmao?

next he’s gonna complain about global warming not being real because he hasn’t left his basement in 5 years

The simplest explanation is that his brain works like an LLM and as such, he doesn't recognize LLM output.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he's a marketing guy who writes op-eds, i don't know who thinks he's a journalist

*raises paw*

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

yeah, he's a marketing guy, so it follows that he knows the right combination of words to make something sound simplified, sensationalized and subsequently viral (wow lots of S sounds there but hey, rolls right off the tongue, lol). like i've been saying since he's been writing, he sometimes is on the mark, sometimes he isn't. his reasoning is usually solid but i absolutely agree that sometimes he's just flat out connecting dots that don't make the picture he says it is (again, marketing guy). i don't generally mind the tone since i read them sparingly and have literally zero exposure to podcasts

he's pretty insightful but it's not really much you're not going to get just reading yospos. hell most of us have figured out the whole picture while ed's busy secretly scribbling in a dot to make it connect properly

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Oh no WFH could stagnate my white hot career as a consultant at Dell Technical Services. After torching my career at Kelly Girl and now this, well nobody ever gets a 3rd shot at greatness.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

is this the twitter re-reg of that anonymous google (?) computer toucher who got suspended

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

The simplest explanation is that his brain works like an LLM and as such, he doesn't recognize LLM output.

yeah i assumed he was interpreting obvious LLM output as "the same old pre-AI garbage written by content farms" which, lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

shackleford posted:

is this the twitter re-reg of that anonymous google (?) computer toucher who got suspended

that's theophite yeah

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is he the one who said "biotruths told me having a vagina means you can't write code" or the "the llm is a real person and is also my girlfriend now?"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

neither of those sound right to me

he's the one who said this though

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

qirex posted:

is he the one who said "biotruths told me having a vagina means you can't write code" or the "the llm is a real person and is also my girlfriend now?"

no those two guys would be james damore and blake lemoine

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

shackleford posted:

no those two guys would be james damore and blake lemoine

moratorium on guys with those kinds of last names until we figure it out

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

dioxazine posted:

i for one hope they don't sell and just leave the US market entirely

well…

quote:

ByteDance prefers TikTok shutdown in US if legal options fail, sources say:

TikTok owner ByteDance would prefer shutting down its loss-making app rather than sell it if the Chinese company exhausts all legal options to fight legislation to ban the platform from app stores in the U.S., four sources said.

The algorithms TikTok relies on for its operations are deemed core to ByteDance overall operations, which would make a sale of the app with algorithms highly unlikely, said the sources close to the parent.

TikTok accounts for a small share of ByteDance's total revenues and daily active users, so the parent would rather have the app shut down in the U.S. in a worst case scenario than sell it to a potential American buyer, they said.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

The person in charge of search also pulled this today:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/23/google-search-boss-raghavan-warns-employees-of-new-operating-reality.html

Google is going to be so much shittier in the next few years.

jfc there is some management bullshit in this but some choice parts

Let's start with an easy one

quote:

Wearing a hoodie with the words “We use Math” on the front, Google search boss Prabhakar Raghavan had an important message for employees at an all-hands meeting last month. But he first wanted them to settle in and get comfortable.

Grab your boba teas,” Raghavan told the crowd, gathered in a theater at the company’s headquarters in Mountain View, California.

:jerkbag:

quote:

“People come to us because we are trusted,” Raghavan said. “They may have a new gizmo out there that people like to play with but they still come to Google to verify what they see there because it is the trusted source and it becomes more critical in this era of generative AI.”

wait but your search engine returns garbage so how are you going to deal with that

quote:

“With a huge opportunity ahead, we’re moving with velocity and focus,” a Google spokesperson told CNBC, when asked to comment on Raghavan’s address. The spokesperson highlighted the addition of generative AI to search and improvements in search quality, adding, “There’s lots more to come.”

oh you're just gonna make the results up yourself now I guess :thunk:

quote:

He cited the European Union’s Digital Markets Act and said the company is still learning what its obligations will be from the European Commission. The DMA, which officially became enforceable last month, aims to clamp down on anti-competitive practices among tech companies.

“That does have its impact on us,” Raghavan said.

"We have been engaging in anti competitive practice so we will be in trouble" lol way to say the quiet part out loud

quote:

He praised the teams working on Gemini, the company’s main group of AI models. He said they’ve stepped up from working 100 hours a week to 120 hours to correct Google’s image recognition tool in a timely manner. That helped the team fix roughly 80% of the issues in just 10 days, he said.

or just don't release a poo poo product because you rushed it to get in on the grift you loving psycho?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

:sickos:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

[mr. burns voice] excellent

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Qualcomm is mega-juicing their numbers:

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-i...o-be-fraudulent

tomshardware posted:

Qualcomm responds to benchmark cheating allegations — Snapdragon X Elite/Plus benchmarks claimed to be fraudulent (Updated)
The notoriously confrontational tech site SemiAccurate claims that Qualcomm is cheating on the benchmarks of its new Snapdragon X Elite and Plus laptop processors, and Qualcomm has now responded to those accusations. The Snapdragon X Plus, announced yesterday, joins the previously announced X Elite in Qualcomm's upcoming processor lineup for Windows notebooks. The chips stand out as Qualcomm's first potentially competitive laptop processor against Apple, Intel, and AMD, and the best chance for Windows on Arm to take off. However, SemiAccurate.com claims that Qualcomm has been far from forthcoming with its curated benchmark results that have been presented to the press.

SemiAccurate, claiming two "major" OEMs and a "deep source at Qualcomm" for their benchmark cheating claims, insists that Qualcomm benchmarks are impossible to recreate even by class-leading OEM developers.

A Qualcomm representative sent Tom's Hardware an official comment on the matter, saying succinctly, "We stand behind our performance claims and are excited for consumers to get their hands on Snapdragon X Elite and X Plus devices soon.”

Back at Qualcomm's Snapdragon Summit conference held last October, the public saw the first benchmarks of the forthcoming X Elite processors. These numbers, claimed to be clean by SemiAccurate's sources, were slower than expected, though the Qualcomm source claimed the software wasn't final. And those benchmarks were a complete black box — no one at the conference could see the settings used for testing, and vague charts showing performance against competitors Apple and Intel were unverifiable.

After OEMs got their hands on the X Series chips, SemiAccurate claims no OEM has been able to replicate Qualcomm's touted test numbers. In fact, the site reports OEMs first saw numbers "far sub-50%" of the numbers Qualcomm claimed. Qualcomm engineers reportedly told SemiAccurate that they blamed poor optimization from Windows running on Arm, and poor cooling. Even after some time had passed and cooling could be improved, however, testers still reportedly never came close to Qualcomm's curated benchmarks, with one anonymous source comparing the Snapdragon X Elite to Intel Celeron chips.

SemiAccurate makes no claims about specifics of how Qualcomm is allegedly cheating its benchmark numbers. If "tier 1" OEMs are reportedly unable to even come close to recreating the X Series benchmarks on their own, wrongdoing by Qualcomm, the site alleges, must be the only other option.

The site also claims that Qualcomm's product slides are presenting "tainted" numbers to the press and its OEM partners. At the Snapdragon Summit, the company avoided answering technical questions on its forthcoming X Series, promising more answers and deep technical briefings before launching its chips. It also apparently promised reviewers the opportunity and ability to independently benchmark the new chips before launch; neither of these promises came to be, though there's still time before the chips launch in mid-2024. (The press could run benchmarks on devices at hands-on events, but the software was all pre-installed in tightly controlled conditions.)

SemiAccurate says Qualcomm's stats, revealed today, on its new line of chips lacked the deep technical elements originally promised, with more time spent on potential camera specs enabled by the SoC processors than any real technical stats or deep analysis. We did get core counts, cache, and clock speeds, but nothing deeply technical outside of spec sheets.

If the claims prove true, it would certainly rock a laptop world that looked to the X Series as Windows' response to Apple's M Series processors, but for now, these claims are unsubstantiated. Naturally, we can't test the veracity of these huge claims until the silicon comes to market.

Microsoft is expected to make big announcements in this space at its Build developer conference in May, hopefully giving us a better idea of the shape of Windows on Arm.

Lmao.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlapYoJacks posted:

Qualcomm is mega-juicing their numbers

you don't say. surely you jest

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Qualcomm is mega-juicing their numbers:

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-i...o-be-fraudulent

Lmao.

quote:

Even after some time had passed and cooling could be improved, however, testers still reportedly never came close to Qualcomm's curated benchmarks, with one anonymous source comparing the Snapdragon X Elite to Intel Celeron chips.

the chips that infamously could be overclocked from 300 to 450 MHz?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

the chips that infamously could be overclocked from 300 to 450 MHz?

i assume they mean modern celerons, i.e. the ones they explicitly made sure that would not happen again with, lol

but tbh i have a 11" N4400 netbook-esque thing (BMAX Y11) that i got on aliexpress a few years ago for about $180 and it's really not so bad if you have a bios that allows low-level tweaking

e: drat bmax still makes the Y11, just with a newer celeron in it lol. it's a real solid case, probably still not a bad deal if you're into those kinds of laptops

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 25, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Don't get anything with less than a n100 cpu now. The older Celeron branded CPUs are garbage in comparison and stuff with n100s is cheap now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

you don't say. surely you jest

no one could have foreseen this

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so, just to clarify, qualcomm claimed to have made a competitive laptop chip but it turns out it is bad? that really what has now happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

so, just to clarify, qualcomm claimed to have made a competitive laptop chip but it turns out it is bad? that really what has now happened?

It's 40% of the claimed power yes.