Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

guess there's a fourth time for everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

I mean it'd be real weak poo poo by PRC if they allowed that sale

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Well I discovered that ByteDance makes all it's money on a AI driven clickbait news app in China. I hope they regard the US as a hostile market and never release anything else here ever.

It's like someone looked at Facebook and Reddit and wondered if there was a way they could refine them into a more socially destructive product.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the total control is from the prc, substantively all the moneys made in the usa through a singaporean subsidiary, douyin makes little ad money in comparison, except for direct hard sales where they trounce tiktok. total revenue is comparable, total profit is a lot more in america

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 25, 2024

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I guess one needs an inscrutable oriental algorithm to figure out that people like watching stuff that's similar to other stuff they watch

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 25, 2024

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i think ed's articles have a lot of [citation needed] bits, but i mostly agree on premises like "management number-go-up types have taken over google and made it much, much worse"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

Don't get anything with less than a n100 cpu now. The older Celeron branded CPUs are garbage in comparison and stuff with n100s is cheap now

I was on a call within the last year where an industrial pc customer was talking about the next generation version of their product with an OEM. they said they couldn’t use a celeron/atom and needed a core i3 type processor

their previous product used an ivy bridge i5. (I think branded as Xeon)

if you want to be alarmed try and figure out when the average atom became on par with that part

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Qualcomm is mega-juicing their numbers:

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-i...o-be-fraudulent

Lmao.

oh don’t worry, they’ll send you a mystery firmware blob that fixes everything tomorrow

and then the day after that

and the day after that…

I’m barely even joking. I once heard from an engineer working on integrating a cellular baseband that over the course of a year they were sent 60 revisions “fixing” conformance issues

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

He praised the teams working on Gemini, the company’s main group of AI models. He said they’ve stepped up from working 100 hours a week to 120 hours to correct Google’s image recognition tool in a timely manner. That helped the team fix roughly 80% of the issues in just 10 days, he said.

120 hours?

as in the average person on that team works 17 hours a day 7 days a week??

what the gently caress is that??

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

120 hours?

nah they just work 24 hours a day 5 days a week. weekends are me time

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

otoh the onion is now owned by a billionaire money mark and run by Ben Collins

…who named the ownership company after some deep lore from one of their books

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1783632037640835426

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
probably better than being owned by g/o media at this point

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
j/o media

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Luigi Thirty posted:

otoh the onion is now owned by a billionaire money mark and run by Ben Collins

…who named the ownership company after some deep lore from one of their books

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1783632037640835426

Global Tetrahedron’s about page is very aspirational: https://global-tetrahedron.com/about

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.theonion.com/give-us-1-or-the-onion-disappears-forever-1851436787

Today, billions of readers like yourself navigated to The Onion seeking dispatches from America’s Finest News Source. Like so many have done through the decades, you doubtless entered the hyperlink in a glazed stupor, hoping to see reporting of grave importance. However, today, this was not to be. You see, The Onion is in our possession, and what happens next is entirely up to you.

Simply put, you must give us $1 immediately or The Onion will disappear forever.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sagebrush posted:

120 hours?

eventually these managers will start claiming to have invented a hyperbolic time chamber

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BMan posted:

eventually these managers will start claiming to have invented a hyperbolic time chamber

we have one of those at work

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Chris Knight posted:

https://www.theonion.com/give-us-1-or-the-onion-disappears-forever-1851436787

Today, billions of readers like yourself navigated to The Onion seeking dispatches from America’s Finest News Source. Like so many have done through the decades, you doubtless entered the hyperlink in a glazed stupor, hoping to see reporting of grave importance. However, today, this was not to be. You see, The Onion is in our possession, and what happens next is entirely up to you.

Simply put, you must give us $1 immediately or The Onion will disappear forever.

i went to theonion dot com once with no ad blocker and it is one of the worst websites i've ever seen

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

i went to theonion dot com once with no ad blocker and it is one of the worst websites i've ever seen

https://twitter.com/jeffiel/status/1783674204820262958

Alright, the news is out.

Yes, I bought The Onion.

Why?
1/4

The Onion is an institution, a national treasure, and we need it. But its success is based on something different than most media companies. The Onion has been stifled, along with most of the Internet, by byzantine cookie dialogs, paywalls, bizarro belly fat ads, and clickbait content. And we’ve had enough. The Internet sucks, and it’s time we made it better. It’s time to focus on customers – end users – again.
2/4

That’s why we’re asking everybody to pitch in $1. If you care about The Onion, if the Onion ever made you laugh – give us a buck. For that dollar, you get… absolutely nothing. Just a smug sense that you’ve once again spent less on The Onion than its worth in your life.
3/4

Over time, we’ll be introducing new products and getting into new mediums. But more than anything – this is about unleashing the creative team that’s been making you laugh for over 30 years. Letting these amazing writers do what they do best.

I can’t wait to see what you pee in
Show more

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

shackleford posted:

Yes, I bought The Onion.

Why?
1/4

The Onion is an institution, a national treasure, and we need it. But its success is based on something different than most media companies. The Onion has been stifled, along with most of the Internet, by byzantine cookie dialogs, paywalls, bizarro belly fat ads, and clickbait content. And we’ve had enough. The Internet sucks, and it’s time we made it better. It’s time to focus on customers – end users – again.
2/4

That’s why we’re asking everybody to pitch in $1. If you care about The Onion, if the Onion ever made you laugh – give us a buck. For that dollar, you get… absolutely nothing. Just a smug sense that you’ve once again spent less on The Onion than its worth in your life.
3/4

Over time, we’ll be introducing new products and getting into new mediums. But more than anything – this is about unleashing the creative team that’s been making you laugh for over 30 years. Letting these amazing writers do what they do best.

Show more

a rich dude asking me for money after spending millions of dollars buying a thing is not exactly the convincing pitch he clearly thinks it is

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

how about you pay me $1 for reading that :smug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

Yes, I bought The Onion.

Why?
1/4

2/4

3/4

Show more

this is a joke, right? the guy is making a joke because he bought the onion?

sadly, i know it's not a joke

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

shackleford posted:

Yes, I bought The Onion.

Why?
1/4

2/4

3/4

Show more

this dude is absolutely going to use chatgpt to write articles

the robot will be named Korg

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

he will replace Kelly with an AI trained on Charles Boyce comics that will spit out badly-drawn messes with no punchline

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
https://www.theonion.com/bantu-tribesman-uses-ibm-global-uplink-network-modem-to-1819563905

This was my first onion article. The dude was sending them to his friends via email and IIRC had just thought to throw them up on a webpage.

Imagine writing that and emailing it off to your pals from your dorm room and 30 years later a billionaire is asking people for a dollar or it'll disappear from the internet forever.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 26, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

wow username checks out!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
what does online crud like this run on anyway? some heinous wordpress fork, ancient php voodoo that makes vbulletin look streamlined, or what do corporates use for running blogs into the ground nowadays

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
iirc most of the ex-Gizmodo sites use a terrible in-house platform called kinja

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

haveblue posted:

iirc most of the ex-Gizmodo sites use a terrible in-house platform called kinja

kinja's always been bad but it got worse when G/O was taken over by spanfeller and his cadre of failson friends

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm shopping for washing machines for the first time in ever and

quote:

AI Opti Wash & Dry: AI Opti Wash & Dry™ adjusts settings as needed to deliver a better wash and dry (Fabric sensing operates for 8 lbs and under; Based on AI algorithm using IEC 8 lbs load; To prevent wear, wash like fabrics together; Results may vary)

hell yes my laundry's gonna come out with like 8 fingers on each of its hands

e: lmao they just added the term "AI" to every feature

quote:

7" AI Home LCD Display: The intuitive 7" AI Hub LCD Display gives you quick and easy access to cycles & settings

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 26, 2024

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

str_replace(“Smart”, “AI”)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah dirt sensors in cleaning devices were a mature technology years ago but now we have to label them AI

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
"ai" was used a lot prior to the ai boom, especially for tv's. probably trickled down to the iot boom as well

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

has anyone made an AI to butt browser extension yet

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

kliras posted:

"ai" was used a lot prior to the ai boom, especially for tv's. probably trickled down to the iot boom as well

the boom started earlier on the image side. was impressive as hell there (dannet in 2011 being a pretty sudden step from pretty crap at everything to superhumanly good at many tasks, the death of old style capt has), but i think it is the generative aspect that captured people's imagination since.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it should be rear end

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shame Boy posted:

my washing machine is one of those old style top loaders that just spins back and forth for a while

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

just get a miele. you're welcome

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the NHTSA dropped their tesla self-drive investigation and the results should not be surprising to anyone ITT

quote:

“A comparison of Tesla’s design choices to those of L2 peers identified Tesla as an industry outlier in its approach to L2 technology by mismatching a weak driver engagement system with Autopilot’s permissive operating capabilities,” the agency said.

Even the brand name “Autopilot” is misleading, NHTSA said, conjuring up the idea that drivers are not in control. While other companies use some version of “assist,” “sense,” or “team,” Tesla’s products lure drivers into thinking they are more capable than they are. California’s attorney general and the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles are both investigating Tesla for misleading branding and marketing.

NHTSA acknowledges that its probe may be incomplete based on “gaps” in Tesla’s telemetry data. That could mean there are many more crashes involving Autopilot and FSD than what NHTSA was able to find.

tldr: not only does it constantly get into accidents, it does a poo poo job of enforcing driver engagement even compared to other cars' assist features

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

while eds analysis may be a bit basic, and probably not entirely accurate about Raghavan, he has made the big G upset

https://bsky.app/profile/zitron.bsky.social/post/3kqyf7m7q2l2y