Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

microsoft: we will resolutely double down on deploying this worthless bullshit everywhere

as predicted, there is no level of failure that will prevent them from cramming their gpt engine into every single product line they own, whether or not it even makes any sense as a feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pollyanna posted:

it’s not about product, feature, or sense. it’s about money. future bagholders see chatgpt and spew dollar signs everywhere, so don’t think about it too hard and just grift

for a startup seeking vc, yes. for microsoft? their grift is ten thousand subscriptions services and licensing schemes, what the gently caress do they need chatgpt for?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, their star product accused a reporter of murder during a pr fluff piece, by microsoft's standards this is a stunning success

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's no such thing as bad press.

there's also no such thing as harassment, i assure myself as my llm becomes increasingly unhinged with reporters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's broken in quite a few ways, which is why microsoft has expanded its service to answer questions in group chats with your family

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

so, like, are you predicting this to bring msft share prices down?

no, i'm saying this is a bad product that will in an absolute best case scenario be a detriment to everything they shoehorn it into, and they will absolutely shoehorn it into everything they sell.

i'm saying this will in a real and measurable sense make my life worse

idgaf about microsoft's stock

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

I know about that but there will never be enough of those people to "solve" the population "problem." if the richest million families had 10 extra kids each over 10 years it still wouldn't do much of anything

I am keenly aware it's a rotten argument to its core I just don't get the point of it other than casual racism, it's infuriatingly nonsensical and I also don't get why so many valley tech weenises believe in it

well, you see, it's looking a lot like idocracy was a documentary

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

that couple goes into how they are 'secular calvinists' i am not making this up

impressive

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

imagine finding someone so perfectly suited to you.

truly, they deserve each other

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's like a fairy tale

i mean that in the sense of traditional fairy tales

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is the future you idiots asked for

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just set a treadle down there and go to town

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graham chapman starts getting very frustrated with you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

your amg is a pos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

weird how that keeps happening

i'm sure none of the incredible feature set will require constant access to hosted back-end systems that will be sunset as soon as they've lost interest in those services

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just be glad you don't work for facebook

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

since you're here, could you fix search?

tia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i already did but you're not doing it right

i think the proper method is to only want to find the things that google will return

anyway, very earnestly, good luck. i hope you're able to keep your job as-is

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i had a disk with a bunch of these as a kid, i think it came with a calendar or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

please tell me no one actually thought there was testosterone in the burrito. no one is that credulous/i don't even know what to call it right? am i about to be disappointed?

this is yospos, you know they are

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

another terminally aggrieved idiot has lost his meal ticket and is about to start lashing out at everyone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think that might be the one where he tells people to use "the secret" and also argues maybe gravity doesn't exist, everything is just expanding all the time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

post hole digger posted:

a single digit number of readers laughed at this joke in 1995 and they all post in the yospos geriatrics thread now

i do not post in that thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

post hole digger posted:

the conversation was about twitter. try to keep up.

the nazi website?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they're called mangas, jeff.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

technically yes.

unless hbag starts another thread and we don't post in it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

consider it a poignant metaphor for his downfall

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

yeah it's the juxtaposition of "here's fun character dogbert i draw" being erased and replaced with "antifa are nazis and elizabeth warren is the most far left person i still consider valid"

it's far far better than anything scott adams has ever done intentionally

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao if true

quote:

Even the monetization infrastructure team overseeing Twitter's revenue streams was hit by the job cuts, going from 30 people down to eight.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is a step beyond burning the furniture to heat the house. this is burning the house down for warmth

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. lmao. remember when i said microsoft was going to shoehorn their gpt poo poo in everywhere?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

imo it's a real missed opportunity moving away from the cortana branding for their unhinged "ai" assistant

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i still disagree with this, is it useful? no. will it make microsoft money? no. will it drive google to do something insane? yes, probably. will it harm microsoft share prices? probably not.

and i think that sums to a great opportunity from microsofts perspective.

plus it'll likely keep being funny in various ways.

well, okay, so in what sense does it work?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bing went from "what if you wanted google to return more scams?" to "at least as good as google" without any significant changes on microsoft's part, so i think you're right, and this is a winning strategy for them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

at least we can finally have sex with cortana just like in my fanfictions

no, that's the thing, it's not cortana. they stopped using the name of the video game ai character with toes that went rampant in the stories.

idk if the branding change really had that in mind, but considering the performance of the current gpt powered stuff, it's a real shame

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

Melting ice caps to make 2+2=5 and write real estate ads :rock:

techbubble.txt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

lol and now alexa is dead

naturally, microsoft is bundling alexa with new windows installs, today. on the same os that still ships with cortana. and now has sidney under the hood as well.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fresh_cheese posted:

horseshit

67 ibm was still within viewing distance of the knifes edge of continuing to be a business due to investment in developing the s/360 and os/360 platform. they just were doing ok.

72 ibm was beginning the real upswing of business modernizing paper processes into computerizing, the curve of the hockey stick where it starts to go asymptotic. they werent really made of money till like 1981 ish

18 yea no argument utterly hollow by this point

the business history knower has logged on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

the ibm offices in midtown manhattan still use the 8-bar one too

i went there with the architect's grandson :cool:

this used to be downtown toronto.

it's a sushi restaurant now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

lol time traveling dickbutt

lol. loving owned.

that's what i get for grabbing the first gis result