Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

an association with what op

things girls like???

Infantilization mostly

I am not a woman so maybe not the most knowledgeable there but I'm sure there are things women enjoy that aren't little chibi girls

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Infantilization mostly

its just a cute artstyle lol

like i dont think its an especially good probe image but cmon, freaking hunterxhunter goes into that artstyle sometimes for comedy purposes

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ADTRW is containment

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I am going to get incredibly weird online about people talking about chibi or moe art styles until all threads are pre-screened by the mods

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remembering when someone was talking about the sailor moon fighting game and the exchange went

'i played that little chibi one, i forget her name'
'chibi'
'well thats real loving convenient'

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I more don't like users being branded that way. I get it's supposed to be a punishment so being embarrassing and condescending is part of the point but I'd really rather that get achieved in some other way. Potential outward perception may be contributing bias to me but I honestly just don't like the atmosphere that creates.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stop being weird about anime, ninjewstu

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

I more don't like users being branded that way. I get it's supposed to be a punishment so being embarrassing and condescending is part of the point but I'd really rather that get achieved in some other way. Potential outward perception may be contributing bias to me but I honestly just don't like the atmosphere that creates.
whats embarrassing and condescending about the cute patchouli blob

shes cute
shes small
shes a cat (i think???)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I think probe images are just supposed to be funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

catchouli nyaaledge

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

I think probe images are just supposed to be funny

Plutonis posted:

The Probation Image should be Puri-Puri Prisoner loving a man in the rear end behind bars

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Why do people get worked up over people liking cute stuff and try to find a deeper meaning behind it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Whether it’s the sagas thread or the vtuber thread this site is very happy to give in to whoever can shout the loudest about whatever the worst posters in a thread do so just laugh about it imo.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

the people in charge are kind of sensitive to loving a man in the rear end talk right now, might need to shelve this idea for a bit

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjewtsu posted:

it's not a branding...? it's a funny joke av a friend had for a bit. it wasn't supposed to be embarrassing or condescending when they had the av. it was just a funny av. this is like being concerned over the idea of giving people larry-esque shrunk avs

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

FilthyImp posted:

As adorable as that might be (save for the weird baby hands?) I can see this negatively reinforcing some of the preconceptions other folks have about "that loving weird anime forum".

who cares, those folks can stay away

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This handwringing is like some 00s era poo poo of thinking people will call you 'gay' for watching inuyasha or something lol

Also the custom probation images only show up...In the forum, so if you're still afraid your friends in GBS might find out you post in ADTRW, it's not going to contribute to that lol.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 14, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

It shouldn't be Patchi in the jail because she has done nothing wrong
EDIT: wait no maybe that makes it better?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

GloomMouse posted:

It shouldn't be Patchi in the jail because she has done nothing wrong
EDIT: wait no maybe that makes it better?

it does

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is there something more insulting about a probation image being a tiny chibi anime character than there is about it being a picture of a cat in a prison outfit

actualyl isnt the default av for newbies literally just a baby with text saying STUPID NEWBIE how is that less weird. unless that got changed, dont think i've seen it in forever

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 14, 2023

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think it's a guy getting punched out now

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Whether you love anime or hate anime, people on something awful are loving weird about anime

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

i think it's a guy getting punched out now

yeah

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

the OG baby and the old cat jail probation avs were much better. Dunno why they were changed.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

the OG baby and the old cat jail probation avs were much better. Dunno why they were changed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3903324

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
we definitely need an anime stupid newbie avatar change.

ippo is a good easy one to look to

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

While I am reasonably assured that jeffery of yospos loves anime, I don’t think he’s going to make the stupid newbie ava an anime reference

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Just for this forum

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Look I didn't want to start a whole thing about the probe av, I just wanted to remind folks how innocuous things bring folks braying for Fluff blood.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I apologize.

Namtab posted:

While I am reasonably assured that jeffery of yospos loves anime, I don’t think he’s going to make the stupid newbie ava an anime reference
I thought the discussion about that was as an Anime Forum style sheet thing and not whole forum wide?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Everything in this forum should be a k-on reference

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ah 40 posts in the feedback thread over night, who had a weird melty this time

e: ah. lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Namtab posted:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Namtab posted:

can't argue with that

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just ordered the complete K-On omnibus last night so i'll report back any inspiration

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I think any person who is going to assume the worst about the patchouli probe image is gonna treat any anime themed image the same way, so if we want a cool custom image I don't think trying to appease people who reflexively hate anything anime should be a factor.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 14, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Namtab posted:

I don't want to post on a nazi forum

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i like the kita one

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

imo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like the Luffy one. The big grin really sells it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Namtab posted:

he does not actually. when he was doing fighting game themed announcements right after the troubles i told him in pms to title one of them actress again and he said it was "too anime". motion denied.