Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

making it a hard rule is annoying but people should be more willing to make threads

This!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

making it a hard rule is annoying but people should be more willing to make threads

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
what if the thread fails, how would i live that down. i be known as one that made a thread that didn't work

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Been there done that. It doesn't matter. :justpost:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

I do genuinely think that by containing all episodic discussion of a season within one thread is the worse option. It might be a bit annoying but I do think that we'd see more good threads being made if we had a hard cutoff in the seasonal thread. It also means that the seasonal thread can swivel into a kinda news/rumours of the season thread rather than discussing 95% of the anime of the season episode by episode. I've made threads that didn't make it past two pages about a seasonal anim, and that's OK.

Maybe we can just start with the admin and IKs encouraging people to spin things off into threads rather than a hard rule, but I do think that the old 3 episode test rule was actually good.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
just try the 3 ep test rule for a season and if it sucks get rid of it again. bazinga

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
rules are usually as annoying as whoevers enforcing them. and the current iks are reasonable people. so i think itll be fine

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Namtab posted:

I do genuinely think that by containing all episodic discussion of a season within one thread is the worse option. It might be a bit annoying but I do think that we'd see more good threads being made if we had a hard cutoff in the seasonal thread. It also means that the seasonal thread can swivel into a kinda news/rumours of the season thread rather than discussing 95% of the anime of the season episode by episode. I've made threads that didn't make it past two pages about a seasonal anim, and that's OK.

Maybe we can just start with the admin and IKs encouraging people to spin things off into threads rather than a hard rule, but I do think that the old 3 episode test rule was actually good.

if you hate it that much just make threads for shows you're watching

like what problem are you trying to solve exactly that you don't already have the power to fix with "here's a thread to talk about namtab's show of the season"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah what is honestly stopping people from doing threads for the seasonal anime they are hyped for

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nothing, thats the point, they just don't

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A tried and true formula for making a thread is to just post some promo art + a blurb from MAL or something. It's appreciated when people put effort into their OPs but heck if an OP is barebones it's not gonna scare anyone off either if they really wanna talk about the show. Just something that someone can whip up in a few minutes if a particular series without a thread is getting some chatter in the season thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

i think making it a hard rule sucks though. ive checked out stuff because it got discussion in the seasonal thread that i wouldnt have if it was forced off a cliff into its own separate zone. anime discussion forum should be able to discuss anime as a mix of the stuff currently airing like normal people rather than being forced with shock collars into making a 5 post ghetto for the current season of shadowverse or whatever.

if something's getting constant discussion episode-by-episode in the season thread then yeah it needs its own thread (spellblades this season would be a good example) but a hard rule would read to me like someone would get yelled at for making a single post to say 'hey this anime nobody's watching rn is good.'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 10, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

genuinely: a lot of this forum's value would be lost to me if this was made a hard rule

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I don't think forcing new threads to be made would be valuable. Encouraging it while not making it a rule is probably a good middle ground.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Plutonis posted:

Yeah what is honestly stopping people from doing threads for the seasonal anime they are hyped for

Laziness

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Plutonis posted:

Sometimes you're hyped for a dumb show like Mashle and it's likely the thread won't get many posts anyway so you just toss in the occasional "wow, this is dumb and very fun!" In the season chat and see if anyone else trips into it.

Season chat is fun because I can see folks get increasingly captivated or frustrated by a show I haven't seen yet.

Anyway, since everything is Cours now and not like a run of 45 episodes it feels harder to justify a thread for something that does well, gets a S2 but won't be seen until 2024-25.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Sometimes you're hyped for a dumb show like Mashle and it's likely the thread won't get many posts anyway so you just toss in the occasional "wow, this is dumb and very fun!" In the season chat and see if anyone else trips into it.

Season chat is fun because I can see folks get increasingly captivated or frustrated by a show I haven't seen yet.

Anyway, since everything is Cours now and not like a run of 45 episodes it feels harder to justify a thread for something that does well, gets a S2 but won't be seen until 2024-25.

Wrong on all levels. Make a thread

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Not every thread needs a million posts to be worthwhile. If a thread only gets a page or two then heck, if people enjoyed posting in it then it was worth making.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

You mean split Cours. Everything's been on cours units forever, but it's only recently that split cours are a thing (i.e. they're still part of the same production run, just that there's a season in between to ease scheduling). An S2 is technically different as that's a whole new production. Crunchy and other streamers don't know the difference of course and it doesn't matter to them.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Split cours lite

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xelkelvos posted:

An S2 is technically different as that's a whole new production.

Unless you're Banrise and you market split cours as two seasons for whatever reason.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what if i make a thread and people don't have fun posting in it, or even worse have fun making posts i don't like

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Namtab posted:

why not just lock the thread a few weeks into the season

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vizuyos posted:

why not just lock the thread a few weeks into the season
that sounds even worse

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think the current compromise of people being encouraged but not forced to make new threads is fine, and I look forward to the implementation of this in autumn

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think the vibes in adtrw are actually pretty good for the first time in awhile and any rule change about where you can talk about a new show would be silly.

However I would like to implement a rule to make more people read zatch bell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I concur

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Do we have a hard and fast rule on Thread Necromancy if say Season 2 of a show from 2021 gets announced? I'm thinking of specifically "Banished from the Hero's Party" which just got it's announcement for season 2 in Winter 2024. Its thread is like 8 pages deep in the forum but if it's better to just start a new thread and link to the old, I wasn't sure which route to go with.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kvantum posted:

Do we have a hard and fast rule on Thread Necromancy if say Season 2 of a show from 2021 gets announced? I'm thinking of specifically "Banished from the Hero's Party" which just got it's announcement for season 2 in Winter 2024. Its thread is like 8 pages deep in the forum but if it's better to just start a new thread and link to the old, I wasn't sure which route to go with.

no concrete rule that isn't old probably, i'd say a new thread w/ a link to the old one is the best option since people are more inclined to click on fresh threads

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

:justpost:

Making new threads ftw

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Revive the old thread and make a new one and whichever one gets more attention gets to live.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Two threads enter, one thread leaves...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Put slow mode on the one piece manga thread so I dont have 400+ posts to catch up on

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jose posted:

Put slow mode on the one piece manga thread so I dont have 400+ posts to catch up on

bro reads One Piece and is really complaining about having to read a lot

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

symbolic posted:

bro reads One Piece and is really complaining about having to read a lot

this. motherfucker you are reading the most popular and one of the longest running manga

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've read it multiple times in fact

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
it's 45 days into 2024 and there is still no 2024 ADTRW Feedback thread.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Julias posted:

it's 45 days into 2024 and there is still no 2024 ADTRW Feedback thread.

you can't improve perfection

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

2023 was a good year, perhaps 2024 will be even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I heard there's gonna be a vtuber thread this year.