Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i am harry posted:

wish someone would have the balls to start writing a book and publish it before getting to the ending like Philip k Dick used to

it owns actually that the ending of ubik is the literary equivalent of an author making GBS threads in your pillow while flipping you off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Everyone ruling over us is an imbecile who has no clue what they're doing. All the "smart" (comparatively) or competent elites probably retired or died decades ago. Now we have these idiots who probably need help dressing themselves in the morning.

Nobody was ever competent they just surfed the wave of ez oil growth and looked smart.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shipon posted:

is this why people are suddenly deciding the prequels are good because this shows the limits of that

no that was internet irony poisoning

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

hobbesmaster posted:

just don’t ask anyone in special circumstances how new planets join up

Sending in a reincarnated former slave to kill the most powerful man on the planet and his multiple-lifelong dedication to maintaining the institution of slavery?

vespers was capitalism incarnate with his VR gaming empire leading him to cut a deal with other civilizations to create perpetual torture afterlife 'hells' for them to cast their undesirable population into, making him insanely rich on the backs of trillions of sentient beings unimaginable, eternal suffering

how awful, who could countenance such a thing.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

pretty much every sf/f property is about removing an evil monarchy just to put another monarchy in its place, but it's ok, these ones are good people

Actually Star Wars was about what George Lucas saw happing in America. The Galactic Republic overtime lost interest in the common good and corporate lobbyists slowly gained a foothold appointing figurehead leaders and toothless bureaucrats until the republic was so riff with corruption and stupidity it allowed a fascist to take power and overtime dissolve the republic and turn it into an empire. The story is about a band of freedom loving people trying to bring down the empire and restore a democratic republic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Oldest Man posted:

neoliberal capitalism is wild because it is simultaneously one of the most flash-in-the-pan political economies in history (growing from a nascent idea to world dominance to self-driven collapse in a century or less) and yet one of its main strengths is the ability to convince huge numbers of people that no other political economy is feasible despite mountains of evidence to the contrary and loads of evidence that neoliberal capitalism itself is rapidly self destructing

it's like a viral hemorrhagic fever, too deadly to its end hosts to become endemic under normal conditions

Bar Crow posted:

It manage to emerge in the prefect window where productivity gains due to technology could counteract the rot. All effort could be put into propaganda because the system had the appearance of stability.

I keep thinking more the more cartoonishly catastrophic kind of drug habit, especially how it rewires people's brains to believe it's not possible to function without it, and initial bursts of productivity are inevitably overtaken by the need for more to prop up the unsustainable patterns and tearing the copper out of the walls to feed the raging addiction.

Of course it couldn't emerge in any other conditions than exponential productivity gains due to technology because it collapses under literally any external pressure otherwise

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
star wars is about

1) that scene with natalie portman in the leather bdsm dress by the fireplace

2) that scene when the monster rips natalie portmans shirt midriff off

3) space ships

4) thrawn

5) aayla secura's heaving blue knockers

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

mistermojo posted:

its cool that google search, once known for being insanely fast, now loads a placeholder element that takes 3 seconds to generate a lovely AI answer to a query. great work team

don't use chrome, they "punish" firefox users by not giving them access to their dogshit ai

i am harry posted:

wish someone would have the balls to start writing a book and publish it before getting to the ending like Philip k Dick used to

this is neil stephenson erasure

e: tbf he "ends" his books by throwing the reader out of a speeding car into a brick wall. "Oh good, there's my pagecount. Um, sure I guess she gets raped then escapes and finds her adoptive mother before she's turned into a pile of goo but it doesn't matter because the mongol hoardes are here. Audible hopes you enjoyed this presentation of "The Diamond Age" by Neil Stephenson"

Harik has issued a correction as of 06:51 on May 5, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Verbal contract ain't worth the paper it's written on.

In life as in the workplace millennials onwards have had this beaten into them yes, anyone who insists on not writing things down is trying to gently caress with you

Also it loving sucks for anyone who isn't a white male neurotypical who just doesn't think you're a culture fit lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mistermojo posted:

its cool that google search, once known for being insanely fast, now loads a placeholder element that takes 3 seconds to generate a lovely AI answer to a query. great work team

lol dude it is loving dog poo poo lmfao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i stopped using google like 4 years ago. duckduckgo sucks but at least it's no google-suck

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

blatman posted:

it owns actually that the ending of ubik is the literary equivalent of an author making GBS threads in your pillow while flipping you off

“hey I’m philip k dick and I bet now that the characters have reached the high castle you’d love to see where this all goes.
well gently caress you. close my book.
that’s right close the whole god damned thing.
good night.”

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

"people thinking the economy is bad is nothing but vibes.jpg"

fakeedit: Siri contrast this graph to the wealth gains of the 0.1%

realedit: found the excess savings

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
isnt the bottom 20% negative in net assets lmao

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Salt Fish posted:

Nobody was ever competent they just surfed the wave of ez oil growth and looked smart.

It’s this. The book out of the ‘70s funk was down to a little gift from nature in the North Sea and Alaska. No one can accuse Reagan or Maggie of having some master plan that was going to work out given how neoliberalism unfolded once energy constrictions started biting.

Everyone can accidentally boost productivity and claim to be a genius when they have effectively free money thrown at their project.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Xaris posted:

i stopped using google like 4 years ago. duckduckgo sucks but at least it's no google-suck

Kagi has a ChatGPT thing now. :razz:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Kagi has a ChatGPT thing now. :razz:

lmfao wtf. wasnt the whole selling point "hey we're google but from 2004 and ergo don't entirely suck rear end?"

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
https://wolfstreet.com/2024/05/01/o...out-rate-hikes/

quote:

Oh Deary, Where Did my Rate Cuts Go?

Suddenly Lots of Talk about “Rate Hikes”

“Hike” and “rate hike” were mentioned 8 times by reporters and by Powell during the FOMC’s post-meeting press conference today. Those terms weren’t mentioned at all in the press conferences during Rate-Cut Mania, which were all about “rate cuts,” how many and when.

“So, let me address cuts,” Powell said. “Obviously, our decisions we make on our policy rate will depend on the incoming data, how the outlook is evolving, and the balance of risks, as always. We’ll look at the totality of the data. We think that policy is well positioned to address different paths that the economy might take.”

“We don’t think it would be appropriate to dial back our restrictive policy stance until we’ve gained greater confidence that inflation is moving down sustainably to 2%,” he said.

sounds like the economy is going to be going gangbusters by october

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Palladium posted:

isnt the bottom 20% negative in net assets lmao

yeah. bottom 50% average is like 30k

I had to beg the dirt I'm standing on for a $35k loan to stay afloat, very sustainable dirt farming. That will pay for a vacation to the tropics the doubling of insurance prices this year + the 50% hike in electricity and 75% hike in groceries...

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Xaris posted:

lmfao wtf. wasnt the whole selling point "hey we're google but from 2004 and ergo don't entirely suck rear end?"

Guessing the nerds wanted more features, so there’s an LLM window that opens up a bit like Google’s for generating some collated answer from queries. I think you can just switch it off, but I found it amusing nonetheless.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

What's wrong with living with your parents...? :thunk:

Can't walk around the house naked when they're around.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

super sweet best pal posted:

Can't walk around the house naked when they're around.

Beg to differ.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Horseshoe theory posted:

What's wrong with living with your parents...? :thunk:

they get annoying after a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Harik posted:

"people thinking the economy is bad is nothing but vibes.jpg"

fakeedit: Siri contrast this graph to the wealth gains of the 0.1%

realedit: found the excess savings

:mome::mome::chome::chome::chome::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::chome::chome::chome::mome::mome: