Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

a troll that lives under a bridge and when it comes out it starts talking to the bridge crossers about how, while it understands their rents have moved to a higher level and they are still upwardly adjusting, those rents have stabilized.

also it looks remarkably like janet yellen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

first derivative is flat-ish what more do you want

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Xaris posted:

exit through the grift shop

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

AMERICA [POINTING GUN TO OWN HEAD]: "We'll do it, China! We'll fuckin do it!"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

yep. there is no realistic way out of this

What if the government instituted strict price caps and told corporations they could only make x% of profit on goods and services sold???

Oh wait:

RealityWarCriminal posted:

yep. there is no realistic way out of this

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Beached Whale posted:

Meet the new hotness, No Landing

lol this is one of the most incredible images I’ve ever seen

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the realistic way out is America being rebuilt as a Chinese protectorate

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It was a failed experiment. Time to make a new country ran by HEB and Costco.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“nothing will change until a political change” has been clear for awhile I think

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

double nine posted:

out of morbid curiosity, is a depression "possible" given current beancounting rules?

If the material economy goes down the toilet, people need to live more on debt/credit cards/what have you to survive another day, this debt gest counted as "production" in gdp statistics so it "increases" gdp.

the fact that these numbers aren't good for society is irrelevant if those gdp forecasts are about growth due to indebdedness vs growth in material production

by the rules? no, they won’t even admit recession anymore and changed the definition a few years ago after two quarters of shrinking gdp. practically speaking yes. michael roberts for example contends we’ve been in a long depression essentially since 2008

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
we’ve been in a depression since 2008 lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

drive around the USA and it certainly looks like an economic depression. nothing is getting built or done. outside of a few places

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

webcams for christ posted:

yeah lots of gems today

swinging for the fences

lmao what is this ancient bitch doing

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

loquacius posted:

I don't have money in there but they do have my car loan and a credit card

if they go under does that debt disappear? (spoken with the same tone as someone asking a cashier if something is free because it didn't scan right)

the $400 I was overdrawn at Washington mutual when they went under in 2008 did so…. yes. yes it will

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Xaris posted:

like him or hate him, being a taintrunner is the new aspirational american dream

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

post hole digger posted:

the $400 I was overdrawn at Washington mutual when they went under in 2008 did so…. yes. yes it will

choosing to accept this data point as the only one I need

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
So new article blaming inflation on pandemic stimulus when?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Euro is at 1.08 which is kind of middling to be honest, and the Yuan is at 7.25, it was at 7.26 last year. I doubt many people are going to Russia.

Basically, a bunch of weebs are having the time of their lives and local Japanese people absolutely hate them for it. The problem for Japan is while a hoard of Americans coming in does bring in some cash, it is a drop in the bucket compared to the state of the Japanese economy. It is unclear what would be possible to even save them at this point.

Good job LDP

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Apr 25, 2024

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Nodelphi posted:

So new article blaming inflation on pandemic stimulus when?

excess savings

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Popoto posted:

the scene in Chernobyl when the reactor is going critical and the numbers just keep beeping bigger but it’s the economy

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why come out and say this ... ?

webcams for christ posted:

yeah lots of gems today

swinging for the fences

We are fighting a world war

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Biplane posted:

$12k a month mortgage, what the gently caress. That's over a third of my projected yearly pre-tax income :negative:

I will never move unless I get laid off or divorced because I’m barely pay more than $12k a year for my mortgage.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
The Russia thing is about a measure in the tiktok ban bill. There's about 4-5 billion in frozen Russian assets subject to US jurisdiction. The bill provides a framework for Biden to confiscate them and use the money for Ukraine aid.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

friend working at Best Buy confirms again this morning that the willingness of retail employees to get yelled at by the elderly is basically the thin line between these same elderly people walking out with their money or walking out with 1200 dollars in Apple cards to get rich/get married

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

They are doing the no landing thing lol
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1783508325608706135?t=7a9cIjO0BZ2rSig6wqx6fA&s=19
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1783508328884342923?t=FMt49-ihGLImKAMOjvn-jg&s=19

Beautiful Paul
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1783506390016815174?t=O0689_aqMqcii6s5TjEcHA&s=19

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Beached Whale posted:

Meet the new hotness, No Landing

By no landing, are they trying to say economy is doing great and everything is going to the moon?

Or is it that the nose dive is so hard it will punch straight through the ground and leave a giant crater with no survivors?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the invented a metaphor about planes and now treat is a serious economic idea

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

selec posted:

friend working at Best Buy confirms again this morning that the willingness of retail employees to get yelled at by the elderly is basically the thin line between these same elderly people walking out with their money or walking out with 1200 dollars in Apple cards to get rich/get married

i've seen multiple articles in the news about old people getting scammed online out of their savings on the news.
like one old lady jumped into the Mississippi river after she came under money laundering investigation and another lady robbed a bank.

https://x.com/CBSNews/status/1783249560237756734

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

What does 'no landing' mean? Like just letting inflation stay high and not moving rates? Is that the same as stagflation?

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Orvin posted:

By no landing, are they trying to say economy is doing great and everything is going to the moon?

Or is it that the nose dive is so hard it will punch straight through the ground and leave a giant crater with no survivors?

soft landing is increasingly impossible to fathom, hard landing IS impossible because history ended in 1992, so the only conclusion is that there is no landing. 🎼 love me, I’m a liberal

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess it would mean the plane never lands ??

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Orvin posted:

I have no idea of the actual economics (to the extent they exist), but having read this thread for a while: I'm guessing they will claim the former and the latter will be what ends up happening.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

caelxii posted:

What does 'no landing' mean? Like just letting inflation stay high and not moving rates? Is that the same as stagflation?

the term stagflation was made illegal and is antisemetic under the recent congressional omnibus aid bill

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

as far as I understand, what the Fed is trying to "Land" i.e. bring from higher to lower, are Inflation and Wages (aka the Dual mandate: Price Stability and Maximum Employment)

"No Landing" means that inflation and wage growth continue to fail to meet the (lower) target rates, while the economy grows, despite restrictive monetary policy

Stagflation suggests inflation + gdp stagnation or contraction, which is slightly different

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the fed has never ever once ever cared about maximum employment

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

euphronius posted:

the fed has never ever once ever cared about maximum employment

it's their euphemism for Labor Discipline, which they do care about

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Those readings point at the plane heading towards a stagflation type scenario

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ok yeah that is true

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Basically, a no landing scenario made sense as long as growth stayed high as consumer spending and exports stayed elevated (in part due to drilling); it made sense to a certain degree because people put everything on cards, unemployment went up but it wasn't spiking, and they kept on pumping out of West Texas. However, the issue at the moment is people are maxing their cards, oil production is levelling off, and unemployment is starting to tick upwards.

They can't bring inflation down, so just "no landing" is the best hope when it really seems like stagflation. Perhaps they may be able to goose growth about 0% and thus claim "everything is cool" but looks like high/er rates, higher inflation, and slowing growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Scarabrae posted:

every empire was built on the back of slaves, even wage slaves

decanting another computer toucher for the touching mines