Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sure are a lot of Actually Good regulatory changes lately. Must be an election year :nsa:

all of them easily revised in 2 seconds and within months truely a surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

fits my needs posted:

i've seen multiple articles in the news about old people getting scammed online out of their savings on the news.
like one old lady jumped into the Mississippi river after she came under money laundering investigation and another lady robbed a bank.

https://x.com/CBSNews/status/1783249560237756734
We could kill a few (old) birds with one stone by reinstating the draft exclusively for the 65+ crowd and sending them to fight in Ukraine. Service guarantees citizenship social security!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I know most folks here are usually inside while I work outside, but has anyone else noticed that there has been a ramping up in cars being towed lately in the past few days? For example, just today personally in 4 hours I've saw 5 different tow trucks just picking up cars.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/business/status/1783542033358926110

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

young people want to pay more to fly that is true

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

NeonPunk posted:

I know most folks here are usually inside while I work outside, but has anyone else noticed that there has been a ramping up in cars being towed lately in the past few days? For example, just today personally in 4 hours I've saw 5 different tow trucks just picking up cars.

No, but I live in a poor-as-dirt backwater and I am noticing a lot more out of state plates and temp tags.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

NeonPunk posted:

wouldn’t be surprised if there’s increased repo activity given the absolute state of auto finance + credit delinquency rising in general

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve def noticed a lot of 10-20 year old cars on the road

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/Reuters/status/1783527710167367805

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

its transitory

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She just said last week it wasn’t transitory hahah

Morbus
May 18, 2004

euphronius posted:

young people want to pay more to fly that is true

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

We could kill a few (old) birds with one stone by reinstating the draft exclusively for the 65+ crowd and sending them to fight in Ukraine. Service guarantees citizenship social security!

simply epic for the win sir

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Guidance is transitory. Its the disinflation of expectation management

Morbus
May 18, 2004

euphronius posted:

She just said last week it wasn’t transitory hahah

it is transitorily transitory

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

fits my needs posted:

i've seen multiple articles in the news about old people getting scammed online out of their savings on the news.
like one old lady jumped into the Mississippi river after she came under money laundering investigation and another lady robbed a bank.

https://x.com/CBSNews/status/1783249560237756734

the scams nowadays are pretty sophisticated too. people able to spoof caller-ids. send a driver to pick up money. they really force urgency so people feel pressured and make mistakes.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/thehill/status/1783545520641745288

quote:

Southwest is closing operations at four airports because of delivery delays for Boeing airliners. The cutback comes as the airline reported a first-quarter loss of $231 million and said it will also limit hiring and offer voluntary leave to employees.

The airline is closing operations at Cozumel International Airport in Mexico, Syracuse Hancock International Airport in New York, Bellingham International Airport in Washington state, and George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. The William P. Hobby Airport, the other airport in Houston, will continue to be utilized by Southwest.

Southwest said they “expect” to finish this year with 2,000 fewer workers than in 2023. The airline, dealing with delays from plane manufacturing, is expecting to have 20 plane deliveries this year of Boeing’s 737 Max 8. It represents a reduction from 46 expected earlier in the year.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Morbus posted:

How the gently caress would $26,000 a year be a living wage. Rent alone is going to eat up most or all of that.

The Census Bureau determines poverty status using an official poverty measure (OPM) that compares pre-tax cash income against a threshold three times the cost of a minimum food diet in 1963 and adjusted for family size.
Food was the largest expense for the average person in the 60's. In 2024, this is a terrible metric, because housing is now the largest expense. But to switch to housing would instantly put 60%+ of the country under the poverty line lmfao.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
List of real scam victims here: https://dfpi.ca.gov/crypto-scams/

quote:

A California reports they were contacted via text message by a person claiming to be “Jiahao.” Over several months, following Jiahao’s instructions, the victim purchased crypto assets on an exchange and transferred them to Vexjex.cc where Jiahao claimed they would trade crypto assets for a profit. At some point, the victim was contacted by the website, which claimed that another person deposited money into the victim’s account, so it froze the victim’s account as it appeared to involve money laundering. In order to unfreeze the account, the website instructed the victim to deposit another $450,000.

After that, the victim was unable to access any of their funds. All told, the victim lost more than $1.5 million. The website is no longer in operation.

quote:

A California Victim was approached by “Hao Yang” who instructed him to buy cryptocurrency on Coinbase and send it a website called “NYMEX” where he believed he had opened an account. Eventually he invested more than $650,000. At some point, his NYMEX account showed it was worth at least $10 million funds, but when he tried to withdraw the funds, he could no longer contact the company.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

that age range makes up practically half the fleet, the average age of a car is 12.5 years now in the US. almost 14 years if you only consider passenger cars.

Average age for passenger cars is also increasing at a rate of about 0.5years/year lol

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Father Wendigo posted:

Why not? They already all have their own guns, an itching desire to shoot them at other humans, and a propensity to wake up before 5 am. That's like half of boot camp already.

Professor Moriarty has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Apr 25, 2024

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Ughhhhh q=/=e

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

euphronius posted:

Yeah middle class in America means you can just barely afford to drive a 20 year old car and rent a moldy run down 1970s house.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

euphronius posted:

I live in a fairly low income area and most of the cars here have dents in them or are driving on donuts (sometimes multiple). No one can afford to put more than 10-20 bucks on the pump either. Glad we centered our entire transportation infrastructure around something most working people can barely afford anymore.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah middle class in America means you can just barely afford to drive a 20 year old car and rent a moldy run down 1970s house.

Lol 1970s is a newish house around here

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I work for a big state organization that is a massive employer in the region and we're getting our headcount slashed majorly and out of the blue today. Total shock, even last week management was telling everyone it was going to be fine, we just probably wouldn't get a COL this year. Good times!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beached Whale posted:

I live in a fairly low income area and most of the cars here have dents in them or are driving on donuts (sometimes multiple). No one can afford to put more than 10-20 bucks on the pump either. Glad we centered our entire transportation infrastructure around something most working people can barely afford anymore.

This is un-American. They are supposed to buy $40,000+ new cars on lease or at 17% APR for 60 months.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

a fried chicken place just opened in philly. look at the prices

https://blackhenphilly.com

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
$45 for a whole chicken?!
$50 for a loving cherry soda float????!!!!

And I bet they want 18% to start for "tips" after that bullshit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beached Whale posted:

hah gas is one thing that hasn’t inflated either

good times ahead

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

This is un-American. They are supposed to buy $40,000+ new cars on lease or at 17% APR for 60 months.

I thought the new hotness for buying cars was 84 month loans.

Sure makes buying that Tesla or Chrysler a good plan, seeing if it will even last through the loan agreement, when you can’t roll that night eggy into another new Grand Cherokee because the resale values have tanked so hard.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

triple sulk posted:

I’m absolutely broken because I was disappointed at the exorbitant prices not being more exorbitant

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Orvin posted:

Sure makes buying that Tesla or Chrysler a good plan, seeing if it will even last through the loan agreement, when you can’t roll that night eggy into another new Grand Cherokee because the resale values have tanked so hard.

lol, I didn't know 84-month loans existed for cars. :911:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Orvin posted:

There’s a two tiered system between people who can get financing for those and people who can’t

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

hey they do reservations, can you flip a few to afford a meal?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve been explaining to my spouse that out 8 year old cars are going to last for at least another 8 years or so. They want a new car :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

There’s a two tiered system between people who can get financing for those and people who can’t

Good news, anyone can be financed now! The two-tier system is now "those who can get a decent APR and those who pay 15%+."
My brother, years ago, when he had a 550 credit score, was able to get a $20,000 loan at 30 loving percent APR. He paid the car off in 3 months, but still.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Reservations for fried chicken lol

selec
Sep 6, 2003

euphronius posted:

I’ve been explaining to my spouse that out 8 year old cars are going to last for at least another 8 years or so. They want a new car :(

time to become the spreadsheet spouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

lol owned