Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Infidel Castro posted:

Please stop feeding the troll.

Lol maybe you guys should like, probate him for trolling in a thread that says no trolling then? Hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Infidel Castro posted:

Please stop feeding the troll.

they're phrasing their criticism as a gbs style joke but i don't think they're trolling. this is a feedback thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

Full metal jackass about to hit tha mods with the ol "Chinatown Special" ITT :grin:

lol. discount rear end chinatown

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

bagmonkey posted:

my dude I'm sorry you're BIG mad you can't run around dropping the r-word everywhere like it's 2005 and the Black Eyed Peas are popular but times have changed, society has moved on, and you should too

I honestly don't give a poo poo about using it personally. The fact people endlessly litigate this dumbass poo poo because theyre scared to death trying to comprehend context or posts is dumb as hell.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

Proposal to rename Seth "Shrek Pecksniff"

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I honestly don't give a poo poo about using it personally. The fact people endlessly litigate this dumbass poo poo because theyre scared to death trying to comprehend context or posts is dumb as hell.

The R-word is a slur for disabled people, why should we tolerate immature people who can't stop using it? There's a million other ways to convey the same message but posters are stuck on the fact that we used to throw it around willy nilly when Limp Bizkit was popular

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Aight we're done with that line of questioning

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Back to the "Shrek Pecksniff" petition I entered on to the record earlier today

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

Back to the "Shrek Pecksniff" petition I entered on to the record earlier today

Actually I've been thinking of changing my name to this no joke

Might as well lean into it right?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

bagmonkey posted:

Lol maybe you guys should like, probate him for trolling in a thread that says no trolling then? Hmm

Was working on it. Buttons don't work in the app, and navigating the site on a phone browser with my fat sausage hands ain't easy.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I do like 95%+ posting on the app and the mobile version of SA is uhhhhhh let's be generous and say it needs some improvements

Don't think it's very high on astrals list rn, which, understandable!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Things on astral's high priority list:

* ???

Things on astral's low priority list:

* Everything else

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I know there are some technical issues on the backend where things can get wonky once a thread reaches x pages. I think it’s more that it’s hard for new folks to get into the culture of a mega thread because there’s thousands of pages of back history. I say :justpost: but I can understand less adventurous or newer posters getting intimidated by larger threads.

This is why I avoid the megathreads. Feels like I need to read ancient scrolls from thousands of years ago just to see what the hell everyones talking about

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Space Kablooey posted:

Things on astral's high priority list:

* gamefaq rating buttons for impzone

Things on astral's low priority list:

* Everything else

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

dlrry posted:

This is why I avoid the megathreads. Feels like I need to read ancient scrolls from thousands of years ago just to see what the hell everyones talking about

I used to feel that way too but it really isn’t necessary, at least not in GBS imo. Just lurk a little and read the OP and like the last 5 or 10 pages. If someone jumps on you for asking something that was answered 1000 pages ago, that’s their problem not yours.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I used to feel that way too but it really isn’t necessary, at least not in GBS imo. Just lurk a little and read the OP and like the last 5 or 10 pages. If someone jumps on you for asking something that was answered 1000 pages ago, that’s their problem not yours.

Yeah, most people seem pretty chill in the few threads I lurk, and if you don't know something, people are usually quick to repost whatever thread-lore thing is mentioned, like the 'pete' story in relationships, or mentions of Rene Chang or Haier in the China threads.

Also, because of the AV, I can now never see a flamingo, whether real or plush, without thinking 'Nooner'. Goddamn pavlovian response.

And thanks for bringing back the Ukraine thread.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gay

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
As a cis female,

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dixville posted:

As a cis female,

lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

we need to do something about the brigades

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Dixville posted:

As a cis female,

lmao

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Seriously though I feel like the oval office debate is kinda dumb. Probes/bans should be on a case by case basis anyway. Personally I don't really like the use of it especially considering the site has more men than women so it's kind of creating a bad environment for a minority group. On the other hand the insinuation that women can't "handle" being called a name is honestly a little insulting in itself. Ultimately I am in favor of the ban because I respect the fact that some people find it extremely hurtful and offensive and its really not that hard to just, like, not use it but censorship is not something I'm really a fan of in a general sense. Maybe the truth is ... in the middle???

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Compromise? Context? But then what will the brigades do with all their newfound spare time?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

did someone say gaping assholes

im interested

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nooner posted:

This whole oval office debacle really seems like it shares a lot with whether or not the hard "r" makes a difference

oval office gets most of the attention, but people complain about "wordfilter" moderation for other words, too. I have not seen anyone mount a defense of using the n-word, or fag, or transphobic words, but oval office and the r-word still have their defenders.

As far as I'm concerned, allowing oval office in the Commonwealth threads is allowing for context. The usage of the word is different in those places, so it is allowed there. In non-explicitly Commonwealth threads it is banned.

The rules about word usage as they currently exist set clear expectations and allow for a more consistent and timely response. Having a clear line in the sand makes it easier for people to report violations, and makes it easier to respond to them. There are so many posts per day, and so many threads, that thinking a mod or IK is going to read every single one, much less within a timely manner, is unreasonable. If the rules on word usage were relaxed or made entirely context-dependent it would mean people would be more likely to test the boundaries, posts would linger longer with no response, and punishment for violations would seem that much more arbitrary depending on which individual mod was evaluating the context of the post.

It's honestly a little tedious having to enforce the wordfilter rules, but at least it is pretty clear and unambiguous. It really doesn't come up all that often, and we can sometimes go days without having to probe for it. While I understand some people are not thrilled by the current set of rules around word usage I don't think there are alternative approaches which would be both practical and effective.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
There’s only one time the r-word should be used and that is when describing former US president Donald J Trump, but also I just stopped using it because it sucks outside of that context and it certainly isn’t worth fighting over.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

oval office gets most of the attention, but people complain about "wordfilter" moderation for other words, too. I have not seen anyone mount a defense of using the n-word, or fag, or transphobic words, but oval office and the r-word still have their defenders.

As far as I'm concerned, allowing oval office in the Commonwealth threads is allowing for context. The usage of the word is different in those places, so it is allowed there. In non-explicitly Commonwealth threads it is banned.

The rules about word usage as they currently exist set clear expectations and allow for a more consistent and timely response. Having a clear line in the sand makes it easier for people to report violations, and makes it easier to respond to them. There are so many posts per day, and so many threads, that thinking a mod or IK is going to read every single one, much less within a timely manner, is unreasonable. If the rules on word usage were relaxed or made entirely context-dependent it would mean people would be more likely to test the boundaries, posts would linger longer with no response, and punishment for violations would seem that much more arbitrary depending on which individual mod was evaluating the context of the post.

It's honestly a little tedious having to enforce the wordfilter rules, but at least it is pretty clear and unambiguous. It really doesn't come up all that often, and we can sometimes go days without having to probe for it. While I understand some people are not thrilled by the current set of rules around word usage I don't think there are alternative approaches which would be both practical and effective.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

that response reads like "thanks for the feedback but our current method is perfect and thusly, request denied :thanks:"

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

that response reads like "thanks for the feedback but our current method is perfect and thusly, request denied :thanks:"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

also mods please stop with the finger wagging probation reasons like you're a parent scolding a child (not singling any one mod out on this). it's extremelyt cringe and only further serves to separate mods into this authoritative class that is separateand morally superior to posters

I wanted to go back to this because I think it needs a response. Coming up with probation reasons is not as simple as this, and sometimes feels like a no-win situation. If it's too jokey we're told we aren't being serious enough. We're told probation reasons need to be clear and straightforward, but then we get complaints like the one you're making. There is also a certain amount of time pressure - probing something too long after the fact is something we try to avoid, and having a timely response is something we aim for. And the expectation is that a probation reason should only be a sentence or two, so length is something of a concern, too. Sometimes we do screw up (I know a few of mine have been overly harsh or unclear), and then the only recourse is to ask an Admin to edit it because we can't.

I think we all try to make probation reasons as clear as possible, and funny if we can, but it is a highly restrictive medium to work in.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Dixville posted:

Seriously though I feel like the oval office debate is kinda dumb. Probes/bans should be on a case by case basis anyway. Personally I don't really like the use of it especially considering the site has more men than women so it's kind of creating a bad environment for a minority group. On the other hand the insinuation that women can't "handle" being called a name is honestly a little insulting in itself. Ultimately I am in favor of the ban because I respect the fact that some people find it extremely hurtful and offensive and its really not that hard to just, like, not use it but censorship is not something I'm really a fan of in a general sense. Maybe the truth is ... in the middle???

We don't think women are delicate little flowers that can't handle a naughty word either. Hell, there are quite a few women who've stated they don't care if the word is used. Not all feel that way though, and considering there still is an issue of misogyny here (and the internet as a whole) I'm not all that jazzed about the idea of giving people carte blanche to use the term as they like.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay? It's something I've thought about a lot (obviously), and was just trying to explain how I see it.

This is really not helpful. Should I have included more smilies? Should I swear a little more? What would make it sound less like the dreaded HR voice?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

There’s only one time the r-word should be used and that is when describing former US president Donald J Trump, but also I just stopped using it because it sucks outside of that context and it certainly isn’t worth fighting over.

Yes, Donald J Trump is a Rapacious lover

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

there are plenty of non misogynistic uses of the word oval office. i know it's mainly an american thing to just outright associate the two, but honestly it's just laziness to ban it outright instead of spending literally 2 minutes to look at the context to decide whether it's worth a probe.

tbh though at the end of the day i'm not that bothered, it's worth a 6er to call ricky gervais one

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

there are plenty of non misogynistic uses of the word oval office. i know it's mainly an american thing to just outright associate the two, but honestly it's just laziness to ban it outright instead of spending literally 2 minutes to look at the context to decide whether it's worth a probe.

tbh though at the end of the day i'm not that bothered, it's worth a 6er to call ricky gervais one

the response has plainly been "too much work to read posts. gonna word filter instead. and hands absloutely = tied"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

the response has plainly been "too much work to read posts. gonna word filter instead. and hands absloutely = tied"

Yeah but when someone disagrees with a mod decision it creates four threads in QCS/SAD calling for blood so I kind of understand just banning the word because the some posters can’t handle criticism.

E: removed unnecessary name calling

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 17, 2023

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is really not helpful. Should I have included more smilies? Should I swear a little more? What would make it sound less like the dreaded HR voice?

Maybe we should put our responses in the form of early 90's Ad Council PSA raps.

My name is Castro and I'm here to say
Using the "C" slur ain't OK
I know you all would like it to be
But first we got to address the misogyny!

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 17, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

To some extent, yeah. You're talking about requiring more labor from an unpaid, volunteer workforce. Why would I want to further cut into my shitposting time by feeling expected to read every post in every thread to see if the use of slurs is appropriately contextual? Having clear lines makes it much more manageable.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Infidel Castro posted:

Maybe we should put our responses in the form of early 90's Ad Council PSA raps.

Maybe from now on I will reply only with animated GIFs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

To some extent, yeah. You're talking about requiring more labor from an unpaid, volunteer workforce. Why would I want to further cut into my shitposting time by feeling expected to read every post in every thread to see if the use of slurs is appropriately contextual? Having clear lines makes it much more manageable.

What? When you get a report, do you not look at the context of the post anyways before slamming buttons?