Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Leperflesh posted:

Haha fair enough
it's more like a rummage sale, or really it's the size of a whole flea market but all sold by one entity?

It's hard to find a picture of the whole thing, this is like 25% of the floor from a few years back, with clothing dept in the foreground

the "preview sale" costs money, but after that, you can donate stuff and get in to just buy things during the week, and then there's a general sale date that's free, etc. and then they close down for the rest of the year, while people donate entire estates and poo poo. So the preview sale is the first chance to get in on the stuff that came in the previous six or eight months or something. Hence the standing in line and paying for tickets.

man i gotta get in on this next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

are you in the SF bay area? Because yeah! This was like year 15 or so for us. Our friend shows up at like 6:30 to stake out a place early in the line (doors open at 10), we show up at around 8:30 or so, bring chairs and kinda chat with people and sip coffee in the cold, then at 10am you scamper to the best stuff and grab it before anyone else does. Shop till maybe 12 or 1, go home, watch the AFC and NFC championship games, crash. It's a tradition. Always the last sunday of january.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

are you in the SF bay area? Because yeah!

sure am! if you remember, please ping me next time!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK cool sure!
but like you can also just go, like, now, today: https://www.whiteelephantsale.org/2024whiteelephantsaletickets
the preview sale is over, but the regular access runs through feb 24 is five bucks and then free on march 2-3.

they also have shitloads of furniture, by the way, very inconsistently priced, you can find very neat antiques absurdly cheap but also seriously damaged falling apart stuff that is overpriced. As a woodworker it's neat to just look at the cool old stuff and peek at how it was made.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 6, 2024

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

OK cool sure!
but like you can also just go, like, now, today: https://www.whiteelephantsale.org/2024whiteelephantsaletickets
the preview sale is over, but the regular access runs through feb 24 is five bucks and then free on march 2-3.

they also have shitloads of furniture, by the way, very inconsistently priced, you can find very neat antiques absurdly cheap but also seriously damaged falling apart stuff that is overpriced. As a woodworker it's neat to just look at the cool old stuff and peek at how it was made.

oh cool i missed that part

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i cleaned up the bar cabinet it was easy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Haha fair enough
it's more like a rummage sale, or really it's the size of a whole flea market but all sold by one entity?

It's hard to find a picture of the whole thing, this is like 25% of the floor from a few years back, with clothing dept in the foreground

the "preview sale" costs money, but after that, you can donate stuff and get in to just buy things during the week, and then there's a general sale date that's free, etc. and then they close down for the rest of the year, while people donate entire estates and poo poo. So the preview sale is the first chance to get in on the stuff that came in the previous six or eight months or something. Hence the standing in line and paying for tickets.

absolutely one of the profound benefits of living somewhere with a large population

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PokeJoe posted:

stupid computer wood thread. why does such an old "craft" involve so many loving tools???

theyre to save time. you can do more (time) with less (tools) but you dont want to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just do everything with a chisel like this guy that seems like he's probably a weirdo christian fundamentalist. altho i think the title is a lie, he also uses clamps and a mallet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbneBMOQE98

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35lEAPsWG48

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nst2MjyRuo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
isnt papier-mâché a form of woodworking

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

isnt papier-mâché a form of woodworking

yes!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this was from r/woodworking

someone asked why the growth took off

people said you can see the scar from a forest fire (probably) and then lack of completion for sunlight mean accelerated growth

just thought it was cool and would share 🥹

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:smugmrgw:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

people said you can see the scar from a forest fire (probably) and then lack of [s]completion[/i] competition for sunlight mean accelerated growth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
quote id not edit wtf

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

people said you can see the scar from a forest fire (probably) and then lack of completion for sunlight mean accelerated growth

you see this in redwood sometimes. Redwoods kinda grow like bamboo where u get a lil knot of sprouts and theyre all the same tree. So sometimes you get a thing where they branch off and re-merge.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my mum collects a lot of junk but this is actually something worthwhile because it couldn’t be made today, a lot of these timbers are now illegal to cut down or worse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that was a free ruler you got from a panel beater up in the north island

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

im kohekohe

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Armitag3 posted:

im kohekohe

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hello femmes and fellas I got a present from the old home depot today

I bought some wood and one board was missing it's label so I had to tell the cashier what it was. I checked my receipt when I got home and in her confusion she forgot to scan a box of finishing nails. bank error in my favor :c00l:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if you're reading this home depot I did the right thing and spent a extra hour of my time to go back and pay for a $4 box of nails

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

now that they're fine

no I didn't :twisted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VkPWPch-l4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hmm might whittle me a knife tonight.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Dw7whJMe4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i was expecting a
more satisfying reason

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

youd think so based on the title

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't have any rotten wood. It's all dry in the shed.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

xpost

PokeJoe posted:

I went back to the antique store to get the greenwood saw I was keeping an eye on and the owner said he was saving a broken saw to give me for free

I also picked up this fun guy to restore

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that greenwood saw kicks rear end

nice blowtorch too

the only thing in antique stores here are either grandma stuff or monitors from compaq presarios

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I went to the mega one here and it has fewer tools than the small one next to my apartment

and yeah that saw rules it was occupying space in my mind for like 2 weeks so I went and bought it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

the antique shops around here just have garbage. planes are either wood or transitional in awful condition, saw are mostly made of rust, and that's about all i've ever seen for woodworking tools.

in other news i finally put a vise on my built-in workbench.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

imo the vise jaws should be thicker. You're gonna get flex on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

yeah maybe. this white oak is what i had on hand so i used it.