Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mulaney Power Move posted:

For the longest time I fled the gloom hands until I learned how trivial they are to beat as long as you have x y and z but I guess that's Zelda for ya

Actually, all you need is z axis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

OK, Zelda is also stupid. In the memory where Ganondorf pledges fealty to Rauru, she acts like she doesn't know who he is. Does she really not realize that Ganondorf is loving Ganon? Jesus Christ. After all this time.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I think its more that she knows, but doesn't want to accidentally cause a time paradox?

At least, that's the only reason I can think of how she wouldn't be able to put that one together.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's not Hitler, that's Hitlerstein. Totally different guy, would be rude of her to make assumptions

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hylians are so dumb lol

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Zelda didn't realize he was Ganon because she needed a cooked endura carrot to get her mind moving at full speed, but only Link knows how to do that

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

They probably could have just killed him right there and fixed everything, before he gained more power.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

the bug kid gets better? what the gently caress

I didn't think he was THAT sick.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Mulaney Power Move posted:

OK, Zelda is also stupid. In the memory where Ganondorf pledges fealty to Rauru, she acts like she doesn't know who he is. Does she really not realize that Ganondorf is loving Ganon? Jesus Christ. After all this time.

Doesn't matter either way. Rauru was cocky and knew that Ganondorf was to to no food. he just thought that by keeping his enemies close he'd be safe. then forgot to keep his wife safe...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rauru was honestly kind of really stupid, all things considered. Good guy, strong of heart, dumb of rear end.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
He was supposed to be a parallel to Ganon. Someone who is incredibly strong with magic and is cocky because they had essentially unlimited power. He was so sure of his ability to handle every situation he got complacent as his kingdom crumbled away.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Houle posted:

He was supposed to be a parallel to Ganon. Someone who is incredibly strong with magic and is cocky because they had essentially unlimited power. He was so sure of his ability to handle every situation he got complacent as his polycule crumbled away.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

That's mythic god-kings for ya, I guess :shrug:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Probably neglected his duties and focused too much on hiding eggs every April

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Houle posted:

He was supposed to be a parallel to Ganon. Someone who is incredibly strong with magic and is cocky because they had essentially unlimited power. He was so sure of his ability to handle every situation he got complacent as his kingdom crumbled away.

To be fair, he straight up walks into his own certain death fully acknowledging that his hubris got him in that mess to begin with

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmbo this guy just straight up made a car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETQ4vxJIzso

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I checked yesterday and according to my Switch profile I have 210 hours in ToTK. 210 hours! There's still so much crap I haven't done or discovered yet. I have several armor sets that are incomplete and I've seen armor sets mentioned that I haven't even encountered (Fierce Deity?). I have less than 40 bubbul gems. I still have one more geoglyph to find! God damnit I still can't find the barbarian helm. I know it must be in a cave somewhere. It's madness.

But I guess that means I'm getting my money's worth.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I found BotW was chock full of content without feeling too exhaustive right until near the end, and the castle being a wet fart kinda compounded that downturn and left me, not with a sour taste in my mouth but not on the same high I felt playing the rest of the game.

I'm not sure if I can play Tears now. I decided to start a Dark Souls 3 game yesterday and boy did the (more natural, superior) controls take a while to get used to again after Nintendo's dumbery. I know Nintendo has literally never gotten a controller anywhere close to right, but we borrowed Mario Wonder from my brother and I was giving that a try as well and the analog stick being right under the face buttons...lunacy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
While kinda pricy, the 8bitdo ultimate is my favorite controller now as it works wirelessly on PC and Switch without having to do anything other than flip a switch on the back of the controller. It can also turn the switch on from sleep and has gyro controls / whatever the pointer thing is called. D pad also feels pretty solid but I don't quite like it for fighting games.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hey there's nothing wrong with the NES controller. SNES is great. I also love my Switch Pro controller!

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

codo27 posted:

I found BotW was chock full of content without feeling too exhaustive right until near the end, and the castle being a wet fart kinda compounded that downturn and left me, not with a sour taste in my mouth but not on the same high I felt playing the rest of the game.

I'm not sure if I can play Tears now. I decided to start a Dark Souls 3 game yesterday and boy did the (more natural, superior) controls take a while to get used to again after Nintendo's dumbery. I know Nintendo has literally never gotten a controller anywhere close to right, but we borrowed Mario Wonder from my brother and I was giving that a try as well and the analog stick being right under the face buttons...lunacy.

What are you on about, the Switch Pro controller was the best controller released until the PS5.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Veg posted:

What are you on about, the Switch Pro controller was the best controller released until the PS5.

Had to double check that I didn't post this, because I had that exact opinion in mind :tinfoil:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Personally I liked using Hori pro pads but that's mostly cause I played 98% handheld. It gave good grip without being too expensive and I was able to map buttons to an additional qol support.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If there's anyone on earth who hasn't played it yet, BotW is on a pretty good sale on Amazon right now. I never got that far in it cause our kids lost the cartridge on a trip a while ago :argh: and I didn't wanna pay like $70 to repurchase. So gonna jump on that discount and finally finish the game.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

During the SNES JRPG boom I really wanted to get the Ascii Super L5

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
Wait why are people dunking on BotW's final dungeon? It's the best dungeon in the game and frankly it's better than most if not all of TotK's as well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

codo27 posted:

I know Nintendo has literally never gotten a controller anywhere close to right, but we borrowed Mario Wonder from my brother and I was giving that a try as well and the analog stick being right under the face buttons...lunacy.

use a pro controller

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
When you say final dungeon what do you mean? If it's Hyrule Castle, it's probably because of how disjointed it is and how easily you can miss all the cool stuff because there's nothing pointing you to them outside of vague NPC hints. I personally loved it as I explored every area of the map, but I would have liked it more if it didn't require so much back tracking because of the collapsed tunnels.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I wouldn't consider anything in BotW or TotK a dungeon. The shrines, divine beasts, and TotK temples are great for what they are, but they don't really compare to traditional Zelda dungeons; even 2D ones. They're definitely the closest thing in new open-world Zelda to dungeons but still off the mark.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what do you mean "even 2D ones"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Eh I dunno I am playing Link to the Past with my son right now and I feel like the TotK temples fill the traditional dungeon niche pretty well. Sure they aren't the EXACT same formula but it rhymes pretty hard. The main difference is that they aren't the centerpiece of the game, and there's fewer of them.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea my main gripe with BoTW and TotK is the lack of real dungeons. I’d rather have one real dungeon than the entirety of the useless depths or sky islands.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Augus posted:

what do you mean "even 2D ones"

Yeah the 2D ones are probably the best ones.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I think shrines are great and all but it's time to take what was learned by shrines (I'm sure metrics are sent to Nintendo of completion stats when online) and make those into dungeons since dungeons were shrines connected by hallways and the like.

I also hope they learn from the complaints about seeing the same cutscenes five times and make there feel like actual progression. I feel like when people complain about non linearity they mean more that there doesn't feel like an overarching narrative but unrelated sub quests that tie together later on, and even so tangently.

I do think the monster level up is a great idea as they made the dungeons harder as you progress through the game, but the enemies need to be smarter and have more tricks or whatever as you progress instead of just beefing their stats. Make them harder to hit stun. As it stands now when I see a silver enemy it just means that I get to watch it lay on the ground while I alternate between flurry rushes and doing the two handled spin of death. Have them get up and be able to counter, or dodge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Idea: For the next Zelda game go back to traditional dungeons but instead of getting to a room with a treasure that has the big key, dungeon item, compass, or map, each of these have a transporter to a shrine you solve for that item.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Veg posted:

Probably one of the worst D-pads of all time other than maybe the original 360 controller though. Celeste was absolutely unplayable on it and it completely ruined the game for me until I got it on PC. I do like it for stuff that mainly uses the sticks though.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Yeah the 2D ones are probably the best ones.

You ever think about how Capcom might have arguably made better Zelda dungeons than Nintendo? Those Oracle dungeons kick rear end.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I never even considered using Zonai devices for the labyrinths, exploring them without it seemed satisfying enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah sometimes circumventing everything doesn't give you the most fun experience possible. It can be hard to sorta police yourself on doing it too much or too little though.