Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

quiggy posted:

You ever think about how Capcom might have arguably made better Zelda dungeons than Nintendo? Those Oracle dungeons kick rear end.

Oracle games feel like a fan game after playing links awakening dx. Almost all the assets are taken from it. I did really enjoy those games but I don't know if I could go back to ages now.

Link to the Past is still repayable but mostly cause I memorized the entire game over the years so trying new things gives me a sense of novelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Houle posted:

Oracle games feel like a fan game after playing links awakening dx. Almost all the assets are taken from it. I did really enjoy those games but I don't know if I could go back to ages now.

Link to the Past is still repayable but mostly cause I memorized the entire game over the years so trying new things gives me a sense of novelty.

It’s been been fun coming back to LttP after playing it a lot as a kid and then never again. A lot of it might as well be the first time but every so often I get this spidey sense “shoot the statue in the eye” or “bomb this blank wall spot” or whatever and my kid is like “are you a wizard???”.

Why is this the poo poo my brain has retained for
30 years and not like, math.

Fifty Three posted:

I never even considered using Zonai devices for the labyrinths, exploring them without it seemed satisfying enough

It took me a while but after about the 8th time I fell off a cliff walking to the lightroot right over there I started bullshitting it with hover bikes

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Does climbing to the top count as circumventing? Because that's all you need to do for the labyrinths. In BoTW you still had to explore inside somewhat because you couldn't just drop down on whatever the objective was, but that's easily done in TotK, especially for the sky ones.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Well, fun fact, they do literally give you quest markers for where all the seals are in the sky labyrinths, which I didn't know until recently. But I still feel like I enjoyed going through them normally with my treasure sensor on and grabbing all the stuff. Going to the top is kind of a pain since only the "front door" is climbable, if you don't have flying machines at the ready, and even then hopping up and down is inconvenient due to the lack of surfaces unless putting down a travel medallion up there and constantly warping to it doesn't bother you.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Alxprit posted:

unless putting down a travel medallion up there and constantly warping to it doesn't bother you.

Yeah that's how I did it. It was fine. The terminals are only slightly difficult to find in Northeast Labyrinth, so just climbing to the top, dropping down, and then warping back to the top was a lot quicker than the other options. Probably quicker than using a device, even. The ground labyrinths could also be done just by dropping down on the objective. In BoTW you could take shortcuts by climbing to the top and I think you were even meant to do so, but I don't think you could just drop down to where you needed to be, it was a bit more complicated than that.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The armor you get sucks as far as I can tell anyway so anything more wouldn't have been worth it outside of completing shrines, IMO.

In BoTW they give you the best armor in the game for it.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Every time a Zelda game advertises that it's gonna have sky islands, the sky islands totally suck

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's not Hitler, that's Hitlerstein. Totally different guy, would be rude of her to make assumptions

Hearts of Iron Hyrule Run.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Where’s the dlc nintendy!!!

e: the Oracle games rule except for the mermaid suit and the noise the magnet gloves make.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 12, 2024

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They went and put it in the base game, duh

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I was expecting Master Kohga to have constructed a Metal Gear but was sadly disappointed. It also took me way too long to find that drat chasm.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I was expecting Master Kohga to have constructed a Metal Gear but was sadly disappointed. It also took me way too long to find that drat chasm.
It sounds like you haven't finished yet but maybe I'm either misremembering the progression or misinterpreting your post

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It wasn't built from a hodgepodge of zonai parts like some of the crazy stuff you see people making online

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah at the end of the day it was just the construct spirit but evil and bigger. I was kind of hoping his phases would consist of him building more mad max stuff onto it and you being obliged to dismount your own to jump in and disassemble it from inside.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 12, 2024

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Yeah at the end of the day it was just the construct spot but evil and bigger. I was kind of hoping his phases would consist of him building more mad max stuff onto it and you being obliged to dismount your own to jump in and disassemble it from inside.

Yes, it was identical to the Spirit Temple/Mineru fight except after you punch him into the fence, he falls on to the ground rear end up so you have to jump out and hit him for a while unless you want to do weak-rear end Mineru damage. My Mineru had a shock emitter, so I just shocked him, punched him into the fence, then jumped out. Repeated three or four times.

I still need to find the last Yiga outpost so I can get on with the other Yiga clan quest. I also only have the Lightning Temple left and then I'll be done with the Regional Phenomena. I have about 30 shrines left as well. I could probably finish the game this weekend if I ignored getting every shrine. I'd like to find the barbarian helm, though, and I have a ridiculous list of side quests/adventures left to do. I've also maxed out my battery so the depths seem less interesting. Every piece of armor I've found down there has just been like, a collector's item. Something I'll never use.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yes, it was identical to the Spirit Temple/Mineru fight except after you punch him into the fence, he falls on to the ground rear end up so you have to jump out and hit him for a while unless you want to do weak-rear end Mineru damage. My Mineru had a shock emitter, so I just shocked him, punched him into the fence, then jumped out. Repeated three or four times.

I still need to find the last Yiga outpost so I can get on with the other Yiga clan quest. I also only have the Lightning Temple left and then I'll be done with the Regional Phenomena. I have about 30 shrines left as well. I could probably finish the game this weekend if I ignored getting every shrine. I'd like to find the barbarian helm, though, and I have a ridiculous list of side quests/adventures left to do. I've also maxed out my battery so the depths seem less interesting. Every piece of armor I've found down there has just been like, a collector's item. Something I'll never use.

I did the spoilered bit before finding Mineru, and I'm trying to remember how I did it. I think I just sniped him a bunch? Or maybe used bombs? It was a long time ago in that game. I might've also used shock arrow attacks. I just remember it being hectic and fun.

For the Yiga outposts, IIRC, there's one at Akkala Lab, near the cabin at The Great Plateau, and in a really hard to spot area just east of the edge of the whole Death Mountain zone. Seriously, I never would've found it if it weren't for the map in the hideouts showing each location.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I did the spoilered bit before finding Mineru, and I'm trying to remember how I did it. I think I just sniped him a bunch? Or maybe used bombs? It was a long time ago in that game. I might've also used shock arrow attacks. I just remember it being hectic and fun.

For the Yiga outposts, IIRC, there's one at Akkala Lab, near the cabin at The Great Plateau, and in a really hard to spot area just east of the edge of the whole Death Mountain zone. Seriously, I never would've found it if it weren't for the map in the hideouts showing each location.

lol i deliberately avoided hovering over the spoilers and then I clicked reply and saw them anyway. oh well, but as i anticipated there was in fact an obvious clue that i just overlooked

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You know, given that the Yiga's main objective is to murder the legendary swordsman Link, you'd think they would have noticed that I was using the Master Sword in their combat training.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
They like making replicas. They prolly thought this Yiga recruit just had a replica master sword he liked to use to better know the enemy.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

That's bananas

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

lol i deliberately avoided hovering over the spoilers and then I clicked reply and saw them anyway. oh well, but as i anticipated there was in fact an obvious clue that i just overlooked

ah, sorry about that. But in fairness, get the armor, wear it, and go interact with some of the very very obvious yiga traps. You'll be glad you did. I like interacting with the Yiga way more than I enjoy fighting them. Some of the interactions you get while wearing the armor out and about are also really good. Try wearing it when you first attempt to enter the Gerudo region via the ruins, if you haven't yet helped them out. Just uh, don't wear it around Kakariko Village. Nothing bad happens, but it can get kinda :smith:

There's actually 2 more hideouts, but they're both for different things. I won't spoil them, even in spoiler tags, but I'll hint that one of them is right in plain sight if you are traveling along the main roads. That one was actually pretty fun to do the associated quest, The other one you probably already know where it is.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

poo poo , I never new it unlocked that much. I guess it's a good excuse to start a new playthrough.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I felt really dumb when I discovered that the game tells you where to get the armor with giant maps inside the hideouts

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

ah, sorry about that. But in fairness, get the armor, wear it, and go interact with some of the very very obvious yiga traps. You'll be glad you did. I like interacting with the Yiga way more than I enjoy fighting them. Some of the interactions you get while wearing the armor out and about are also really good. Try wearing it when you first attempt to enter the Gerudo region via the ruins, if you haven't yet helped them out. Just uh, don't wear it around Kakariko Village. Nothing bad happens, but it can get kinda :smith:

There's actually 2 more hideouts, but they're both for different things. I won't spoil them, even in spoiler tags, but I'll hint that one of them is right in plain sight if you are traveling along the main roads. That one was actually pretty fun to do the associated quest, The other one you probably already know where it is.

Don't worry, the spoiler wasn't that big of a deal I never would have found it trying to look around Death Mountain, because it's actually in the Aldor Foothills to the west of the Lost Woods, so I wouldn't even have looked there if I went with that hint. Instead, I went back to one of the hideouts I already found and looked at a map, and it still took me probably an hour or two to find.

I've only really "cheated" like maybe twice so far. I gave up on the three balls shrine and just looked up the way to cheese it. And this morning, I spent almost three friggin hours trying to figure out the Rito hot springs side quest and I gave in and looked up enough to see what the reward is (lame) and that I was doing it completely wrong. I was traveling around Hebra trying to figure out how to make the different springs overflow one at a time. I began to think the solution was in the sky islands because there's one where you can drain two ponds and create a waterfall, plus another one right over one the springs that drops blocks down. I was trying to gently caress with the blocks to create a dam. I don't know what the gently caress. It looks like there's just a cave I need to go to and solve some puzzles. I don't know the exact location of the cave or the solution to the puzzles - I only looked up enough to figure out I was wasting my time doing it completely wrong

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 13, 2024

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Don't worry, the spoiler wasn't that big of a deal I never would have found it trying to look around Death Mountain, because it's actually in the Aldor Foothills to the west of the Lost Woods, so I wouldn't even have looked there if I went with that hint. Instead, I went back to one of the hideouts I already found and looked at a map, and it still took me probably an hour or two to find.

:doh: For some reason, I always think the lost woods is much farther west than it actually is. I don't know if it's the lack of otherwise memorable/identifiable landmarks, or what. The whole region between Hebra and Eldin just kinda just smears together for me.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The whole Hebra region is a white blur. I guess the desert is more annoying with the sandstorm. I found my way to town and found some shrines with a fan sled but that's the one area on the surface I haven't spent much time in yet. The depths there are easy to explore, though. I have a bunch of shrine locations ticked off thanks to that, but I haven't done them yet.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 13, 2024

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, the desert is much easier to explore after the storm is cleared, and much more interesting than the area around the lost woods. As for Hebra, while it's got some interesting stuff, it always seem to be enveloped in a snowstorm, so maybe that's why it all feels samey to me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I used a map and got 999 koroks but I must have marked one off by accident so now I have no way of getting the last one without going through my map and marking 999 koroks off one by one lol

Guess I’m done at 999

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

RCarr posted:

I used a map and got 999 koroks but I must have marked one off by accident so now I have no way of getting the last one without going through my map and marking 999 koroks off one by one lol

Guess I’m done at 999

Technically you'll be marking off 200 of them two by two. Does that make the task sound less daunting?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Doesn't it show where you found korok seeds on your map? You could compare that to a completed map.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Doesn't it show where you found korok seeds on your map? You could compare that to a completed map.

Yea that’s what I mean I’d have to compare and mark each one off. It’s nothing compared to finding all 1000 but I think I’ve had enough at this point. I’ll have to pass on the big golden poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RCarr posted:

Yea that’s what I mean I’d have to compare and mark each one off. It’s nothing compared to finding all 1000 but I think I’ve had enough at this point. I’ll have to pass on the big golden poo.

Eat more fibre if you want it to pass properly.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I bother to save the Ritu, Zorons, Gorons, and Gerudo and they're always like "I guess you helped too Link"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Link gets no respect despite saving the kingdoms and being the one person who spends money.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Now that I've done the Lightning Temple, I agree that it is the closest thing to a "proper" dungeon in ToTK, but it was also probably the easiest in the game.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Making your way through the initial chambers like you’re fuckin Indiana Jones was easily one of the coolest parts of the game

Actually, now that I think about it, the approach to the temple was cooler than the actual temple for all but maybe the Fire Temple

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 15, 2024

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Making your way through the initial chambers like you’re fuckin Indiana Jones was easily one of the coolest parts of the game

Actually, now that I think about it, the approach to the temple was cooler than the actual temple for all but maybe the Fire Temple

I really loved the ending of the Gerudo coordinates quest. Finding this old rear end tomb and walking through it with a torch was dope to the highest degree

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I might do that one next. "It's a sealquence."

I also discovered those two stone structures with ramps on them nearby Gerudo town that have a blocked room you can see from the outside that has a chest and the Zonai hand reader thing. I putzed around with them for a while but couldn't figure out a way in. I figure that might related but it's going to bug me for a while until I figure out a way in to get the treasure which is probably something lame like "Desert Hat" and "Desert Socks" that are 1 armor and give you Sand Proficiency.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

I might do that one next. "It's a sealquence."

I also discovered those two stone structures with ramps on them nearby Gerudo town that have a blocked room you can see from the outside that has a chest and the Zonai hand reader thing. I putzed around with them for a while but couldn't figure out a way in. I figure that might related but it's going to bug me for a while until I figure out a way in to get the treasure which is probably something lame like "Desert Hat" and "Desert Socks" that are 1 armor and give you Sand Proficiency.

I remember those, dont over-think it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
A collection of ground/depths parallels - not necessarily correct, definitely incomplete, trying to get thoughts in order

Town ----------------------------- Abandoned [Town] Mine (Always has a Schema Stone & Shop)
Peak/Summit ---------------- Canyon Mine
Stable ---------------------------- Lynel
Hot Spring --------------------- Lava Fall (Always(?) has a Treasure Chest in the center)
Calamity Memorial -------- Trio of Weapon Ghosts
Spring of [Whatever] ------ Wellspring of [Whatever]
Goddess Statue ------------- Bargainer Statue
Forest ---------------------------- Grove (has a Giant Stump with treasure chest w/ Zonai Charge)
(not sure here) Plain ------ Frox

Each Yiga base has them riding a different construct, and has a chest with an autobuild schematic to make it.

Puffshrooms ---------- blue/purple mushroom trees
Bomb Flowers -------- Yellow w/ trefoil branches
Muddlebuds ----------- grey giant ferns