Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Giant Skeleton -------------- Spooky Skeleton (possibly w/ hands)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Shrine -------- Lightroot

What? :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Coxswain Balls posted:

Giant Skeleton -------------- Spooky Skeleton (possibly w/ hands)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Technically I have the majority of the depths lit up at this point but there are still large chunks missing, and somehow I've contrived to only encounter a single depths-Lynel. Huh.

I'll probably fill out the map before beating the game, it's on the list to do, but now that my battery is maxed out there just doesn't seem like anything of much value is down there. OK, I guess some of the armor is kind of neat and I got a biggoron's sword, the original first Zelda sword, and the Wind Waker boomerang. I guess technically I don't use most of the crap I find on the surface either. In fact, nothing matters at all.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I beat the main story months ago but recently picked this back up as a way to relax after work. I've ended up filling out the depths map and getting all the shrines, all without doing any kind of spoilers. I only had a handful of lightroots missing and a half dozen shrines, but it was still pretty challenging finding them all.

I'm also shocked by how much STUFF is in this game. I put in over 150 hours but I'm still finding signs to support and tons of Koroks. I'm also getting any armors I missed along the way, like I had no idea there was a full set of climbing gear, I only had the chest piece and figured that was it talked about having grippy gloves for climbing.

I think the biggest thing I missed on my first playthrough was all the caves, pretty much every single one I'm finding now has a shrine or a piece of armor in it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I take it by Link's decision to do the banana quest rather than just murder the blademaster and go through his secret door that he actually prefers to be a Yiga. I guess it's fitting. Hylians are assholes. If Ganon offers me the choice of joining him like at the end of Dragon Quest I think I'll say yes. If you think about it, Ganon really did nothing wrong.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I take it by Link's decision to do the banana quest rather than just murder the blademaster and go through his secret door that he actually prefers to be a Yiga. I guess it's fitting. Hylians are assholes. If Ganon offers me the choice of joining him like at the end of Dragon Quest I think I'll say yes. If you think about it, Ganon really did nothing wrong.

link decided to steal 900 korok poops before saving zelda idk mans priorities

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Ganon? More like Qanon.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hylians SHOULD be replaced with Bokoblins. At least they know how to cook, and they're more industrious - mining Zonaite and whatnot. They're building pirate ships while aside from Hudson construction, Hylians struggle to put a roof on a wagon. Then again, Addison is so stupid he can't even prop up a sign. He'll just hold on to it until he starves to death so it doesn't fall over.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It's not much but it's honest work

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hylians SHOULD be replaced with Bokoblins. At least they know how to cook, and they're more industrious - mining Zonaite and whatnot. They're building pirate ships while aside from Hudson construction, Hylians struggle to put a roof on a wagon. Then again, Addison is so stupid he can't even prop up a sign. He'll just hold on to it until he starves to death so it doesn't fall over.

Addison was first on the sign so that you'd be first against the wall.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'm pretty close to end game now so I'm visiting sky islands I haven't been to yet. I discovered the King Gleeok. He was defeated relatively easily. It is pretty fun once you figure out how to take them out. It actually took me longer to figure out gloom hands. Just use a rocket shield and shoot down bomb arrows.

IMO Lynels are still a tougher enemy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Lynels aren't bad once you get some practice dodging. The ones with the big 2 handed clubs can be a real pain though.

Gleeoks I just cheese with homing arrows and 3x or 5x Lynel bows.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
Put some more time into my TotK 100% run for the first time in awhile; I was taking a break because I just got a Steam Deck and that's been gobbling up my gaming attention. I am constantly struck by how empty and repetitive the game world feels in comparison to BotW. The approach to Spectacle Rock I used in BotW that had several enemies of note (climbing up the square cliffs by the stable and following the path) has a mere two in TotK and then a much quicker physics puzzle than the one BotW had. After I flew off into the East Gerudo Archipelago and even the last island on the route was clearly someplace I'd been several times before, though it at least had a fun puzzle in getting a mirror moved around (that I could have shortcutted by just pulling one out, naturally).

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aj--PFRWkU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit: /\/\/\ Holy poo poo :eyepop:

This is actually a neat vehicle- self-stablizing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QgHaPFRv1w

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ravenson posted:

Put some more time into my TotK 100% run for the first time in awhile; I was taking a break because I just got a Steam Deck and that's been gobbling up my gaming attention. I am constantly struck by how empty and repetitive the game world feels in comparison to BotW. The approach to Spectacle Rock I used in BotW that had several enemies of note (climbing up the square cliffs by the stable and following the path) has a mere two in TotK and then a much quicker physics puzzle than the one BotW had. After I flew off into the East Gerudo Archipelago and even the last island on the route was clearly someplace I'd been several times before, though it at least had a fun puzzle in getting a mirror moved around (that I could have shortcutted by just pulling one out, naturally).

Now that I'm finishing up the depths and sky islands I agree. It's all pretty much the same with slight variations. There's one island - stargazer island I think? The giant orb above the hebra region. It had a unique mirror puzzle, but then the other ones are just green stone transportation gimmicks. The depths are just mines, areas where monsters are mining, some areas where you have the same boss fights over again, and then other minibosses like froxes, taluses, hinoxes, some lynels, etc.

The other thing that has annoyed me is it's really inconsistent when it comes to clues. In some instances a person or a sign will tell you "There is treasure in this cave." And then you get something like the Thundra Plateau where I couldn't find any hint at all. In BoTW Kass would have shown up and gave you a riddle. I just gave up. Then I read there's a hint in a seemingly unrelated part of the game.

I guess Zelda games have always had obtuse puzzles. Even in Link to the Past I couldn't figure out how to get that last magic bottle from the treasure chest the first time I played it. It wasn't until much later that I learned you have to take the chest to the blacksmith's house then warp back into the light world.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
:siren:Spoilers ITT! :siren:

But seriously I’m pretty sure I would say my favorite game of the franchise was LttP :shobon:

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Bit late to this game as I bounced off BotW hard. I'm gonna go ahead and say that this is the most technically impressive video game ever made, bar none. The size, the physics, the seemingly utter lack of bugs, the interactions between various things, it's mind boggling. And it's running on the switch.

The game has flaws sure, but purely from a technical perspective I'm confident in saying that it's utterly singular.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I don’t remember where I saw it, but I watched a video of someone who touches a lot more computers than me breaking down the various systems and processes that have to run simultaneously and flawlessly, and basically concluded that this game would be a deeply impressive feat on a PS5/Series X; the fact that they made it work on what was essentially an 8yo tablet is nothing short of a miracle

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Now that I'm finishing up the depths and sky islands I agree. It's all pretty much the same with slight variations. There's one island - stargazer island I think? The giant orb above the hebra region. It had a unique mirror puzzle, but then the other ones are just green stone transportation gimmicks. The depths are just mines, areas where monsters are mining, some areas where you have the same boss fights over again, and then other minibosses like froxes, taluses, hinoxes, some lynels, etc.

The other thing that has annoyed me is it's really inconsistent when it comes to clues. In some instances a person or a sign will tell you "There is treasure in this cave." And then you get something like the Thundra Plateau where I couldn't find any hint at all. In BoTW Kass would have shown up and gave you a riddle. I just gave up. Then I read there's a hint in a seemingly unrelated part of the game.

I guess Zelda games have always had obtuse puzzles. Even in Link to the Past I couldn't figure out how to get that last magic bottle from the treasure chest the first time I played it. It wasn't until much later that I learned you have to take the chest to the blacksmith's house then warp back into the light world.

The feeling you get when you first realize “wait they mirrored the ENTIRE loving WORLD down here are you kidding me” is amazing and maybe worth it just for that. But yeah there is a lot of empty space and copy paste encounters if you do decide to light up the whole place. I still found the depths cool and fun.

Sky islands were the weak spot for me. Visually cool, that’s kinda it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eightysixed posted:

:siren:Spoilers ITT! :siren:

But seriously I’m pretty sure I would say my favorite game of the franchise was LttP :shobon:

I played LttP when it came out way back when and I still fukkin' love it. Peak 2D LoZ to me. I was on and off the 3D Zeldas, and honestly just skipped out on many of them after playing a few hours. BoTW was the first Zelda game that 100% sucked me in since LttP and it is still one of my favorite games ever.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Docjowles posted:

The feeling you get when you first realize “wait they mirrored the ENTIRE loving WORLD down here are you kidding me” is amazing and maybe worth it just for that. But yeah there is a lot of empty space and copy paste encounters if you do decide to light up the whole place. I still found the depths cool and fun.

Sky islands were the weak spot for me. Visually cool, that’s kinda it.

I think the best part of the Depths is that they kept it a complete secret until the game came out lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I don’t remember where I saw it, but I watched a video of someone who touches a lot more computers than me breaking down the various systems and processes that have to run simultaneously and flawlessly, and basically concluded that this game would be a deeply impressive feat on a PS5/Series X; the fact that they made it work on what was essentially an 8yo tablet is nothing short of a miracle

Ultrahand functioning as well as it does is obviously amazing, but I still can't get over every physics object being tracked through time on the off chance that you want to smack it with Recall.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Like how the gently caress aren't there bugs? I genuinely don't think I've seen one in over 100 hours. And some of the physics stuff is just rock solid, I've never seen anything like it. And don't get me started on Ascend

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Y'all should check out their GDC talk. Sadly not available on Youtube, but it's in the GDC Vault. https://gdcvault.com/play/1034667/Tunes-of-the-Kingdom-Evolving

Even shows clips of the game physics glitching out like normal video games.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I haven't played much after a burst sometime after beating it, loving fantastic game in so many respects, but I thinka bout two things the most:
1) that infinite dupe glitch where a certain ability would let you do it extremely seamlessly, which i abused to have all the materials i could need to max out armors plus get all the zonai charges
2) Master Sword thing went nuts for me in particular:
I had gotten 2 of the memories, I think her landing in the past and then learning about how you can swallow the secret stone to become an immortal dragon. Absolutely nothing on how that could help the master sword or that zelda's light powers heal it. Cue like forty hours later or more I'm loving around the underground and i notice there's something kinda strange looking right where the Lost Forest would be on top (at this point i'm trying to find all the bulbs anyway and i'd like to get the lost forest area marked for when i clear out another wave of shrines)

"I'll do this for ten or twenty minutes then call it a night."

It's one of those stone super pillars you can ascend through. It's the first time I see one, so I'm already losing it that you can get up to the surface that way, and holy poo poo I'm in Lost Forest why is everyone so quiet and creepy? I hadn't actually tried walking in like normal yet, so I kinda wander in and oh gently caress there's the hands inside Great Deku Tree, he's in trouble, I've only ran away from these things so far, gently caress it we ball. After several attempts mostly learning when to use my bomb arrow a Phantom Ganondorf shows up, had no idea that was in the game. Panicking but I beat it on the second try and the Great Deku Tree tells me how thankful he is that I lifted the curse I didn't know was there. He starts talking about the Master Sword and goes "wtf it's, uh, over there somehow??" and marks it on my map. Holy poo poo let's loving go. I go to the nearest sky fast travel I got and try to go into one of those deathstars because it's teh closest thing to the point in the map, but then my wife notices that the dot's moved a decent bit. We realized it's the dragon. As I try to get on it we both get different thoughts, I think "the dragon for the east side of the map was the fire dragon..." and they think "the electric dragon didn't look like this..." we're both a little confused then I pick up scales and stuff and holy poo poo LIGHT dragon?? grab the master sword and

i don't have enough stamina, lmao. Its been well over an hour after those "ten minutes" but we're both too invested and thankfully I either had enough stuff unlocked that i could just swap hearts for stamina or i only needed like 2 more shrines done. Anyway I get through that and then I get the master sword and holy poo poo she turned herself into a dragon holy poo poo that explains everything and it's like 3 am.
loving love the game

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Master Sword sequence in this one was so, so, so much cooler than in BOTW. Or most games imo. I think only Wind Waker parallels it out of the games I’ve gotten that far in

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Is there another way to do it? That's exactly how I did it and I assumed that was the correct way. I tried every other way to get through the Lost Woods but couldn't.

And yeah I also liked that many of the bigger quests in the game were big enough to consume a whole evening.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

What game is the BGM from? I've heard it before, but can't quite place it. I swear it's an RPG town theme from, I want to say, Star Ocean III?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What game is the BGM from? I've heard it before, but can't quite place it. I swear it's an RPG town theme from, I want to say, Star Ocean III?

From the replies

quote:

"Lively Step" which is the trading town of Paterny music from Star Ocean: Til the End of Time (SO3).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

HampHamp posted:

Like how the gently caress aren't there bugs? I genuinely don't think I've seen one in over 100 hours. And some of the physics stuff is just rock solid, I've never seen anything like it. And don't get me started on Ascend

Yeah it’s really incredible technically and in terms of polish. It’s not a fair comparison because they are very different games on different platforms etc but look at Baldur’s Gate 3. I dearly love that game but my god they must have put out 50,000 lines of patch notes so far and there is STILL lots of obviously broken stuff. They are in an endless war against vendor exploits that people keep winning through such wild behaviors as “drag stuff into a different bag inside of your main backpack and you get it for free”. I would love to know what is going on in their bag code that makes fixing it utterly hopeless lol.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

just thinking about how making a bridge out of physics objects in this game and walking on it doesn't destroy you in a baffling, vaguely nauseating burst of all-too-familiar Physics Jank like you'd expect out of any other game in existence

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

just thinking about how making a bridge out of physics objects in this game and walking on it doesn't destroy you in a baffling, vaguely nauseating burst of all-too-familiar Physics Jank like you'd expect out of any other game in existence

People are going to study this game for years to even approach trying to replicate the physics, because there's poo poo in the game that should be flat impossible like wrapping a chain around a dynamically placed rotating wheel to raise a door

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I encountered two bugs in the game.

Early on, you could go to Impa to try out a hot air balloon for the first time and it would allow you to do it before you actually got the paraglider. I managed to do this and the only way down was to jump to your death. I have heard that this was patched shortly after.

Second, on Eventide Island, the final batch of monsters near the top of the island would keep insisting there were two left but I looked everywhere and could not find them. I had to reload the most recent save, which then allowed me to complete the quest. This same error happened as I watched my friend play through Eventide.

But that's all I can think of.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Looks fun but I don't know if I'd replaced my big gently caress-off four spring suspension onna rubber base with a double propeller.

Loving that people are finding so many different ways to play with the physics

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Isn't there some kind of glitch where you can use a zonai pot to ascend through the sky to the next platform? You gotta do something convoluted like hold it while standing in water up to your neck, drop it, and hit ascend at just the right time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just Andi Now posted:

Y'all should check out their GDC talk. Sadly not available on Youtube, but it's in the GDC Vault. https://gdcvault.com/play/1034667/Tunes-of-the-Kingdom-Evolving

Even shows clips of the game physics glitching out like normal video games.

"The trick was to control literally every moving object with our incredible physics engine, after we did that it worked perfectly."

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Man, BotW and TotK have spoiled me. As much as I had nitpicks about them, I poured hundreds of hours into both which is far more than I've put into any other games in a decade except Rocket League. After recently finally completing TotK I picked up Super Mario Odyssey and Skyward Sword HD for cheap from a friend to play through.

Mario Odyssey I found annoying because you're always fighting the camera. Same thing with Skyward Sword. I understand they had a find a way to make it work without motion controls, but still. I hate that they bound camera movement to holding L1 instead of allowing you to toggle holding L1 for sword controls. The control scheme and level of control that you actually have in BotW and TotK is just absolutely perfect and has definitely spoiled me.

Beyond that, Odyssey is just so drat simple (I know it's more geared toward kids than Zelda games) and Skyward Sword HD feels so restrictive and cumbersome. I did beat Skyward Sword back in 2011 but after playing for an hour I quickly realized I have no real desire to actually finish it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I understand the "spoiled by botw/totk" feeling but bruh Mario Odyssey loving owns