Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
From what I understand, Russia and India was doing direct currency trade and Russia got tons of rupees in India banks and couldn't buy anything with it because India doesn't export lot of of industrial products. The Russian oil exporters want yuan instead and the Indian government said no you can't use yuan you can use the rupees to buy our Indian bonds (which is a lol). Those all made previous round of news.

And then *something* happened and the Indian crude oil importers started paying in yuan. This news was reported as rumor not officially by any government/corperate press. That something was never made news so we don't know how and why the Indian government budged. We don't know where do Indian importers procure all the yuan either because they also have a trade deficit with China. Maybe they are secretly buying yuan with USD on the international market.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 14:23 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://twitter.com/GUnderground_TV/status/1682329881663635456?t=p9biyk4tjP7YmLe8NC8y6w&s=19

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Question, can the gold backed currency only use for global trade, like you don't use it domestically daily consumption, you don't use it for investment. But only for trade?

Or its impossible for the Brics countries that issue it to limit its used?

The USD index is wildly affected by the US interest rate, I don't know how you affect the gold backed index. Throwing national gold reserve into the global market is the only way I guess?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Introducing the Goon Energy Cube. Each Energoon equals 1 gigajoule of energy.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Oceans 11

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DiscountDildos posted:

Isn't Argentina a bit of a wild card if that ancap weirdo who only wants to trade with the "civilized nations" wins the upcoming election? I don't know how good his odds actually are but he could make things awkward.

Yeah Argentina is a wild card, but you can say that of all of latin america right wing parties. So you are kinda always working with half of SA countries closely and other half not so closely.

However Argentina is already borrowing RMB, they may choose to resist closer relationship in other ways. Like for example AR is talking about buying chinese fighter planes (2nd hand Pakistani JF17?), but US quickly got got one of the European countries go over to AR and offer them half clearance priced F16. It's funny the west rather use the F16 to cockblock China's MIC instead of giving the F16 to Ukraine.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Maybe just change the current thread title to reflect it. I think de-dollarization and BRICS future overlaps cover pretty similar geopolitic/finance news topics.

It's the same West vs Non-West power struggle.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

wait, this is confirmed!? seems huge. not heard poo poo about UAE wanting to join

This MBS guy is no joke.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I read an analysis that the big loser of this round of expansion is Indonesia because it's the biggest applicant country by population.

Its pretty amazing that all relevant ME join at the same time. Next time when they expand south/central Asia, they probably will get Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Kazakhstan to join at the same time so CIR will each get a buddy country to join.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I check the Opec+ list, they have 5 of the top 6 Opec+ oil producers in Brisc already, only Kuwait is missing.

It's pilossible they want to get all the opec+ countries in first, and announce some kind of new replacement mechanism to petrodollar in the next summit. They could just use petroyuan but I don't think Beijing want to use yuan to directly replace dollar.

Supposedly Indonesia was not in this year because they applied too late.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Does anyone remember one of the reasons Saddam got the full force of US fire power because he tried to switch from USD to Euro to sell oil? Poor guy just moved maybe 10 years too early. If he just hunker down in the 00s, he could be still alive and partying with MBS and Assad right now.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is way more yuan trade outside of Swift.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

captainbananas posted:

You're not wrong, but it is important to understand that the senior careerist leadership on both sides has been largely trained/conditioned to think about this sort of problem in game-theoretic terms.

What that means is that I am willing to bet there is still an expectation on the Russian side that when an armistice is eventually reached, whatever the other terms include the restoration of their FX accounts will be part of it.

The reason they would have this expectation is that, viewed in this particular framework, the US would be acting totally irrationally with respect to their own strategic objectives and benefit outside of this particular conflict to liquidate Russia's accounts. Just like you and others have noted, it would accelerate the dissolution of US "soft power" with barely any plausible short term benefit.

So of course Biden will do it.

I think thats the reason all the western companies (MacDonold, all car plants) selling their assets in Russia for 1 ruble have the condition of buying their plants back on the contracts. That's what the hook is. Russia leaves a legal way for these companies to get their assets back, as long as Russia can get their 300 bil foreign reserve back.

(Narrator voice) It's not happening.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think someone said that probably one of the best case scenarios for Europe is becoming an open-air museum and tourist trap for people from countries that actually have economies.

Turns out the Italians are the smartest guys in Europe.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can not wait to hear how much Russian money will US court award to all kinds of crazy war tourists/Robert Levinson cases.

Plus I heard some early Kinzhal strikes in Ukraine were against foreign military advisers buildings, so they don't even need to make up too much poo poo.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Oglethorpe posted:

nigeria about to be introduced to freedom and democracy through forced regime change

I was thinking GWOT or some borderland ethnic minority is going to take up arms.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I heard from an in-the-know Chinese podcast that Yellen was very upset about Chinese banks buying gold and it was a big topic in her visit to China.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
That's why the US unleashed 301 investigation to Chinese shipping, threatened sanction on Chinese banks that specialize in Russia/Iran (Kunlun bank etc), criticized China for "overproduction" and a couple more things I can't remember off the top my head, after Yellen's visit. Because China didn't agree on any of Yellen's demands. Edit, oh yeah performative "3x tariff on Chinese steel".

BTW Indian banks are buying massive gold too. India is a classic example of hedging, can always count on good old India to look out for their own interests, not some stupid US lackey like Japan and Australia.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:15 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

What podcast is this? I'd be interested in checking it out.

It's 观棋有语 on bilibili, but I don't remember they discussed Yellen in which recent episode.