Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Jerusalem posted:

"WWE isn't going anywhere," threatens Triple H to end the press conference.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Just heard what happened.

:lmao: Never change, Vince…and HHH.

I didn't even bother to check the results until now because I thought Cody winning was such a foregone conclusion I wasn't even thinking about it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Jerusalem posted:

"WWE isn't going anywhere," threatens Triple H to end the press conference.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Shoenin posted:

Wait has Roman ever beaten Seth in a PPV?

Rumble. This year.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

xbilkis posted:

To be fair, it is very Cody to go "No, winning at WrestleMania on my first try would be too pat...I need a grander journey"

But lmao at the company being on the same page

I absolutely can see Vince and HHH getting the con straight in their heads to convince Cody to lose at Mania and then he walks in and lays out his idea of how he should lose the first one and they're just thinking "well that's a freebie".

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I saw a tweet saying this felt like the ending of Infinity War.

But i think it's more like if they took the ending of Endgame and just as Iron Man is about to snap Thanos away, he looks at his hand and realizes he's holding a rubber chicken.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

iamsosmrt posted:

But i think it's more like if they took the ending of Endgame and just as Iron Man is about to snap Thanos away, he looks at his hand and realizes he's holding a rubber chicken.

This analogy only works if this is about the rise of a tyrant and their victory. Romans been on top for three years and a decade in total. It's more like maintaining the status quo here.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Imagine if Iron Sheik decided to take Verne Gagne up on that $10,000 offer and broke Hogan's leg in 1984.

That's what we just saw.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Imagine if Cody Rhodes left AEW only to lose to Roman Reigns at WM with an interference finish.

That's what we just saw.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Evil Badman posted:

Rumble. This year.

qua

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Very confident about this after watching hunter stumble through those answers - he booked Cody to win and Vince changed it, maybe even today.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mkay0 posted:

Very confident about this after watching hunter stumble through those answers - he booked Cody to win and Vince changed it, maybe even today.

if you come at the king,, you best not miss

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
WWE is just playing the long game by waiting for white hot babyface #5 to show up to dethrone Roman. Or just to have the Rock do a big favor for WWE by risking his body for a match.

I do feel for WWE at least a little bit in that if I'd finally built up someone to be at Cena's level and given him a historic title reign, I'd want that guy beaten by a 26 year old the crowd really loved in order to help establish my next new mega big star to carry the company. Meanwhile the crowd keeps getting behind guys with relatively few years left in their in-=ring careers by comparison, but that's also happening because those veterans have had years to really figure out this whole pro wrestling thing and built up a fanbase and good will from the fans over their long careers.

But it's only a little bit because they've made their own mess and they just keep making it.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

If I'm Jay White I'm not answering my phone tomorrow

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NowonSA posted:

But it's only a little bit because they've made their own mess and they just keep making it.

it's not a mess if they're still making a ton of money and making the exact show they want to make

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Badman posted:

Rumble. This year.

Roman beat KO at the Rumble this year

If you're talking about 2022, Seth won that match by DQ according to wikipedia

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

If there’s any comic-related comparison to make here, it’s Peanuts.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Draxion posted:

If I'm Jay White I'm not answering my phone tomorrow

Well yeah, there's a reason Uncle Howdy wasn't at the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IcePhoenix posted:

Roman beat KO at the Rumble this year

If you're talking about 2022, Seth won that match by DQ according to wikipedia

Have you ever seen KO and Seth Rollins in the same place at the same time? No, because they're the same person. If you said yes, that's because he was standing next to a mirror.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

NowonSA posted:

WWE is just playing the long game by waiting for white hot babyface #5 to show up to dethrone Roman. Or just to have the Rock do a big favor for WWE by risking his body for a match.

I do feel for WWE at least a little bit in that if I'd finally built up someone to be at Cena's level and given him a historic title reign, I'd want that guy beaten by a 26 year old the crowd really loved in order to help establish my next new mega big star to carry the company. Meanwhile the crowd keeps getting behind guys with relatively few years left in their in-=ring careers by comparison, but that's also happening because those veterans have had years to really figure out this whole pro wrestling thing and built up a fanbase and good will from the fans over their long careers.

And when they chose a 26 year old to stick all their eggs into they chose Austin Theory.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)
shane mcmahon immediately blowing out his knee quad distracted everyone from the fact that they brought shane back after his absolutely disastrous involvement in the 2022 rumble

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

it's not a mess if they're still making a ton of money and making the exact show they want to make

That's the problem. I won't lie, if I was as entrenched as WWE I would be daring my audience to tune out too.
The key as always is spend the time you would otherwise spend watching WWE praying for their demise doing pretty much anything else.

But I get it. As somebody who was a fan of WWE for the first 30+ years of my life I know what it's like to not be able to completely stop caring.
So try this.
Just be happy for Cody and his shitload of money.
After all, isn't that all that really matters?
Really?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 3, 2023

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Lid posted:

And when they chose a 26 year old to stick all their eggs into they chose Austin Theory.

I feel like Austin Theory has a high ceiling, honestly. Yeah, his match on Saturday with Cena wasn't the best, but he's still relatively young. There's potential, at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dr.Smasher posted:

I feel like Austin Theory has a high ceiling, honestly. Yeah, his match on Saturday with Cena wasn't the best, but he's still relatively young. There's potential, at least.

'Ceiling' in WWE is something that combines with you and your floor to make a you-flavored sandwich.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lid posted:

I thought he gave the egg back.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Shoenin posted:

Wait has Roman ever beaten Seth in a PPV?

MSG House show aside... Roman's last 1-on-1 loss to Seth was WWE Monday Night Raw on May 29th 2017, then MITB 2016, then Night of Champions 2014.

Royal Rumble 2022 ended in a DQ with Seth technically winning.

So no, I don't think Roman has even beat Seth 1-on-1 on a PPV

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

sportsgenius86 posted:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Jesus Christ, I love you.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i fell asleep during belair/asuka how big did the crowd pop for cody's win

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
wwe fan schism between people who thought cody should've won vs people who think "actually, you're a child if you wanted cody to win"

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006

stab posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SHANE THATS WHAT YOU GET YOU gently caress

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ADRENALINE
IN MY SOUL
I CAN'T BELIEVE
THEY BOOKED THAT SHOW

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
The best storyline of all time continues awoooo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Oh god it's 2023. Also Holy poo poo I forgot it was dq. Oh well.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I subbed for the first time in 5 years to see WM. I really enjoyed the Logan Paul match except for Seth Rollins and pretty much every other night 1 thing. I am glad I did not stay up for night 2. I cancel the sub now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

TV Zombie posted:

Only in the 3rd inning!?

Baseball is a 9 inning sports game

https://twitter.com/JoelPearl/status/1642738491044896770?s=20

Major League Baseball radically changed their rules for the 2023 season, to speed up the game and to make it less analytically predictable.

Not the best analogy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Double header games are now 7 innings in length as well.

There's also the mercy rule in Little League but that's a four letter word in WWE.