Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

It's a new movie based on D&D that is also good. It stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Hugh Grant. Most of the D&D stuff is more fun references for people who know it, people who know nothing can still watch this movie fine and enjoy it. It has a bit of a Guardians of the Galaxy feel, which I feel matches how D&D goes really well.

With this I feel I have put in the minimum effort for an op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think the reason this is so good is that not only do they avoid overexplaining D&D to the audience, the directors also said they know when to not be so strict with rules. For example, neither Doric (the druid) not Ed (the bard) cast spells despite their classes being able to do so, and a druid also can only shapeshift twice a day (they also cannot become owlbears but Wizards of The Coast made this official; you can even do it in Baldurs Gate 3 when it releases).

So the movie is accessible and favors fun and coolness over authenticity. Just like a good DM.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
movie fun

people gonna complain the stakes are too high but whatever, just make more franchise poo poo and do slice of life stuff there

and then we can get a civil war between people who think the Andor of DND is best and the rest are apostates

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

movie fun

people gonna complain the stakes are too high but whatever, just make more franchise poo poo and do slice of life stuff there

and then we can get a civil war between people who think the Andor of DND is best and the rest are apostates

Eh, preventing an evil death cult (yes, there are non-evil death cults in DnD) from unleashing a murder plague is standard fare. You don't get the really high stakes until planar travel gets involved.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Even though I play DnD I had no real desire to watch the movie. Until I saw the high reviews.

Movies fantastic. Enjoyable story and characters. Story meanders a bit like all good DnD campaigns and some real funny moments.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I saw this last night with rock bottom expectations and was really pleasantly surprised. What a fun and inventive movie! So glad this wasn't another insecure Marvel clone but had confidence in its setting and characters. I also thought it did a good job of handling both practical effects and CGI; the wildshape chase sequence was a highlight.

I don't think it needs a sequel, but I'll be pleased if it does well enough at the box office to get more movies like these made.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 2, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Saw this yesterday and thought it was a blast. I totally lost it at when he distracts the guards and his face turns goofy because the wizards foot got stuf could not stop laughing.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I would give this move an 11/10 if the end credits scene had the casts' stunt doubles all at their table having just finished their latest campaign.

Without it, it's "just" a 9/10 movie with amazing cinematography, perfectly cast characters and some genuinely funny gags

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I thought that the shots of the halfling didn't work very well. It looked much more "fake" to me than LotR did, using presumably the same camera tricks. That said, the fact that both he and Holga clearly have a type was hilarious.

Overall, the movie was super enjoyable and was much much better than what I was expecting. My theater was packed, too, so hopefully this does well enough to earn a sequel.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

There is already a spin off tv show in the works.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i am very, very grateful we did not get any shots of people playing the game in real life. death to framing devices and "meta" jokes.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Eh, preventing an evil death cult (yes, there are non-evil death cults in DnD) from unleashing a murder plague is standard fare. You don't get the really high stakes until planar travel gets involved.

What made it work for me is that it didn't devolve into a faceless CGI mob, as the plan actually failed and nobody was actually transformed. We instead got to focus more specific characters and their skills, which was absolutely the right move.

This film had the most inventive use of magic and spells I've seen in a long time.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Positively surprised by the movie, but the main plot had some pretty bad (lazy?) plot holes. The whole “getting people out of the coliseum” resolution was awful, people would just leave when seeing that red mist lmao no need for the heroes to do anything. Why weren't the doors barred or something? That felt a lot like the writers running out of any ideas on how to solve the conflict. They also should've made the portal gun scepter the item they had to go on a mini-quest to acquire, the helmet was barely used and the scepter was much more integral to the plot. It being a 'walking stick' conveniently retrieved was lazy.

Enjoyed the cast and most of the jokes, I also think they did a good job in translating D&D rules/mechanics to the big screen. Having the druid only Wild Shape and the Bard not casting spells is far better than the alternative.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 2, 2023

Espacio
Mar 25, 2006
Dieses ist der schlechteste verrat!
Pure stupid fun. Smiling the whole time, go see this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly Themberchaud is sad that he lives underground

quote:

And now I am far too large to ever leave. Even if I tore the entire place down around me, I could not claw my way to the surface from here. Instead, I remain buried in a prison of my parents' making, far beneath a sky I've never seen.

— Themberchaud's lament

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Miss Mowcher posted:

Positively surprised by the movie, but the main plot had some pretty bad (lazy?) plot holes. The whole “getting people out of the coliseum” resolution was awful, people would just leave when seeing that red mist lmao no need for the heroes to do anything. Why weren't the doors barred or something? That felt a lot like the writers running out of any ideas on how to solve the conflict. They also should've made the portal gun scepter the item they had to go on a mini-quest to acquire, the helmet was barely used and the scepter was much more integral to the plot. It being a 'walking stick' conveniently retrieved was lazy.

some of that stuff works much better when you think about the implied meta-context of people playing those characters and the sort of campaign this is - i.e. the staff is introduced as a fail-forward solution after one of the characters fucks up the puzzle the DM spent a week working on in the middle of the DMPC’s explanation of its mechanics, and then the players start repeatedly using it to get around a bunch of problems (including the one the original plot device artifact was designed to solve) while the original plot device artifact stays relevant through Simon’s character arc

the balloon does feel more plot hole-y, but it’s a fun/whimsical solution that plays well if you’re just along for the ride and also works meta-textually as “the players continue to use the unintended side artifact as an omni-tool and disrupt the Giant Sky Beam set piece fight with the Big Bad, so the GM rolls with it and changes the scenery of the climatic fight”

obviously an inferred ‘dysfunctional tabletop meta layer’ shouldn’t actually be used to excuse much, but the derailed shaggy dog sidequests and ‘improvised seat of your pants solutions that probably shouldn’t work’ bits were where it felt most D&D-with-your-buds to me

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Miss Mowcher posted:

They also should've made the portal gun scepter the item they had to go on a mini-quest to acquire, the helmet was barely used and the scepter was much more integral to the plot. It being a 'walking stick' conveniently retrieved was lazy.

I feel like my real life D&D group has half a dozen random items that may or may not have random magical properties that were dolled out at the end of sessions that we’ve completely forgotten about so that rings true to me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

balloon probably works better if they gave it more time to realistically get the word out to the people but they also need urgency so who is to say who is right or wrong here

I did notice there was a distinct lack of megaphones like how is hugh grant projecting his voice to everyone in the arena

yes yes a wizard did it but they bothered to explain the walkie talkie thing

just have a magical megaphone

GigaPeon posted:

I feel like my real life D&D group has half a dozen random items that may or may not have random magical properties that were dolled out at the end of sessions that we’ve completely forgotten about so that rings true to me.

yeah Im gonna have to completely disagree with OP and agree with you on the stick thing

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm excited that people are finally seeing and enjoying this film. I worked on the team that managed the international localization/subtitling for the film, so I got to see it back in January.

Some fun facts about the film:
The Australian version, despite being an English version is considered a "dub" because they had some Australian comedians have a cameo by dubbing the lines for a few of the graveyard corpses.
The French and the Japanese versions each have different end credit songs.
Across all languages, subtitled or dubbed, across all audio mixes, there are roughly 180 versions of the film.

The graveyard scene still makes me giggle, despite having seen it numerous times.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I'm excited that people are finally seeing and enjoying this film. I worked on the team that managed the international localization/subtitling for the film, so I got to see it back in January.

Some fun facts about the film:
The Australian version, despite being an English version is considered a "dub" because they had some Australian comedians have a cameo by dubbing the lines for a few of the graveyard corpses.
The French and the Japanese versions each have different end credit songs.
Across all languages, subtitled or dubbed, across all audio mixes, there are roughly 180 versions of the film.

The graveyard scene still makes me giggle, despite having seen it numerous times.
questions

1) why does Thailand of all places get this wild exclusive?

2) can you get me one?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Alan Smithee posted:

questions

1) why does Thailand of all places get this wild exclusive?

2) can you get me one?

Is that a souvenir cup with dice roller???

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

I thought that the shots of the halfling didn't work very well. It looked much more "fake" to me than LotR did, using presumably the same camera tricks. That said, the fact that both he and Holga clearly have a type was hilarious.

Overall, the movie was super enjoyable and was much much better than what I was expecting. My theater was packed, too, so hopefully this does well enough to earn a sequel.

yeah I'm kinda not looking forward to that for future stuff. Maybe because I was expecting the off brand hobbits but they probably don't wanna get sued

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

Is that a souvenir cup with dice roller???

and again Thailand theaters only :shepspends:

my two contacts said they would look and then haven't responded in a week :negative:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Were the two rich guys supposed to be Mario and Luigi references or did I miss something?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

n ot that I'm aware? They were from Baldur's Gate and I def don't recognize them from the games

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Yeah, definitely a pleasant surprise, for both me (who knows D&D only through nerd cultural osmosis/what the Magic sets taught me) and my wife (who went in with even less than that). Was not expecting Hugh Grant to be a major character.

I'll be curious to see how they handle the future of this IP. There's stuff being made but as far I can tell, it's a little up in the air as to whether we'll keep following this group or what. Obviously using characters we know has its advantages, but I think one of the biggest strengths of using an IP like D&D is that there are very few characters fans "need" to see to make it a D&D movie. Coming out of this one, I'd expect Rege-Jean Page's paladin to be a recurring character and not really anyone else.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah I thought he was gonna be a full fledged party member but him being the sort of 007 Q but for DND guy pointing them in the right direction as opposed to being a goody goody main for the whole movie

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Xenk seems made for showing up in future stuff.

Original heroes work well in D&D, mainly cause it’s the villains, monsters, and locations that are the iconic stuff.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The box office is above the studio's hopes/estimates so far, apparently.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

are there still major intl markets left to open?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh cool. A look at the practical effects.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnFDaley/status/1642622261332004864
https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnFDaley/status/1642561067472629761
https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnFDaley/status/1642328994325331972
https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnFDaley/status/1641997958504910851

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's been a while since I've seen Hugh Grant in anything, especially playing a role like this, but he really seemed to be channelling Boris Johnson with, which really worked for the character.

I'm a little ambivalent on the "this is someone's campaign" take. I can see it, but I think that would be a weaker movie. We've seen that take on tabletop games plenty anyway. The walking stick really worked for Simon, because it was an example of, yes, he is actually competent in some regards and he needed a win after the bridge goof.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

at least it's not a gimmick campaign

"oh they were all members of the spice girls and they are fighting MTV"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

n ot that I'm aware? They were from Baldur's Gate and I def don't recognize them from the games

If I remember right, the first two BG games took place centuries before the setting of this movie as the movie has dragonborn being part of normal society (they came to Faerun from an alternate universe some time after the setting of BG). We might see them in BG3, who knows.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Was Chris Pine's lute reinforced?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurubin posted:

Was Chris Pine's lute reinforced?

According to his statblock yes.

quote:

Reinforced Lute. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) bludgeoning damage plus 11 (2d10) thunder damage.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

It's been a while since I've seen Hugh Grant in anything, especially playing a role like this, but he really seemed to be channelling Boris Johnson with, which really worked for the character.

You should watch Paddington 2. (And Paddington 1.)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Boxman posted:

Yeah, definitely a pleasant surprise, for both me (who knows D&D only through nerd cultural osmosis/what the Magic sets taught me) and my wife (who went in with even less than that). Was not expecting Hugh Grant to be a major character.

I'll be curious to see how they handle the future of this IP. There's stuff being made but as far I can tell, it's a little up in the air as to whether we'll keep following this group or what. Obviously using characters we know has its advantages, but I think one of the biggest strengths of using an IP like D&D is that there are very few characters fans "need" to see to make it a D&D movie. Coming out of this one, I'd expect Rege-Jean Page's paladin to be a recurring character and not really anyone else.

Xenk was hilarious. Rege-Jean Page played him as the main character of a dark action fantasy who somehow wandered into the hijinks of the weirder side of Faerun and it shows.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Xenk was hilarious. Rege-Jean Page played him as the main character of a dark action fantasy who somehow wandered into the hijinks of the weirder side of Faerun and it shows.

If we're metagaming it, he felt like the DM PC. Massively overpowered cool dude who shows up to to save the party and then robotically walks away. Is he going to go left? Right? Nope. Right over the rock.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GigaPeon posted:

If we're metagaming it, he felt like the DM PC. Massively overpowered cool dude who shows up to to save the party and then robotically walks away. Is he going to go left? Right? Nope. Right over the rock.

As someone whose familiarity with Dungeons & Dragons is primarily through stuff like Critical Role and Dimension 20, I had him pegged as a one-off guest star like Wil Wheaton or Khary Payton.