Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Something I thought of about this whole Cody business.

It's all about Cody. All the talk, all the feeling, all the interest is about Cody. And what it means for Cody going forward etc.

Nobody gives half a poo poo about Roman. Yet he's the champion. He's the one who is getting pushed. He is the one who is supposed to carry the company. Etc. But nobody cares. Nobody has anything to say about it.

Not even in a "BOO! We wanted to cheer Cody winning, and you took that away from us. BOO!" kind of way. It is just a shrug. Even in the depths of the LOLCenawins era, it was still all about Cena, and him and his story etc. People cared about Cena. But at Wrestlemania, nobody cares, or even noticed that Roman won, they care that Cody lost.

Which is not good news for thw supposed face of the company, when your champion is so uncharismatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

On Roman, do we know who his next feud will be with? Coz Cody is done, and will be getting beaten up by Brock for the next month or two. So who is "big" or important enough to challenge Roman?

On the same thought, what are they going to do wrt Bloodline stories? Usos vs KO/Sami will be something for a little while. But apart from that they have gently caress all. And even if they try, all the entertaining stuff was Sami, so will it just be interminable long segments of joyless Roman saying "Grr argh I am the Tribal Chief"?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

That time when they did manage to get movie star Dwayne Johnson back in a wrestling ring to stand next to Roman Reigns and raise his hand in triumph, it got The Rock booed.

I doubt it's the main reason Rock is not coming back, but it could be part of it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dusty "The American Dream" Rhodes represented all of those things and more

This is going to sound really disrespectful. But I never knew about all of Dusty's NWA etc. legacy and the legend that he was when I was first a wrestling fan and saw him.

To me, he was the fat charismatic guy in polka dots who elbowed people on the head. And sadly I don't think I am alone in that,

Of course, I did eventually learn about his legacy and importance to the industry, but a younger wrestling fan not knowing that much about Dusty is not unsurprising.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A question:

Do you think Christian will make it into the WWE Hall of fame?

Coz I think E&C will easily make it in. Edge also is a clear Hall of Fame candidate, (WWE at least).

But Even though he won the title in WWE a couple of times, (I think?), I dunno if they would give him the hall of fame.

Which is a pity, as I always liked him more than edge. He got the funnier lines, was never appreciated, "Now you're on your own" theme song rules, and his feud with Randy over the belt was very very fun.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Imma suggest NOAH are more notable than TNA

Did any midgets masturbate in rubbish bins in NOAH?

Checkmate Athetits.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

We joke about Punk going on an apology tour, but damned if he didn't actually make amends with the Miz, and would have done the same with Paul Triple H if Daddy Mustache hadn't said no

Forgive my ignorance.

But why did Punk have beef with Miz?

Was it over some bullshit "Miz can't wrestle" thing Punk said somewhere? Coz surely Miz has heard worse about himself from people who would have meant it more at some stage. Also he doesn't seem the kind to get offended or hold grudges.

Or did Miz run his mouth about being better than Punk coz he won a Wrestlemanis Main Event, and Punk got rightfully offended? But Miz again doesnt seem the kind to do something that stupid and provably wrong.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

MotU posted:

shane thorne should have hunted Baron Corbin and locked him in a cage and also Baron Corbin should have been behind the 9/11 attacks

Sad sack Corbin, or Happy Corbin?

This is important.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Answers Me posted:

Yeah that’s definitely how drafts work in other sports too: when nobody picks you, you get to choose who you want to play for

They actually did do a fun thing with the "nobody drafted a wrestler" idea with Heath Slater, (and eventually Rhyno), that got both men over, and invigorated both men's careers. I enjoyed it a lot. Untill they fired both men for ... reasons.

P.S. How could you not love a man as adorable as Heath Slater?

pictured: evidence of adorability.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I am still sad that they never made the "Southpaw" wrestling series 3 that they teased with this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63WvaM7E0u4

And as a thought experiment, I sometimes like to think what Southpaw would have been like with Vince's involvement.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Vince might be the most evil person on this earth who does not hold some manner of office or title.

Agreeing with this.

Because every time I want to laugh at his antics, and the insanity he causes. I remember that he is not just an out of touch billionaire racist sexist homophobe that made his money through destroying others livelihoods, exploiting his workers and has done deals with the house of Saud, (among other things). He is all of those things, and an honest to god legitimate rapist. That has more money than any honest human will ever see.

So it's not so funny anymore.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

Cody should turn heel, turn purple, and be that big purple man from marvels endgame

Nah. Cody'd best Superhero thing was when he came out dressed as Mr. Sinister.

The only way he could beat that in my eyes if he came out as Kraven the Hunter. (But Ethan Page already has that down.)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

zetamind2000 posted:

They're not wrong, carnage was always campy
I agree.
"edgy" and/or "grimdark" is just campy, but for kids wearing too much eyeliner.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Forgive me, because I don't watch the show.

But what is the storyline reason for the Cody vs Brock feud? I mean why is Brock angry at Cody and want to fight him?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

There's an NXT show tonight they want you skipping Double Or Nothing for, same time

What I am getting out of that is:

Noam Dar still exists? And is gainfully employed by WWE?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A serious question.

Was it ever confirmed/denied that Bo Dallas was Uncle Howdy? And if he was/is, does he still work for WWE doing nothing whilst his brother is injured?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I did some research to see why Hollywood Hank was bad and it turns out they have a third brother! Who sucks!

Yeah.

Hollywood Hunk is cool and good and handsome and I will not hear a bad word about him.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

LMAO CORBIN JUST SHOWED UP ON NXT.

he attacked the champ after his match and laid him out

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1663729723283734528?s=20
I cannot approve of this is any way.

For this is neither Happy Corbin, nor Sadsack Corbin. And Corbin is at his best when his very name tells me how he is feeling.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Is Doudrop still employed by WWE? Is she heel or face nowadays?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Drakkel posted:

No he's just a random 10 year old that's good at football and makes tiktoks

A 10 year old is not a baby!

Thus making anyone who refers to "baby gronk" a filthy liar!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/CrispyWrestle/status/1668413689022631936?t=yB5rI9P4xZNj_3XSskLxWA&s=19

The most online internet lovers of reddit and Twitter are in shambles

Nether of these guys are cool, charismatic, or fun to watch.

Yet both of them carry themselves like they are.

Which makes them that much lamer.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Going back to Maximum Male Models.

Arent they just a blatant rip off of Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky doing thr "handsome well dressedmuscly men" thing in AEW?

The difference being Ethan Page is handsome anf charismatic, and Scorpio Sky can wrestle well. As opposed to Mace and Mansoor who are no e ofthose things.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Handsome well dressed muscly men is hardly a gimmick created by AEW, come on.

I know. I just thought, (mistakenly), that because of the closeness in proximity of the two gimmicks they were related.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

Was Karrion Kross NXT champ when he got a stupid helmet+mask combo put on his head and beat by Jeff Hardy in 2 minutes?

Did we ever get an explanation about that stupid helmet/mask thing?

Who thought it was a good idea? Why?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Roman Reigns, though he may be big and handsome and muscley and have long hair, the requirements for a WWE Superstar.

He is not charismatic. He does not command my attention.

Everything that was/is good about the Bloodline storyline, or skits has been everything that was/is not him.

That is what you are watching, what you are enjoying, what you care about. Not the tall long haired handsome man scowling in the corner.

Yet he is the one pushed and protected.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The thing about "making Roman look good." is:

When he inevitably wins, the discourse isn't "Wow! Roman won! Look at how good and powerful and cool and good and handsome he is."
it's
"Yawn. Roman won. Again." or sometimes "Look at how badly WWE is treating {opponent}"

Which neither elevates the opponent, nor makes Roman look good.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Whenever I try to imagine what WWE would do with the beautiful sweet boy that is Kota Ibushi, I weep.

1) He's foreign.
2) Doesn't speak English
3) He does flips.
4)He doesn't take direction from above well.
and most importantly
5) He got himself over somewhere else.

Vince would hate him, and he would be dancing in a skit about Ching Chong Chinamen before losing to ... I dunno the "woke" guy from NXT in his second, (and final) match.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

She works for the company where wrestling doesn't matter and she can always be near the belt, if she were Kevin Nash people would be calling her a genius.

Bad example. Kevin Nash is entertaining. Kevin Nash is charismatic. Kevin Nash is self-aware.

Charlotte is none of these things.

Also, has her character changed/evolved/been tweaked from "haughty princess who thinks she is better than everyone else because of her pedigree, and can back it up in the ring"? As far as I know there has been absolutely no growth or change in that area.

And this is a personal preference, so is extremely subjective. But her promos suck arse, and are the opposite of compelling or interesting. At least the few I have seen. Once again, personal preference, and I haven't seen many Charlotte promos/interviews.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Edit: Actually I should just leave it at people should go back and watch the match. Charlotte hosed up during it but the perception of her colors a lot of what people think happened and when I rewatch I see her trying to protect Kairi while struggling with continuing the match and not someone taking liberties. I put way more of the blame on WWE and their insistence on not deviating and not having the refs help call things over Charlotte giving her some of the softest chair shots and a slap with the tips of her fingers. The powerbomb was dumb but even then they pulled it off safe and I'm sure they would have gotten hell backstage for missing a spot.

OK. Yes, WWE is a toxic bastard of a place to work, and a place that makes bastards. You will get no argument about that.

And maybe, (just maybe), what Charlotte did by manhandling a concussed woman and getting her poo poo in because she felt she had to to the point the other people in the match felt it necessary to protect her from Charlotte wasn't "that" bad.

But it was bad. and it was Charlotte, a grown woman and industry professional/veteran that did it. Whilst others, worse people who also work in the same toxic environment, have been in similar situations and not done things as bad. Lets not forget her non-apology afterwards, nor her lack of care or professional courtesy.

So perhaps we are judging Charlotte more harshly because she is generally disliked, and she did what she did to someone who is universally loved.

WWE can be a bad place, and Charlotte can be a horrible entitled fuckwit of a person. The two things can and indeed do coexist.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Drakkel posted:

The Bullet Club shirt is the only wrestling shirt I've ever seen someone wearing in a public place that wasn't a wrestling event, I can't imagine going out in one of those "God On Another level Mode" shirts to a farmer's market or to the bank or whatever.

Because my friends and family know what a loser I am, I have been gifted multiple wrestling T Shirts. (My brother once got me a Rowdy Roddy Piper T Shirt for my birthday, and a mate of mine got me an Iron Sheik shirt.)

I wear both in public, and to this day nobody seems to care, or notice.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Unless you're the one guy I saw on the bus earlier this year in head to toe John Cena gear, nobody really notices or cares what's on your shirt

If he was wearing full John Cena kit, how did you see him?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Cody and Brock should do a MJF/Adam Cole style bromance angle.

Unrelatedly: HHH is poopy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

delfin posted:

Vince will have armed guards at his bedside at all times to prevent movie agents from even looking at him.

Not needed. Roman may be tall, dark, muscly and handsome. But he sure as gently caress is not charismatic. Nor is he likable.

Any film you put him in, his co-star will outshine him, even if that co-star is Clint Howard.

There is zero chance of Roman running away to Hollywood. I could see a producer trying it out, (given he is a tall handsome muscly man), but he can't carry a movie on that alone, and as the Goodfella skits show, he can't act.

Edit: Completely unrelated.

I have been watching the UUDD thingo, and am astounded at how cool, fun, charming, likable, and entertaining Baron Corbin is. He is having fun with his friends, who clearly like him and enjoy his company. And it is fun and entertaining to watch.

Why can't he do anything resembling that when he is on WWE TV?

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 8, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Hirez posted:

Broke rear end Baron was his only good run, the rest was absolute poo poo, and there was a LOT of it.

That's what is baffling to me.

A man who I have only seen be poo poo and boring and not entertaining at all, (Sad Corbin notwithstanding), when still doing a WWE thing with WWE people suddenly becomes vibrant and energized and charming and entertaining.

It makes no sense, coz it can't all be bad booking can it? And if it is, am I wrong about Roman Reigns? Is there a fun entertaining performer in there somewhere just being smothered by his WWE push?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Going back to Wrestlers as Hollywood stars/Actors.

Any half successful wrestler should have a walk up head start in becoming an actor. Because:

They are experienced performers, with experience performing under lights on the big stage, or face to face in a bingo hall somewhere in Gary Indiana.
They are experienced in the mindset of "the show must go on", where they are prepared to adapt live and on the fly to setbacks, and will continue to get to the stated end goal as smoothly as possible.
If they are anywhere near successful they should be charismatic enough that people in the back row want to watch them, and personable/engaging enough that they can interact with people in the front row.
If they spent time in WWE, they have learned how to memorize scripts. And memorize them quickly. Because they were often given them 2 minutes before curtains up.

And 2 things that are very important for comedy actors:
They are used to and have no problem with losing/looking the fool to someone they know is in real life a lesser performer.
And they have impeccable physical timing. Knowing when, and how much to react.

I was tellpng my friends this when they were surprised at how funny and entertaining Cena was in Suicide Squad/Peacemaker. The man is a natural comedian.

And more wrestlers, if given the chance, would be too.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A question from someone who hasn't seen the show properly in a long time:

Is Solo Sikoa any good? I know he was fine as the silent badass standing in the back whilst Sami did all his entertaining poo poo in The Bloodline.

But how is he on his own? Can he wrestle? Can he promo? What is his character? Is he in any way entertaining?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

I love that he's remained related to Dixie Carter and probably will for the rest of his career. Like how Eddie is Dom's real dad, or that Edge and Christian are actually brothers.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It is really funny that they're actively trying to kill LA Knight now. Jobbing him out to Theory and getting him into a feud with the Miz.

The thing is, for WWE it is counter productive for them to get anyone over. Unless the plan is for them to beat Roman for the title.

Because if someone gets over, then the fans will want them to beat Roman for the title, and only be sad/angry when they don't. Which we all know they wont.

So until they decide who that is, (a returning Rock after his pitch for The Tooth Fairy vs Black Adam doesn't get off the ground and he loses all his money trying to self finance it), they will be stuck with a giant medocre mid card filled with people getting their heads pushed down if they dare to try and stand out.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Benefit 1) Gets Tozawa back on TV.
Benefit 2) Not likely to lead to a feud or storyline, so keeps Miz time on TV to a minimum.

Glass half full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

At the risk of making a very tasteless reference: Bray was "well liked backstage".

Which makes the pisspoor tribute worse. A man who was loved by his friends and co-workers, is considered to be worth very little by his millionaire bosses.