Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Earwicker posted:

when i see a 2023 reg date i tend to just assume that an old goon made a new account for some reason. its hard to imagine why anyone new would pay $10 to join a web forum

anecdotally, i joined in 2022 because i was trying to track down an old let’s play that has been lost to time, and stayed because the forums fascinate me. also, it’s cool seeing threads from before i was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How is a let's play just lost?

It wasn't on SomethingAwful- tl;dr old let's play series of Link to the Past that I remembered watching on YouTube back in like 2013. Tried to track it down in 2022, which was pretty much just days of scrolling through search results for videos, playlists, anything from around that time at work. IIRC someone else had done a let's play of it around the same time and linked to another YouTuber, citing them as the inspiration for it, but that person's page was completely scrubbed of videos by then. Swore I recognized their username though. Their only other online presence was SomethingAwful and after thinking, "aha! A lead!" and clicking on their profile, I was confounded. "What do you mean i have to pay $10 just to see this guy's profile? ...gently caress it, it's in the name of research i guess.... wait, i need to pay more just to message them??" So I pretty much originally joined out of spite with the mindset of 'if I paid $15 just to message someone on an internet forum, I might as well make it worth it, see what discussions are going on.

Turned out not to be them and I have come to the conclusion that it's lost media at this point. Someone made a TOMT thread about a missing LOTP let's play but that was a dead end as well.

But yeah no, I've since come to really appreciate the forums; it's a breath of fresh air after growing up watching every other space I knew on the internet be capitalized upon and essentially sterilized by algorithms. That feels kinda preachy, though. As someone who's interested in internet culture in general, it's also just very fun to see where things started.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know how you get people to look at the forums besides advertising or maybe paying more youtubers to spotlight weird poo poo that's happened here.

I know Whang! has done a couple videos where he talks about weird SomethingAwful poo poo. I think it’d be cool to see more videos about stuff that’s happened here, from both an advertising and internet-historical standpoint.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Dante posted:

This is equally as cool as when teenage boys decide they like old-timey hats and wear fedoras in public. Delete your account and hang out on tik-tok like a normal kid instead of loitering around the online equivalent of an old folks home.