Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

a dingus posted:

It's gotta be hard for a new member to figure out forum culture and find a place where they fit in. The culture can be really different between subforums which isnt something you see in other places. In fact I rarely look outside my few favorite subforums because posters in other subforums can be absolute morons and/or mentally unstable. There have been times I've almost written off the forums and satellite communities because of this. In a way SA is like the Internet equivalent of a group of close friends who grew up together... it's hard to break into that group.

Yeah, i’m new to SA. Lurked for a bit, then decided to buy an account. So far i’m loving the fact that it’s less stressful and convoluted than the rest of the interwebs. Takes me back to a simpler time. On the other hand, i’m still figuring out some of the ins and outs, and still feel quite lost at times. There are so many different injokes, and each forum has a different culture, that it feels quite daunting to participate at times. It just feels less like i’m scrolling out of habit, and am actualy actively looking for stuff i’d like to read and participate in. Best advice i’ve had so far is to :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

I think, given the state of the Internet as it is today, there still is a place for SA in the foreseeable future. More and more people are looking for places that aren't like traditional social media, and I expect more people to start looking for a place that feels a little more like ye olden days. If we respond well to that, for example by revamping the front-page, by replying to the (latent) needs of potential visitors and writing new engaging/funny articles, I believe there could even be some growth in it. All depends on site management. I have read several posts about how management is busy with the back-end, that the front page is on a priority list and that they are really working on improving the site, but so far I haven't seen much of that (correct me if I'm wrong). I think there are more then enough people who would like to help set this up, write articles, make banners, etc. Time will tell!