Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

The SA forums went through several iterations but stopped evolving at some point, and I think now the general vibe is that to keep it like a historic community while the userbase slowly declines. A lot of the activity has been subsumed by megathread with their own in-group, culture and rules that more or less function as a whatsapp convo, and due to various fortunate or unfortunate happenings over time a lot of activity migrated to discord channels. Its not a bad end for SA considering how many other community sites on the internet ended up disintegrating completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

The forums have only a sliver of the activity of compared to what they had before, but I guess some people aren't happy until its all consolidated down to 10 mega-threads with the same 40 people posting for that special community feel.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Hotel Kpro posted:

Yeah when the future of the forums was in doubt because lowtax was getting tired of grifting it a bunch of posters took their mega threads into discord and it killed activity in some threads. And also there’s the issue of tons of posters only checking bookmarked threads so some new threads just kinda fade away without much interaction cause people can’t be arsed to look at the main forum index once in a while

its because the content algorithm "every post bumps thread to top of index" is terrible. There's a reason everyone has moved on from it, but unfortunately this place has stuck to it so long that everyone either left or switched to using bookmarked threads - and then you just have the weirdos left scanning the forums index like a pre-2005 internet.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I prefer the SA system and I was making GBS threads in diapers when you registered
This is equally as cool as when teenage boys decide they like old-timey hats and wear fedoras in public. Delete your account and hang out on tik-tok like a normal kid instead of loitering around the online equivalent of an old folks home.