Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Martman posted:

Could superman kill a dog if it was really evil?

This is my pitch for League of Super-Pets 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

Could superman kill a dog if it was really evil?

I'm pretty sure he's canonically watched Old Yeller.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Superman vs. White God

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

My brain doesn’t buy it. It doesn’t feel hopeful to me and it never will.

BvS is better to me because Batman’s pov is in line with how I feel with what Superman did lol

That's your first issue: blaming Superman for what Zod did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t like Cavill in man of steel. He’s way better in BvS all around.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That' something an anti-Superman protestor would say... Where were you during the Capitol Building Bombing?!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that just Kill The Justice League?

No, they have little tanks and don't piss on anything

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jimbot posted:

That' something an anti-Superman protestor would say... Where were you during the Capitol Building Bombing?!

Making the piss in the jar

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like Cavill in man of steel. He’s way better in BvS all around.

wtf he's adorable in Man Of Steel

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

CelticPredator posted:

Making the piss in the jar

Drink more water please.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If the piss isn’t dehydrated brown then what’s the point of the gesture huh? You think peach tea is clear?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's jolly rancher colored.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you don't know, the "if there's a 1% chance" thing from Batman is what Dick Cheney said about terrorist attacks. They even wrote a book about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_Percent_Doctrine

Something interesting in that Rogan interview is that Snyder reveals a really important book to him, that he read after his brother died when he was still a practicing Christian Scientist, was called Illusions: Confessions of a Reluctant Messiah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusions_(Bach_novel)

One big thing about the book is how bad it sucks to be a "Chosen One" kinda person. Very 70s counterculture stuff. Obvs a big time influence on his Superman movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda funny given 'it loving sucks to be the chosen one' is a recurring theme both in a lot of counterculture media, a lot of current media, and a lot of Jewish scripture.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Space Fish posted:

Clark would've spared Faora.
"This is your ghost dad speaking. gently caress them kids, you can fix her."

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

For those who don't know, this is a retcon (that has been retconned several times itself, pretty sure Zod and pals are alive currently). Siegel & Shuster Superman would kill both supervillains like Ultrahumanite and nonsuper villains like slumlords and gangsters whenever he felt it was warranted. No use crying over bad eggs!

And tbf not even all modern writers have portrayed him as a dipshit boyscout going "oh noes I killed space Hitler boo hoo my no kill rule" but it's unfortunately a pretty popular take. Lame AF imo

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny given 'it loving sucks to be the chosen one' is a recurring theme both in a lot of counterculture media, a lot of current media, and a lot of Jewish scripture.

Ill never understand the clean idealized version of Supes, I simply dont get. Not being kind of sad and struggling with this immense burden at first as he grew and accepted his place as Superman would make me 100% more sus he was a weird sociopath than vice-versa. Its inhuman and unrelatable to me.

Like if you have an issue with how Goyer, Terruo and Snyder executed that concept, sure whatever, but to call the idea something that destroys Supermans ethos is just silly.

One of my biggest issues with peoples problems with Snyders supe is they constantly try to rob him of his humanity and the writers rights to explore his less than chipper emotions.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
People were calling Snyder’s Supes emo because god forbid a man have emotions.

I’m half joking, but it’s so weird to see people, to this day, upset at the idea of a Superman having ANY uncertainty.

There were multiple scenes of Clark saving people with zero hesitation before he donned the cape, but no, he’s actually a sociopathic evil god lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

God forbid that Clark Kent feels apprehensive about wielding absolute power

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

And - something not spelled out often enough - being inspired by the human examples he can see with his super-senses. He works to undo our damage while honoring the best in all of us. Even while feeling some doubts! I like that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s kinda wild that Superman purists usually only cite that one superman story that came out almost twenty years ago and pretty much nothing else.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Space Fish posted:

And - something not spelled out often enough - being inspired by the human examples he can see with his super-senses. He works to undo our damage while honoring the best in all of us. Even while feeling some doubts! I like that.

I still love the moment in MoS where Lois investigates Clark's past and finds the former bully working at Waffle House or whatever and he is kinda awkward. He clearly kept his mouth shut in the past but was caught off-guard by a real journalist, it's a tiny look at the kind of inspiration Clark gave to people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McCloud posted:

God forbid that Clark Kent feels apprehensive about wielding absolute power

One of the earlier moments that suggested that the Snyder hatedom may have lost the plot was seeing a bunch of nominally progressive folk decrying how the autistic-coded Clark doesn't smile enough.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Space Fish posted:

I love that part so much. He's seen the worst and the best of us, the jerk at the diner and the guy at the fishing boat, the ugly bullies at school, and people like Perry and Lombard who in their last moments choose to stay with Jenny so she won't be alone, rather than save themselves, and despite humanities ugliness and pettiness, we still inspire him. When the world engine is hitting him with that gravity beam, it's humanity's act of kindness and compassion that gives him the strength to carry the literal weight of the world, and in the end, his kindness inspires humanity right back.

It's just so beautiful and hopeful

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
You cannot be brave without feeling fear.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ruddiger posted:

It’s kinda wild that Superman purists usually only cite that one superman story that came out almost twenty years ago and pretty much nothing else.

Like almost all 'Superman purists' aren't actually Superman fans in any meaningful sense and don't actually want what they say they do, a childish fantasy of smiling daddy coming down from the sky to fix everything with no effort.

Reminds me of how Garth Ennis got approached to write a Superman story 'Because you're the only one who doesn't become five years old when I ask'.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why are so many people afraid to write what the people really want - a Superdick

Even Zack Snyder failed us in our time of need

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We already have The Boys. If anything there's complains that there's too much 'Superman but evil' these days.

ed: Oh wait you mean literally, and that's fair

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 16, 2024

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Why are so many people afraid to write what the people really want - a Superdick

Even Zack Snyder failed us in our time of need

If you want a superdick I can hook you up with a guy i know, just be prepared to limp for a while

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"Superman but evil" is safe, because there's a thousand forms of evil that people can broadly agree on.

"Superman but good" is the dangerous option, because the popular perception of the character is not just that he's a well-meaning good guy but that he has deliberate, purposeful, and actionable morals. He's super good. And people don't all agree on super goodness.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Of the more understated parts in BVS is that Clark is trying to be the “apolitical” comicsbook Superman, to some extent - and it makes him fuckin’ miserable.

There’s lots of hate, but it’s not like he doesn’t have plenty of supporters either. He just doesn’t want to be that guy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

"Superman but evil" is safe, because there's a thousand forms of evil that people can broadly agree on.

"Superman but good" is the dangerous option, because the popular perception of the character is not just that he's a well-meaning good guy but that he has deliberate, purposeful, and actionable morals. He's super good. And people don't all agree on super goodness.

I agree with you except for one thing. Evil superman is safe because it basically always boils down to the same sort of villainy: murder at various scales, theivery and intimidation at various scales. Everyone agrees that those things are bad. It can be fun to watch a fictional person enact them.

Good superman is harder because there are a million ways to do good, they all have costs and limitations. Does he fight street crime? Does he fight the guy who sold him the gun, or marketed it? or created the socioeconomic conditions, or shirked their societal responsibilities? Where does it stop and what are the appropriate responses.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only two interesting and popular evil superman stories (Homelander and Omni-man, no one gives a poo poo about Brightburn) both believe they're the good guy, doing the right thing, albeit for very different reasons and expressing that in very different ways.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only two interesting and popular evil superman stories (Homelander and Omni-man, no one gives a poo poo about Brightburn) both believe they're the good guy, doing the right thing, albeit for very different reasons and expressing that in very different ways.

FWIW Irredeemable and Injustice do a pretty good job of steeping otherwise good Supermans in heating water until they boil over and break bad, both won me over from initial skepticism.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

On a comics forum I used to be once someone posted a thread titled "How would superman react to seeing a sex worker on the street?" and the responses were fascinating because it was impossible to answer it without the person answering saying a lot about their own values.

Snowman_McK posted:

I'd disagree on Homelander tbh. The interesting aspect about Homelander as a character is that he's a Superman who doesn't really give a poo poo. He's certainly not a good guy, but he lacks the focus and ambition to really have an evil scheme either.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 17, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brightburn is just if Goku didn't hit his head.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Alan Moore Majestic run is top tier Superman stories in disguise.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Homelander "just" needs unconditional love and admiration from 100% of humanity. That this was impossible even when he did everything right (as far as anyone knew, anyway) made him batshit crazy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Necrothatcher posted:

The Alan Moore Majestic run is top tier Superman stories in disguise.

You mean Supreme, no?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I ought to track down the actual Superman brand Superman stories Moore wrote in the 80s. I've read the only two people talk about (What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and For the Man Who Has Everything) but they were both really drat solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

I ought to track down the actual Superman brand Superman stories Moore wrote in the 80s. I've read the only two people talk about (What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and For the Man Who Has Everything) but they were both really drat solid.

I don’t think he did much more than that, I got a collection of his DC stuff awhile back in TPB form and it’s largely single issues and short stories. Even the Green Lantern stuff that Geoff Johns spent years mining amounts to like a dozen odd pages