Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Playing this while I open the new thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXUDP6HP4qk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

teagone posted:

It's not. And Snyder is never quoted saying as such. It's just that when a crossover film featuring two of the most storied comic book heroes in history -- characters who also happen to have very iconic adaptations in previous films as well -- there's very much a certain sort of vivacious experience the audience is expecting going into a movie with "Batman" and "Superman" in the title. What Snyder delivered with BvS was clearly NOT that, lol. He crafted something much different and against the grain.

Even better, he somewhat adapted one of the most famous graphic novels of all time that heavily features the two of them and flipped it on its head to make Batman an unhinged psycho.

I still think nerds were just mad that Batman isn’t cool in BvS. Switch Wonder Woman & Batman’s roles and people would have been fine with it.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Made Man of Steel more accessible:

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Randomly watched the Batman rescues Martha scene and goddamn does it kick rear end. I can’t believe we’re not going to get an entire movie of that.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Can’t decide if my favorite KO is the dude he drive-by headfirst in to a crate, the dude he domes in the head with said crate moments later, or the guy he picks up and throws through a wall.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Special shout-out to the guy who gets hung upside down and then kicked into the grenade guy and presumably blown up

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

checkplease posted:

You think companies sell special Batman insurance. when he breaks lots of your bone don’t worry still covered, no deductible needed. Maybe just proof of a brand.

Bad guys begging to get branded so they don’t go bankrupt paying their hospital bills

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It’s a real bummer, too, because a high-budget Flash movie where he goes up against the Rogues or Gorilla Grodd would be a lot of fun and we’re not going to get it for a long time after this.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I actually do think Nolan is pretty sexless in most of his output, but every Batman evokes some reading of his sublimated, unrealized sexuality. It’s kind of an elephant in the room: this handsome billionaire playboy never fucks, but is really primed for psychosexual interpretation over why. He’s an adult obsessed with his dead parents, who’s unmarried and only has performative relationships in public, and constantly finds himself in these extremely suggestive dynamics with lady supervillains who go real horny with it. On top of that, he lives with a singular teenage ward half the time, where the vibes are always weird as gently caress. Bruce Wayne’s sexuality is an unavoidably strange but prominent detail of the character, vs. Superman or Flash who typically just have partners and aren’t that weird about it.

Dick Grayson/Nightwing is a nice contrast to this, since he’s “Batman who got over his parents’ deaths,” and he’s the most Down To gently caress dude in the DC Universe.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
“I’m not broken, and I’m not alone”

Yeah but what if, and I’m just spitballing here, he says, “Booyah!” instead?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
We'll never see it but I was slightly offended by the insinuation that Clark could be corrupted, to be honest.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

No Dignity posted:

He came back wrong when they revived him, even in Justice League he's hanging by a thread to his humanity (the thread is Lois)

This makes sense and I withdraw my complaint. Phew, for a second there I thought there was a chance the series wasn't perfect!

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Amazing that Charlie Hunnam manages to be boring even with all that crazy poo poo around him.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
So there's a bull, a deer… probably some sort of rhino coming next. Maybe a moose.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Making Zod’s crazy angry eyes at that post

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
You mean H'raka? I love H'raka. Big H'raka guy over here.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The 28 Days Later discussion reminded me of Sunshine, another Boyle/Garland collaboration, which is probably the first movie I ever saw that I loved way more than everyone else I knew. Man of Steel was the second. I'm a big fan of the Sun as a metaphor, apparently.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
"I'm not going to call you Professor Zoom, that's ridiculous."

"Well, you can call me by my first name if you want."

"What's that?"

"Eobard."

"So anyway, Professor Zoom..."

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

If you have kids you basically have to do this half the time anyway I dunno.

In my experience you just get to watch the first 40 min of the same movie over and over and

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Dan Harmon would disintegrate if he lifted a single weight so I don't know how that would have worked

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Less “Aquaman hanging his suit on a line,” more “octopus playing the drums at a death match.”

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It’s okay because he smiles while he does it

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Miching Mallecho posted:

Honestly, I got pissed off when people praised the Batmobile chase in The Batman while ignoring the destruction on a highway but when Batman does the same thing on the docks in BvS, everyone lost their minds.

And it's not like I didn't like chase in The Batman, I did but it was still funny how the same people praise thT but tsk tsk the same thing in the other movie.

I can't think about the Batmobile BvS scene without hearing the little plink noise it makes when it bounces off Superman. So funny

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Right, that's basically what I'm saying, it's just that "like a villain" here isn't really about doing things that are, by an external standard, morally wrong -- people have pointed out how monstrous Batman is as a concept so many times it's practically trite. The emotionally charged issue that makes "like a villain" so scandalous is that comic book villains are impotent, in some sense doomed to lose.

e: BvS got people's knickers in a twist because it simultaneously features Superman expressing doubt and failing despite being right (this is where the "moral nihilism" bit comes in -- if you think that the universe rewards goodness with success, then a paragon of goodness doing his best and still failing is an affront) while also having Batman fail because his approach to heroism is flawed and self-destructive (ironically a plot that fits perfectly with that simplistic moral universe, and is only really controversial because its target is Batman.)

It also features a disillusioned, atheist Batman becoming born again thanks to the healing power of our lord and savior Jesus Christ Superman so some people didn't like that.

And ultimately, the guy who made Sucker Punch basically made his own version of Dark Knight Returns that flipped it on its head and made Batman a psychotic weirdo villain (as opposed to the psychotic weirdo hero that he is in Dark Knight Returns). Which is, y'know, hilarious, but it made some nerds really mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think that resorting on killing and being then tormented by guilt for it is a fine narrative arc for Superman (it can work only once though). I would be way more skeptical of a Superman that consistently kills in cold blood with little remorse.

What if he kills the same guy twice?