Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Escobarbarian posted:

Technically, but he also pairs it with saying it was a movie you “really needed to pay attention to”, and it’s not like the two are meant to be separate points, right? Like he is stating it’s layered in a way that required thought and analysis, which I personally don’t agree with. If a movie is meant to be thematically biblical and has a shot that echoes The Last Supper, that shot in itself doesn’t inherently mean it’s layered the biblical themes in an thoughtful way. To me, that’s how the themes in BvS come across. “The Arthurian legends are mythological and about heroes, and so is the story of Superman” is valid, but I personally don’t think just pointing that out and doing nothing further with it makes a movie smart, but it seems from (the full version of, not just the twitter post) that quote that Snyder does, and it’s certainly not the first place I’ve seen that take. I think it’s fair to refute.

The bolded statement came from people noticing some visual references to 1981's Excalibur. The biggest ones were Batman's kryptonite spear having a similar green glow to the titular sword, and Superman (King Arthur) sacrificing his life to defeat the armored abomination Doomsday (Mordred).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Of course, I just wanted to point out that Guy A. bringing up Arthurian legend regarding BvS’s themes didn’t come from nowhere.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Name Change posted:

Social Network came out in 2010 and Jesse Eisenberg playing unloved loser except edgier was not powerful visionary casting (Zombieland, American Ultra).

What made the casting visionary was making that type of character a powerful billionaire.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Assepoester posted:

BvS Lex was Elon Musk before it was widely known how sad and pathetic Elon actually was.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1665222486915522564

Oh I’m sure Elon’s stans would totally know about a female led fantasy comic from the 1980’s.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

fr0id posted:

I tuned in to see how people felt about the caring about Snyder skin to patriarchy joke and yeah gently caress that. It’s ironic that Snyder’s first superhero film was watchmen, because he did far more interesting deconstructions of heroes given the much “straighter” material of Superman and Batman movies. The krypton part of MoS still sucks though.

I still don’t understand this complaint. Was it too long? Too focused on action? Didn’t serve the plot? It just feels weird to complain about a sci-fi movie having classic sci-fi tropes.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

shoeberto posted:

I didn't care for it just because I think the Krypton stuff is all inherently very silly. It did a good job of conveying the motivation for everything but trying to put a super serious coat of paint on something that conceptually still feels pretty campy just took me out of it. The earth stuff was consistently more interesting.

For us the audience it’s a silly concept, but it makes complete sense for the characters within the narrative to take their planet’s imminent demise very seriously.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

fr0id posted:

Does the black and white Justice league add anything? It seems like the opposite of what you’d want for a comic book movie. I’d be more interested in a technicolor Justice league.

Justice League 2017 already exists

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I’m struggling to see how Mad Max Batman is any worse of an idea than any other goofy poo poo he got up to in comics. Like “post apocalyptic Batman” seemed inevitable.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Tea Party Crasher posted:

The only character with any meat to them was Finn, and the interesting aspect to his character (pretending to be a rebel) is quickly abandoned within the first half of the first movie so that they can just turn him into generic good guy action figure person

Finn was such a wasted opportunity. “Story of a stormtrooper switching sides and eventually becoming a Jedi” is such an obvious and interesting premise, and Disney went “nah”.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Darko posted:

I love how goofy Ozy is in HBO Watchmen. And Manhattan is definitely a dude that would go around in blackface for a while.

It's also amusing how the sources for Comedian (Peacemaker) and Owl (Blue Beetle) have a bit of mainstream recognition now.

Don’t forget the Question (Rorschach)!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
The female protagonist is too OP, she needs to be nerfed.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Wow almost as if Superman isn’t tarnished as a character if he makes an extremely hard decision.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think that resorting on killing and being then tormented by guilt for it is a fine narrative arc for Superman (it can work only once though). I would be way more skeptical of a Superman that consistently kills in cold blood with little remorse.

I have literally never seen anyone fine with Superman killing Zod in MoS claim they want SuperPunisher.

Like I truly can’t understand why “Superman should avoid killing unless it’s an equally powerful but evil godlike being” is so controversial.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
People were calling Snyder’s Supes emo because god forbid a man have emotions.

I’m half joking, but it’s so weird to see people, to this day, upset at the idea of a Superman having ANY uncertainty.

There were multiple scenes of Clark saving people with zero hesitation before he donned the cape, but no, he’s actually a sociopathic evil god lol

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Halloween Jack posted:

The real problem with Zack Snyder's superhero movies is the same problem with all superhero movies: It's all downhill after Watchmen (dir. Snyder, 2008)

In my humble opinion, ZSJL is one of the best superhero movies because it captures what I like about superhero comics: bombastic action and characters who are both aspirational and relatable. It isn’t just a team up movie, it’s story of lonely people coming together to fight space fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Yeah I just remember seeing some people were Definitely Not Mad that scene won a fake Oscar over anything from No Way Home