Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Is the thread title an actual quote cause lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NinjaPete posted:

Holy poo poo that is 8 minutes of infuriating smugness.

I feel like none of them learned a drat lesson either.

Omg I forgot Zachary Levi was in this hahahaha get dunked on forever

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jimbot posted:

That tweet is some rabble-rousing to the max.

He's not wrong in the full quote.

Not a stretch to say that at the height of Marvel action-comedy romps having something like this come out went against expectations. It was even really different from the film that preceded it.

Yeah, this. Like even in the cut down click-bait quote he's literally just saying "audiences didn't find the way I did this film to be cool" which....is true? Sure you can really squint your eyes and read it as "I did a really deep film and they couldn't understand it" by unfairly interpreting "that wasn't cool for them" as like "they're idiots" and not "they didn't find a thing cool" in order to be offended.

With the added context he's even more magnanimous and literally saying "I did a kind of out there deconstruction of a super hero movie and most people just wanted something light and fun" which is literally what people who hate BvS say when they describe it as "grimdark" and say Gunn is going to save the DCEU by making it more fun.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I will say the first viewing of the theatrical cut felt a bit "unmoored" due to the fast editing where they cut a lot of establishing shots and breathing room. On second viewing I appreciated it a lot more because I "got" the whole idea that the editor was carrying through the dream-like logic of the first few sequences into the first half of the movie, this appropriately ends right after Bruce awakes from his Knightmare.

I could also see the Ultimate cut feeling a little bloated and long, it's definitely not as majestically cut as ZSJL where it feels shorter than it is. My preferred cut is somewhere between the theatrical and Ultimate cut, probably closest to perfection is the KWaste cut.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

pretty laughable

laughable

Man what a fun and amusing day for you :)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Like the term “layers” implies depth, right?

I mean it implies a depth of a least 2 I suppose. I feel like there's a trap here and that you are using "depth" as a way to refute what he is saying by daring people to argue that some shallow summer blockbuster had "depth" but what checkplease is saying scans: if the "layers" are simply "Superman is like Arthurian Legend" and "the battle in Metropolis was like 9/11" then that is more than a single layer to each of those ideas.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Some cool posts up in here! I definitely get what you all are going for now. I still don’t agree that it’s why the movie was considered a failure and I will always have major qualms with that way of thinking but I can happily admit the comparisons and metaphors go deeper than I was aware of.

Another Snyder-dome success story!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I know how to fix the scene for everyone who hates it

:five:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

You will believe that men fly now?! Oh yeah, men fly now!

Hahahhahaha

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gonna need to merge these two Snyder hype threads ASAP to ensure brand loyalty

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud posted:

If you're really bored, go through the old snyder dome thread , there's a lot of good posts in there (also lots of bad ones, lol)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880957

Reading some of the above quotes and such I might do this and repost some of my many bangers*

*i'll be lucky if i have one good essay length post in there lol

ankitojha posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I hope this doesn't discourage you btw, 6ers (slang for 6 hour probations) are literally a slap on the wrist, you'll get he hang of it. I liked your twitter thread the other day about the oft-cited All-Star Superman page, if you post with that level of earnestness you should be fine :)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Batman is Van Helsing, the man with the plan, who has through extraordinary effort come to a deeper understanding of the scope of the evil he has taken it upon himself to battle.

Damnit was going to post this while catching up. He also relies on tools and scholarly knowledge, and recruits sidekicks to fight his nemeses.

Interestingly I feel like a lot of the heroes use various elements from all these myths, some random observations:

- the Flash had his powers awakened by a lightning strike like Frankenstein
- Wonder Woman is getting kind of the short straw in this convo but she’s got the longevity and nobility and warrior prowess to make her as close to Dracula as the others (or the Mummy actually)
- Superman was already partially inspired by the Golem although not sure if we are counting that
- Cyborg while being obviously close to Frankenstein is also a forced/unwanted transformation he can’t fully control like the Wolfman

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I like Gunn's work, with the exception of Guardian's 2, but I can't imagine his very specific tone working for Superman.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m going in with an open mind. Zack Snyder wouldn’t have been making Superman movies forever, and even said something to the effect that they’re basically only borrowing the characters when they have them.

That said, Gunn is far away from the last pick for Superman I would have chosen. A lot of (untrue) complaints about Snyder’s works are that they’re not comic accurate, mysteriously don’t get said about Gunn, who, so far, makes original characters using the skins of semi-obscure characters in his big Marvel and DC movies. I somehow don’t think his Superman film is going to be quite as scrutinized as Man of Steel was among certain extremely online types.

Agree with both of these. The Guardians movies are great and have a lot of heart but they are very obviously about underdog misfits with a specific crass comedic tone that won't work for the specific character of Superman. My guess is we will have Jimmy Olsen and some of the supporting class making more of those types of jokes (Dave Bautista for Bizarro IMO).

And yeah there's already a lot of people making every possible excuse for this movie that won't be out for 5 years. If Gunn turned in Man of Steel except color shifted and with ~5 more jokes the same people who hate Snyder would be weeping tears of joy over a new modern classic. That's just something I've come to terms with and I'm not going to blame Gunn himself for that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's worth noting in case people aren't up on the lore but the Anti-Life Equation is effectively super high level mind control (well not directly but what it does is destroy people's will and makes them an empty vessel for Darkseid to control). So it's not simply a matter of "oh Clark got sad and Darkseid convinced him to destroy humanity" like Injustice or whatever, it's literally "Clark is already so amazing and incorruptible that he one of a handful of people on Earth able to resist this god magic at all, but losing Lois weakens him just enough that he becomes susceptible".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

La Louve Rouge posted:

I think I get it. Clark would have been heroic if he hosed the waitress after

He walks out of the bar with his arms around the waitress and says “looks like you need a ride :smug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't believe how hyped Firefly was vs. how not into it overall I was. I still knew some people sort of recently that were still like demanding a second season or whatever.

People still dying to see the “treat the whore like a lady” sequence

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I gotta say I appreciate the approach of just being like “whhaaattttt I don’t even know what this joke means lol how’d that get in there?” since it’s guaranteed to infuriate anyone who cares

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah it's maybe stated a bit flippantly but quite honestly people were put off by Superman struggling, needing to resort to killing someone, not being able to come up with a magic solution that saved every person while he made wry comments and winked at the camera.

It's like comparing Ted Lasso to something like Life is Beautiful: which is ultimately more optimistic and hopeful about human nature? Ted Lasso is certainly a fun feel good show but it's also basically about how being friendly will eventually win even the worst sour puss over. Sometimes you need to contrast how dark life can get in order to have the message "but there is still hope and beauty in humanity's struggle against the darkness"

EDIT: drat MJ said it way better, props

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Add me to the list of the people who slightly prefer the theatrical cut. I was put off at first but on a repeat viewing I absolutely love that it takes the fever dream logic of the opening sequences (which themselves include dreams) into basically the entire first half of the movie, only finally slowing down after the Knightmare when Bruce has become more determined in his end goal.

The Ultimate Cut is a bit bloated for my tastes but there are some absolutely criminal cuts that fleshed out Clark's character a lot more (and ironically after one of the main talking points about MoS being that Clark is too sad and alien, the studio essentially forced them to cut a lot of Clark's humanity as well as the film's humor in order to try and squeeze more showings in)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud posted:

Im not sure I agree. I think while it was always going to be a divisive movie, the UE would have at least helped ameliorate some of the criticisms against it. The way it elaborates on both Supermans and Batmans grievances, and the less frantic editing in particular would have made the movie less confusing to a significant chunk of the audience, and that's two of the big (legitimate) complaints I heard from the non-insane contingent.

People are a lot less forgiving and way more nitpicky of movies they don't like, and most people that give the UE an honest chance think it's at least an improvement over the theatrical. Like I think it still would have made nerds mad, but I don't think people would have dunked on it as hard if they released the complete movie instead of three quarters of one.

Yea agreed here. Obviously it’s impossible to look into that alternate universe where it happened but don’t forget there was a good deal of hype and record presales for the movie before it released. The bad word of mouth and poor reviews almost certainly added to the big drop offs and from there I feel like you get a spiral effect where stories about how poorly it’s doing cause more people to decide to give it a skip. It’s probably crazy to claim it would have definitely crossed a billion but conversely it’s easy to imagine how a slightly better second weekend and less doom and gloom helps it out a decent amount.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

It's odd that the 'tactical realism as applied to zombies' crowd hates fast zombies,

It’s cause all the out of shape nerds with zombie contingency plans know that they wouldn’t last 15 seconds in a fast zombie invasion. With slow zombies they could pretend their ingenuous plan of knocking out their parents staircase and chilling on the second floor playing Nintendo would actually work, and all the people with real world skills would somehow collapse in the face of this bizarre new paradigm. Fast zombies just win, the end.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah in retrospect it's so lame that they took like they one interesting hook from the Flashpoint story (Professor Zoom is who went back in time to murder Barry's mom) and just made it a home invasion.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I agree with decision to take Zack’s head out of the lower left of the frame, not sure what they were going for but it obviously didn’t work

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

One two jakes kneel before you, that's what I said now

this one got me lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Woman of Kleenex

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I had a feeling this might be it because like 14 years ago I took a class in college about film soundtrack/scoring and I vaguely remembered a lot of grumbling from soundtrack academia like that particular flick's soundtrack was a watershed "is this guy REALLY a genius?" because of the licensed music placement and choices vs. what was going on in the movie. I think it's the only one of his where I remember a kind of almost angry reaction among that crowd to the soundtrack for feeling brainlessly handled vs. how popular it was.

This is weird and feels like they heard that specific story and got insulted that he just heard something he liked and put it in instead of agonizing over the appropriate thematic choice.

In any case the use of this cover of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" during the duel should offset any weaker soundtrack choices, cause goddamn this rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hwiCkU73NA

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Everyone knows visuals aren't something you can consciously plan you just have to idiot savant something onto the canvas/film/etc. Yes I am a lover of the arts and dedicate my life to studying them why do you ask?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Some of the best authors just write blatant genre poo poo anyway like McCarthy and Atwood and Pynchon but then when people ask them they are just like “what are you talking about what’s sci-fi lol check this weirdo out”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Snyder became synonymous with "crazy rear end fans" because the social media freaks and their outlets pushed that narrative after his Superman made them mad, and it stuck. Big surprise there.

It was greatly exasperated by THR and other outlets putting out articles about it as a smokescreen for WB covering up actual racism and abuse of their employees. The fact that so many people -- including ostensible leftists -- bought this narrative hook, line and sinker is still super embarrassing and disgusting.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you say "like an AI generated it" in 2023 i'm going to assume you mean actual SEO-optimized gibberish and not, like, that meme from a decade ago where you pretend a computer made your not-very-funny parody of something popular

like this is what I imagine when I hear that: https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1728310533147791602

This explicitly doesn't seem to be written by an AI to me because it goes back to finish an earlier thought (why the guy would be out picking berries) and doesn't just "yes and" itself onto some weird tangent. Doubling back from talking about strange occurrences to expounding on berry picking is clunky writing and maybe even a weird line read or edit, but doesn't immediately make me think "yeah an AI wrote this" as if there wasn't bad writing before AI existed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I still can't believe they actually got JJ to say "oh when Finn was about to drown in quick sand his last words were going to be telling Rey he was force sensitive". Like what an embarrassing joke lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Flying Zamboni posted:

You're right I forgot about this scene:

Lmao

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

well why not posted:

[getting the old razzledazzle eight times consecutively] I am studying his limitations

Hahaha

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I've said this before but we never really got past the "you expected yellow spandex?" joke from X-Men in 2000, from a script that was "punched up" by Joss Whedon. Like sure, now we've gotten to the point where super heroes will actually wear some of their iconic costumes, but the movies have to be constantly letting you know that they are in on the joke, that hey we all get it, this is silly looking poo poo!

It's one thing to embrace the campiness, but what the MCU has created is this tone where everyone has to be joking in the most "mugging for the camera" way to undercut not just the emotional aspects of the movie but even the already comical aspects of the movie like "holy poo poo this guy's actual name is Octavius and he cosplays as an octopus!" when like, duh, that was already a joke.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don’t want to cure cancer enjoy his films! I want to turn people into dinosuars complain about slo-mo!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I for one am fascinated to compare the cuts but def understand why others would find that a waste of time

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Netflix is just trying to meme

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

It's a dumb move. Announcing the extended cut wouldn't come out til summer killed all hype I had for it lol

I would have thought a very obvious strategy assuming they had to separate the PG and R cuts significantly would be to still put out the R cut before part 2. If people are waiting at all for the extended cut they obviously skip both part 1 and 2, but if they like the R cut of part 1 enough they might check out part 2 to see what happens next even before its own extended cut. Meanwhile if people hate the ending it might turn them off for watching the R cut of part 1, or else make them wait for the extended cuts for both to just watch it all at once? Like I don't see this specific order as being beneficial for basically any reason, the people who are going to watch it all (me) are going to in any order, but this makes it likely that certain people are more likely to skip more of the 4 than otherwise.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah rebel moon is like a good movie that you unfortunately left too often to go to the toilet whereas theres no amount of staying put and making GBS threads yourself that makes the first justice league any good.

Christ this is a good analogy hahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

- Fixed a bug where missing with the bolt gun would cause restraint chairs to fully disengage.

lmfao