Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Maybe it's because I'm a geriatric millennial, but I think it should be fine for bars to allow smoking indoors if they want. Charge them up the rear end with licensing fees, insurance, ventilation requirements, whatever. But the smoking bans seem silly when all it does is push smokers out onto the sidewalk – a public space where smoking should reasonably be prohibited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

New things scare and confuse me.

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~
hispanics like myself should be banned from entering so white people can wash they own undergarments

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
"You guys" is gender neutral

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SUBLIME! posted:

hispanics like myself should be banned from entering so white people can wash they own undergarments

Republicans royally screwing up by not engaging with the massive new base of really really conservative hispanics all over the country

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Maybe it's because I'm a geriatric millennial, but I think it should be fine for bars to allow smoking indoors if they want. Charge them up the rear end with licensing fees, insurance, ventilation requirements, whatever. But the smoking bans seem silly when all it does is push smokers out onto the sidewalk – a public space where smoking should reasonably be prohibited.

banning smoking in bars was broadly unpopular among barowners and smokers but opinions generally turned around because of how much nicer it is in bars now. business went up instead of down because the number of smokers unwilling to just go outside to smoke turned out to be less than the number of nonsmokers who went to bars more often afterward. if you allowed it now, probably a lot of non-dive bars would stay nonsmoking, but then they would gradually almost all go back to allowing smoking in order not to lose out to competition, even though this would mean that the total revenue of all bars overall would drop as a result of the change. a tragedy of the commons if you will

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Elephants are a better symbol than a donkey

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Konar posted:

Republicans royally screwing up by not engaging with the massive new base of really really conservative hispanics all over the country

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

eSports Chaebol posted:

banning smoking in bars was broadly unpopular among barowners and smokers but opinions generally turned around because of how much nicer it is in bars now. business went up instead of down because the number of smokers unwilling to just go outside to smoke turned out to be less than the number of nonsmokers who went to bars more often afterward. if you allowed it now, probably a lot of non-dive bars would stay nonsmoking, but then they would gradually almost all go back to allowing smoking in order not to lose out to competition, even though this would mean that the total revenue of all bars overall would drop as a result of the change. a tragedy of the commons if you will

I'm aware of this argument, I guess I just don't find it all that convincing. I think some bars would be smoking and some would be non-smoking and it wouldn't be a huge deal. Maybe having the bans in place up to now was good to demonstrate that the business model does fine (even better in a lot of cases, as you mention) when smoking is banned, but having to walk through a pack of smokers on the sidewalk to get into a non-smoking bar seems like a pyrrhic victory at best. If old people at the old people bar want to smoke, I think that's fine.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm aware of this argument, I guess I just don't find it all that convincing. I think some bars would be smoking and some would be non-smoking and it wouldn't be a huge deal. Maybe having the bans in place up to now was good to demonstrate that the business model does fine (even better in a lot of cases, as you mention) when smoking is banned, but having to walk through a pack of smokers on the sidewalk to get into a non-smoking bar seems like a pyrrhic victory at best. If old people at the old people bar want to smoke, I think that's fine.

I smoked for 20 years and I never understood just how gross cigarette smoke is until I had quit for a few years. It permeates everything too so that when you go somewhere that there is smoking, you too will smell like an ashtray. Sure, we can talk about ventilation but I think that the demographic of people who aren't going to places due to non-smoking pale in size to the demographic of people who won't go somewhere that smoking is allowed. Just isn't economical to try and cater to smokers at this point.

Truth of the matter is that the intentions of anti-smoking laws are to look after the health of those who don't smoke but more so to inconvenience smokers and turn them into pariahs to urge them to quit. Having smokers stand outside and shiver and look unwanted is completely intentional. I hated these laws at first but now I understand them.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Tarkus posted:

Sure, we can talk about ventilation but I think that the demographic of people who aren't going to places due to non-smoking pale in size to the demographic of people who won't go somewhere that smoking is allowed. Just isn't economical to try and cater to smokers at this point.

Yeah, probably. It think the model has at least sufficiently changed to the point that the entire sector won't pivot back to all-smoking the moment the bans are lifted, so I think the bans probably had a sustainable positive impact. At this point? Let the old people bar be a smoking bar, let the smokers congregate at that bar if they want. I'd rather have a ban on smoking in the public spaces between the bars that allow smoking inside.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Just curious: are you a smoker?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Awkward Davies posted:

Just curious: are you a smoker?

No, not a smoker

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Serious_Cyclone posted:

really though how often do you wash your clothes and they still smell like smoke because of people smoking on the sidewalk

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

eSports Chaebol posted:

really though how often do you wash your clothes and they still smell like smoke because of people smoking on the sidewalk

Not often, but I also wouldn't go to a bar that allowed smoking inside. I just think the smokers should be allowed to go there and keep their stink and their butts contained over there so they're not stinking and butting over here on the sidewalk we're all supposed to be able to use.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Many bowling alleys in the Seattle area closed around when indoor smoking was banned, dunno if there was a connection or if they were on their way out anyway.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Should have a separate Olympics that only includes smoking sports: bowling, darts, pool

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Best orgasms ever are in airport bathroom stalls with strange men.

Are they in the bathroom stall with you or just unwilling listeners in another stall

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

I really like the idea of failsons having wealth and power served on a silver tray, I just wonder when I’m getting my due

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I shouldn't have to scan a QR code to read your menu

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Midget wrestling is loving awesome and I will not call it by any sort of politically correct term other than what it is: midget wrestling.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

AR-15s are necessary to combat todays modern super predators like the flying squirrel and the electric eel.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

elephants are smarter and cooler than donkeys

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Entorwellian posted:

Midget wrestling is loving awesome and I will not call it by any sort of politically correct term other than what it is: midget wrestling.

My opinion means zip because I'm not one, but the term "little person" always seemed more reductive and condescending than midget or dwarf. I'm fine using whatever makes people comfortable, but we need a better term.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Texas.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Das Boo posted:

My opinion means zip because I'm not one, but the term "little person" always seemed more reductive and condescending than midget or dwarf. I'm fine using whatever makes people comfortable, but we need a better term.

I completely agree with this. I've always found that term odd. I have it in the same place in my brain as "He's a really small man." as a pejorative.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The best music is the kind that you can tap your foot to.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this is a lovely bordeaux, reminiscent of the legendary 2005 harvest. beautifully structured, nose of jam and tar, lingering hints of vanilla and tobacco.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Tarkus posted:

I completely agree with this. I've always found that term odd. I have it in the same place in my brain as "He's a really small man." as a pejorative.

When I think of a "really small man," I think of Ben Shapiro, both physically and emotionally. However, I would be fine with him qualifying for midget wrestling and seeing him get hosed up by them.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Thanks to Game of Thrones, I’m going with Halfman.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
everybody should dress like pilgrims

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
You gotta admit, it is a pretty nice looking flag.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
he who smelt it dealt it

no really.....if you have control of natural resources and are smelting stuff...thats a pretty good thing

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
was going to say guns but then i remembered that i think that only communists should be allowed to have them

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
gently caress bitches, get money.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Extra Large Marge posted:

"You guys" is gender neutral

"Y'all" is better. I use it unironically on the reg

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Away all Goats posted:

I shouldn't have to scan a QR code to read your menu

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m Pro War OP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sales tax on digital goods should not exist, the goods themselves don't even exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Jail the youth. :colbert: