Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

wash bucket posted:

This isn't something that just got shittier. I just found out WHY it got shittier.

The city I live in is on a large lake that's a big deal for all the tourism and recreation reasons you would expect. Except it's very polluted. Sport fishing is still a huge draw but every pier and boat ramp has big signs that say "Do NOT eat these fish!" Of course everyone ignores those signs. Once upon a time I asked why the lake was so polluted and the response was, "Used to be a bunch of factories around the lake back in the day or something."

Well today I learned the exact reason why this lake is so polluted. It's listed on the EPA's website as a superfund site. It wasn't a bunch of factories. It was exactly one small factory that dumped industrial waste directly into a creek from the 50s to the 80s. This entire lake was ruined for generations by this one factory and everyone's reaction is, "Eh, something's gotta kill you."

Shout out to boring government agencies though. The EPA cared more about this than the people being poisoned by it. They made the company pay for many millions in remediation and cleanup efforts, they're still monitoring the pollution levels, and they have decades of documents and studies online that nobody gives a poo poo about.

If you would like to search for EPA superfund sites in your area then click here to ruin your day.

I grew up close to Lake Michigan and am very thankful that's where we get our water (though obviously that's also been heavily polluted at times) because there is basically a constellation of Superfund sites surrounding my childhood home, and I can't imagine that sort of thing is good for the water table.

In other lovely news, I went back to in-person teaching after a few years of doing remote tutoring, etc. and every student has tablets now. They were just sort of rolling out last time I was regularly in class, and the temptation for students to use them for everything is really distracting. Need to draw a dog for an activity? They'll just look up some clipart and trace it. Want to know what a word means? It's easier to type it into Google Translate and get an answer that's right 70% of the time than ask the teacher. The kids are really great at coming up with excuses for why they might need a tablet on them at any given time, giving them a reason to keep it out the whole class and look up random poo poo while I or one of the other teachers is helping another student. I hate to go all total Luddite because tablets are obvious an important tool in teaching, but they're not even learning important lessons like how to set up a proxy server to get around a firewall; that I could at least respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i havent let fireball of any sort touch my lips without social coercion in nigh a decade. cant stand the stuff, tastes really really super gross!

in unexplained shittiness news, my iphone is using way more mobile data than usual for some reason, like showing these 135mb or 450mb entries on the att data requests tracking page, whatever that means, and i have a grandfathered non unlimited data plan so they charged me a bunch of extra money this month so im probably gonna have to reset all my poo poo to make that stop happening

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I grew up close to Lake Michigan and am very thankful that's where we get our water (though obviously that's also been heavily polluted at times) because there is basically a constellation of Superfund sites surrounding my childhood home, and I can't imagine that sort of thing is good for the water table.

In other lovely news, I went back to in-person teaching after a few years of doing remote tutoring, etc. and every student has tablets now. They were just sort of rolling out last time I was regularly in class, and the temptation for students to use them for everything is really distracting. Need to draw a dog for an activity? They'll just look up some clipart and trace it. Want to know what a word means? It's easier to type it into Google Translate and get an answer that's right 70% of the time than ask the teacher. The kids are really great at coming up with excuses for why they might need a tablet on them at any given time, giving them a reason to keep it out the whole class and look up random poo poo while I or one of the other teachers is helping another student. I hate to go all total Luddite because tablets are obvious an important tool in teaching, but they're not even learning important lessons like how to set up a proxy server to get around a firewall; that I could at least respect.

Teachers imposing an antiquated notion of holistic learning on children does not really serve the children in their future influencer (god drat firefox your spell check is such poo poo you really don't have influencer) and/or wasteland scavenging career. They could be learning something actually important and relevant like the multiple fireballs.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 2, 2024

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

wash bucket posted:

If you would like to search for EPA superfund sites in your area then click here to ruin your day.

eh, only 3 in the entire state, and none in my county

Hmm? Nuclear testing, you say?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lol 70 in my state and a ton in my county. A ton of them are boeing and plane related and various smelters.

A reminder that if you live in the puget sound area you should check to see if you live in the alcoa plume range before you grow any foods in the dirt. South seattle tacoma and vashon are particularly hosed with in ground heavy metals.

Theres free test kits I guess if you google a bit.

https://ecology.wa.gov/blog/june-2016/tacoma-smelter-plume-recap-of-tacoma-public-meetin

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 2, 2024

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So my country doesn’t have Apple News despite using it for years…? Well gently caress me I guess.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is now the 3rd year in a row where as soon as the start of Summer rolls around all of the tap water in my city begins absolutely reeking of mold. The water company says "Oh it's just an algae bloom don't worry about it it's totally safe" but meanwhile I've gotta take showers that smell like they're pure liquid mold, and have to buy bottled water to drink water that doesn't taste like mold and that my cats will drink. They talk about it like it's a thing that has always happened every year forever but I've lived here for ~27 years and it never happened prior to 2021. Even after going through a brita filter it smells and tastes like mold.

Over in England and Wales back in the late 80s water was privatised and companies have a monopoly over particular areas. Since then the companies have paid out billions upon billions to shareholders and failed to repair existing infrastructure or build more to cope with demand either current or future. To add to this they've been pumping sewage into rivers and the sea to quite frankly absurd amounts resulting in a huge amount of beaches being off limits for swimmers unless they want to get ill. I believe also France was looking to start legal action over it.

I mean the water supply is decent but gently caress me is the whole setup scummy as.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Over in England and Wales back in the late 80s water was privatised and companies have a monopoly over particular areas. Since then the companies have paid out billions upon billions to shareholders and failed to repair existing infrastructure or build more to cope with demand either current or future. To add to this they've been pumping sewage into rivers and the sea to quite frankly absurd amounts resulting in a huge amount of beaches being off limits for swimmers unless they want to get ill. I believe also France was looking to start legal action over it.

I mean the water supply is decent but gently caress me is the whole setup scummy as.

Russia sells its utilities to oligarchs like this

The west sells its utilities to Iike thiiiiiis

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
No but you see freedom

Bulldog Britannia Churchill

Manichean spasm

Yes

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

redshirt posted:

poo poo now I want some gas station Fireball

enshittifying your own intestines ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Wifi Toilet posted:

eh, only 3 in the entire state, and none in my county

Hmm? Nuclear testing, you say?

Lol. I'm sure the only reason all the other abandoned mine sites in Nevada aren't superfunds is probably just because no ones lives close enough to any of them to bother caring/getting them tested.

I looked for Vermont and there's like 10...a few old closed landfills, couple old mines, and then a couple random "a factory was here once." Only one in my county, not near me but with the way the watershed here works, it was def. going into the lake.

And there's also the places I know aren't superfunds but still leeched God knows what into the soil and rivers and lakes...old IBM chip plant that's now a Global Foundries site, an old railway barge canal that is like ten feet form a lake and has been an issue for decades in getting any sort of buildings made in that area, or traffic getting fixed since you can' really put anything there.