Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The stuff on Amazon isn't counterfeit it's loving stolen. Gangs of thieves steal common items then fence them in large batches on Amazon.

I'll have to dig up the news story but theynjust busted a organized theft ring here that had like 500,000 in product

Amazon is a easy way to fence goods and criminals use it a lot.

Use to it'd be the back of a van but now you can just sell it through Amazon.

It's so common Amazon has a whole department dedicated to figuring out stolen goods.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i literally do not care if it's stolen goods. counterfeit, i do care.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fun fact, most "speakers out of the back of a van in a mall parking lot" situations are actually counterfeit goods masquerading as stolen goods.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i literally do not care if it's stolen goods. counterfeit, i do care.

Yeah, I mean if they're stealing from big companies and selling it to me for cheaper... eh, I can't get too mad about that.

I doubt these organized gangs are stealing large amounts of product from a local small business that couldn't possibly afford to stock or store that amount anyway.

Gift cards are a major, if not the #1, vector for scams/money laundering now though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, I mean if they're stealing from big companies and selling it to me for cheaper... eh, I can't get too mad about that.

I doubt these organized gangs are stealing large amounts of product from a local small business that couldn't possibly afford to stock or store that amount anyway.

it's probably all getting stolen from the rail depots in Los Angeles:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-20/los-angeles-rail-theft-supply-chain-crunch-limited-security

so yeah likely not from small businesses

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
where are my stolen $5 iphones pls

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

You guys wanna hear something loving gross?

So my dad died almost a year ago. It was very sad and I'm still upset about it. My nephew and sister are living with my mom (and dad previously) due to financial troubles. My nephew never had a dad. He skipped town immediately when he was born. My dad was like a dad to him.

Last week my nephew told me that a while back, right after my dad died, someone came to their door and said "We're aware that someone just died here and we were wondering if you want to sell the house to us?" My nephew, about 6'3 220lbs and very polite and soft spoken was like "What?" The guy asked again and my nephew just said "Leave now."

I couldn't believe the loving gall of that snake. What prompted my nephew to tell me is that I sent him this text I got two weeks ago.

I looked up the company and they have no online presence and have been around for less than 2 years.

:capitalism:

I get texts like this probably once a month because I bought my house for cheap (67k back in 2017) and these property management companies apparently go through and just mass text people who could make a significant profit on their property now that the market is insane.

Yes, I realize I can make 60+ grand if I sell my house, but then I'm stuck paying over double my mortgage renting from these same slimy corporations that bought me out.

I usually just block their number.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gwely Mernans posted:

I usually just block their number.

I'm getting much angrier about the whole situation. Rent and house prices are just insane. I lucked out when I got my house in 2015 and now the price has doubled. But if I sell my house, uh, every other property has doubled as well. And the interest rate is about 5%+ higher than what I'm paying. Renters are hosed. I feel so bad for them. :(

This is my first house and I will die here. If I don't get eminent domained or something. Then I fill it with combustibles, light a match, and go down in a blaze of glory while doing as much damage to the land as possible.

Well, I guess the end result of me dying here is the same.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I started getting texts and postcards at least monthly back in 2020/21 from similar companies, promising to pay cash. I told them to gently caress off many times. I also told them that I'd let my friends know to avoid their bullshit company.

None of that stopped them

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If I get more texts I should just start sending them the 4th Stimpire screed.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm getting much angrier about the whole situation. Rent and house prices are just insane. I lucked out when I got my house in 2015 and now the price has doubled. But if I sell my house, uh, every other property has doubled as well. And the interest rate is about 5%+ higher than what I'm paying. Renters are hosed. I feel so bad for them. :(

This is my first house and I will die here. If I don't get eminent domained or something. Then I fill it with combustibles, light a match, and go down in a blaze of glory while doing as much damage to the land as possible.

Yeah, we're paying something like $1,700/mo. for a two-bedroom apartment in fukken Kansas. There is not a single place in all of Kansas worth $1,700/mo. I know. I grew up here.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

You guys wanna hear something loving gross?

So my dad died almost a year ago. It was very sad and I'm still upset about it. My nephew and sister are living with my mom (and dad previously) due to financial troubles. My nephew never had a dad. He skipped town immediately when he was born. My dad was like a dad to him.

Last week my nephew told me that a while back, right after my dad died, someone came to their door and said "We're aware that someone just died here and we were wondering if you want to sell the house to us?" My nephew, about 6'3 220lbs and very polite and soft spoken was like "What?" The guy asked again and my nephew just said "Leave now."

I couldn't believe the loving gall of that snake. What prompted my nephew to tell me is that I sent him this text I got two weeks ago.

I looked up the company and they have no online presence and have been around for less than 2 years.

:capitalism:

No poo poo like 2 months after my dad died we also had these vultures circling. They texted me, my sister, and my brother. We live spread across the country too. I was at a loss at how they even found my number since I changed it after I moved out of TN. My guess is they spend some money on like those police report style back ground checks when they see someone's obituary pop up / county records changes. My uncle had been living with my dad so we essentially transferred the house to my uncle for the minimum we could legally and the guy who was harassing us was just aghast.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Dip Viscous posted:

My grandmother died a few years ago and the first two lawyers my parents tried pulled me aside partway through the initial meeting with the family to ask if I wanted to try to take the house for myself.

What's the lovely part?

If the last inhabitant of the house dies, either one of the relatives wants the house, in which case it needs to be figured out how to make the inheritance fair to everyone or the house is sold to the outsiders.
Or third option is to let it rot.

My Grandma died last christmas and one of cousins ended up buying it from the estate.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"Try to take" reads as adversarial and underhanded. Destroy a family in a time of mourning for more billable hours!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Just move to a red state where everything's still cheap." :smuggo:

Time_pants posted:

Yeah, we're paying something like $1,700/mo. for a two-bedroom apartment in fukken Kansas. There is not a single place in all of Kansas worth $1,700/mo. I know. I grew up here.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

"Just move to a red state where everything's still cheap." :smuggo:

I work primarily with small towns in the Midwest and the old adage of “lower cost of living” is just gone. Moving to a lot of rural towns now means that your rent is still $1700 a month for a small house but the average wage is $40k instead of $70k in the city an hour away.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

"Try to take" reads as adversarial and underhanded. Destroy a family in a time of mourning for more billable hours!

Yeah they were making different side deals with different family members in an attempt to cause infighting and more hours when the plan was to have everything go in an estate auction.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Overheard a boomer at work bitching that he got bumped up into the "Biden tax bracket" because he got gifted a second house for free :guillotine:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Renting has got to be nuts. Got my house in 2010 when everything was super cheap. Now the people I know who are renters, only one is living by themselves. The rest all room with 3-4 people. I mean, that's fine if you get along with everyone. But holy poo poo a bunch of 50 year olds all splitting rent just boggles the mind.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Serious. I'm 39. My wife is 44. If we're lucky, we'll move into a house right around my 50th birthday.

I'm not expecting to be lucky.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
i live in a co-op and expect to basically never leave. i pay less than half the market average for my housing charge

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Moon Monster posted:

Overheard a boomer at work bitching that he got bumped up into the "Biden tax bracket" because he got gifted a second house for free :guillotine:

It's almost like a form of poetry.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

It seems like if you're under 40 and not already a homeowner, your last opportunity was right at the start of the pandemic when rich people briefly thought all the world's governments wouldn't bend over backwards to allow them to benefit from the crisis.

If you missed that window, then hopefully your parents die soon.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

The things you mentioned probably already exist, somewhere

There are already existing entire store chains that operate on the premise.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was lucky to get a condo for 198k 11 years ago. No way I'd be able afford one now, now that it's worth 600k.

Housing market sucks, doubly so here outside Vancouver.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I could afford to buy a house now. Not sure if it's a worse move to do it or not to do it. That said I was legitimately a lot better positioned to buy one 12 years ago when I had less than 1/3 the income and no savings.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

No way, burning it down just makes their job easier for them. If you get eminent domain'd, poison the gently caress out of it. Find the vilest, most mutagenic, teratogenic and carcinogenic chemicals you can get your hands on and soak the place to the floorboards. All the soil, too. Turn it into a loving superfund site.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Home ownership may be more attainable than you think. Some tips that I used to become a homeowner on a modest salary:

* Save up for a down payment by paring spending down to essentials and taking on extra hours

* Live with a roommate to split living expenses

* Ask your parents if you can use the $10000 they set aside for your wedding towards your down payment instead

* Marry an anaesthesiologist

* Buy a foreclosure for $110k in 2008 and then sell it for $550k in 2017. Roll that all into a new mortgage on your dream house at under 3% interest

I had barely over a median salary when I bought the first house so if I can do it, anyone can.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
* Did you know that crystals contain energy that reflects the soul of the universe? Try praying with one and seek lottery numbers. It could be your lucky day!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I sometimes look at land/houses to buy then I remember I'm lazy and continue to sleep in the same room I have for most of my life. It's rad it's got glow in the dark star stickers on the ceiling.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 19, 2024

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

McSpanky posted:

No way, burning it down just makes their job easier for them. If you get eminent domain'd, poison the gently caress out of it. Find the vilest, most mutagenic, teratogenic and carcinogenic chemicals you can get your hands on and soak the place to the floorboards. All the soil, too. Turn it into a loving superfund site.

One word: Methlab

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

hey man big same. got in while the gettin was good and now its just wait it out until the entire market is in a hopefully completely different place in like a decade. there may be a window in the future where its not worse and if thats not hopium i dont know what is

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Cerekk posted:

Home ownership may be more attainable than you think. Some tips that I used to become a homeowner on a modest salary:

* Save up for a down payment by paring spending down to essentials and taking on extra hours

* Live with a roommate to split living expenses

* Ask your parents if you can use the $10000 they set aside for your wedding towards your down payment instead

* Marry an anaesthesiologist

* Buy a foreclosure for $110k in 2008 and then sell it for $550k in 2017. Roll that all into a new mortgage on your dream house at under 3% interest

I had barely over a median salary when I bought the first house so if I can do it, anyone can.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you almost had me you little stinker!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

I sometimes look at land/houses to buy then I remember I'm lazy and continue to sleep in the same room I have for most of my life. It's rad it's got glow in the dark star stickers on the ceiling.

Who do I need to harass about selling this room to me for $$CASH NOW$$ when you die?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

The Moon Monster posted:

I could afford to buy a house now. Not sure if it's a worse move to do it or not to do it. That said I was legitimately a lot better positioned to buy one 12 years ago when I had less than 1/3 the income and no savings.

Yeah, I'm very conflicted. Prices keep going up and surely they have to crash, but I thought they were expensive before and the neighborhoods we're looking at have like doubled in the past few years, what the hell. Then when they raised the mortgate rates I was like well ok now it should go down and this will be the time to buy, but somehow prices are going even higher.

Oh, I'm sure the answer is that I'll buy right before the bubble bursts and I overpay for 4x for it, although who knows, maybe in a few years the current price will be a bargain.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

You know what else is cool? Daycare is $1700 a month for our youngest.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Jesus Christ, dude. I don't even know how we're still supposed to live.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I'm 100% certain the daycare workers aren't getting paid well, so what the gently caress does that money go towards? Did Blackrock buy every daycare in the country too?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Time_pants posted:

Jesus Christ, dude. I don't even know how we're still supposed to live.

Everyone I know that's a single parent had to quit their jobs because going to work was a net loss, including my sister who works in daycare.

She has only worked in daycare and quitting was less financially ruinous than putting her kids into daycare at the daycare she worked at.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm 100% certain the daycare workers aren't getting paid well, so what the gently caress does that money go towards? Did Blackrock buy every daycare in the country too?

Believe it or not, daycare is a hosed business model and probably should be a state service or so heavily subsidized as to effectively be that anyway. Depending on your state, you have 1:4 to 1:8 caretaker to children ratios required. My state is 1:6 unless it's infants, in which case 1:4. Makes sense - you can only keep an eye, effectively, on so many kids and maintain a healthy environment. Let's run with that 1:6 for this.

So, using 1:6 -- if your teacher works 10 hours at $15 an hour, their particular six kids have to cover $25 per day each just to meet the core pay. If you have any staff who aren't teachers, add theirs to that as well. If your average staffing is 2 staff per 6 kids, you're at $1K a month per kid just to cover their pay. Next add insurance, rent on the facility presumably, etc etc, and it can get really pricey in a hurry. I found a few breakdowns (from daycares, to be fair on their possible biases) that all had payroll costs making up between 70-80% of their expenses, with rent taking another enormous chunk. Rent loving sucks now for everything, so I wouldn't be surprised if that adds a ton. Beyond that, I legitimately have no idea what insurance for a day care costs. I'm guessing not much as I'd otherwise think, because rent and payroll were the big costs for all the breakdowns I saw.

This is also why daycare costs get cheaper the older your kid gets. Older kids get a higher caretaker : child ratio.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 19, 2024