Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm 100% certain the daycare workers aren't getting paid well, so what the gently caress does that money go towards? Did Blackrock buy every daycare in the country too?

1700/mo/kid is not enough to pay daycare workers well even if there were zero other expenses besides paying the people literally in the room with the children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I have repeatedly suggested offering daycare as morale/retention perks at the last three jobs and I’ve gotten laughed at every time but I know for a fact you’d have parents being ride or die for the company if you also had their childcare covered.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I hate how anybody can become a parent. A daycare? Quitting your job? What the gently caress are you doing just get a tablet and have your child watch youtube all day.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

McSpanky posted:

No way, burning it down just makes their job easier for them. If you get eminent domain'd, poison the gently caress out of it. Find the vilest, most mutagenic, teratogenic and carcinogenic chemicals you can get your hands on and soak the place to the floorboards. All the soil, too. Turn it into a loving superfund site.

The best part is you get free room and board for 10-20 years, paid for by the state!

Sadly you won't be able to leave and go to work, or see your friends, or play your videogames.

(At least in most jurisdictions I've heard of, what you're describing is a criminal offence.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sundae posted:

Believe it or not, daycare is a hosed business model and probably should be a state service or so heavily subsidized as to effectively be that anyway. Depending on your state, you have 1:4 to 1:8 caretaker to children ratios required. My state is 1:6 unless it's infants, in which case 1:4. Makes sense - you can only keep an eye, effectively, on so many kids and maintain a healthy environment. Let's run with that 1:6 for this.

So, using 1:6 -- if your teacher works 10 hours at $15 an hour, their particular six kids have to cover $25 per day each just to meet the core pay. If you have any staff who aren't teachers, add theirs to that as well. If your average staffing is 2 staff per 6 kids, you're at $1K a month per kid just to cover their pay. Next add insurance, rent on the facility presumably, etc etc, and it can get really pricey in a hurry. I found a few breakdowns (from daycares, to be fair on their possible biases) that all had payroll costs making up between 70-80% of their expenses, with rent taking another enormous chunk. Rent loving sucks now for everything, so I wouldn't be surprised if that adds a ton. Beyond that, I legitimately have no idea what insurance for a day care costs. I'm guessing not much as I'd otherwise think, because rent and payroll were the big costs for all the breakdowns I saw.

This is also why daycare costs get cheaper the older your kid gets. Older kids get a higher caretaker : child ratio.

Was the Simpsons Ayn Rand School For Tots style model where you just have 1 caretaker who checks on a room full of babies every half hour ever a real thing? As a childless person who has never worked in childcare I gotta say the adult/kid ratio seems like a nanny state gone too far making an entire industry untenable sort of thing.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I can only speak for kids over one year of age, but IME a bare minimum just to ensure the safety and health of a group of toddlers would be something like 4 staff for 18-20 kids. You can't make it work with 3 or less (and a smaller group of kids), because staff have to be able to take breaks and change diapers. Fewer kids lets you do more organized activities.

If you left more than two kids alone for 30 minutes at a time, you would have your first kid in hospital within the week. If more than 5 kids, within 30 minutes.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Was the Simpsons Ayn Rand School For Tots style model where you just have 1 caretaker who checks on a room full of babies every half hour ever a real thing? As a childless person who has never worked in childcare I gotta say the adult/kid ratio seems like a nanny state gone too far making an entire industry untenable sort of thing.

If you pack the kids in a featureless, padded room - yeah, you can up the ratio to 1:10 or so. Would I pay for that? No.

If you pack them in a room with pedagogically valuable items, 1:4 to 1:6 is the maximum. Else the place is going to look like a war zone littered with scattered furniture, toys, and crying kids.

The expectation with daycare is not just to hand your kids over to kids’ jail so you can go to work. It’s that they engage in organized play / crafts / activities / learning depending on age. Getting 6 toddlers / small children to do the same thing at a 1:6 ratio is already an amazing feat.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

You know what else is cool? Daycare is $1700 a month for our youngest.

Everyone I know with kids is getting squeezed by this. It's a huge problem right up there with housing costs. This is exactly the poo poo that will make people stop having kids.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Sundae posted:

probably should be a state service or so heavily subsidized as to effectively be that anyway.

welcome to the resistance

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Time_pants posted:

It seems like if you're under 40 and not already a homeowner, your last opportunity was right at the start of the pandemic when rich people briefly thought all the world's governments wouldn't bend over backwards to allow them to benefit from the crisis.

If you missed that window, then hopefully your parents die soon.

We lucked into it I guess. 2013 was a good time to decide to build, interest rates were low and were going to remain low for a good while.

Since covid materials prices have skyrocketed and not just because of Covid but because north american forests getting eaten by spruce bark beetles and also burning down (both climate change issues) so the americans started buying up lumber from here and raising prices across the board. I know a former colleague and her husband in their late 20s was talking about building a new house because their current one was shoddily built, but now several years later they still live in the same old house (drive past to work), despite having gotten to the blueprint stages earlier on.

Guess it got too expensive, and they revised their desires downwards multiple times when she worked here. First it was a two story classic house, then a single story smaller house, then no garage. Now nothing.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

wash bucket posted:

Everyone I know with kids is getting squeezed by this. It's a huge problem right up there with housing costs. This is exactly the poo poo that will make people stop having kids.

It's been insane to watch friends having kids over the last few years all deal with this poo poo. It's not just a matter of the financial element, but also a ridiculous constant juggling act. A non-stop routine of phone calls and interviews and desperate scrambling to find some kind of new arrangement because daycares are closing or there aren't enough seats in this age bracket, or some minor life thing changed that now makes this one not work but this one does but they're booked up a year out. People always asking you and every other friend and contact if you know anyone who might be doing it out of their home or whatever else. Everything is so structured around the assumption of there always being a stay at home parent, and even if both have to work and have what you'd classify as "good" jobs it's still not enough to make the daycare situation work comfortably. It's no exaggeration to say every single friend I have with young kids has ongoing daycare conflict.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wash bucket posted:

Will?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
google image search seems terrible these days

but yandex is good :stare:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wash bucket posted:

I remember when overpopulation was the complaint

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

ArmedZombie posted:

I remember when overpopulation was the complaint

Come to think of it, I only know one couple at or below my age with more than one kid, and as far as I know nobody's trying for a second.

Surely this combined with the massive increase in retirees projected over the next ~20 years won't spell disaster the way it has in other countries...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

USA life expectancy is plummeting which is good news for social security etc (not good news overall obv)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

USA life expectancy is plummeting which is good news for social security etc (not good news overall obv)

must cut! no retirement!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Come to think of it, I only know one couple at or below my age with more than one kid, and as far as I know nobody's trying for a second.

Surely this combined with the massive increase in retirees projected over the next ~20 years won't spell disaster the way it has in other countries...

in canada the answer has been to just ramp immigration way up. no, there's been nothing done to answer the question of why native born canadians are not having children. and no, it doesn't matter that immigrants don't want to have children either because it's still too expensive. lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
edit: nm

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A society where working folks can't afford housing, health care, and child care, does not seem built on a stable foundation.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The best country on God's green earth :colbert:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

redshirt posted:

A society where working folks can't afford housing, health care, and child care, does not seem built on a stable foundation.

That’s how it is in a free society. They chose to be too poor to afford those things. :911:

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

redshirt posted:

A society where working folks can't afford housing, health care, and child care to live, does not seem built on a stable foundation.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

You know what else is cool? Daycare is $1700 a month for our youngest.

I had 3 in daycare last year. It's ridiculous. Since 2018, for what I've paid in daycare I could've bought a brand new Corvette. The bill last year was close to twice our mortgage payment.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I feel like the tradeoff between having kids or having a Corvette has always been a thing

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

AvesPKS posted:

I had 3 in daycare last year. It's ridiculous. Since 2018, for what I've paid in daycare I could've bought a brand new Corvette. The bill last year was close to twice our mortgage payment.

When we lived in Denver, we decided not to put our infant into daycare, as the additional $1,700 were something we could technically afford, but it would have eliminated most of our monthly buffer.
Also, daycare was 8am to 3pm only, the place closed for any reason or no reason at all, and we had to bring food.

I’m a VP in a multi-billion company, and we couldn’t comfortably afford two kids in daycare in the US.

Now after relocating to the Midwest? $2,200 for both kids, 7am-6pm, including catering, and the place never closes except in case of nuclear war? Yeah, much more manageable.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

My sister has three kids and her oldest son are getting his first kid this april. I have two kids. We just met a friend who is on her 4th kid.

But I'm in Finland and the rest of the country sure isn't following suit. And we're clamping down on immigration to boot.

Birth rates are dropping despite universal healthcare and daycare being free for the poorest and a few hundred at worst (goes by income).

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

morothar posted:

When we lived in Denver, we decided not to put our infant into daycare, as the additional $1,700 were so
mething we could technically afford, but it would have eliminated most of our monthly buffer.
Also, daycare was 8am to 3pm only, the place closed for any reason or no reason at all, and we had to bring food.

I’m a VP in a multi-billion company, and we couldn’t comfortably afford two kids in daycare in the US.

Now after relocating to the Midwest? $2,200 for both kids, 7am-6pm, including catering, and the place never closes except in case of nuclear war? Yeah, much more manageable.

In Maryland, last year our bill before discounts would've been $4200 a month, for 3. And that's really not that bad, considering there are other daycares in the area that charge more.

His Divine Shadow posted:

My sister has three kids and her oldest son are getting his first kid this april. I have two kids. We just met a friend who is on her 4th kid.

But I'm in Finland and the rest of the country sure isn't following suit. And we're clamping down on immigration to boot.

Birth rates are dropping despite universal healthcare and daycare being free for the poorest and a few hundred at worst (goes by income).

Or just go to an elementary school during pickup/dropoff time to see all the siblings attending the same school. Or go to a little league practice and you'll run into plenty of people with 2, 3, 4 kids.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

AvesPKS posted:

Or just go to an elementary school during pickup/dropoff time to see all the siblings attending the same school. Or go to a little league practice and you'll run into plenty of people with 2, 3, 4 kids.

Hint: do not actually do these things

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

They found a daycare that works but when my friends were looking around there were places with waitlists of 8 years.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

1,700 a month for daycare jfc death to Amerikkka

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My partner and I make pretty good income for a mid-size Midwest metro area and we still basically have no real investments and likely won’t be able to afford a house for a very long time.

We moved out of the city, because our daughter’s school shut down due to funding, and prioritized a good school district. We got in a legitimate bidding war for a rental and ended up paying $100/month over the listed price and signing a longer lease just to get it. I have no doubt they’ll raise the rent ~15% at renewal.

We’re in our 30s and all our friends who have houses are in one or two situations:

Bought a house in 2013-18 with lots of help from parents

Bought a house in 2018-2022 with even more help from parents.

Both our parents are nearing retirement with maybe enough to live until 80 without going broke. I truly believe that we will probably have to rent until the kids move out in 12-15 years and we can just aim for a little 2-bedroom house. And that’s if we’re lucky. Even then we very well may be priced out of living anywhere with a decent school district in the next few years.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I just love how all of this being framed as us being a generation that "values mobility," and "prefers renting to ownership." No, we prefer renting to homelessness.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I just love how all of this being framed as us being a generation that "values mobility," and "prefers renting to ownership." No, we prefer renting to homelessness.

Oh you millennials and your quirky #vanlife.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Another kid-related complaint: kids get so many days off from school now. I know this is for the benefit of the teachers and their development and lesson building time, but it sucks. At least 2-3 times a month, outside all the breaks and holidays and regular in-service days, the school just lets kids out on a Friday.

They had a full week off for spring break (which we never got growing up, ours was Wed-Fri), and then when I pulled into school on the following Monday they said “oh we’re closed today too”.

It’s not a huge problem for us because my partner is fully remote and I’m hybrid, but I cannot imagine being parents who work retail or manufacturing or travel or whatever and having an extra 3-4 days a month where your kid is just home on a Tuesday. Better have a grandma nearby or pay an extra $500 a month for ad hoc babysitting.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's because they don't want to pay for the teachers op

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's quite something to see The Simpsons go from the prototypical cartoon American family - where they could buy a house on a single-income and Homer's greatest life struggle was that he had a cushy but boring job, to say, The Belchers from Bob's Burgers. The Belchers rent their tiny apartment they squish all their kids into and are frequently late on their rent, with the only reason they're not kicked out being that their landlord is a rich eccentric layabout who likes him because Bob reminds him of his dad, so he isn't willing to put in the effort to chase Bob out as long as the money comes semi-regularly enough. There's an episode where Bob finally buys Linda a belated engagement ring, and he's having to pay the $329 ring off over 24 months with interest. Bob's 'American Dream' scenario they play up that even though he doesn't own a house, or earn much money with his sleepy restaurant, he's his own boss and he's doing what he enjoys, and making just barely enough to support a family. I guess that's the best you can hope for nowadays, yeh.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 19, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The ever increasing population couldn't possibly spell disaster for everybody and everything.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

redshirt posted:

this shows a fundamental understanding of the quiet magic of market forces, of course (real) people can afford these things! When (real) people can't afford them, they'll naturally stabilize.

For real though, daycare costs are so high and my wages are sufficiently depressed that it's cheaper for me to work less and see my kid more.

Don't want to think about rent most days. And the accumulation that's been extracted from us, and how it could have bought a pretty nice house in 2005 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

My partner got paid $17/hr to teach at a Montessori toddler school. Assistant teachers made $15/hr. The director was pulling in like $500k/year and they made the teachers pay for their own certifications.

Mrs. Auxiliary is a nanny now and she makes bank. I also nannied for roughly a decade and every family told me it was cheaper to hire me 3-4 days a week than 5 days/wk of daycare.

poo poo's on fire, yo.