Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gangringo posted:

The engine it runs on runs on IOS/Android, there are unofficial programs that will port it. I run it on my android phone.

:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

apparently it's using the Love lua-based cross-platform game engine so it's actually fairly trivial to just repackage it with the mobile versions of the engine or something

I'm surprised they haven't released it on android/ios if it's that simple but I'm sure they want to ensure it gets enough testing and android can be a nightmare with different devices

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If I was the dev, I wouldn't waste a second porting to Android because nobody using Android is gonna pay for it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I really appreciate that they added touch screen controls to the switch port. Hell plenty of first party games that could use touch screen don't bother with that. They're quite good too I played a round one handed last night on the piss eating a slice of kebab shop pizza

mystes
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If I was the dev, I wouldn't waste a second porting to Android because nobody using Android is gonna pay for it
I probably will just because it's a game that would be so suited to playing on my phone while waiting or something. I have luck be a landlord for that too but I'm a bit sick of it right now

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i'm gonna pay for it because the dev deserves money for putting out a good rear end game

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I can't really imagine playing on a small screen

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mystes posted:

I probably will just because it's a game that would be so suited to playing on my phone while waiting or something. I have luck be a landlord for that too but I'm a bit sick of it right now

I know the developer said that they were inspired by Luck Be A Landlord, but I ran out of steam on that game after getting to Floor 12 and brain dead builds like Oops All Chickens was easy to put together from the first spin. And there’s not a ton of reason to try something different. It was smart for Balatro to have different decks, different challenges, etc. Also Endless Mode after <spoiler> really isn’t fun and kills any challenge.

Glad I bought and played it, but also glad I bought it on sale.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I can't really imagine playing on a small screen

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe they'll also change the UI somehow to make it more smartphone friendly?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Got the other two final challenges done, took me not even an hour. Cruelty was helped by two solid negative jokers, which having brought me to 5 total kinda felt like cheating. With Jokerless I was able to convert the deck into hearts very quickly, and got a nice blue seal that let me get flushes up to level 20 or something. Now to keep going for stakes :shepface:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

New point high score

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mystes posted:

Maybe they'll also change the UI somehow to make it more smartphone friendly?
Yeah, it sounds like Localthunk wants to make sure the UI is polished and good on mobile, including portrait-orientation support.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You motherfucker the Run was Perfect I just needed a Single Way to reroll from Bad Blinds.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Petanque posted:

It took several hours and dozens of false starts but I beat the Golden Needle! Kind of funny that the end boss scrambled Acrobat before the other mult cards and I still won handily. Not shown was the deck which was nearly half face cards with like 11 Jacks.

Definitely the hardest (meaning most RNG) challenge in the game - I think I ended up rerolling hundreds of times just to get out of ante 1 with a stable econ/joker set

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Is attempting to downgrade the deck to two suits and aiming for flush/straights/full houses a viable tactic to get through the standard decks? All the scientific notation stuff looks rad but I figure I need to power through and unlock some more stuff if I'm just starting out.

By just starting out I mean I already beat the standard difficulty through to the green deck and have somehow lost fifteen hours in a week to this fucken game

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

After losing so many promising runs with amazing cards (including one with a Canio that stopped seeing Tarot cards) I finally cleared Gold Needle thanks to the power of Straights.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

I, Butthole posted:

Is attempting to downgrade the deck to two suits and aiming for flush/straights/full houses a viable tactic to get through the standard decks? All the scientific notation stuff looks rad but I figure I need to power through and unlock some more stuff if I'm just starting out.

By just starting out I mean I already beat the standard difficulty through to the green deck and have somehow lost fifteen hours in a week to this fucken game

Generally if your deck mod is good enough to get it down to two suits, it's good enough to get it all the way down to one, but really unless you're trying to force a Jokerless-esque situation or can consistently produce all of one kind of card, you really just want to go with whatever the game hands you Joker-wise and build off of that, especially so early on.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought this game on both switch and steam and I would probably buy it again on phone honestly. Looking this up did make me realize monster train is on phone now

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Kinda? Your main engine is usually going to be getting jokers that give fairly generic bonuses; the actual hands you play often don't matter that much outside of early antes when you don't have good jokers to work with. Trying to skew your suits generally doesn't hurt, but it's not really something to focus on unless you have a lot of support for flushes.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

I would say viable, but not reliable. There are lots of bosses that gently caress with your hand size, your ability to discard, or what suits/cards you can play, so you can get locked out in short order If you're spending all of your money on arcana to pare down your suits.

Don't get me wrong, flushes are maybe one of the easiest hands to fish for by discarding, but you would be better served by focusing first on getting broad jokers that give you flat bonuses to your multiplier and chips, while using arcana cards like empress or hierophant to push your playing cards a little further.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Now, if you got something like hallucination or vagabond, that's a different story, because then you can reliably generate your own tarot cards without relying on the generosity of the store

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

finally got my gold stake win with this deck, maybe the rarest cheevo (in terms of %) I've ever gotten for a steam game. after 90 hours and nothing left to unlock but a few more jokers, i think i might retire and try to forget this shameful phase of my life where I turned into a crusty old video poker addict

e: had Hallucination for much of the run but swapped it for Mr. Bones towards the end for a little insurance

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 20, 2024

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

finally got my gold stake win with this deck, maybe the rarest cheevo (in terms of %) I've ever gotten for a steam game. after 90 hours and nothing left to unlock but a few more jokers, i think i might retire and try to forget this shameful phase of my life where I turned into a crusty old video poker addict

e: had Hallucination for much of the run but swapped it for Mr. Bones towards the end for a little insurance

Hope you enjoy your retirement, we'll see you tomorrow

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Just had my best run, somehow lucking into a red seal steel king deck without really hunting for it initially. I got a ridiculous economy via Gold Mask and the "all cards are face cards" joker, and from there was able to reroll my way into some higher antes.

I could have gone further but never saw a Brainstorm, and I had to sell my Showman to get past the boss blind.

Really fun run. I'm probably never beating my last four challenges.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Kins posted:

Yeah, it sounds like Localthunk wants to make sure the UI is polished and good on mobile, including portrait-orientation support.

That seems like the last hurdle to me, the touch control on switch is pretty much flawless. They could just port that and force landscape mode and it would be great, but i get not wanting to push it out without portrait.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

the holy poopacy posted:

Kinda? Your main engine is usually going to be getting jokers that give fairly generic bonuses; the actual hands you play often don't matter that much outside of early antes when you don't have good jokers to work with. Trying to skew your suits generally doesn't hurt, but it's not really something to focus on unless you have a lot of support for flushes.
I'd disagree with this, especially in the new patch where planet scaling has been buffed and jokers have been nerfed (via rental/perishable stickers on high stakes). Your end-game build is normally going to want a decent source of chips, a decent source of multiplier, and then as much x-multiplier as you can find. If you can find jokers that give lots of chips and multiplier to any hand, then yeah, your base hand doesn't matter that much and you should maybe consider things like pair/high card. If you don't, though, then the high-tier hands (straight flush, four/five of a kind, flush house, flush five, straight) scale incredibly well with planets. If you can consistently play something like a level 6 flush house that's going to be +29 multiplier and +340 chips, compared to +12 multiplier and +110 chips from a level 6 flush. That's the equivalent of a good +multiplier joker and a great +chips joker that don't take up joker slots. If you can get a strong reroll economy up and running, or maybe a well-timed telescope, then level 11 is a pretty reasonable goal, and at that point you're looking at +44 mult/+540 chips versus +22 mult/+185 chips. I will absolutely try to skew my suits if I'm given the chance.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I, Butthole posted:

I generally played flush builds when I was starting, but when you've got more xMult and higher chip cards available I've found it's a lot easier to make high card, pair, and two pair decks work. I always played flush builds with checkered decks, but otherwise unless you have like The Tribe I'd avoid it

Jordan7hm posted:

Balatro is on iOS?

I'm playing on Steam on a macbook, that's what I meant.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
There is this, which should have just used a different name if it wanted to not get banned. “Wild Joker Deckbuilder”. But maybe they made it fast enough to get cash before the eventual challenge and take down. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/balatro-poker/id6478941798

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I had a dream I was playing multiplayer Balatro that was like 4-person and the critical dream insight here is that the jokers were shared and random. Although it definitely involved betting so I think that might get the rating bumped up and get it banned or whatever.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kind of silly just how much easier Cruelty can be versus Gold Needle. This was my first attempt, though I did get super lucky and got both of the Ante-down vouchers to let me ramp Square Joker viua 2 Pair and High Card.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Smoking weed playing cards
Call it Bowlatro

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Smoking weed playing cards
Call it Bowlatro

When im sober I tryhard every run and play it out

when high I hold R about fifty times until my first shop has a banger joker and I just coast on it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

One day I'll know how many runs I lost to one missing piece

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

pumpinglemma posted:

I'd disagree with this, especially in the new patch where planet scaling has been buffed and jokers have been nerfed (via rental/perishable stickers on high stakes). Your end-game build is normally going to want a decent source of chips, a decent source of multiplier, and then as much x-multiplier as you can find. If you can find jokers that give lots of chips and multiplier to any hand, then yeah, your base hand doesn't matter that much and you should maybe consider things like pair/high card. If you don't, though, then the high-tier hands (straight flush, four/five of a kind, flush house, flush five, straight) scale incredibly well with planets. If you can consistently play something like a level 6 flush house that's going to be +29 multiplier and +340 chips, compared to +12 multiplier and +110 chips from a level 6 flush. That's the equivalent of a good +multiplier joker and a great +chips joker that don't take up joker slots. If you can get a strong reroll economy up and running, or maybe a well-timed telescope, then level 11 is a pretty reasonable goal, and at that point you're looking at +44 mult/+540 chips versus +22 mult/+185 chips. I will absolutely try to skew my suits if I'm given the chance.

yeah a really nice thing about the design of the new patch is it'll let you use strong hands with planet support as an alternative to being almost entirely reliant on jokers+weak hands to clear high stakes. I think that was the #1 gripe of everyone, regardless of play level, of the high stake restrictions on the original patch.

I'm on switch so I still have to put up with it for a while but it's p clear when climbing up to orange on basically any deck that being able to play consistent strong hands is not just a valid but a good approach to winning when the opportunity presents itself. Balatro university slammed a jokerless gold stake win on abandoned the other day to highlight how strong blue seals are (and maybe that the saturn buff was perhaps a bit much) but it really does go to show you that without the handsize/pack penalty of orange/gold it's no longer unfeasible to chase high point hands.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I didn't get a pic but I got my highest scoring run yet beating orange stake with square joker, ride the bus and the joker that gives X mult for kings in hand and just turned as many cards into steel kings as I possibly could. God I wish I had seen pierre the retrigger in hand effects bloke at any point BC that might have gone infinite. I petered out about ante fifteen but tbh I probably made a bunch of mistakes that could have gotten me further if I'd realised. How do you guys get so many good jokers with negative on them? Is it really just jamming that spectral pack card once 1 hand a round isn't a detriment anymore?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Jokerless is done, and I am free of the challenges!

An early Spectral pack turned a bunch of cards into 8s, and I used a Death on a Blue seal 10 I pulled out of standard pack to keep feeding me Mars cards. I didn't see Telescope until Ante 8 so I'm really grateful to those seals.

Honestly I thought I was screwed when I saw Violet Vessel pop up, but thankfully I had about $50 on that last store to fish for Tarots to help get me a few more 8s and slap some bonuses on them.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Well that was infuriating. I had 2/7 jokers that tanked me if the boss selected them on the first hand and three that tanked me if the boss selected them on the second through fourth, and it went 4/4.

To add insult to injury, I had to roll out of Verdant Leaf because Perkeo was the sticker I needed and Vagabond/Hack were both eternal, and then I got the negative Greedy joker that would have been an easy pass through it at the last shop.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Naively, I assumed the Mad World challenge -- where Pareidolia (making all cards face cards) is mandatory -- would stop you from encountering The Plant (which debuffs every face card)

I was wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

overeager overeater posted:

Naively, I assumed the Mad World challenge -- where Pareidolia (making all cards face cards) is mandatory -- would stop you from encountering The Plant (which debuffs every face card)

I was wrong

I think it's kind of funny, I think it's kind of sad