Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

overeager overeater posted:

Naively, I assumed the Mad World challenge -- where Pareidolia (making all cards face cards) is mandatory -- would stop you from encountering The Plant (which debuffs every face card)

I was wrong

I believe they've fixed this in the beta patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

4th gold stake done, Plasma deck. :toot:

Managed to get 2 runners (upgrades +10 chips per straight) up to the 200s and a well timed perishable odd todd to help carry the end. (also a 200 chip bull helps, lmao)

Gonna miss that "Balanced!" sound effect, ngl

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Been running the challenges, and getting an early Brainstorm that I then doubled up with a Spectral Pack which I was then able to use to triple up on a Vampire made the Medusa challenge a fun breeze as I kept chiseling them stones into +.6%xMult per.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's been four hours, give any other boss than Violet Vessel on this attempt to win in 12 rounds you gently caress

e: Finally lmao, Stuntman and Anaglyph deck saves the day

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 22, 2024

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Down to 14 gold stickers to get Completionist++:

- Pareidolia*
- Business Card*
- To Do List
- Midas Mask*
- Juggler
- Stone Joker*
- Ancient Joker
- Seltzer
- Glass Joker
- The Trio
- The Family
- The Tribe*
- Chicot
- Perkeo*

Starred ones I've taken to ante 8 on gold stake before, or in the case of Pareidolia I had to sell out of a negative copy because of The Mark on ante 5 of what would go on to be a successful run.

The Family might be my pick for worst gold stake joker pre-patch, I don't know if I've had a single run where I wanted to go for a four of a kind build

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

me and a mate ground out the last three challenges (Needle, Cruelty, Jokerless) yesterday and today. the strat was essentially the same for all, amass Aces, a mix of glass and steel, red seals where possible, and pump 4 of a kind. hangman as much as possible, keep the suits varied, you don't need the flush five, too risky with the bosses. with the patched Magician giving 2 lucky cards they're also a nail-biting way of getting by until you've got your glassteels operation running.

all in all none of them were as rough as I was expecting, tons of fun, hope he adds more challenges in future.

back to gold sealing the decks one by one I guess

^^ oh hello previous poster, four of a kind rules and given just one extra steel is always better than five/flush five. try it!

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 22, 2024

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Start Golden Needle challenge: Slam pick DNA as my first joker

Fail

Start Jokerless challenge: Slam pick buffoon pack in first shop

:negative:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
buffoon packs showing up in jokerless is kinda funny

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think it's just the 1st shop guaranteed one, but there may be more; I haven't dug into Jokerless much yet.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Scholtz posted:

I think it's just the 1st shop guaranteed one, but there may be more; I haven't dug into Jokerless much yet.

Buffoon packs are listed in the banned section on the challenge restriction, so it is indeed just the 1st shop guaranteed one.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

probably just a minor overlook that will be fixed in main patch release

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Why can't I beat the Green Stake, argh

Is it just pure luck, getting high powered jokers early or what? Is a certain deck easier on the Green Stake?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

smoobles posted:

Is it just pure luck, getting high powered jokers early or what? Is a certain deck easier on the Green Stake?

My guess with no other info would be unoptimal economy management. But when in the run do you tend to die?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

smoobles posted:

Gonna have to get green on all decks anyway

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
What kind of play time should I expect before winning a very first basic run? I feel like everything I'm trying to do is getting cucked by bad luck. I know the OP says to get jokers that do chips and multi, but the best run I had I got that -1$ per card played boss blind one and then I stalled out unable to improve because I was massively in debt.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I played for hours before getting a win, you'll get better as you learn which jokers are good and which are JOKES

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

For whom the joker tolls :hb:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neon Belly posted:

For whom the joker tolls :hb:

Not me, based on Typecast giving me perhaps two jokers an attempt tops

e: Actually, drawing anything but a high card when I DO get to ante 5 would be great too, thanks. Got blueprint, brainstorm, card sharp, baron, and two negative tags upcoming and it just wouldn't do it

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 23, 2024

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Just had a fun run: double blueprint, burnt joker, DNA, and the .25+xmulti for every card added. I leveled up pair 3x every round, made 3 copies of my best card, and tripled the xmulti. By the end, pair level was around 90 and my xmulti was over 20x. I finally tapped out at the 13th small blind.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

I got jokered!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I am taking ride the bus every time I see it offered ante 1 and you can't stop me

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I am taking ride the bus every time I see it offered ante 1 and you can't stop me

Just got ride the bus early on abandoned deck on gold stake, followed by an early eternal stuntman.

Surely the spectral deck would apply the polychrome to my ride the bus and leave me with a run stomping combo?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Sometimes Balatro just wants to hurt you.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

smoobles posted:

So far I've only beaten Green Stake with the Yellow, Checkered and Plasma Decks, though of course you won't have access to Plasma yet (and unless you've won with the infamous Black Deck you won't have access to Checkered either). I'd recommend trying Yellow Deck, the +$10 starting money is really +$12 thanks to interest and having that extra starting money gives you more chances to, like you say, get lucky with a powerful early joker, whether through a reroll or simply being able to capitalise on opportunities by affording some amazing joker that showed up randomly in the first shop.

Of course you do have to win Green Stake with all jokers eventually, but you've gotta start somewhere, and Yellow is definitely a good option there.

e: unrelatedly, I made a spreadsheet of my stake progress to date because that's the kind of silly thing I do. I like how immediately upon beating Blue Stake with one deck and unlocking Plasma Deck, I also get Plasma Deck up to Blue Stake :v:

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 23, 2024

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
https://twitter.com/maxbittker/status/1782645521888247956

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

now this is podracing :patriot:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Lucked out and got a royal flush that I could discard in the first blind to unlock a joker. Shockingly I was actually able to pull together and still beat the blind anyway and continue the game. Interested to see the interactions between that joker and blueprint

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
if self.ability.name == 'Space Joker' then {
return false;
}

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

return false;
}

Lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I'm patient or lucky enough for Jokerless lmao

LifeLynx posted:

return false;
}

Hey this is just the same logic as Bloodstone!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Okay seriously how the gently caress do you win? Like, even once? Every time I feel like I have a good setup it's throwing something at me to directly counter what I'm doing. Got Pair up to level 10 (partially for achievement, partially because I had the joker for multi on 3 or fewer cards played) and it gave me a boss blind that sets money to 0 if you play a pair. I had a really good set up just now with a good mix of chip add, multiplier, starting to get a really good deck going then it throws "The Wall" at me and does a boss blind that's like three times higher than what it should be. What the gently caress is going on? If I wanted to get hosed over and countered for a specific build path I'd just go slam my head against the loving Battle Tower in pokemon

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
flushes are the easy path for beating ante 8 since they're easy to make and offer good scoring with five cards

part of it is just getting good enough to recognize that it's less slamming your face into a wall and more bouncing around like a rubber ball through runs

also the "sets your money to $0 if you play a pair" uses whatever hand you played the most, not just pairs.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

flushes are the easy path for beating ante 8 since they're easy to make and offer good scoring with five cards

part of it is just getting good enough to recognize that it's less slamming your face into a wall and more bouncing around like a rubber ball through runs

This is good advice. A lot of this game is grabbing whatever leverage you can and pulling as much as it will allow you. Flushes are a good bad discard wise obviously because there's 13 to a suit, and with tarot cards you can get that up too 16 19 21 pretty quickly. Not to mention the suit specific Jokers That give plus four for every scored card. The downside is bosses which Nerf particular suits, or set your money to zero if you play your most played hand.

I bet you would have more success If you went for jokers that can be upgraded, or allowed you to manipulate your deck. Vagabond is a good example a card that encourages you to be fluid and spend a lot of money, gives you tarot cards to ensure flushes, add mult/chips to cards, etc. hallucination is another really great one that can potentially get you double value for every booster. Temperance alone is a good reason to go this route for the economic freedom it gives you.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I say this as somebody who really overlooked tarot cards when I first started playing and was just fishing for the most synergistic Jokers every game. It's cool when synergies happen and a big part of getting far, but often you really have to Make your own luck

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I say this as somebody who really overlooked tarot cards when I first started playing and was just fishing for the most synergistic Jokers every game. It's cool when synergies happen and a big part of getting far, but often you really have to Make your own luck

Yeah I had a run recently where my jokers were pretty trash but I ended up finding so many tarot cards that my deck was mega buffed. + chips and mult all over the place really carried me through

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This game is a lot of fun, but drat a lot of it comes down to random luck. I have not yet made it through a run and have gotten to Ante 8 like 4-5 times. I think the problem for me is that you always start from nothing and you can't even pick like one starting Joker to make things a little easier.

In general I have had the best success by going for Jokers/Planet cards that level up my Two Pairs, since those are pretty easy to have in your hand the majority of the time. But once I get to around Ante 7/8 it's hard to get enough chips per round.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

This game is a lot of fun, but drat a lot of it comes down to random luck. I have not yet made it through a run and have gotten to Ante 8 like 4-5 times. I think the problem for me is that you always start from nothing and you can't even pick like one starting Joker to make things a little easier.

on the new patch you get a guaranteed joker and buffoon pack in the first shop, which helps a lot.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Nucular Carmul posted:

Okay seriously how the gently caress do you win? Like, even once? Every time I feel like I have a good setup it's throwing something at me to directly counter what I'm doing. Got Pair up to level 10 (partially for achievement, partially because I had the joker for multi on 3 or fewer cards played) and it gave me a boss blind that sets money to 0 if you play a pair. I had a really good set up just now with a good mix of chip add, multiplier, starting to get a really good deck going then it throws "The Wall" at me and does a boss blind that's like three times higher than what it should be. What the gently caress is going on? If I wanted to get hosed over and countered for a specific build path I'd just go slam my head against the loving Battle Tower in pokemon

Get a joker that gives you chips

Get a joker that gives you mult

Get a joker that gives you xmult

Play whatever hand triggers those jokers the most and use tarot cards to increase the odds of drawing this hand.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Of course as soon as I get the legendary Joker that disables all boss blind effects I faceplant on a random blind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Papes posted:

Get a joker that gives you chips

Get a joker that gives you mult

Get a joker that gives you xmult

Play whatever hand triggers those jokers the most and use tarot cards to increase the odds of drawing this hand.

if you can get jokers that can scale and give you more of these things as your run progresses that's even better