Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Of course as soon as I get the legendary Joker that disables all boss blind effects I faceplant on a random blind

good, that is the worst one anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have lost a lot of runs from just the boss blind effect so it could have saved me

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Most of the time I'd rather just take directors cut. Way more common, is a voucher and doesn't take up a joker slot, only costs $10 plus another $10 if you actually need to use it.

It's definitely saved my rear end before.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I just lost at BALATRO. The jokers hosed me 😡😡😡😡

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

GoutPatrol posted:

good, that is the worst one anyway

I've gotten the soul spectral card 5 times in the last 24 hours and it was that one every time wtf

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Get a joker that gives +mult in the first ante. Coast through the next two antes while picking up something that gives you money. Try to get to a place where you're getting $15-20 a round. every shop buy packs, vouchers, and reroll for tarots and jokers.

The boss blinds won't repeat, so if you get one that fucks a certain strategy early, you can safely invest in that strategy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

smoobles posted:

I just lost at BALATRO. The jokers hosed me 😡😡😡😡
Would you say you are...Jokerfied?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

they're called jokers because they must be joking!!!

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
I dunno whether it's discouraging or encouraging but I've heard it said that white stake is probably close to 100% winnable which makes sense to me. I lost my tutorial on red, won my next run on blue, and probably went somewhere between 50-75% winrate on the rest of the white stakes. The score requirement is low enough that you can get away with a ton of faffing about, having something even super meh tier like jolly joker (+8 mult on hands containing pairs) can carry you entirely through the first couple antes, and some of the better commons can essentially carry you through the whole game. If you do get into it and make the climb up to gold and go back down to white to dick around on another deck it really stands out how much runway you have comparatively.

I'd say if you're consistently losing and have already read/understand the "Get +mult, +chips, and xmult jokers to make score go high" it's probably just poor management of knowing when to get what and what hands you play for. Essentially what you should be looking at when you play is "what did the hand I just played score", "how likely is it that I can play that hand again", and "how many points does the next blind need". If the next blind is at or less than 2 of that hand and you're statistically likely to be able to play 2 of that hand then you're fine, if not then you're not and should adjust course immediately. As you get used to that sort of mentality you'll be able to look a couple steps ahead and start making better decisions about whether or not you need to crack a pack, whether or not you need to pick up an extra joker that's not run defining, etc.

Oh also stop holding two pair in hand and discarding for full houses unless your deck is already shaped for it. I know it seems like it shouldn't be that hard to get but since you already have 4 of the cards you're looking for in your hand the odds are in fact not great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Finally beat a run, about time

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Papes posted:

Get a joker that gives you chips

Get a joker that gives you mult

Get a joker that gives you xmult

Play whatever hand triggers those jokers the most and use tarot cards to increase the odds of drawing this hand.

I had a really nice classic run of Castle, Dagger and Obelisk yesterday, got them all early. Picked up a riff-raff to feed the Dagger and fed the riff-raff to him right before the final boss. Obelisk was operated by pumping Pair until ante 5, then switched to High Card. Easy.

maybe beginners should focus on doing joker unlock quests, having a larger collection gives you more tools to play with

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Just a beautiful start to Jokerless

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
A lot of the "how do I win", in my experience, is missing that "setup that squeaks through ante 8" is not the Charmander to "setup that goes exponential"'s Charizard, it's straight up a different path.

Doing ante 8 and getting the sticker on the deck and the unlock takes around one each of chips, mult, and xmult, with two and any negatives slots free to have alternate options in case of a bad boss that isn't Violet Vessel. And you can dump your entire warchest into rerolling for idk Blue Joker + Green Joker or Supernova if it didn't pan out + Cavendish or Ramen or Baseball Card.

Going exponential, on the other hand, is something to try for if you have most of the pieces fall in early or if you've already done the official clear. It's harder to put together and it definitely demands that you take that "what if I need to reroll ten times" budget and pump it into tarots and spectrals instead. Aiming for this because it's big numbers is a run-killer if the run is already marginal, while you can faceroll with decent success straight through gold stakes if you're OK with dropping on 9 big or 10 small.

But also, if you're going for OK deck a source of boss reroll/neutralization is often important in a way that it isn't when you're going to the moon.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 24, 2024

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I finally did it. Rocket got to $17 a round, Spare Pants multiplier was 44 when I finally beat ante 8. I pretty much ended up clearing the whole shop out every time lmao

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Hell yeah!! Spare trousers is easily one of the best cards in the game, I have won multiple times with it

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Anything that triggers on two pairs should also trigger on four of a kind. It's literally two pairs, just of the same rank.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Gangringo posted:

Anything that triggers on two pairs should also trigger on four of a kind. It's literally two pairs, just of the same rank.

Does it not? I don't know about spare trousers specifically but I know there are lots of cards that have the caveat of "contains a x" So that it's still procs Even when the actual scored poker hand is different

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Does it not? I don't know about spare trousers specifically but I know there are lots of cards that have the caveat of "contains a x" So that it's still procs Even when the actual scored poker hand is different

The logic doesn't quite work as expected around hands that are combinations of hands. The logic to find two pairs and full houses seems to look for a pair/3ok, and then look for a pair in the remaining cards, and then trigger, while say 4ok builds a hand that includes a pair (activating one conditional) but then fails on the check for whether cards not bumped for scoring on the first pass also contain a pair (because there's only one left.)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
There's a difference between "hand contains" and "(name of hand) is played" the latter requires the scored hand to be the named one. That said it is kinda annoying that a four of a kind doesn't trigger the pants

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

There's a difference between "hand contains" and "(name of hand) is played" the latter requires the scored hand to be the named one. That said it is kinda annoying that a four of a kind doesn't trigger the pants

Spare Pants is "hand contains two pair", though. It triggers off Full House just fine.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Gangringo posted:

Hard disagree

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It annoys me too but the hands page in the run info explicitly specifies "2 pairs of cards with different ranks".

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Does it trigger on flush 5 or 5 of a kind I wonder? I'm guessing not

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
Finally beat x-ray vision which had been stumping me for a few days. I got close with flushes and close with high card and close with pair but kept blowing it. eventually settled on 'get good jokers gently caress the hands' and hey whaddya know, that worked.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

drat I think I found almost the ultimate combo with-

Holo Fibonacci
Spare Trousers
Ramen
Card Sharp
Baseball Card

The first four are all uncommon so Baseball Card gives me a like 1000+ mult on some hands

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I've heard people talk poo poo about card sharp and I don't get it at all. X3 multiplier with minimum setup is so good that I get it every time. Usually to get multiplier that high You have to fulfill some sort of condition (contain a three of a kind, use so many planet cards, feed vampire 15 enhanced cards). Meanwhile with card sharp and a telescope You can print money like the treasury off of high cards

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Card sharp is great but does get shut down hard by several bosses, especially if you're doing anything other than high card.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yeah I've used Card Sharp a few times and it can be fun, but it leaves me living in fear of, say, an Ante 7 The Eye or The Needle.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 24, 2024

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nucular Carmul posted:

Okay seriously how the gently caress do you win? Like, even once? Every time I feel like I have a good setup it's throwing something at me to directly counter what I'm doing. Got Pair up to level 10 (partially for achievement, partially because I had the joker for multi on 3 or fewer cards played) and it gave me a boss blind that sets money to 0 if you play a pair. I had a really good set up just now with a good mix of chip add, multiplier, starting to get a really good deck going then it throws "The Wall" at me and does a boss blind that's like three times higher than what it should be. What the gently caress is going on? If I wanted to get hosed over and countered for a specific build path I'd just go slam my head against the loving Battle Tower in pokemon

For what it’s worth, it took me several hours of playing before things clicked and I got my first win, and then I slowly started to win more as I got more experience.

Balatro has a lot of moving pieces, and the boss blinds are set up to counter specific strategies. You either have to be flexible enough to get past the blind that hard counters you, or strong enough to bully your way through it.

For example, if The Wall is coming up I’ll see how much my hands are scoring on the small blind, and if I am behind I’ll dump all my money into whatever strength I can get. +Mult or +Chip Tarot cards (especially if you can hold them in your inventory), Planet cards, Hang man to make it easier to hit my strongest hand, or even just fishing for a better Joker.

Sometimes you do just lose though, regardless of the stakes. The game fucks you and you can’t draw the 1 card for your Flush, Gros Michel dies before you have cash to replace it, you stop seeing Tarot packs when you have the Joker that scales on tarot cards played, etc.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The ability to reroll the boss blind is really really good and I prioritise the voucher highly whenever it comes up. It feels like on most of my runs there are one or two bosses that could absolutely gently caress me, and $10 now and $10 later in order to not die is a pretty good deal.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

Nemo2342 posted:

For what it’s worth, it took me several hours of playing before things clicked and I got my first win, and then I slowly started to win more as I got more experience.

Same, I wasn't able to win at all for the first couple hours, and I didn't understand why other people could seemingly win so easily. I think it's a few things: you get better, you unlock more jokers and cards, and you start to get better on abandoning runs that aren't going anywhere -- usually just by playing them out, but if you realize the futility, it's less frustrating to let them lose.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I've heard people talk poo poo about card sharp and I don't get it at all. X3 multiplier with minimum setup is so good that I get it every time. Usually to get multiplier that high You have to fulfill some sort of condition (contain a three of a kind, use so many planet cards, feed vampire 15 enhanced cards). Meanwhile with card sharp and a telescope You can print money like the treasury off of high cards
I assume theyre talking poo poo about it from the perspective that we all already know it's one of the best in the game.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Cruelty down, just Golden Needle and Jokerless left ahahaHAHAHAHA aaaaaaaahhh

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Aipsh posted:

Cruelty down, just Golden Needle and Jokerless left ahahaHAHAHAHA aaaaaaaahhh

Same, plus Double or Nothing. I really don't see how to beat that one without getting insanely lucky.

I honestly didn't think Cruelty was all that hard, but I also had a ~+2000 Wee Joker by the end.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

lmao

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

WhiteHowler posted:

Same, plus Double or Nothing. I really don't see how to beat that one without getting insanely lucky.

I honestly didn't think Cruelty was all that hard, but I also had a ~+2000 Wee Joker by the end.

For Double or Nothing you focus on jokers that don’t require the cards to provide the score. So the High Card / Pair strats work, or really anything where you can get all the chips and mult off the jokers and hand played.

Also applying an enhancement to a debuffed card will activate it again if you’d rather try to go hard on tarot cards.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Been banging my head against a wall trying to beat orange stakes. Have tried yellow deck mostly and I've gotten to the last boss blind multiple times but keep coming up short.

I assume I should just be restarting any run where I don't get some decent money making potential by ante 2? Are there any other easy decks to do this with?

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Also finally hitting a hard wall at Orange, also playing yellow.

I've had three really promising runs fall behind and fizzle out Ante 6/7. Negative Rocket Ante 1 just could not find xmult ever, Pants/Square Combo Ante 1 that died to "No Repeat Hands". Some wacky Boots/Hallucination/Whatever combo that kept chugging along by the skin of its teeth all the way to A7 boss and missed by like 1k.

This is the real Balataro.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Certainly a lot more thinking is done when it comes to what to spend money on and when to take or not take the eternal jokers. So many times I've made a choice only to regret it after another round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Nemo2342 posted:

For Double or Nothing you focus on jokers that don’t require the cards to provide the score. So the High Card / Pair strats work, or really anything where you can get all the chips and mult off the jokers and hand played.

Also applying an enhancement to a debuffed card will activate it again if you’d rather try to go hard on tarot cards.

Welp, next run I did this and it worked great. I didn't realize that enhancing a debuffed card would activate it (but only if the card hadn't previous been enhanced, apparently), so I was able to use that to refresh a few cards with Steel and Gold.

I got the Violet Vessel and blew it away in one hand with red seal steel queens in hand, Shoot the Moon, and a ridiculously inflated Pair hand.

Golden Needle would be a fun challenge if not for the $1 per discard. Jokerless just... sucks. They should have at least made it so Buffoon packs no longer show up in the store, so you at least have a better chance at the other packs.