Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I leaned something new today.

If you get your hand size down to zero, you immediately lose as soon as you start the next round.

Here's a seed it's pretty easy to do it with: YA3YS4U6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Twitch streamer Billy1Kirby is currently on Ante 29. Target score is 2.7e135, and he's going to win at least this round.

It's the typical red seal king/Baron Cryptid deck, but I've never seen one quite this crazy.

The really impressive part is this isn't a seeded run. He just chanced on the god combo of jokers and spectral cards.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 5, 2024

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

vogonity posted:

This is bonkers. I feel puny.

Now on Ante 32, target blind is 2.7e179.

He's going to run out of Cryptids soon. Basically the only hope to go much further is to hit a Negative tag, but there's not one on this Ante.

Even at maximum game speed, the hands are taking like two minutes to process.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

lol even just a screenshot looks crazy

This guy is a pro follow in general. He's currently spending most of his time with Balatro, but he got popular doing amazing FTL runs, and he's done tons of great games over the years, including Slay the Spire, Darkest Dungeon, Into the Breach, and Battle Brothers. And some other stuff I'm not as into (like spending a year with Rimworld, but I know people dig that game).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just lost a promising run (two Barons, Mime, 13x Canio with room to grow, Perkio with a Death in my consumable area, and about half my deck as red seal steel Kings). I was definitely looking at my first e20+ run.

Why did I lose? I had unlimited rerolls on the boss blind, and simply misclicked Next Round -- when The Plant was the boss. Sigh.

I wish the game had an Undo button.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2024

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I was thinking about this the other day. I typically get vouchers when I can afford them but the x2 non-joker card ones feel highly situational.

I usually pick up the Tarot voucher because most of the Tarot cards are far more useful in the consumables area than having to use them on opening an Arcana Pack.

I agree that the Planets and Cards ones are very situational. I don't usually take them unless I already have a great setup or specific decks that benefit from planets or extra cards.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Just had my best run, somehow lucking into a red seal steel king deck without really hunting for it initially. I got a ridiculous economy via Gold Mask and the "all cards are face cards" joker, and from there was able to reroll my way into some higher antes.

I could have gone further but never saw a Brainstorm, and I had to sell my Showman to get past the boss blind.

Really fun run. I'm probably never beating my last four challenges.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Aipsh posted:

Cruelty down, just Golden Needle and Jokerless left ahahaHAHAHAHA aaaaaaaahhh

Same, plus Double or Nothing. I really don't see how to beat that one without getting insanely lucky.

I honestly didn't think Cruelty was all that hard, but I also had a ~+2000 Wee Joker by the end.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Nemo2342 posted:

For Double or Nothing you focus on jokers that don’t require the cards to provide the score. So the High Card / Pair strats work, or really anything where you can get all the chips and mult off the jokers and hand played.

Also applying an enhancement to a debuffed card will activate it again if you’d rather try to go hard on tarot cards.

Welp, next run I did this and it worked great. I didn't realize that enhancing a debuffed card would activate it (but only if the card hadn't previous been enhanced, apparently), so I was able to use that to refresh a few cards with Steel and Gold.

I got the Violet Vessel and blew it away in one hand with red seal steel queens in hand, Shoot the Moon, and a ridiculously inflated Pair hand.

Golden Needle would be a fun challenge if not for the $1 per discard. Jokerless just... sucks. They should have at least made it so Buffoon packs no longer show up in the store, so you at least have a better chance at the other packs.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I finished all stakes with one deck, so now I'm working on clearing all the mid-level stakes for all the different decks now.

What I'd really love for this game is a Vampire Survivors style "ban" where you can eliminate Jokers from the pool. I guess it would have a big impact on balance, but then again the game is stupidly random on any given run anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
For those of you who have a lot of uncommon/rare jokers in your top-used cards, do you take the "next store contains an uncommon/rare joker" tags pretty often?

I tended to avoid those until they were patched to become free, but it's still often a tough choice.

My most-used jokers are mostly commons, specifically ones that are useful in the early game (especially Gros Michel and Misprint).