Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Watched a double feature of Late Night with the Devil and Infested last night.

Late Night is loving fantastic.... up until the ending. Someone above nailed it, it's found footage then it goes into Jack's hallucinations? What? I'm super disappointed the titular Devil wasn't the skeptic psychic, I kept hoping there was going to be some horrible loving reveal that he'd hypnotized everyone to start killing each other or worshipping him or etc. When the hypnosis part happened I thought FOR loving SURE that's where we were going and instead we got... the end. The opposite of sticking the landing imo, they did a 9.5 gymnastics routine and then ended it by throwing a javelin at the judges.

I'm the guy Infested was made for. I wrote an entire book about a serial killer who uses swarms of insects to kill his victims. So I was fired up about this one, been talking about it for a month. Well, Infested is loving stupid. It's got a great setup but about the last 30 min or so is just loving ridiculous trash. The main character is an unlikable rear end. Nothing about the poo poo with the spiders make any sense whatsoever. They're aggressive and instantly deadly but people in Afghanistan (?) risk their lives to capture them because they sell for the huge huge price of... 50 euro? The cops showed up to a spider infestation with riot armor and machine guns? You're going to machine gun a loving spider? The first half of the movie was pretty good, especially the "swarmed by baby spiders" part that got Moussa. But man... the rest of this thing is a loving mess, when the cop-spider firefight starts we all just started laughing and then the loving firefight goes on for like 20+ minutes as background for what our heroes are doing. How many cops did they bring? Just bleh. Slot this one in next to Crawl in "good setup, descends into farce." I can believe someone shrugging off multiple 9-foot gator bites quicker than I can believe in car-sized spiders the cops show up to have a firefight with.

I kinda understand why Sam Raimi wanted the Infested guy to do Evil Dead, there were a couple of genuinely skin-crawling moments and a good payoff to all that sneaker box setup but it's a Tale of Two Movies, a suspenseful first half and then all of a sudden we're in loving Spider All Quiet on the Western Front. Shoulda been "*REC with spiders" instead of "Arachnophobia played straight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

JonathonSpectre posted:

Watched a double feature of Late Night with the Devil and Infested last night.

Late Night is loving fantastic.... up until the ending. Someone above nailed it, it's found footage then it goes into Jack's hallucinations? What? I'm super disappointed the titular Devil wasn't the skeptic psychic, I kept hoping there was going to be some horrible loving reveal that he'd hypnotized everyone to start killing each other or worshipping him or etc. When the hypnosis part happened I thought FOR loving SURE that's where we were going and instead we got... the end. The opposite of sticking the landing imo, they did a 9.5 gymnastics routine and then ended it by throwing a javelin at the judges.

My take on it was demonic manipulation . Much like the hypnosis bit, this was the entity's effecting things. Only evidence I've got is at the end, the end transmission text glitches.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
We saw what the demon wanted us to see yeah

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Infested rocked. Wish it had gotten a theater run because that camera work and lighting deserved a gigantic screen.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Red Letter Media covered Late Night With The Devil and had some good points that the 70's aesthetic wasn't followed fully. It'd be cool if Jay does his project and washes out the footage a few times to achieve the grainy look of old talk shows. They also pointed out that the wide angle shots break the conceit that we're watching something being filmed on a set. It would have been cool if the shots were done from giant 70's cameras with stiff angles rather than panning out and showing us everything.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

dorium posted:

Infested rocked. Wish it had gotten a theater run because that camera work and lighting deserved a gigantic screen.

There were definitely parts I really, really liked, which is what made the parts I didn't so disappointing.

I especially loved the scene where he puts the spider in the shoebox in his room for the first time. The way it keeps cutting back to the tanks and the animals moving, that was some seriously excellent 'oh gently caress what is this spider' tension. I also thought the walk out of the parking garage was first rate, my skin was crawling the entire time. And the already mentioned scene where Moussa gets bit on the toe and then just swarmed by almost-invisibly small baby spiders, that was loving dreadful.

Just don't follow that up with a line of cops shooting at a doorway as spiders pour out of it screeching and clicking. And DO NOT set up a sequence where your highly-unlikeable main character can be eaten by a spider the size of a loving motorcycle and then let him walk away! Deep Blue Sea knew! When some dumbshit gets a bunch of people killed they get eaten at the end of the movie. Come on now, just eat him.

Maybe that's the alternate ending for the director's cut.

"I've got to go raise the gate."
>steps outside<
>even bigger spider jumps him from behind and rips poo poo up<
>girls gun it and smash through the gate<
DEEP BLUE SPIDER

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm dying to see Infested, saving it for the May challenge. Love a good creature feature.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

JonathonSpectre posted:

There were definitely parts I really, really liked, which is what made the parts I didn't so disappointing.

I especially loved the scene where he puts the spider in the shoebox in his room for the first time. The way it keeps cutting back to the tanks and the animals moving, that was some seriously excellent 'oh gently caress what is this spider' tension. I also thought the walk out of the parking garage was first rate, my skin was crawling the entire time. And the already mentioned scene where Moussa gets bit on the toe and then just swarmed by almost-invisibly small baby spiders, that was loving dreadful.

Just don't follow that up with a line of cops shooting at a doorway as spiders pour out of it screeching and clicking. And DO NOT set up a sequence where your highly-unlikeable main character can be eaten by a spider the size of a loving motorcycle and then let him walk away! Deep Blue Sea knew! When some dumbshit gets a bunch of people killed they get eaten at the end of the movie. Come on now, just eat him.

"I've got to go raise the gate."
>steps outside<
>even bigger spider jumps him from behind and rips poo poo up<
>girls gun it and smash through the gate<
DEEP BLUE SPIDER

Yeah all that’s fair.

but I forgave the last 6 minutes because the previous 100 minutes was so strong

Humane was not good tho. That was a real snooze fest. A neat premise that could’ve been used in a 45 minute short stretched to double that length and then just kinda wades in the water too long. Maybe could’ve helped if they played into the campiness a bit more or just made the villains more villainous. Something was missing and I just kept checking my watch all the way through.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

in late night with the devil if he made a deal with the devil why was he getting clobbered by Carson in the ratings? Did Carson have a better deal with a better devil?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

in late night with the devil if he made a deal with the devil why was he getting clobbered by Carson in the ratings? Did Carson have a better deal with a better devil?

yes

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
carson had mcmahon

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm dying to see Infested, saving it for the May challenge. Love a good creature feature.

Same, and I even like a lot of really schlocky ones like Prophecy (1979), an all time guilty pleasure. Trying to think of my overall faves. Let's see.

JAWS, The Thing, Alien(s)...I liked Cujo. Several Godzilla movies but Shin Godzilla in particular. King Kong (original, 1976 and the peter Jackson one), Jurassic Park, Arachnophobia...hm..

Does The Fly count?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
regarding Infested...

JonathonSpectre posted:

I actually liked all of that :shrug:
rear end in a top hat or not, I'd had about enough of poor brown and black people brutally dying (put the sequel in the suburbs please), so not only was I pulling for all of them but it was awesome that they can now say they killed two cops (counting the dude they hit) and got away with it. I also liked that he had that moment of nonviolence with what was his original pet. The dude loves creepy crawlers.
The french pigs being totally incompetent and brutalized by spiders just put the cherry on the cake. Those spiders went harder than usual on those dudes.

p.s. watching Isolation and yeah it's some solid single location goopy fun.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 28, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is isolation yall talking bout the 2005 one?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Just got out of theaters seeing the rerelease of Alien. Man, still such a perfect movie and I’m real happy I finally got to see it in a theater setting

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Directed by Billy obrien

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Yup, Irish horror. It didn't blow me away but i enjoyed it. Pretty bleak, pretty solid. It's on Prime but also prolly on any variety of those free streaming services that sound like baby gibberish and end with two Es.

Rewatched Joy Ride recently and it's fun enough though I forgot how toothless it really is. Dude doesn't even really kill anyone except some poor random hotel lobby guy (yeah he puts another dude brutally in a coma who's basically dead but still). None of the major players get killed, and I was just begging the film to at least have Steve Zahn crushed by a truck. He has Zahn too, by the end, and unlike any other horror killer doesn't just immediately dispatch him (yeah he's a Saw type dude but he'd already had his fun psychologically torturing this obnoxious gently caress and he knew the cops were arriving).
Zahn's playing the typical obnoxious misogynistic Bush era comedic relief (with the very amusingly white name "Fuller Thomas") but the dude is basically a psychopath who not only triggers this whole thing but also basically shows no guilt or empathy. He only apologizes when threatened with death. While Paul Walker is like "wow that was some hosed up poo poo", Zahn's character is just like "we'll all be dead in a 100 years. There is no such thing as right or wrong" lol

Fun voice acting from "Rusty Nail" though.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 28, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BiggerBoat posted:

Same, and I even like a lot of really schlocky ones like Prophecy (1979), an all time guilty pleasure. Trying to think of my overall faves. Let's see.

JAWS, The Thing, Alien(s)...I liked Cujo. Several Godzilla movies but Shin Godzilla in particular. King Kong (original, 1976 and the peter Jackson one), Jurassic Park, Arachnophobia...hm..

Does The Fly count?

You need to watch Isolation

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked that Isolation is a disease type body horror film at the end of the day. The monsters mostly can't outright physically kill people unless they really get the jump on you, it's more about the parasitic infection they can spread.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watched part of The Tunnel last night and all the wet rusty metal had me feeling like I got tetanus just from watching

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. I saw the ending coming a mile away but I was grinning the entire time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CelticPredator posted:

You need to watch Isolation

Yeah...I watched the trailer and some review videos and it looks super hosed up. Right up my alley.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I assume the general Abigail consensus was it has its flaws but it's decent horror fun? Surely something worth moviepassing? I'm mostly hearing B, B- from people.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I assume the general Abigail consensus was it has its flaws but it's decent horror fun? Surely something worth moviepassing? I'm mostly hearing B, B- from people.

I thought it was a lot of fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, a solid B/B+. Definitely worth moviepassing at least.