Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

brawleh posted:

Also, is the Alien thread gone or am i just blind?

It was moved to the scifi wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Immaculate did that thing I like where it's in this weird timeless feel where I thought it might be set in 1969 until someone pulled out a smartphone.

Could've used a dollop of more sleaze to feel like a proper euro pervert film.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Genius official poster

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Asked the director of In a Violent Nature what his favorite Friday the 13th Film was he said "Part 5. It's basically a Robert Altman film."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Genius official poster

God drat, sold!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Every Barbarian chieftain would if transported to modern days, drive a van and play a bass guitar.

E:
Massively wrong thread but I stand by it.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 24, 2024

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

The more I hear about this "The Devil"-fellow the less I like him.

the devil, I gotta tell you - what a jerk.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Every Barbarian chieftain would if transported to modern days, drive a van and play a bass guitar.

E:

let him cook

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

FreudianSlippers posted:

E:

It's still the truth even if it's the wrong thread.

And tonight it was sold out showings for Immaculate and Late Night with the Devil. Anyone who couldn't get into those or Ghostbusters went to Imaginary.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

FreudianSlippers posted:

Asked the director of In a Violent Nature what his favorite Friday the 13th Film was he said "Part 5. It's basically a Robert Altman film."

I'm on board with this

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Got out to see Immaculate last night, echoing the positive reviews. Sweeney was great, and I know she was instrumental in getting this made, so it's nice to see she's got at least some real interest in horror. (I did get annoyed at seeing article calling this her horror debut. What an insult to Nocturne!) She really carries the movie, and there's some effective outbursts of violence, used sparingly but effectively. I wish they would have gone farther in a few places, though. The worst thing I have to say about the film is that it's a well-worn premise executed really well. The script is utilitarian and the supporting characters are one-dimensional, you see this for Sweeney and some blood. Agreed with those that have said this is a movie that DEFINITELY sticks the landing, the last three minutes really elevate it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

brawleh posted:

The issue with “AI” art isn’t one of automation, it’s theft of labor. It’s algorithms trained on stolen work without consent and compensation for said labor.

So there’s a particular perversity to it where a smaller indie production utilizes it alongside notions to support this small independent artist/production or a new original ideas outside the Hollywood production trappings or whatever, when ya know AI art is the complete antithesis of this.

Also, is the Alien thread gone or am i just blind?

There are two:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883563&pagenumber=1

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728298&pagenumber=1

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's still the truth even if it's the wrong thread.

And tonight it was sold out showings for Immaculate and Late Night with the Devil. Anyone who couldn't get into those or Ghostbusters went to Imaginary.

What a terrible fate

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

E:

So basically Peter Steele?

Yes, where else could Peter Steele have come from?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Baron von Eevl posted:

So basically Peter Steele?

Yes, where else could Peter Steele have come from?

Bill Zebub's next movie starring Peter Steele as an undead serial masturbator

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I treated myself to two films in the cinema last night: Love Lies Bleeding, and Late Night with the Devil. Reasoning was twofold as I don't expect either will be in cinemas long and I'm having surgery this week so this was a little treat.

Love Lies Bleeding: Absolutely great film. I had seen the trailer/teaser earlier this year and the full film exceeded my expectations based on that without largely ruining a plot of the movie (something I hate which most trailers do these days - there's one for an upcoming film named Abigail which is a prime example of this).

The two leads both deliver stellar, strong female-led performances. Prior to Underwater I had never seen a Kristen Stewart film. I was told she "was that actress from those Twilight films", films which I myself being an old fart never got around to seeing, so she wasn't necessarily an actor who was on my radar. Underwater changed that in a big way, a film which took me by surprise. Stewart leads that near-future sci-fi thriller in much the same way that Sigourney Weaver lead Alien, of which the film and character design borrows quite a bit from without detracting from the movie.

Love Lies Bleeding also stars Ed Harris, he was great as always. The original music is written/performed by Clint Mansell who has always been one of my favorites following his work on PI (1998). The cinematography/filming is also great - you can see the influences of the noir-ish/strange/otherness of David Lynch and certainly also the body horror of David Cronenberg. I was the only one in my screening, so see this one if and while you can.

Late Night with the Devil was a lot of fun and very good, I loved seeing David Dastmalchian lead a film. His other guests on the program deliver good performances too. This is one where I think the trailer gave just a little too much away (but certainly less so than the vast majority of the offenders), but I still enjoyed the ride greatly. Fans of Amazing James Randi will probably recognize a character who seems to be at least somewhat based on him and his work to expose chicanery and promote skepticism - I believe that he would smile and be honored to see the influence and homage to his legacy. The only part of the film that I felt was lacking was perhaps the last 10 minutes or the epilogue of the film following the end of the broadcast in which the dialogue was too difficult for me to make out and I cannot watch a film comfortably without subtitles. We'll see if that holds true once, I can 'hear' those lines properly.

Overall, Late Night with the Devil, definite recommend. I can see this one easily ending up in my October rotation as anything that mines that pre-digital era of film and TV where everything visually (and otherwise) began to seem too samey and homogeneous. Not at all quite the same as the WNUF Halloween Special but the two would easily make a good double bill. Plenty of folks in this screening with me (maybe ~40) but I believe last night was opening night and as its hitting Shudder this week I believe I don't expect it'll be in cinemas long.

Edit: On the topic of AI & Late Night with the Devil. I was aware of it going it, had somebody not told me ahead of time I wouldn't have noticed. The labor theft issue is a big issue deserving its own thread (if such doesn't already exist) so not worth discussing here. As somebody previously stated, I could easily the inclusion of those assets the work of one person and potentially by the time it was discovered it was too late to course correct. It definitely doesn't detract from the film at all.

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 24, 2024

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I watched Late Night With the Devil yesterday and it ruled! Great performances, solid effects, and really sold the late 70s vibe. I loved the store brand James Randi.

Honestly the only real complaint I have was the beginning of the movie has so many production company bumpers I honestly thought they were doing it as a joke.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HK5000 posted:

I had seen the trailer/teaser earlier this year and the full film exceeded my expectations based on that without largely ruining a plot of the movie

Agreed. It was a great trailer that seemed pretty expansive but the actual movie still had so many cards to play. Nominate that desert sky for best supporting actor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

He's right.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Anyone who knows Part 5 is good truly knows ball.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HK5000 posted:

Clint Mansell who has always been one of my favorites following his work on PI (1998).

I love Pi. It's so exquisitely lofi that Mansell appears in the movie (as the photographer who Max chases) and the film's star Sean Gullette also created the official website.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What a terrible fate

It's pretty much expected by me that if you put on going out in public clothes and made the trip to the theater, you are going to sit through a movie no matter what.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also once you've hit A Certain Age it may be that you've hired a babysitter so might as well loving see something, it's either that or your just sitting at a bar together or something.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HK5000 posted:

Prior to Underwater I had never seen a Kristen Stewart film. I was told she "was that actress from those Twilight films", films which I myself being an old fart never got around to seeing, so she wasn't necessarily an actor who was on my radar. Underwater changed that in a big way, a film which took me by surprise. Stewart leads that near-future sci-fi thriller in much the same way that Sigourney Weaver lead Alien, of which the film and character design borrows quite a bit from without detracting from the movie.
oh man I'm so jealous, you get to explore K-Stew's post-Twilight output. She was Radcliffe before Radcliffe, she said "OK, got the gently caress-you money, time to remind everyone why I got cast in the first place"

She's seriously so drat good in basically everything

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

R Pat did the same thing my man was written off as teenage twilight dude them BOOM lighthouse BANG good time POW high life

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, she got all her bills paid so now she can get weird with it. Personal Shopper is brilliant too, really recommend checking that one out.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It was mentioned pages ago but has anyone else seen Stopmotion yet? It's a slower character study with some hosed up implications around it and a bit of gore that's kind of meaninful to the plot. Fantastic ending too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, she got all her bills paid so now she can get weird with it. Personal Shopper is brilliant too, really recommend checking that one out.

the Lizzie Borden movie she did is my fav of hers

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

R Pat did the same thing my man was written off as teenage twilight dude them BOOM lighthouse BANG good time POW high life
Never forget Cosmopolis. My favorite Cronenberg of this century.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man I watched You'll Never Find Me on Shudder and it's one of the most nerve wracking movies I've seen in a while. The sound was spot on and just had an atmosphere of looming dread.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I definitely recommend checking out Stewart in Crimes of the Future, she's got a wonderful twitchy energy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I definitely recommend checking out Stewart in Crimes of the Future, she's got a wonderful twitchy energy.

:agreed:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Maxwell Lord posted:

Very potent meaning.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I saw someone describe her in Crimes of the Future as "a sweaty little gremlin" and it's very accurate.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I've always had a soft spot for The Rover in terms of compelling RPat performances

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I hope John Carpenter doesn’t hear that!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm glad I am not a film maker because I would live in fear everyday that Carpenter was going to destroy me and my films in an interview.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would be honored if he did it to me bc I would learn a whole lot

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok Love Lies Bleeding was a good choice. So grimy, and that last 5 minutes loving ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Went into the Congolese/Belgian film Omen expecting folk horror but got a moving drama about generational trauma and diasporan alienation with some very very very slight folk horror elements.

Still a great film even if it isn't horror.