Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.

HK5000 posted:

I had seen the trailer/teaser earlier this year and the full film exceeded my expectations based on that without largely ruining a plot of the movie (something I hate which most trailers do these days - there's one for an upcoming film named Abigail which is a prime example of this).

That Abigail trailer is such a brutal offender; it has to cover almost every plot beat.
Who makes these loving trailers? Why does this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember people getting mad at the trailer for Cabin In The Woods for "spoiling the whole movie" by revealing that it wasn't a normal cabin. I'm not saying Abigail definitely has more up its sleeve than the trailer lets on, but it's possible "mercs kidnap a rich kid who turns out to be a vampire" is just the premise.

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember people getting mad at the trailer for Cabin In The Woods for "spoiling the whole movie" by revealing that it wasn't a normal cabin. I'm not saying Abigail definitely has more up its sleeve than the trailer lets on, but it's possible "mercs kidnap a rich kid who turns out to be a vampire" is just the premise.

i’ll definitely give it a fair shot. i just wanted to complain and honestly i think that’s my bad for being too cynical. thanks dog

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

big bastard posted:

That Abigail trailer is such a brutal offender; it has to cover almost every plot beat.
Who makes these loving trailers? Why does this happen?

You have to remember that the vast majority of movie goers/people are very, very stupid

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A bit of a horror light week this week for Bracketology but blame that on me since its my teams.

Where We’re At:
4. (Goat’s Ladies Night) Emerald Fennell’s Promising Young Woman vs. 5. (Goat’s Enemies of Horror) Amy Seimetz’s Sun Don’t Shine
6. Roger Corman’s The Wasp Woman vs. 14. (Sam’s Cloverfield +1) Julius Onah’s The Cloverfield Paradox

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Apr 1st (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
1. Older Than America vs. 8. A Crate of Crichton Fright Freight
10. NYC Grime Connection vs. 15. M. Night Shyamalan

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 25, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Medullah posted:

Man I watched You'll Never Find Me on Shudder and it's one of the most nerve wracking movies I've seen in a while. The sound was spot on and just had an atmosphere of looming dread.

This was pretty solid. I didn't like the direction the film went, felt like wasted potential, but the acting and ambiance was great. I wish the girl had something up with her that would be a twist instead of just being another victim for the killer.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lol, the trombone scene in The Town That Dreaded Sundown. Who came up with this lmao.

I watched this and Boggy Creek tonight. Its funny that the prevailing message of the latter movie is we should feel sorry for the Fouke Monster because he is lonely. Because there isn't another Fouke Monster to have sex with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

I watched this and Boggy Creek tonight. Its funny that the prevailing message of the latter movie is we should feel sorry for the Fouke Monster because he is lonely. Because there isn't another Fouke Monster to have sex with.

He's Down To Fouke?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Okay I will watch the fouckeing movie

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Doltos posted:

This was pretty solid. I didn't like the direction the film went, felt like wasted potential, but the acting and ambiance was great. I wish the girl had something up with her that would be a twist instead of just being another victim for the killer.

(You'll Never Find Me) Yeah I was a bit disappointed that it went in the tropey direction - it made all the scenes with her alone a lot less impactful. I figured something was up and my first though was "vengeful ghost" but I wanted it to be something different.. I still really liked it for what it was.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Medullah posted:

(You'll Never Find Me) Yeah I was a bit disappointed that it went in the tropey direction - it made all the scenes with her alone a lot less impactful. I figured something was up and my first though was "vengeful ghost" but I wanted it to be something different.. I still really liked it for what it was.

This is where I'm at. It could have been great, but was still pretty good and I like that it lingered a while after the "twist"; worse films would have just had the trope happen and then rolled credits, I appreciated that you got to see him be miserable for a while after at least and then hear him violently dying

Maybe my expectations for Shudder originals/exclusives is just lowered at this point. History of Evil, the most immediate one before this, really didn't help with that lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Comeback of the century in progress: Winnie the Pooh Blood and Honey 2 (sequel to the infamous first one) currently at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/winnie_the_pooh_blood_and_honey_2

First one has 3% https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/winnie_the_pooh_blood_and_honey

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

To be honest right up until the trailer revealed it was a vampire movie I had no interest in Abigail. "Spoiling" the premise of the movie is pretty much the only way to market it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The sound design on You'll Never Find Me is impeccable. I saw it in a cinema and the experience was mind blowing. I dunno if it gets to take full advantage of its skills on streaming.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Lol, the trombone scene in The Town That Dreaded Sundown. Who came up with this lmao.

I want to rewatch that and time the murder vs hijinx sections.

It certainly feels like they spent more time on any one of Sparkplug’s dumb gimmicks than anything the killer did.

Still the worst day for night I’ve ever seen.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Chris James 2 posted:

Comeback of the century in progress: Winnie the Pooh Blood and Honey 2 (sequel to the infamous first one) currently at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/winnie_the_pooh_blood_and_honey_2

First one has 3% https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/winnie_the_pooh_blood_and_honey

The Poohniverse will save cinema

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The original Town that Dreaded Sundown has a just totally wild loving tone through out the movie. Like it's trying to be 100 % serious and then you get poo poo like cops in drag and bumbling keystone cops.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder if that stuff in The Town That Dreaded Sundown has anything to do with Live and Let Die and The Man With the Golden Gun, which had come out a year or two before. They introduced a bumbling comedy relief sheriff character named JW Pepper who hasn't aged well at all, but Live and Let Die was very successful(Golden Gun less so) and I wonder if The Town That Dreaded Sundown was trying to do a similar thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snooze Cruise posted:

It's based very loosely on a real part of the murders, I think one of the victims played trumpet or saxophone or something, even if it wasn't used in the murder and maybe wasn't even in the car? I have a feeling a trombone was just what they had access to and the director was like "great now use the trombone to stab him" and the actor just kinda winged it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Poohniverse will save cinema

I want the Poohniverse to get the resources of the Dark Universe but without the brutal failure. Tom Cruise as Roo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

WeaponX posted:

I want the Poohniverse to get the resources of the Dark Universe but without the brutal failure. Tom Cruise as Roo.

He seems like more of a Rabbit.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Pooh review posted:

The silly factor is instead relegated to wild set pieces, including a particularly gnarly rave massacre that involves Tigger uttering the phrase, “Come here you fluorescent bitch,” to an unfortunate rave attendee.

oh no i'm definitely going to watch this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The wonderful thing about tiggers, is tiggers are wonderful things, bitch

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

The wonderful thing about tiggers, is tiggers are wonderful things, bitch

Why do I now picture a Freddy Kruger kill setup where he turns some lady with a Winnie the Pooh obsession into a Tigger-style monstrosity with spring legs and just has her bouncing up and down cracking her rubber head on the ceiling until it explodes? Like the setup part of that dumb power glove kill from Freddy's Dead but actually make that the kill.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh god Sparkplug was actually played by the director too.

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if that stuff in The Town That Dreaded Sundown has anything to do with Live and Let Die and The Man With the Golden Gun, which had come out a year or two before. They introduced a bumbling comedy relief sheriff character named JW Pepper who hasn't aged well at all, but Live and Let Die was very successful(Golden Gun less so) and I wonder if The Town That Dreaded Sundown was trying to do a similar thing.

Ohhh, that would make a lot of sense. I kept connecting it back to Black Christmas since they have similar bits of comedy and a bumbling police officer but it wasn't really the same tone or as relentless as the stuff in Sundown. Meanwhile JW Pepper feels way closer to the Sparkplug stuff.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh god Sparkplug was actually played by the director too.

That explains so much. Both his over-prominence in front of the camera and his decisions behind it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I couldn’t stand the comic relief cops in Last House on the Left. I get why they were supposed to be there but it failed miserably. The circus music cops in Halloween 5 are better if only because there’s not such a severe tonal whiplash every fifteen minutes.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Halloween 5 is such a frustrating movie to watch. Outside of Jamie they just give you no one to root for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey we have this child actress who actually beat the odds and delivered a really good performance in Halloween 4. I have a great idea, let's make her a mute in the next one!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The other problem with Sundown is is that it didn't even have a funny songs like Boggy Creek.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, I'm not defending Halloween 5 at all. They give up one of the best final girls in horror within the first fifteen minutes and replace her with one of the most irritating. I just find the comic relief cops less offensive because they're not showing up in between scenes of violent rape and murder that we're supposed to be taking seriously. Nobody is taking Halloween 5 seriously.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's still better than Halloween 6 though

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oh yeah once they pitch any pretense of seriousness they had from the last movie you get to spend the rest of the time with The Worst Teenagers In Haddonfield. The cops just slot right into whatever watered down boner comedy they walked out of.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Basebf555 posted:

It's still better than Halloween 6 though

At least Halloween 6 is interesting in a batshit kind of way. Part of the fun is trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on and realizing that no, nothing actually makes sense. In either version. Though seeing them drag out Donald Pleasance one more time brings it down.

TheKingslayer posted:

Oh yeah once they pitch any pretense of seriousness they had from the last movie you get to spend the rest of the time with The Worst Teenagers In Haddonfield. The cops just slot right into whatever watered down boner comedy they walked out of.

It really does feel like they walked off the set of Police Academy 6. Which came out the same year and was directed by Peter Bonerz.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

brawleh posted:

The issue with “AI” art isn’t one of automation, it’s theft of labor. It’s algorithms trained on stolen work without consent and compensation for said labor.

So there’s a particular perversity to it where a smaller indie production utilizes it alongside notions to support this small independent artist/production or a new original ideas outside the Hollywood production trappings or whatever, when ya know AI art is the complete antithesis of this.

Also, is the Alien thread gone or am i just blind?

welcome back btw

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I saw a very positive review for a horror movie called "It doesn't get any better than this", but I didn't want to read much because I want to know as little as possible. But from what I can glean through googling, its a found footage horror that the filmmaker used footage of old home movies throughout his life and apparently it's only being screened live. Has anyone heard of this?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Watched Late Night with the Devil. It was a very good premise, and David Dastmalchian does some great acting as our lead character, talk show host Jack Delroy. And it does an extraordinary job of capturing the feel of a 70s talk show, ala Johnny Carson. The sets, costumes, and overall feel is spot on throughout. The problem is that, for the most part, it just isn't very creepy for the first couple of acts. Every time I noticed something off-putting, they would then have a character verbally point it out and overly highlight it instead of simply letting it build. The movie could have used just a little more subtly to help transition from the corny atmosphere of the talk show to something more off-putting. Though, to the movie's credit, I did miss one clever detail in my initial viewing: the dead wife's reflection appearing throughout, even before the still frame the characters discover later on.

Outside of Dastmalchian's performance, I found most of the character's portrayals to be fairly one dimensional, and at times annoying. The exception being Gus, the show's oft put-upon sidekick who grows increasingly worried about the occult forces they are meddling with, but outside of one stand out scene he simply doesn't get enough screen-time to shine. I was most annoyed by Carmichael, though mostly because it felt disrespectful to make an Amazing Randi homage that was so frustratingly unlikable. Lily, the host of the titular devil, was an oddly mixed bag. For most of her scenes she delivers a standard "creepy little girl" performance, but then seems to lock in during the first possession scene. Between the make up and her change in mannerisms, I was half convinced they had swapped her out for another actor. I'd believe you if you told me that's actually what they did, as I couldn't confirm one way or the other. In any case, it was effective. Yet, despite the performance, the scene hews so close to what you'd expect from a possession that it becomes predicable, and thus not all that scary. Much like Carmichael waiting to see something he can't cynically explain away, I'm waiting for the movie to actually get interesting.

Well, by the third act, it finally finds it's footing. Or, more accurately, just before in the scene with Carmichael and Gus, where Carmichael demonstrates mass hypnosis as a possible explanation for the previous possession scene. He convinces Gus, the studio audience, and presumably the actual audience that Gus is full of worms, in a great piece of practical effects work. That said, despite being goopy and disturbing, the scene is both weirdly implausible given it's being orchestrated by the skeptic, and also oddly disconnected from the rest of the movie. Still, it's the kind of surreal horror I was wanting more of given the movie's premise. Thankfully, that's the direction the third act leans after the demon literally bursts lose, taking over the show after murdering most of the guests. Jack finds himself trapped in a twisted version of his past, the show mixing with his involvement with a shady, occult organization that helped his rise to stardom, and the apparent sacrifice of his sick wife. It's my favorite part, and I just wish we'd gotten a little more of it earlier on. But even here the movie is, sadly, predictable, given most of it had already been spelled out in the movie's overly long introduction exposition.

Anyway, my nitpicking aside, it's still a fun, if not overly frightening movie, and worth a watch. Well, unless you're understandably giving it a pass for it's use of AI, which I can't fault. While most of the AI images are unobtrusive, I still think of that one skeleton's weird, spiked club hand. For the sake of the movie's legacy, I hope they release a version that replaces them with actual art.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 27, 2024

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I was thinking that after her head explodes and she kills everyone that she would call Jack over and have an actual interview with the Devil. The ending we got was pretty good but stabbing the girl when he thought it was his wife was a little too predictable for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm watching Imaginary and it's kinda fun with cool effects but holy poo poo this is comically bad writing. Like, high school drama class level, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it was making me laugh.

Like, this old lady might as well be named Mrs. Exposition

Edit - There is no way this writing is not intentionally this bad.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Medullah posted:

Edit - There is no way this writing is not intentionally this bad.

The director/writer also did the writing for *inhales*

Cry Wolf
Prey (2007)
Kick rear end 2
Truth or Dare
Blumhouse's Fantasy Island
and Bloodshot