Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know what the other movie is so it’s funnier to me that y’all getting spooked by the Elisha Cuthbert sex comedy

The movie is honestly kind of mid but the Ketch novel on which it's based is a Certified Hood Classic, just a real bad time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They're really two separate films that should be watched as such. I think both have some good ideas even if HND is quite a bit better but SND suffers a lot from the "Never Died" moniker.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Horror thread, I need your help!

I'm trying to track down copies (either physical or, preferably, digital) of Koji Shiraishi's two Ada films (Part One and Part Two). Anyone have a line on these?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ghost Dog edges it out for me but OLLA loving rocks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Housebound is very much my comfort horror. I've yet to have a mood or day so bad that that one doesn't pull me out of a nosedive just a little bit.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The cancer thing is hilarious, and makes me think that even an idiot like me can be a Netflix exec one day.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

wish someone would’ve warned me that Knock Knock sucks (jk i heard it a thousand times but failed to listen)

Now watch Megan is Missing

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

rewatching Malignant and it made me wonder: what are your guys’ favorite Monster’s Workbench scenes?

I’m thinking Insidious… Jeepers Creepers… what am I missing?

Definitely May for me. There's a pretty good one in Livid too. You know those scissors have seen some poo poo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I have a much bigger problem with Halloween Kills. I actually think the whole thing would've left a much better taste in my mouth had they just done Halloween and Halloween Ends, two films instead of a trilogy. Kills was just goofy as hell and not in a good way. Goofy and Michael Myers isn't a good combo.

What was goofier in any of these three movies than the training montage where Mike teaches that kid how to stab? I guess to Ends' credit that was one of the times I laughed the hardest at a horror movie all year.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

All the scenes with Jamie Lee Curtis in Ends where good, but she wasn’t in it nearly enough.

Kills might be the most disappointing movie I’ve ever seen in my life.

I found the scenes of her writing and rewriting her stupid book and it getting worse with each draft incredibly relatable at least.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

What’s giving me pause is the complete failure the short alienated was. It failed every festival it went too both in getting in and reception…but I’ve also shown it to other people who dug it and such. And that’s cool. But a lot of people I showed it too responded with a “oh neat” and moved on lol. Which is just the worst reception something could get in my opinion. Didn’t like it or hate it. Just meh.

And a lot of amazing stuff came out of that short, and I am proud of it despite of all that.

But it still hurts because so much of that thing meant a lot to me. And I just don’t want to gently caress it up again lol

Nothing precludes you from remaking something down the line if it means a lot to you. Lucky Mckee did it with All Cheerleaders Die which was one of his early shorts. Not the same but Malum was also a remake in pretty short order. My unsolicited advice is make what you love, now and always. People know when you haven't.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

A24 was a distribution company first and A24 is more about vibes anyway. There's lots of stuff distributed by, say NEON that I think qualifies as A24 horror even though they had nothing to do with it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vast of Night isn't big on scares but hell if it isn't one of my favourite horror pairings ever with the two leads. I was fully invested in both of those characters and genuinely liked them in a way that I usually don't with horror. That alone smoothed over a lot of the film's rough edges, along with a pretty strong sense of place. Maybe not a great horror movie but a thoroughly enjoyable movie in and of itself imo. I wish I could've seen it at a drive in or some kind of outdoor theatre.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Power Walrus posted:

Any good films about doppelgängers? I loved It Follows, They Look Like People & of course Bodysnatchers. Anything that plays with the fear of something familiar being sinister or uncanny. Also the fear of everything around you changing into something predatory. I haven’t seen Possession yet, I heard it plays with some of those themes.

Basically looking for something like Mandela Catalogue but less creepypasta-style.

Would Orphan: First Kill qualify? If not, this is an excuse to recommend Orphan First Kill.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bleck posted:

Just wanted to pop into this thread and say, what the gently caress are horror fans on, Talk To Me was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Gonna need this opinion qualified with a Hellraiser or F13 power ranking, pard

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sad question posted:

Bone Tomahawk was good but it also made me weirdly stoked because I have the same chairs they used for the saloon scene.

Put this pull quote on the poster

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Here's the selections for the Midnight programme at TIFF next month:

quote:

MIDNIGHT MADNESS PROGRAMME 2023

AGGRO DR1FT Harmony Korine | USA
North American Premiere

Boy Kills World Moritz Mohr | Germany/South Africa/USA
World Premiere

OPENING FILM
Dicks: The Musical Larry Charles | USA
World Premiere

Hell of a Summer Finn Wolfhard, Billy Bryk | USA/Canada
World Premiere

KILL Nikhil Nagesh Bhat | India
World Premiere

NAGA Meshal Aljaser | Saudi Arabia
World Premiere

CLOSING FILM
Riddle of Fire Weston Razooli | USA
North American Premiere

Sleep Jason Yu | South Korea
North American Premiere

When Evil Lurks Demián Rugna | Argentina
World Premiere

Working Class Goes to Hell Mladen Đorđević | Serbia
World Premiere

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RestingB1tchFace posted:

lol.....'Spiral: From the Book of Saw' was absolute dogshit. Was Chris Rock trolling with this? Horribly written.

I felt the same way, and I truly cannot stand that Max Minghnahella dude. He's got all the personality of unflavored gelatin

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Update : Deerskin loving owns.

Thanks.

Yeah Deerskin whips huge amounts of rear end. I think that's one of the last movies where I laughed until my sides hurt, besides EEAAO.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Count me in for just being kinda 'eh' on Cobweb. It's mostly just twist upon twist with nothing really to say that I can discern, and isn't quite dumb enough to laugh at (though it's close). Caplan and Starr are real good though and it made me want to see them both together in a better movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I forget who posted M. Linehan's art here but I bought a couple of his prints and they look great!

E: please excuse my filthy rug

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

gently caress, I had the worst cinema experience watching Talk To Me the other night. A large group of people decided that the foot sucking sequence was the funniest thing ever, which, whatever, but then they took it as their cue to just make noise and loudly bag out the last half of the film. It started when one person decided to just start making "spooky" noises over things and wouldn't shut the gently caress up and a few others got involved.

Everyone was fairly unsettled before then anyway, talking to each other or checking their phones. One dude was browsing for fridges. And then when the film was over another dude deliberately dumped his leftover tub of popcorn into his chair.

I guess the film was fine? Kinda spooky in the first half and some decent laughs anyway.

After a pandemic period of empty or near-empty theatres I loving hate going to movies with people now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Boat Dracula was fun enough. Probably nothing I'll think about in a month but decent goop and a fun setting go a long way for me. I'll agree with CJ2 that it's probably my last favourite Ovredal so far but that's still a decently high bar.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Carpet posted:

Is von Trier's Antichrist any fun to watch with an audience? My local independent is showing it this weekend and thinking of making a double bill of it with Legally Blonde.

I was at the world premiere here in Toronto and people were not loving ready for it at all, it was hilarious, but probably not the experience you'll have.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Finally saw Talk to Me and I'd say I looked it more than Cobweb and Boat Dracula combined. The performances were all superb and I left feeling excited about what they do with the sequel. Give me more of the other side, that brief little glimpse was terrifying.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I wonder what leatherface is doing irl now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msja6NVJg4c

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I wish game developers would get over it and make a slasher game where I’m the slasher and I just murder ncps in creative ways instead of this multiplayer crap

The original Manhunt and I suppose most stealth action games like Last Of Us have these mechanics but yeah, reskin those and power up your protag to Jason, Big Mike, or Leather levels and there's something cool there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Like recent examples off the top of my head?

The Lure - I wasn’t really in the mood to begin with and a few minutes in some lecherous dudes go “those teenagers are too young to be here! Strip them!” And I just left.

This is a pretty good example of a movie worth sticking it out for imo. I watch The Lure almost monthly, it's perfect.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hubs hiding his face and being triggered by boobs in the movie about the most devastating weapon in history. That's enough internet for me tonight.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

You know who would be perfect for introducing a horror anthology show?

Tom Waits.

Just him as himself (so, the devil) in some big rusty abandoned building with fire and steam and chains everywhere. He growls out some puns and laughs hysterically. Then we watch people get murdered for an hour.

He's sort of the narrator in The Dead Don't Die and is probably the best thing about that movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Netflix put out Cabinet of Curiosities last year.

And a new season of Black Mirror this year.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

weekly font posted:

Black Mirror is in the long line of brit tv that is celebrated but actually sucks super bad like dr who and sherlock

I don't like either of those things but Black Mirror is still more good than bad imo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

There's a couple of really stand out Black Mirror episodes specifically the Star Trek Parody and the San Junipero or whatever its called. Overall I like it as a series but it can have some real bad ones.

Yeah exactly. IMO Black Mirror has some really high highs and some hilarious lows, and for an anthology series that's what I'm looking for and expect.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Nothing on Netflix is good. Except ITYSL but that’s not horror

The Night Comes For Us would like a word

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Even at it's peak it had weirdly low numbers of screenings around here. Gotta make room to Barbenheim I guess.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's coming out in IMAX soon too, so you can see it the way it was meant to be seen.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Finally getting some use out of my Shudder subscription and am now checking out The Mortuary Collection 2019.

I thought this was pretty good

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Horror Thread: Camping Irresponsibly

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Easily Mantzoukas for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

I got both X and Pearl on bluray in a sale, never seen them, no nothing except Pearl is the prequel. What order should I watch?

Either one. I think you'll get more out of Pearl if you watch X first though.