Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Happy Return of the Living Dead Day everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Ambitious Spider posted:

I've never seen it, and it just popped up on Shudder, so that's what I'm doing tonight

Please do us a favor and check in afterwards with your initial thoughts.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Sure you've mentioned Hammer, but nobody's mentioned Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter yet? That, next to Phibes, is top-tier horror comfort movie for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Idq-SDBOA

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Also, on the subject of comfort horror one of my GOAT has to be Zombi 2. I used to drift off to bed to the film countless nights due to the relaxing music and atmosphere of the first half (some cops getting eaten by a boat zombie but they knew what they signed up for)

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How about Terror Train? Don't Panic?

Terror train is a good watch. Perfect 80's popcorn flick with Jamie Lee Curtis to boot.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

dorium posted:

Sissy was kinda mid, but Influencer looks intriguing.

Add another upvote for Influencer. I watched it when it first came out and it was worth a watch for sure. Didn't pick up on some of the cues that were previously mentioned, maybe I'm a dummy, but the whole thing was a fun ride.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Evil Dead the musical rules too.

Funny story. Was in Vegas with my mother who knew I was a fan of the franchise so she purchased upgraded "splatter zone" tickets without having any idea of what that entailed. Needless to say after the show, soaked in kool-aid she said she regretted buying those tickets.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Did anybody catch the season finale of Joe Bob Briggs on Friday? Day of the Dead, my favorite (non-comedy) Zombie of all time. My favorite horror comedy is without a doubt Return of the Living Dead

Now I know maybe there's a few of you here who don't like JBB because a few of the comments he's made over the years. I'm not here to defend those. However I believe his commentary on Romero's final great move is excellent and should be heard. It's relevant. If you haven't seen Day of the Dead (the OG.... there's a remake floating out there) it's about the institutions that run our current society breaking down. Those institutions. The Military industrial industrial complex specifically. Shudder is a great investment of your money for a streaming service (that's the end of my plug for them), but I'll be dammed if Day of the Dead doesn't get better with each re-watch. And yes Dawn of the Dead is phenomenal too but in our world run with politics what they are I think it's relevance has faded.

Just do it for nothing else if you like excellent kills and don't buy into the shade that some people throw onto the film as it's the rising star in the trilogy for many.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

Rhodes imo really does elevate it. He’s so unhinged and hilarious

Rhodes is so unhinged that I'm worried he may be running for president in 2024.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

ay is just so entertaining and arresting with great performances, but it's that unforgettable score that really sells it for me. At times it feels straight from Zero Escape. Also the opening is magnificent, and thanks to M1 A1 by Gorillaz is permanently seared into my brain. Awesome film that gets way too bad a rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dhURpGFy6g

Starts with the Lucio Fulci Tropical Zombi style themes but then ends up squarely in the George Romero humanity is hosed and you are "The Last of Us" among the zombies theme

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 25, 2023

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

If you have a Shudder account and you haven't see the Terror, get on that. One of the best series in the last decade. British maritime drama meets horror and gritty realism.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

A Fancy Hat posted:

Suitable Flesh hit Shudder today and I cannot wait to watch it after work. I love Barbara Crampton and I had read that originally Stuart Gordon was attached to this film. If it maintains even 1/10th of his wild energy it's going to kick rear end.

Please let us know your reactions on this, I've been holding off it as most of the takes I've heard have been negative. BC tends to only help make a film better no matter how otherwise forgettable it would otherwise be.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

I treated myself to two films in the cinema last night: Love Lies Bleeding, and Late Night with the Devil. Reasoning was twofold as I don't expect either will be in cinemas long and I'm having surgery this week so this was a little treat.

Love Lies Bleeding: Absolutely great film. I had seen the trailer/teaser earlier this year and the full film exceeded my expectations based on that without largely ruining a plot of the movie (something I hate which most trailers do these days - there's one for an upcoming film named Abigail which is a prime example of this).

The two leads both deliver stellar, strong female-led performances. Prior to Underwater I had never seen a Kristen Stewart film. I was told she "was that actress from those Twilight films", films which I myself being an old fart never got around to seeing, so she wasn't necessarily an actor who was on my radar. Underwater changed that in a big way, a film which took me by surprise. Stewart leads that near-future sci-fi thriller in much the same way that Sigourney Weaver lead Alien, of which the film and character design borrows quite a bit from without detracting from the movie.

Love Lies Bleeding also stars Ed Harris, he was great as always. The original music is written/performed by Clint Mansell who has always been one of my favorites following his work on PI (1998). The cinematography/filming is also great - you can see the influences of the noir-ish/strange/otherness of David Lynch and certainly also the body horror of David Cronenberg. I was the only one in my screening, so see this one if and while you can.

Late Night with the Devil was a lot of fun and very good, I loved seeing David Dastmalchian lead a film. His other guests on the program deliver good performances too. This is one where I think the trailer gave just a little too much away (but certainly less so than the vast majority of the offenders), but I still enjoyed the ride greatly. Fans of Amazing James Randi will probably recognize a character who seems to be at least somewhat based on him and his work to expose chicanery and promote skepticism - I believe that he would smile and be honored to see the influence and homage to his legacy. The only part of the film that I felt was lacking was perhaps the last 10 minutes or the epilogue of the film following the end of the broadcast in which the dialogue was too difficult for me to make out and I cannot watch a film comfortably without subtitles. We'll see if that holds true once, I can 'hear' those lines properly.

Overall, Late Night with the Devil, definite recommend. I can see this one easily ending up in my October rotation as anything that mines that pre-digital era of film and TV where everything visually (and otherwise) began to seem too samey and homogeneous. Not at all quite the same as the WNUF Halloween Special but the two would easily make a good double bill. Plenty of folks in this screening with me (maybe ~40) but I believe last night was opening night and as its hitting Shudder this week I believe I don't expect it'll be in cinemas long.

Edit: On the topic of AI & Late Night with the Devil. I was aware of it going it, had somebody not told me ahead of time I wouldn't have noticed. The labor theft issue is a big issue deserving its own thread (if such doesn't already exist) so not worth discussing here. As somebody previously stated, I could easily the inclusion of those assets the work of one person and potentially by the time it was discovered it was too late to course correct. It definitely doesn't detract from the film at all.

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 24, 2024

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Discussion of Australian Horror with no mention of Wake in Fright? Not on my watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mh7qZq0f_w

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Hollismason posted:

There's a content warning for Wake in Fright, there is a scene in the movie where they show a hunting party for Kangaroos and its really them shooting them and poo poo

The intention I believe gets across to the viewer (that man's inhumanity towards man, and inhumanity towards other life is senseless and unjustifiable, etc.), and that scene is always incredibly disturbing. Its a hard subject to tiptoe around without spilling the beans and lessening the shock & blow that infamous scene delivers. Its nasty and cruel, and yes - the actual truth is nasty and cruel just like the philosophical message the film is trying to convey.

When recommending the film one certainly needs to consider the audience due to that scene in particular and others.

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 4, 2024

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

In our discussion of Australian Horror, I forgot to mention Relic (2020), which I thought had some pretty unique elements and definitely worth a watch. It's currently streaming on Shudder.

The best way I could summarize is the Taking of Deborah Logan with some elements lifted from House of Leaves. If that's enough to pique you're interest I'd recommend skipping the following trailer and going in blind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWhZDQkq0bw

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1778215391833010654

New James McAvoy movie, looks pretty drat good.

(e): Oh apparently it's a remake of a recent Danish movie!

Yeah, and if you haven't seen the original Speak No Evil you'd better do so prior to seeing the remake. Its pretty drat good and there's no chance in hell that they aren't changes to the story, particularly the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Opopanax posted:

I think Assault is the only Carpenter I haven’t seen, but it never seems to be streaming anywhere

Add another big up for Assault on Precinct 13. It's long been one of my favorites of his (granted, basically every JC movie I've seen is a 'favorite'). Love the synth score too, it's a real banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5UU2TxOcZs