Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I only ship Frazier and Carter. They have a lovely house on the outskirts of the mountains with a great view, where they raise their adopted daughter Cassie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Jonl'c

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Carzier

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Wa'yne Bra'dy is gonna have to kree a bitch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love how practical the SG-1 team is. "oh there's a new event that is invisible to us and can open our iris using the computer?" Doesn't take Sam five minutes to say "Well let's install palm scanners on the computer then, they don't have palms".

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
If the Kawoosh destroys all matter, why doesn't it destroy the ramp each time

and they never show the backside of the Kawoosh from the movie, this series is a cheap knock off

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

and they never show the backside of the Kawoosh from the movie, this series is a cheap knock off

Ramp is below the Kawoosh??

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

The ramp is below the kawoosh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I like that the SGC seems pretty OSHA compliant when it comes to the Gate. The ramp is wide and long, allowing wheelchair access. The Woosh line is clearly marked on the floor so there's no mistaking the safe line. Blast doors for extra protection.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Wa'yne Bra'dy is gonna have to kree a bitch

God, I remember my friends and I freaking the gently caress out at that episode when he did get to choke someone.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The ramp is below the kawoosh

Every shot makes it look like the ramp is high enough to be in the kwaoosh

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

redshirt posted:

I like that the SGC seems pretty OSHA compliant when it comes to the Gate. The ramp is wide and long, allowing wheelchair access. The Woosh line is clearly marked on the floor so there's no mistaking the safe line. Blast doors for extra protection.

On the other hand they make the security guys line up in front of the gate, i.e. the only location they could possibly get hit by fire coming though it, or be quickly shot by someone coming though.

Gotta put those guys to the side, ideally slightly behind and beside!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

On the other hand they make the security guys line up in front of the gate, i.e. the only location they could possibly get hit by fire coming though it, or be quickly shot by someone coming though.

Gotta put those guys to the side, ideally slightly behind and beside!

Oh their OHSA compliant, but strategic defense wise, they suck. Tell me why you don't have permanent, armored stations in the gate room. Like at least 3 of them!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Ramp is below the Kawoosh??

If the ramp is below the Kawoosh, why are they just stepping (and not jumping) through the event horizon? There's certainly a part of the Stargate below the ramp

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
valla and tealc is the only correct ship

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

If the ramp is below the Kawoosh, why are they just stepping (and not jumping) through the event horizon? There's certainly a part of the Stargate below the ramp

I don't really understand what you're talking about, the ramp goes up to the floor, the Stargate is on the floor, how would the floor be above the gate

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I don't really understand what you're talking about, the ramp goes up to the floor, the Stargate is on the floor, how would the floor be above the gate

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Stargate activates, vaporizing everything within the event horizon. How does everything in the Stargate circle survive?

even off-world?

(this is a silly point that deserves none of these posts)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The real thing we should be asking (spoilers on the existence, perhaps skip if you are watching for the first time) is that one time Replicarter was all the way into the horizon, but someone was holding her arm to stop her from going through, how did she then come back out and glare menacingly before dropping the arm?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Since they were able to manually account for stellar drift to make the addresses work again, that means they have the means to target a gate at any physical place. That means they can strap a stargate and reactor to a rocket and use the event horizon as a superweapon

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You'd think they'd have a set of stairs or a ramp you just wheel into place after activation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

The real thing we should be asking (spoilers on the existence, perhaps skip if you are watching for the first time) is that one time Replicarter was all the way into the horizon, but someone was holding her arm to stop her from going through, how did she then come back out and glare menacingly before dropping the arm?

She's a Replicator.

Ask yourself first
1 How the Gate defines an individual? and
2 What defines a human form Replicator?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

RepliCarter was one of the better villain ideas.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

She's a Replicator.

Ask yourself first
1 How the Gate defines an individual? and
2 What defines a human form Replicator?

Buffer goes in, buffer goes out, you can't explain that

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shoot, I also ship Replicarter and Five.

Poor Five.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Buffer goes in, buffer goes out, you can't explain that

Indeed.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Just got up to the start of the Conrad/Simmons "arc". (I hesitate to use that word)

I think it was at this point - when Daniel Jackson the Archaeologist was researching a tech millionaire ("oh he diversified his holdings, how smart!", and was running around Secret Agent-style in a hospital (not finding anyone btw) - that Shanks just went "gently caress this" and quit

Not a great episode :\ but Wormhole X-Treme is next!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Stargate activates, vaporizing everything within the event horizon. How does everything in the Stargate circle survive?

even off-world?

(this is a silly point that deserves none of these posts)

Ok I see what you mean now, but the kawoosh does not seem to take up the full diameter of the thing, maybe half.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sentient Data posted:

Since they were able to manually account for stellar drift to make the addresses work again, that means they have the means to target a gate at any physical place. That means they can strap a stargate and reactor to a rocket and use the event horizon as a superweapon

Or you just use the gate to blow up a sun

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

every year on the anniversary of the stargate program the team gets together in the gate room, sings happy birthday to the gate then carefully positions the cake so that the kawoosh blows out the candles

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The gate rotates 90° and says "Whatchu want me to do with this? Eat it?! Happy birthday to the ground!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jacob/Selmak is such a great character. First, just as Sam's Dad. And they have some of the best scenes in early Stargate, as they are both well intentioned and well meaning, but at odds. Jacob should get that Sam CAN'T talk about what she's actually doing, since he's an Air Force General. But he's also a dying father who's decided to spend his last days doing everything he can to get his daughter into the astronaut program.

Carter saying "Dad?" as Jacob walks away politely but obviously in anger is one of the most heartbreaking moments of the show.

And then, he becomes one of the most wise and respected Tok'Ra, a long time leader.

BUT, over time, he becomes less and less trusted by the Tok'Ra because of his "too close" connections to the Tau'ri.

It's just a fascinating storyline.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
A good low-tech alternative to the iris would be to just dig a 100-foot vertical pit directly below the gate. Maybe not so great for filtering out things like bombs, small gliders and energy field weapons though

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

redshirt posted:

Jacob/Selmak is such a great character.

It's just a fascinating storyline.

Yeah, hard agree. They got so much material out of that/those character(s). It helped that the actor had great chemistry with Amanda Tapping.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Owl at Home posted:

A good low-tech alternative to the iris would be to just dig a 100-foot vertical pit directly below the gate. Maybe not so great for filtering out things like bombs, small gliders and energy field weapons though

Burying the gate works, so all you'd have to do is have some kind of cylinder roughly the size of the hole to shove into the gate or tilt the gate and lower it onto.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, hard agree. They got so much material out of that/those character(s). It helped that the actor had great chemistry with Amanda Tapping.

I also loved that Jacob had a long history with Hammond. And one assumes that plays some role in how Hammond dealt with Carter.

Another of my favorite scenes is when Carter and Hammond are at Jacob's hospital bedside, giving him the 100% truth. And he's like, why are you here loving with me at first. And then....

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

drop the gate in a ball pit - the balls stop the wormhole from forming - then just fish it out when sg13 is due to come home

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Owl at Home posted:

Put the gate on a big gimbal, so you can pitch it up 90 degrees, and put a big rear end steel grate just above the kawoosh height. Energy beam weapons still a problem, but anybody coming through that immediately falls back into the horizon, any flying doodads crash into the grate and then do the same.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Put the gate on a big gimbal, so you can pitch it up 90 degrees, and put a big rear end steel grate just above the kawoosh height. Energy beam weapons still a problem, but anybody coming through that immediately falls back into the horizon, any flying doodads crash into the grate and then do the same.

point the gate down into a volcano. Hope you like magma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

:newlol: