Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Owl at Home posted:

When did Atlantis get spun off from SG1? Season six, seven? I recall watching new episodes back to back for quite a while when they were on the air, but I remember a lot more stuff from SG1 than Atlantis. Probably because of reruns

Atlantis proceeds directly from the events of the season 7 finale, "The Lost City", and was produced and aired concurrently with SG-1 while they were both airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

McSpanky posted:

Atlantis proceeds directly from the events of the season 7 finale, "The Lost City", and was produced and aired concurrently with SG-1 while they were both airing.

But it still would be S7 SG-1 last episode, S8 SG-1 episode 1, and then Atlantis episode 1, right?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

But it still would be S7 SG-1 last episode, S8 SG-1 episode 1, and then Atlantis episode 1, right?

I don't remember how it originally aired but that's the general idea, yeah. Almost certainly how you'd see it in a syndicated rerun package.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

Wait until the season where he literally phoned in his lines (he wanted to be with his family)

I don't really blame him. He starred/produced the show for 7 years, and then had lots of tv filming previously.

Filming 22-23 episode TV shows sounds brutal. Long days, tight deadlines, etc

So RDA wanted to ease out of the show and focus on his new daughter, which he did. He never gave up on the show though, making appearances here and there.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I remember the name "department of homeworld security" making me lol when I first heard it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The logical thing to do would be to make him essentially the General Hammond on the show who is a main cast member but in a more limited capacity and not necessarily even in all episodes. Or on the joint chief of staffs for SGC as a military branch, appearing via video.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I hope i don't learn anything about rda, he seems like a really cool and chill dude making the right moves and that's more than enough in my book

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The logical thing to do would be to make him essentially the General Hammond on the show who is a main cast member but in a more limited capacity and not necessarily even in all episodes. Or on the joint chief of staffs for SGC as a military branch, appearing via video.

I thought that was what they did - he was in command of the SGC Command for a season, then got put in charge of Homeworld Security after Hammond died.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Glad to see they followed my recommendation

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Somebody even posted a big Google sheet with a recommended watch order, I can't vouch for it being the best order, but it's what I'm using as we watch SGA for the first time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b5T6bk5bS9LDaIVXR55-agOd_FYgTN0TZcpZDfvnMg4/edit?usp=drivesdk

It's got the movies in there too

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I hope i don't learn anything about rda, he seems like a really cool and chill dude making the right moves and that's more than enough in my book

For more RDA wholesomeness, check out his personal site (looks like it's from 1997), curated by a super fan for decades.
https://www.rdanderson.com/

RDA had a dog he really loved and it died a few years back and you can see how much it affected him.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

redshirt posted:

For more RDA wholesomeness, check out his personal site (looks like it's from 1997), curated by a super fan for decades.
https://www.rdanderson.com/

RDA had a dog he really loved and it died a few years back and you can see how much it affected him.

Lmao

https://www.rdanderson.com/updates/index.htm#20240408eclipse

quote:

I jumped the gun when I took this shot from the ground outside my balcony window in France. 

I didn't want to miss the E. Klips so I started early grabbing pix o' the sky... clouds 'n' all.

Yep...that's what I did, you betcha...

I certainly did do that... Juuuust to be sher... fer sher! A week early, on a scattered-cloudy day, in Europe, an ocean & a continent wide of the mark...

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

I gotta say in the finale of season 2 and the opener or season 3 Richard Dean Anderson seemed checked the gently caress out. Like about to be implanted with a Goa'uld the only emotion I could read from him was mild annoyance like "I wasn't even supposed to be here today".

I mean, to be fair, it was a lovely 2 parter.

Dude's body was literally falling apart, his IRL knee surgery was written into the show, all the times he was in the infirmary was no doubt "oh gently caress RDA can't walk this week, let's have a episode about the other 3"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I mean, to be fair, it was a lovely 2 parter.

Dude's body was literally falling apart, his IRL knee surgery was written into the show, all the times he was in the infirmary was no doubt "oh gently caress RDA can't walk this week, let's have a episode about the other 3"

I like the part in the flashback where Hathor takes off her bra to reveal a smaller more humorous bra underneath, makes me laugh every time.

I also like when the T'okra has like two death scenes and then wakes up a third time and is like "Oh I guess I'm not dying nevermind"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Almost done with SGA. I like it, it is not as good as SG1 but it’s great for what it is. I feel like it was just gearing up, too.

I am apprehensive about Universe, largely because no one ever talks about it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean I remember really liking it at the time, if only because I loved watching Robert Carlyle tearing it up. But then the fact that it gets cancelled at the exact moment it's finding itself really stings.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

well why not posted:

Almost done with SGA. I like it, it is not as good as SG1 but it’s great for what it is. I feel like it was just gearing up, too.

I am apprehensive about Universe, largely because no one ever talks about it.

The first season was really bad. I can't speak for the second season. It has none of the fun adventure vibes of SG1 and SGA and instead went for gritty BSG vibes because that's what was popular at the time. The change in tone was really jarring, almost comical. It was like that teen parody version of Stargate they did in episode 200 except for real.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

The first season was really bad. I can't speak for the second season. It has none of the fun adventure vibes of SG1 and SGA and instead went for gritty BSG vibes because that's what was popular at the time. The change in tone was really jarring, almost comical. It was like that teen parody version of Stargate they did in episode 200 except for real.

Yeah the first season is pretty weak, it doesn’t really get fun until Momoa shows up tbh. The fellow he replaces seems like a huge wimp despite being a tough guy in the story. He’s out pretty quickly and had a fun arc as a guest star.

They soon figure out the show is best when it’s just Hanging With The Boys. That’s when you get stuff like playing golf into the sea, RC cars, fishing and the weird video game episode.

Impressive commitment to making the Wraith really unapologetically evil. There’s not a dissenter. They’re just bad for humanity. The Genii are also dickheads but their arc really petered out. A sixth season really would’ve been worthwhile.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

well why not posted:

Yeah the first season is pretty weak, it doesn’t really get fun until Momoa shows up tbh. The fellow he replaces seems like a huge wimp despite being a tough guy in the story. He’s out pretty quickly and had a fun arc as a guest star.

They soon figure out the show is best when it’s just Hanging With The Boys. That’s when you get stuff like playing golf into the sea, RC cars, fishing and the weird video game episode.

Impressive commitment to making the Wraith really unapologetically evil. There’s not a dissenter. They’re just bad for humanity. The Genii are also dickheads but their arc really petered out. A sixth season really would’ve been worthwhile.

oh whoops, i was talking about Universe. but yeah, I agree about Atlantis. Once Momoa shows up it gets good.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

1glitch0 posted:

If people wanted to watch a young adult sci-fi drama about teens stranded in space they wouldn't have cancelled Hypernauts.

Remember Hypernauts? The kids had mechs they drove occasionally and it kinda looked like Babylon 5.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

oh whoops, i was talking about Universe. but yeah, I agree about Atlantis. Once Momoa shows up it gets good.

That’s my mistake. That said, it’s pretty rote for s1 of any show to be a bit dull. Usually it’s two or three, so in that way SGA had a head start.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Universe is gritty and horny in a way neither of the others are, but they found their groove just in time to have a full good season before cancellation

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

All i remember from sgu was they had an episode about how someone needed to go into an airless compartment to press an Important Button and die. And there was No Other Way, look, you can see this button here, on the livefeed from the camera equipped robot we are using.

Major Betheseda writer vibes

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SG-U's whole thing is Hard Decisions Made By That Fucker From BSG until it isn't

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SGU just shows its potential at the end and never really delivers. It is worth watching but not a rewatch like sg1 and sga. What you don't even watch is infinity and origin (was that the name)

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I remember stumbling across Stargate Infinity while flipping through channels in the wee hours of the morning like 'WTF is this? There's a Stargate cartoon??' In the early aughts there wasn't a comprehensive wiki for everything in existence yet, so even when I tried to look it up online later there was basically no info on it at all.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Owl at Home posted:

I remember stumbling across Stargate Infinity while flipping through channels in the wee hours of the morning like 'WTF is this? There's a Stargate cartoon??' In the early aughts there wasn't a comprehensive wiki for everything in existence yet, so even when I tried to look it up online later there was basically no info on it at all.

Banger of an intro though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67E-_SQLVRo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Loved that episode with Katana, a Goa'uld posing as a Free Jaffa leader.

But it feels like Teal'c should have faced some consequences from the SGC. Or, maybe?
He disobeyed O'Neill pretty directly. Maybe it can all be hand waved as "Jaffa" stuff, because there's certainly other times too.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

redshirt posted:

Mild spoilers there is a future clip show that features clips from a previous clip show, and dog gone, I love it.

which one

also it is always funny how MGM and Sci-Fi just... completely killed the franchise. Like holy poo poo, has there ever been a deep dive into what happened? They grew this from a cheap low budget Showtime throw-away show carried entirely by Richard Dean Anderson's charisma into supplanting Star Trek as the premiere science fiction show, and then promptly shat the bed entirely and the franchise has been dead for close to 15 years. Like dead dead, completely dead. Dead in a way that not even post-cancellation Star Trek was.

I cannot think of another example of a franchise so decisively killing itself than with the SG1 movies being lame trash and SGU cutting the heart out of the franchise.

No video games, no merchandizing, and they tried to launch a streaming service that was solely SG1 episodes.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 19, 2024

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's not really so much that they killed the franchise, as much as MGM completed imploded in the wake of the 2008 Financial Crisis.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SRQ posted:

which one

also it is always funny how MGM and Sci-Fi just... completely killed the franchise. Like holy poo poo, has there ever been a deep dive into what happened? They grew this from a cheap low budget Showtime throw-away show carried entirely by Richard Dean Anderson's charisma into supplanting Star Trek as the premiere science fiction show, and then promptly shat the bed entirely and the franchise has been dead for close to 15 years. Like dead dead, completely dead. Dead in a way that not even post-cancellation Star Trek was.

I cannot think of another example of a franchise so decisively killing itself than with the SG1 movies being lame trash and SGU cutting the heart out of the franchise.

No video games, no merchandizing, and they tried to launch a streaming service that was solely SG1 episodes.

Actually they released a new video game this year on Steam, to mixed reviews (57%) Stargate: Timekeepers. Appears to be an RTS

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never gave Stargate the time of day because I was a Star Trek fan and it seemed dumb just from seeing it for a few seconds here and there on commercials or flipping channels.

Never even thought about it while Star Trek was off the air, with my main reaction being "They're still making that?"

Since 2009 Trek has been back, and generally mixed in quality.

I decided to jump into SG-1 because basically at this point they have started to cancel all the Star Treks again and by the end of the year only one show will be left that at best delivers ten episodes a year, sometimes with a year's hiatus. So hopefully the powers that be will bring back Stargate sometime soon.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I am now imagining Stargate: Lower Decks. And it's glorious.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sardonik posted:

Starring Pierre Bernard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I noticed Master Sargent Walter Harriman is back in season 2 and I think he wasn't in season 2 at all... Was he back by popular demand?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
mgm is owned by amazon now but they seem to just be adapting popular media to make new stuff. so i think we have a chance of seeing new stargate stuff. more so if someone could create a buzz around it that got back to the money men at amazon studios

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Apparently they go to Camelot later, could they go to Middle Earth with a Stargate? Jeff Bezos would greenlight immediately

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

mgm is owned by amazon now but they seem to just be adapting popular media to make new stuff. so i think we have a chance of seeing new stargate stuff. more so if someone could create a buzz around it that got back to the money men at amazon studios

There were some hot rumors last year about Amazon launching a new show, but I don't think it's gone anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sardonik posted:

SG-99, the second contact team.