Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

wait i don't remember this

He voiced the Goa'uld as Unas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The FIRST GOA'ULD, which one might think is a big deal but I guess not

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The FIRST GOA'ULD, which one might think is a big deal but I guess not

You may not have to come to the episode where.... spoiler

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Really likes Jack explaining politely to the Asgard "Look as much as you say we are not ready, we are already out there. We are already in space and trying our best. It's too late, we are extremely curious."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Really likes Jack explaining politely to the Asgard "Look as much as you say we are not ready, we are already out there. We are already in space and trying our best. It's too late, we are extremely curious."

Jack truly is the best and worst avatar of Earth

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Jack truly is the best and worst avatar of Earth

Jack really is their hero though. He saved their rear end once of course. But even before that the Asgard were watching the Tau'ri.

And then that same guy suddenly Gates to you, with the knowledge of the Ancients? The gently caress?

And then he takes the humbling step of kneeling and shaking their hand. He won them all over on that trip.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Thor: I have just met Colonel Jack O'Neill. But if anything were to happen to him I would kill all the Goa'uld and then myself.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Thor: I have just met Colonel Jack O'Neill. But if anything were to happen to him I would kill all the Goa'uld and then myself.

Thor was about to die, and as a last ditch effort took his ship to Earth and beamed up O'Neill onto a ship full of Replicators, and you know what? Thor was right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This was like ten episodes back but when Hammond sent everyone back to Chulak to save R'yac and said "Apothis is only a secondary mission, your primary objective is to save Teal'c's son" you could really see the respect and gratefulness on Teal'c's almost expressionless face

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

"Nobody interferes in human space exploration except the Asgard! ...and maybe the Nox."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That feeling when you gain "Protected Planet" status.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did not realize until halfway through season 2 here that Stargates are one way. I thought if someone opened one from the other side you could go through

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I did not realize until halfway through season 2 here that Stargates are one way. I thought if someone opened one from the other side you could go through

Yeah, it's not something that's really highlighted very often so I can see why it would be easy to miss. They mention at some point that it allows two-way transmission of radio waves, hence why they can talk back and forth on the radio and send MALP telemetry back, but matter is only one way.

I guess it was like that even in the movie, otherwise it wouldn't have been such a big deal that they needed to figure out how to dial back to Earth from Abydos - they could have just waited until Earth dialed again and hopped back through.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This black hole episode is great, the second they tried to shut off the gate and biting happened I was like "Oh poo poo" every time a time dilation starts to happen it's pretty horrifying

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, it's not something that's really highlighted very often so I can see why it would be easy to miss. They mention at some point that it allows two-way transmission of radio waves, hence why they can talk back and forth on the radio and send MALP telemetry back, but matter is only one way.

I guess it was like that even in the movie, otherwise it wouldn't have been such a big deal that they needed to figure out how to dial back to Earth from Abydos - they could have just waited until Earth dialed again and hopped back through.

What happen if you go through from the back

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

OK I have some basic Stargate questions that might embarrass me but I'm gonna ask anyways:

Does "The Woosh" go both ways when a gate is dialed?
If so, how can the Iris possibly work? Or is the iris only activated once the wormhole is established?
Also, how does the Gate know when to shutdown?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

redshirt posted:

OK I have some basic Stargate questions that might embarrass me but I'm gonna ask anyways:

If so, how can the Iris possibly work? Or is the iris only activated once the wormhole is established?

I'm pretty sure they always close the iris after the woosh

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

I'm pretty sure they always close the iris after the woosh

nah, they kinda handwavy explain this when they introduce the iris.
The iris is so close to the event horizon that the whoosh doesn't form.
They regularly close the iris as they see someone is dialing in, and you hear the whoosh while the iris is closed

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

redshirt posted:

Stargates can stay open for 38 minutes UNLESS you can provide a LOT of power.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I thought one of the early ones they had to keep the iris closed constantly because Apophis or whoever was smacking the redial button and calling them back as soon as the gate disconnected

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

it's Kawoosh, they are consistent in this!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cthulu Carl posted:

I thought one of the early ones they had to keep the iris closed constantly because Apophis or whoever was smacking the redial button and calling them back as soon as the gate disconnected

Yeah episode 3

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Sokar's particle accelerator too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That later returns for Anubis in a much more dramatic fashion.

e: was it Sokar?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

That later returns for Anubis in a much more dramatic fashion.

e: was it Sokar?

Anubis was just a Sokar wannabe. Or maybe vice versa.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

definitely backward

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The real important question is did they have to clean the back of the iris after things thudded into it.

EDIT: Gimme THAT Pressure Washer Simulator DLC

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

The real important question is did they have to clean the back of the iris after things thudded into it.

EDIT: Gimme THAT Pressure Washer Simulator DLC

SILER!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Thor was about to die, and as a last ditch effort took his ship to Earth and beamed up O'Neill onto a ship full of Replicators, and you know what? Thor was right.

thor knew that the asgard had become stuck in a specific way of thinking and they needed outside perspective and that jack sam etc have that

its funny because thor is trying to compliment them but it comes off as extremely back handed like you dumb apes have dumb solutions we need a dumb solution

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

thor knew that the asgard had become stuck in a specific way of thinking and they needed outside perspective and that jack sam etc have that

its funny because thor is trying to compliment them but it comes off as extremely back handed like you dumb apes have dumb solutions we need a dumb solution

Daniel: So.... you need someone, "dumber" than yourselves.....

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looking at upcoming episode descriptions and they usually end with an actor who is in the episode and it comes across kind of funny like

"The SG-1 team gets caught between two different civilizations trying to colonize the same planet. With Richard Dean Anderson."

Like the two civilizations want this planet cause it has Richard Dean Anderson

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

No they're both trying to colonize it with RDA

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Looking at upcoming episode descriptions and they usually end with an actor who is in the episode and it comes across kind of funny like

"The SG-1 team gets caught between two different civilizations trying to colonize the same planet. With Richard Dean Anderson."

Like the two civilizations want this planet cause it has Richard Dean Anderson

Patty/Selma: Ohhn, Richard Dean Anderson!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love the little pop culture references O'Neill is always making that literally no one gets and he basically just kind of sits there in frustration not even trying to explain it.

Like in the last episode Daniel said that essentially Sokar is the original Satan, and O'Neill replies "Well isn't that special" the SNL church lady line, nobody reacts and he just kind of walks off awkwardly

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

"Didn't any of you build ships in bottles?" Energy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I gotta say as a 41 year old man who has watched a lot of sci Fi that usually has a character designed to appeal to forty something year old men, Crusher, Troi, Dax, Seven, Abby (NCIS), Inara, Kaylee, Samantha Carter might be the most appealing to me personally as a character they want you to fall in love with and tune in every week to see. So I'm glad to hear she's in basically the whole thing and then in the spin-off. She rules. And because it is such a small cast she gets a LOT to do and is not relegated to just being a supporting character.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What are the shipping names? I would assume:

O'Neal'c (the most common I assume)
Teal'carter (I bet this is the rarest ship)
JackJackson
Danieal'c
Samiel
Danielle
Jackarter

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's shipper names???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

What are the shipping names? I would assume:

O'Neal'c (the most common I assume)
Teal'carter (I bet this is the rarest ship)
JackJackson
Danieal'c
Samiel
Danielle
Jackarter

Nobody is so crass as to write Stargate fanfic. It's disrespectful. Any and all ships are kept private so as to make this not weird and full of drama for everyone.

(Frasier/Vala and Hammond/Bra'Tac and Woolsey/anyone obviously)

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 15, 2024