Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jiro posted:

Was AnimEVO side tournaments not a thing this year?

Not under a central umbrella. Last year they were called Vortex Gallery instead of AnimeEVO, and that name seems to have stuck for other tournaments since, but they did not show up for this year's EVO. Instead, different initiatives apparently popped up, but they lacked a stronger organized effort seen in previous years from what I gather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Aceking put together numbers on top 6 runtime + ads, last year's numbers are in the thread

https://twitter.com/acekingoffsuit/status/1689328508953047054

(I don't know how to put threads together for those with no account)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Not under a central umbrella. Last year they were called Vortex Gallery instead of AnimeEVO, and that name seems to have stuck for other tournaments since, but they did not show up for this year's EVO. Instead, different initiatives apparently popped up, but they lacked a stronger organized effort seen in previous years from what I gather.

Oh yeah I forgot they changed the name.

Was just a bummer I couldn't find any competitive Catherine or Puyo Puyo this year. :smith:

Puyo Puyo for the Marvel slot Sunday Grand Finals next year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

iPodschun posted:

Aceking put together numbers on top 6 runtime + ads, last year's numbers are in the thread

https://twitter.com/acekingoffsuit/status/1689328508953047054

(I don't know how to put threads together for those with no account)

"Across all 9 finals in '22 there were 259 min. of ad breaks (28 per game). That dropped nearly 45% to 145 min. (16 per game) in '23."

Seems good

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

morestuff posted:

"Across all 9 finals in '22 there were 259 min. of ad breaks (28 per game). That dropped nearly 45% to 145 min. (16 per game) in '23."

Seems good

Top 6 keeps on winning.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk he doesn't count time between brackets as ad time but it probably should be. Also the frequency of ad breaks went up significantly which makes the show worse.

Also they're comparing it to Evo 2022 which also sucked rear end in terms of ads. Id be curious to see what these numbers look like compared to other majors, and what a local top 8 looks like that's just ppl with no sponsors running a tourney.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When can I subscribe to Evo Premium so I don't have to sit through another Qanba ad break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Cat Machine posted:

SonicFox revealed today that he was offered a spot at the Gamers8 invitational in Saudi Arabia, but dropped out because he "doesn't enter tournaments he can't win" - I wonder if that's just a kinda weird excuse for being rightfully terrified of visiting the country as an LGBT person

The same tweet also says they'd go if there were a MK1 tournament, though. https://twitter.com/SonicFox/status/1689020179907481603